• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't too much trouble, could the REgals and also Professor Beef (for some reason; it's a sticky so I'm new) summon H.Pro? Things just always seem better when H.Pro is around telling people stuff. Her head is like a square and I think she has guns. Don't know what's going on there, but it's better when she's around.
missed this post before.
We can't summon her, the toddlers' pull is too strong. She is most likely to be found in the Writers OT when she is available.
She continues to be a member of era under the same name so if she isn't posting, real life is busy.

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... threads on women's issues on this forum sometimes feel like beating one's head against a billion diamond walls. Men all over the place more concerned with saving face than listening, as per usual. Sorry, just had to vent a bit of frustration.

Edit: I will say this. Clicking the "show ignored posts" button and seeing the entire thread filled with red banners consistently posting the same bullshit again and again makes me go "thank god for the ignore function". Too bad I can never keep from clicking that button long enough to not lose most of my sanity.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I took one look at the "female" thread read one page and didn't even want to reply, was way, way too lopsided in the non good way ugh... But of course it's always easy to dismiss anything related when you aren't part of the target group.

"But my wife says otherwise" me if old /rant

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, just spend some time on Reddit where it's such a common thing for reddit users to constantly call women 'females' to the point that it's become a running joke on certain subreddits criticizing this sort of thing by calling all women 'feeemmmaaallleeess' to mock them. To say that it's not a thing or that it can't be dehumanizing just kinda shows that guys have a long way to go before they'll actually listen to what women are saying or consider why we may have a problem with such a thing in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
The frustrating part is that it's just such basic shit. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that language affects social power dynamics, especially not when someone is literally telling you exactly how it is affecting them.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
That would be too much work though and even if they did I'm sure some would find the one example out of many that was different and latch on to it to use to dismiss all the other opinions.

Much easier to just blame our sensibilities, emotions, hormones, wanting to be the victim, looking for attention, or it's all in our head and we don't know what we are talking about.

Ugh...

Never thought something as simple as that threads op would garner so many of those types of responses and that so many don't get what is painfully obvious and gratingly frequent in usage even on this forum in my casual browsing of it.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I love that the OP is clear about not using females when using men in the same sentance/context but posters were tripping over themselves to post about how they use "female poster/respondent/any other noun" all the time and such.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
Sigh... threads on women's issues on this forum sometimes feel like beating one's head against a billion diamond walls. Men all over the place more concerned with saving face than listening, as per usual. Sorry, just had to vent a bit of frustration.

Idk how much clearer the OP had to be without completely spelling out to them. First time I read it, I understood the context completely and agreed. I love how it devolved into whining about political correctness instead of just shutting up and putting themselves in our shoes for a few minutes.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ladies, this is a good time for me to post this: If you see something, REPORT IT. Mods will see all reported posts, making it quicker and easier for them to take action. It's been working out quite well for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Ladies, this is a good time for me to post this: If you see something, REPORT IT. Mods will see all reported posts, making it quicker and easier for them to take action. It's been working out quite well for me.

Unfortunately many of the posts are actively avoiding that by shrouding their claims in civility and "just asking questions", as usual. But yeah, good suggestion for the overtly obvious ones.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Linkura thank you for saying what I came here to say. ^^ Even if we end up not actioning a reported post, it's still helpful, for example to get eyes on the thread, etc.

Also I do wish more female posters DID post their thoughts more (though I can understand if they feel it's too exhausting or annoying). The thread is re-open, by the way, so feel free to do that if you wanted to but couldn't earlier.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To report posts you have to not have said ppl on ignore already. Also JAQing off is way more tolerated here so hey usually get away with it anyway.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me entering that females thread and reading the first page:
oei68365pyj01.gif

Also hello everyone. Sort of new sort of not. I've been lurking in here for a while and finally decided to stop lurking and say hello. ^^

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally turned on the ignore function the other day and it's godly. I used to want to read everything but after awhile you get tired of reading the same garbage from the same posters.

Me entering that females thread and reading the first page:
oei68365pyj01.gif

Also hello everyone. Sort of new sort of not. I've been lurking in here for a while and finally decided to stop lurking and say hello. ^^

lmao I love this gif

Oh and hello!

Oct 25, 2017
I finally turned on the ignore function the other day and it's godly. I used to want to read everything but after awhile you get tired of reading the same garbage from the same posters.

Yep. At first I was like "aaaah but what if this poster actually posts something good at some point and I miss it?" Nah, turns out every time I read what the people on my ignore list have written it is consistently the worst shit one can find on this forum. My threshold has become incredibly low nowadays and my experience here is all the better for it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well, bloodwork is back and it's all normal. Wondering if I should still press on and see a rheumatologist just in case. Thoughts?

Per doctor Google, I have the bolded symptoms:
Pain areas: in the joints, back, or muscles
Joints: stiffness,
swelling, tenderness, or weakness
Whole body: fatigue,
anemia, or malaise
Skin: lumps or redness
Hand: bump on the finger or swelling
Also common: flare, dry mouth, physical deformity, or sensation of pins and needles [with cubital tunnel syndrome in my elbow nerves]

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can push for it, but those symptoms are common to all autoimmune diseases, basically, and since they tend to be systemic rather than specific, are often left without diagnosis and generally ignored.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed your candle analogy, tyrant.

Bahaha, thanks! Was really hoping someone would find it as much fun as I had writing it up. I tend to be a somewhat vitriolic poster (hopefully with good reason, most of the time) but I feel like injecting some level of absurdist humor into the vitriol is incredibly satisfying and serves to make people who agree with the points that much more enthusiastic about the issue. At least it has that effect on me, but I'm sure a lot of my fondness for that genuinely stems from being surrounded by toxic masculinity throughout my upbringing. It's something I wrestle with every day but I feel like the least I can do is harness that behavior for something generally positive. Civility is great but I know there are other people out there like me who are actually drawn to the other approach, and I'd rather have them not end up crazy alt-right morons simply because that side has a monopoly on vitriolic punchlines, if that makes any sense? Again, kinda struggling with making sense of this approach sometimes but that's where I'm at right now.

Either way, like I said in that post, I'm a bit more hopeful about that thread and am really happy to see so many people having the energy to take that (honestly kinda bullshit) fight to the point where most people who were initially clueless are starting to come around and getting it. Kudos to y'all.

Edit: Another fun fact – this is, to my recollection, the only thread on this forum where the "Show ignored posts" button doesn't appear for me, haha. What is this, a bunch of normal people who don't have shitty opinions about everything!?

You can push for it, but those symptoms are common to all autoimmune diseases, basically, and since they tend to be systemic rather than specific, are often left without diagnosis and generally ignored.

God, tell me about it. All analysis thus far points to me having an incredibly rare neurological disease that causes most of those symptoms in an intense way, but the only way to diagnose it is to rule out literally everything else. Sucks for me because I also have ADHD (a neurological factor) that I've only recently had diagnosed and started receiving treatment for – pretty much putting the other actually physically debilitating disease on halt in terms of diagnosis because they need to rule the ADHD out as a factor... even though it clearly has little to do with my recent physical issues. Sigh.

Either way, to the post you quoted; definitely do push for anything if you have the energy for it. These things are incredibly hard to get support from doctors for because they are rarely life-threatening and for some reason most doctors don't view them as important even though they slowly wear you down and drastically lower one's quality of life over time. Sorry if I missed some part of this discussion, only followed the last two replies.

Last edited:

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
how do you do fellow females

i noticed i've been femaling a lot lately
it would appropriate to classify me as hysterical
since my ovaruterus is out of control!
i just catch myself getting too emotional
and i think "ah! such a female way to go about things!"
once i shut it down though i start acting more logical and normal

any of my fellow females have tips to stop femaling??

I think my iron levels are a bit low.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, bloodwork is back and it's all normal. Wondering if I should still press on and see a rheumatologist just in case. Thoughts?

Per doctor Google, I have the bolded symptoms:
Pain areas: in the joints, back, or muscles
Joints: stiffness,
swelling, tenderness, or weakness
Whole body: fatigue,
anemia, or malaise
Skin: lumps or redness
Hand: bump on the finger or swelling
Also common: flare, dry mouth, physical deformity, or sensation of pins and needles [with cubital tunnel syndrome in my elbow nerves]

If you can you should. A rheumatologist will be better able to diagnose you and fight your insurance to get you medicine.

Often times autoimmune diseases don't show in bloodwork at all, they would need to pull fluid directly from an effected joint for testing. This is especially true if your symptoms are new-ish.

PixelParty

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would rather individuals with those sorts of attitudes continue to call us "females", it's like a red alert to let you know what sort of person you are dealing with.

Rather that than they learn the appropriate social cues and go into stealth mode.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If you can you should. A rheumatologist will be better able to diagnose you and fight your insurance to get you medicine.

Often times autoimmune diseases don't show in bloodwork at all, they would need to pull fluid directly from an effected joint for testing. This is especially true if your symptoms are new-ish.
Yeah, I'm thinking I will. I've reached my deductible for my health insurance for the year so it won't cost me much other than time, and it would be good to know for sure. Thanks.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked out that thread on Etcetera, and holy crap, it's a disaster. I barely read the first page then checked out - I'm amazed that stuff that should be so obvious still has to be explained like that to the rest of the posters, and of course, there are always the assholes that will argue and whine about it.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA

Maybe I should ask about pulling fluid from my joints. My doctor hasn't mentioned that yet. He also doesn't do really good at fighting the insurance either. I need a new doctor.

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and the first time I went to a doctor about it, he ran one blood test and then concluded that I was fine and basically told me to exercise more and go away. With some doctors, you definitely have to push and push to get listened to and tested properly. Don't be afraid to have a high turnover of doctors if they won't do that for you.

I've had it for 15 years now and I elected not to take any medication for it, like my mother (who's had it for 40-something years). Mostly because where I'm at, you'll get methotrexate, not biologics. At risk of being all 'do as I say, not as I do', I'd do research carefully and speak to other sufferers and stuff before making any decisions about taking or not taking the drugs. If I could start over and be on biologics from day 1, I would probably do that. But I'm still not taking MTX.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and the first time I went to a doctor about it, he ran one blood test and then concluded that I was fine and basically told me to exercise more and go away. With some doctors, you definitely have to push and push to get listened to and tested properly. Don't be afraid to have a high turnover of doctors if they won't do that for you.

I've had it for 15 years now and I elected not to take any medication for it, like my mother (who's had it for 40-something years). Mostly because where I'm at, you'll get methotrexate, not biologics. At risk of being all 'do as I say, not as I do', I'd do research carefully and speak to other sufferers and stuff before making any decisions about taking or not taking the drugs. If I could start over and be on biologics from day 1, I would probably do that. But I'm still not taking MTX.
So was the proper testing testing the joint fluid or should I be looking for something else?

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So was the proper testing testing the joint fluid or should I be looking for something else?

It can also be done with joint imaging. They can see the damage, and the narrowing of the gap that should be visible where cartilage has eroded. I don't know how reliable that would be in someone whose symptoms are pretty new, though.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
It can also be done with joint imaging. They can see the damage, and the narrowing of the gap that should be visible where cartilage has eroded. I don't know how reliable that would be in someone whose symptoms are pretty new, though.

My doctor tried that, but since I've just recently started showing symptoms, "not enough damage" was shown on there. Sounds like Methotrexate is a nightmare. Once I find a correct doctor, I'll definitely push for a biologic.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks ladies.

I've had arthritis for 3 years, but it hasn't really progressed due to using braces 99% of the time (only take them off in the shower).

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how much clearer the OP had to be without completely spelling out to them. First time I read it, I understood the context completely and agreed. I love how it devolved into whining about political correctness instead of just shutting up and putting themselves in our shoes for a few minutes.

Basic empathy does not come naturally to many.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My partner is thinking of the implant out of the choices for birth control as we are coming up to our wedding. We are not looking to have kids for at least a year or two. What are your preferences?

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
My partner is thinking of the implant out of the choices for birth control as we are coming up to our wedding. We are not looking to have kids for at least a year or two. What are your preferences?

I thought about using the implant but ultimately opted for the 5-year IUD. I love it! I don't have to think of taking pills or the thought of pregnancy. The cool part about the IUD is you can get pregnant 2 weeks after it's removed and it can be inserted after giving birth so it's really flexible in that way.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought about using the implant but ultimately opted for the 5-year IUD. I love it! I don't have to think of taking pills or the thought of pregnancy. The cool part about the IUD is you can get pregnant 2 weeks after it's removed and it can be inserted after giving birth so it's really flexible in that way.
Ah, cool! I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
These Psychocrasha threads scare the shit out of me. I wish there was a way to reach out to the wife.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. That sounds like a nightmare. It also made me think about a friend who just finished a divorce with her abusive husband.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at. There is too many bad things going on when I'm offline that I don't wanna read about people doing shitty things on the internet right now. I just look at my watched threads most days.
I avoid pretty much everything at this stage not even communities I used to be very active in I look at much if at all. I mean I'm there if people want me but at the end of the day I spend most of it in isolation checking on watched threads.
These Psychocrasha threads scare the shit out of me. I wish there was a way to reach out to the wife.
They remind me far too much of personal experiences, reading about it on here make me rather uncomfortable, not only for the situation at present but what it leads too.

PixelParty

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All these thinly veiled sexist threads remind me that honestly one of the things that has increased the quality of life the most for me is when I became to "old" to be considered fuckable by most men.

I only speak for myself but I much prefer erasure to harassment.

It's like how most men think catcalling isn't "that bad". It's because the men that do it aren't stupid enough to catcall a "claimed" woman and risk getting their ass beat.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the Genesis days, did you ever think Sega would stoop to this kind of shit?
37767184_10100229221644926_9126259506282496000_n.jpg
Not back then, but Sega's been about that life,for a while.
segahardgirls.gif

I didn't ask for this.

BTW, this is probably the first time I post here. I actively try not to, because I realize how frustrating the rest of the forum must be, and I don't wanna intrude with my male presence in here too much.