• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Ugh, you get me.

Speaking of birth control pills, has anyone experienced any bad side effects? I've never been on the pill, just out of fear of those. =/ Women always talk about acne and weight gain. I'm not worried about the weight gain so much because I could use some weight anyway, but I take good care of my skin and it would suck if I got uncontrollable acne from the pill now. The thought has me cringing.
It is harder to lose weight and easier to gain it. I'd get some pretty massive cravings moments where I had to eat to calm my stomach.

Acne though I've not heard of. If anything my skin was nicer on it than off .

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, you get me.

Speaking of birth control pills, has anyone experienced any bad side effects? I've never been on the pill, just out of fear of those. =/ Women always talk about acne and weight gain. I'm not worried about the weight gain so much because I could use some weight anyway, but I take good care of my skin and it would suck if I got uncontrollable acne from the pill now. The thought has me cringing.
Personally, they gave me the pill to fix my acné. After I was put on it, I never had the breakouts I had in my teens again and plus a good daily routine, my whiteheads are very uncommon.

From weight... It hasn't affected me much. I've managed to lose weight with it, although its a bit hard. When I gained weight it was due to me completely losing control of what I ate.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about going on bc because my doc suggested it could help my chronic migraines. I guess it would be a nice bonus if it nixed the one massive, painful cystic pimple that reliably appears after I ovulate.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I've been thinking about going on bc because my doc suggested it could help my chronic migraines. I guess it would be a nice bonus if it nixed the one massive, painful cystic pimple that reliably appears after I ovulate.
That's weird, I had that same problem when I was a teenager, with a cystic pimple below my left shoulder blade. Once on the pill it just sort of burst on its own while I was sleeping and it never came back after, even going off the pill.

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird, I had that same problem when I was a teenager, with a cystic pimple below my left shoulder blade. Once on the pill it just sort of burst on its own while I was sleeping and it never came back after, even going off the pill.

Interesting! Mine are in various locations, usually in the T-zone somewhere and impossible to do anything with because they are so deep. I wonder if just going on bc temporarily would help resolve the situation? It does feel like they are just there, lurking in wait all the time.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Interesting! Mine are in various locations, usually in the T-zone somewhere and impossible to do anything with because they are so deep. I wonder if just going on bc temporarily would help resolve the situation? It does feel like they are just there, lurking in wait all the time.
Might as well give it a shot :) I hope it works well for you, I had a couple of cystic pimples when I was a young teen (like 14) and I HAtED that shit

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Ugh, you get me.

I have PCOS and so I've always had acne but as soon as the doctor put me on birth control the acne stopped. It was so nice until I had other complications from the pill and had to stop using it. But I got Mirena (IUD) instead. That's the best birth control I've ever been on but it does cause acne.

I'm new to this thread btw. Hi!

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, you get me.

It didn't affect my weight, but I did get acne. That was part of the reason why I stop taking it.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Birth control made me moody and killed my sex drive which kinda defeated the purpose. I was in it when I was younger and had crazy periods and it helped with that. In more recent years I went on it for its intended purpose and it was an utter fail. I tried nuvaring, ortho tri cycle, and eventually got a copper IUD which I've been on for a couple years.

Copper IUD has been the best most side effect free option but I had scary monster periods for the first 5 months of being on it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, you get me.

College roommate was put on the Pill by her doctor to control her acne as a teen, not for bc (though she was pretty sexually promiscuous so it was a bonus). I don't have much acne problems myself other than small blackheads and one whitehead that won't go away on my forehead.

Only other "bad" side effect that I got was bigger boobs. But because my boobs were small to begin with, it was a bonus for me. :)

Give it a shot!! BC is free in the US with insurance.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
College roommate was put on the Pill by her doctor to control her acne as a teen, not for bc (though she was pretty sexually promiscuous so it was a bonus). I don't have much acne problems myself other than small blackheads and one whitehead that won't go away on my forehead.

Only other "bad" side effect that I got was bigger boobs. But because my boobs were small to begin with, it was a bonus for me. :)

Conversely, even if you don't have insurance you can just walk into Planned Parenthood and get free birth control pills.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Whoa, didn't know that. <3 PP
Yep! A couple years ago I had a UTI while off insurance, went in there and they hooked me up with all that free shit plus free antibiotics.... and I make enough money that I don't even come close to qualifying for any goverment assistance. They'll give you free condoms too. PP is like the fucking fairy godmother of your vagina I love them.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I knew about the free condoms and all the services they provide, didn't know all that shit was free.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy god mother of your vagina, love it, need to use that line from now on! haha I remember back in high school one of my close guy friends would always get a bunch of them from PP but never actually been inside on. Will keep all those services in mind since I only make 4 figures and am waaaaaaaaaaay below the poverty line.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My husband went there when we first started dating. I wanted him to get an STD test just to be safe. That was the only time we've utilized their services.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Fairy god mother of your vagina, love it, need to use that line from now on! haha I remember back in high school one of my close guy friends would always get a bunch of them from PP but never actually been inside on. Will keep all those services in mind since I only make 4 figures and am waaaaaaaaaaay below the poverty line.
Oh yeah i make like way above that and they still gave me free shit. Definitely go there!:)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Will do! Though unfortunately after doing some googling it seems the location in my city is no longer there and the nearest one is quite a bit away. Will keep all that in mind though, shame it shut down.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
Thanks for your input, guys. It's really interesting to see how everyone has their own experience with BC. I'll have to try my luck at some point. *sad shrug* Not really excited about it, lol.
I have PCOS and so I've always had acne but as soon as the doctor put me on birth control the acne stopped. It was so nice until I had other complications from the pill and had to stop using it. But I got Mirena (IUD) instead. That's the best birth control I've ever been on but it does cause acne.

I'm new to this thread btw. Hi!
Hi there! I'm sorry about your PCOS. And the IUD causing acne is a damn shame.
I get so irritated because I'm in my 30s. I'm supposed to be worrying about wrinkles and not this pubescent bullshit lol
I'm so sorry I laughed at that last part. I wish you good luck.
Copper IUD has been the best most side effect free option but I had scary monster periods for the first 5 months of being on it.
Holy shit, that sounds terrifying. That's almost half a year of nightmare periods. I'm glad you found something good for you, though.
This gave me a chuckle. Congrats! :P

I'm both amazed and sad at the same time by what you guys are saying about Planned Parenthood. (I don't live in the US.)

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for your input, guys. It's really interesting to see how everyone has their own experience with BC. I'll have to try my luck at some point. *sad shrug* Not really excited about it, lol.

When I was on it, it never seemed to swing much one way or another for me. The only plus I think I ever really got out of it was being able to time when my period would show up down to the day lmao.

Now it's just like "maybe it'll show up today...maybe not.... oh it's a week early okay...fine."

May as well give it a shot and see if it helps you at all! Never know.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
When I was on it, it never seemed to swing much one way or another for me. The only plus I think I ever really got out of it was being able to time when my period would show up down to the day lmao.

Now it's just like "maybe it'll show up today...maybe not.... oh it's a week early okay...fine."

May as well give it a shot and see if it helps you at all! Never know.
Awww, haha. I'm glad I'm pretty regular. I do hope you get some warning signs before your periods. I know some girls that don't even realize they're bleeding, which is crazy to me because I get horrible cramps on the days leading up to and during my period.

You're right. I'll see what happens when I finally take the leap!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Awww, haha. I'm glad I'm pretty regular. I do hope you get some warning signs before your periods. I know some girls that don't even realize they're bleeding, which is crazy to me because I get horrible cramps on the days leading up to and during my period.

You're right. I'll see what happens when I finally take the leap!

I mean, usually I am! I was just shocked this last month when I got it like, a week early with almost no warning haha. But normally cramps and whatnot leading up to it, yeah.

Good luck when you give it a shot! :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, that really sucks

I'm so sorry I laughed at that last part. I wish you good luck.

It's all good, I actually feel pretty lucky as my period hardships have not been much as an adult, and even less after using a cup. Some people go through some serious shit. I just get a huge pimple. And maybe it will stop if I try bc... if it helps with headache, that would be a serious qol improvement for me. I'll ask for more options on my next doc appointment.

Hope it all works out well for you!

I'm in BC Canada, but similar situation. I am not concerned about the cost, so much as having things be awful for a little while and being slow to correct if I go off it. But the more headaches I get, the more I think it's worth a shot for the migraines alone.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*goes into thread about Mass Effect*
*immediately sees Ashley being labeled a bitch*

Like I can understand not liking a character but just labeling them a bitch just because weren't 'nice' to your character is just so....aggravating.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I got all excited about there being a Mass Effect thread and now I'm like...oh nevermind. Sigh.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
these ArenaNet threads are so bad for my blood pressure. Usually it's just the vocal minority being dickholes but this time it's overwhelming. I need to take a break.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All this time I've been wondering what Regals referred to. It's only just now I realize it said REgals and not Regals. Well played.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
these ArenaNet threads are so bad for my blood pressure. Usually it's just the vocal minority being dickholes but this time it's overwhelming. I need to take a break.
Ugh, I shouldn't have gone into the news threads. I should just stay in my hangout bubble, I guess, because it seems like implied misogyny and willful ignorance is unmoddable.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to mostly avoid the gaming site here like I did the old place. I'm not able to not be greatly affected when seeing that kind of crap so it's just better to not chance it as seeing those types of replies wouldn't be very pleasant. Saw a very few of the replies to one of the first threads on it and that was enough for me to not look again on further threads, disheartening how overwhelming the support over the firing there was that I saw =/

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to mostly avoid the gaming site here like I did the old place. I'm not able to not be greatly affected when seeing that kind of crap so it's just better to not chance it as seeing those types of replies wouldn't be very pleasant. Saw a very few of the replies to one of the first threads on it and that was enough for me to not look again on further threads, disheartening how overwhelming the support over the firing there was that I saw =/
This is where I'm at. There is too many bad things going on when I'm offline that I don't wanna read about people doing shitty things on the internet right now. I just look at my watched threads most days.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Got a blood test and chest x ray in part to check for RA yesterday. Would explain a lot of things if I have it, but it would still suck. Sounds like all the medication options have nasty side effects. If I do have RA, the symptoms are relatively mild, and I'm hoping I won't need those meds for now.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Got a blood test and chest x ray in part to check for RA yesterday. Would explain a lot of things if I have it, but it would still suck. Sounds like all the medication options have nasty side effects. If I do have RA, the symptoms are relatively mild, and I'm hoping I won't need those meds for now.

I have RA, it never showed up on the blood tests but it's showing up in my joints. My insurance gives me a hard time because of this. I don't have enough swelling to qualify and I'm allergic to NSAIDS and my insurance refuses to cover any other medication.

My doctor did ask me if I wanted to have a family because once the swelling damage does start, the medications I'm going to have to take will make that impossible.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi. Question: would you work for Uber (corporate, not driver)? A recruiter for them contacted my wife and wants to talk, and I was like, "Uh... Maybe you should look up their reputation with regard to female employees."

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hi. Question: would you work for Uber (corporate, not driver)? A recruiter for them contacted my wife and wants to talk, and I was like, "Uh... Maybe you should look up their reputation with regard to female employees."
They have a new CEO who is trying to clean up the place. I'm not sure if that extends to their treatment of corporate female employees though. DEFINITELY do some research.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
I have RA, it never showed up on the blood tests but it's showing up in my joints. My insurance gives me a hard time because of this.

I don't know why they continue to rely on blood tests. Apparently it's only detectable 25% of the time or something stupid like that. I'm cynical enough to believe it's used as a convenient excuse to ignore women and their pain.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I only made it about an hour in that thread before I had to give up.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have RA, it never showed up on the blood tests but it's showing up in my joints. My insurance gives me a hard time because of this. I don't have enough swelling to qualify and I'm allergic to NSAIDS and my insurance refuses to cover any other medication.

My doctor did ask me if I wanted to have a family because once the swelling damage does start, the medications I'm going to have to take will make that impossible.

RA ladies, you need to take the meds. There really isn't a "not that bad". It's a progressive, degenerative disease. You may feel fine but the disease is slowly destroying your body without medication. Once you do start to feel bad, it's too late, you will have severe damage at that point, among other issues.

Also you can still have perfectly healthy children on many RA meds, make sure you go over it with your doctor.

To be honest, if your doctor is telling you, a woman of childbearing age, that she has to take a med that makes pregnancies non-viable, find a new fucking doctor a.s.a.p. Those drugs should be last resort drugs for women of childbearing age. This is my doctor's opinion, not my own, btw.

If your doctor is telling you to take leflunomide/methotrexate when they know you may want a family, they are a shit doctor. Unfortunately I've run into a few of those over the years.

My #1 tip is ask your doctor about getting on a biologic ASAP, don't fuck around with taking exclusively DMARDs. The main issue I see is that many doctors want to start you on those meds, some of which are the ones you shouldn't get pregnant taking. But they don't work as well as the biologics, the biologics are literally life changing in a positive way. Doctors hesitate to put people on biologics because they are all injectables and most people are afraid of needles, also they are very expensive and it is a lot more work for the doctor to get insurance to approve them.

Although I'll be real, having RA you will get over any fear of needles real quick, from the frequent bloodwork.

I wish I could go back in time and tell my first doctor to start me on a biologic right away, not fuck around with DMARDs. Which by the way my side effects on those were about 1000x worse than anything I've had with biologics.

I've been diagnosed with RA since I was 20 and I'm a lot older than that now, if anybody has any questions/fears feel free to PM me.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
RA ladies, you need to take the meds. There really isn't a "not that bad". It's a progressive, degenerative disease. You may feel fine but the disease is slowly destroying your body without medication. Once you do start to feel bad, it's too late, you will have severe damage at that point, among other issues.

Also you can still have perfectly healthy children on many RA meds, make sure you go over it with your doctor.

To be honest, if your doctor is telling you, a woman of childbearing age, that she has to take a med that makes pregnancies non-viable, find a new fucking doctor a.s.a.p. Those drugs should be last resort drugs for women of childbearing age. This is my doctor's opinion, not my own, btw.

If your doctor is telling you to take leflunomide/methotrexate when they know you may want a family, they are a shit doctor. Unfortunately I've run into a few of those over the years.

My #1 tip is ask your doctor about getting on a biologic ASAP, don't fuck around with taking exclusively DMARDs. The main issue I see is that many doctors want to start you on those meds, some of which are the ones you shouldn't get pregnant taking. But they don't work as well as the biologics, the biologics are literally life changing in a positive way. Doctors hesitate to put people on biologics because they are all injectables and most people are afraid of needles, also they are very expensive and it is a lot more work for the doctor to get insurance to approve them.

Although I'll be real, having RA you will get over any fear of needles real quick, from the frequent bloodwork.

I wish I could go back in time and tell my first doctor to start me on a biologic right away, not fuck around with DMARDs. Which by the way my side effects on those were about 1000x worse than anything I've had with biologics.

I've been diagnosed with RA since I was 20 and I'm a lot older than that now, if anybody has any questions/fears feel free to PM me.
Thank you so much for this extremely informative post. <3 I still haven't gotten my full bloodwork results yet. One thing came back and it was negative. Fingers crossed everything else is too. If I do have RA, this post is going to be sooooo helpful. Thank you again.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA

Thanks for this post! I thought that question about having children was suspect too. I'd really like to see another doctor, but there aren't many near me and the selection that is is not that great. Also, my insurance will deny any medication unless there is a positive blood test or x-ray. I'm afraid that won't happen until I am feeling bad and have significant damage.