• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Interested?

• Yes!

Votes: 96 28.6%
  • No, I already have A-List or one of the other services

Votes: 111 33.0%
  • No, I don't go to the movies that much

Votes: 69 20.5%
  • No, no regal theaters near me.

Votes: 60 17.9%

• Total voters

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since AMC has both IMAX and Dolby I see no reason to get this but I won't rule it out all together. This is beneficial for everyone. People who have local AMCs can get A-List and people who don't have local AMCs but have Regal can get this.

The unlimited movies a day/month I guess is the trade off for having to pay a surcharge for premium formats.

This makes things interesting that's for sure.

Hopefully this makes Cinemark jump on a subscription service as well because that current sub they have is a joke.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty damn fantastic and bests A-List in terms of price (especially if in AMC's more expensive markets) and frequency, minus the premium surcharge. But if you don't care about this, this might be the way to go.

#ThanksMoviePass
I don't think it bests A-List. This is already more expensive than A-List if you see x amount of movies in premium formats due to the surcharge. A-List doesn't have a surcharge for premium formats. I pay $23.49 each month on A-List. This can definitely go above that and well into the $30's with the surcharge.

It's still a great deal regardless and this is definitely the alternative to A-List if there isn't an AMC in your area but there's a Regal.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I could pay the 12 month minimum and end up with a movie year like this one. Too risky.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Glad you'll be able to take advantage of this and see more movies more often with us nerds!
I had MoviePass until last summer and dropped it, then went to Sinemia. Then that went tits up and have been impatiently waiting for Regal to step up.
My theaters here are okay but overpriced. Around $10 for a matinee is bullshit and no premium screens.
This is welcome news.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
There is a shitty Regal 10 minutes away from my house but I really have no other options. The theater is general admission and hasn't been fixed up since it opened in the '80s.

I'll probably get this.

All of the Regal cinemas in my area are extremely shitty. It seems that none have been updated in like 15+ years. They're terrible.

Meanwhile the AMC's near me are all modern and have Dolby Cinemas. Based on my experience, Regal has some serious catching up to do in terms of the quality of the experience.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I had MoviePass until last summer and dropped it, then went to Sinemia. Then that went tits up and have been impatiently waiting for Regal to step up.
My theaters here are okay but overpriced. Around $10 for a matinee is bullshit and no premium screens.
This is welcome news.

I wanted to pull the trigger on MoviePass for a while, but then all the bad news came tumbling down just as I was going to do so. This is very welcoming news for me, as a lover of film.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I could pay the 12 month minimum and end up with a movie year like this one. Too risky.

There's still a lot of stuff coming out this year that will certainly be good.
This is welcome news.

Same but dropped it after the very same day A-List came into existence and haven't looked back since. $10 for a matinee is pricey. I've seen matinee's here for $5 at my local AMCs.

Do your local Regals have premium formats?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Glad the U.S. cinema chains are getting more competitive about this. I've had an unlimited card in the UK for about a decade now, baffling to me it's taken the states so long to get around to this. I watch 8-12 movies a month so a film never costs me more than like £2 (Odeon Limitless is £17.99 a month).

May 10, 2018
Sticking with A-List. Regal in my town doesn't have any premium format, no recliners and last I went no reserved seating, although that was two years ago so maybe that's changed.

And fuck that surcharge shit.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
There's still a lot of stuff coming out this year that will certainly be good.

Same but dropped it after the very same day A-List came into existence and haven't looked back since. $10 for a matinee is pricey. I've seen matinee's here for $5 at my local AMCs.

Do your local Regals have premium formats?
I said no premium screens, lol
But really closest premium screen is Nashville an hour away. That has an RPX and a real IMAX. Made the drive there to see Close Encounters in RPX, but missed 2001 in imax.
But rarely go there because it becomes a full day trip I gotta plan.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But really closest premium screen is Nashville an hour away. That has an RPX and a real IMAX. Made the drive there to see Close Encounters in RPX, but missed 2001 in imax.
Whoops lol

And damn. Move into the city Phon! Lol

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This is amazing to people living in a large city.

Back when I was in Honolulu $15 was like the average ticket price, I would've loved being able to see 2 movies for the price of 1.5.
Or 4 movies

Or 10!

Definitely gonna think of subbing

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they don't want be people subbing during summer blockbuster/awards season only. Moviepass and sinema had similar practices not sure about A List.

You and I have very different memories of MoviePass initial commitments... It certainly wasn't $200 dollars, and it wasn't a full year requirement.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Every theater near me is a Regal and I gave up Moviepass when it became completely unusable, so I'm in for this.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Full year commitment is the biggest drawback, but other than that, it looks like a good deal like A-List. The surcharge seems close to being negligible, though that's still annoying.

Of course, I have a good AMC close to me, and a Regal far from me, so I'm sticking with AMC.

OP
OP
VHS

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
You and I have very different memories of MoviePass initial commitments... It certainly wasn't $200 dollars, and it wasn't a full year requirement.
You don't have to pay for a full year of regal at once. Moviepass said you had a monthly plan, but if you canceled your account you couldn't reenable it for 8 months and they warned you of such.

Moviepass initial plans were also $50 a month unless you are referring to the $10 plan they launched years later?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
all the movies i want to see for 18$ a month?

thats an insane steal, i think i only goto the theater like 10 times a year though

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Yep. I live like 2 exits away from Opry, which makes this deal amazing.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
No shit. North or south? I'm in southern KY. About an hour from Opry

I'm around Donelson, and it's going north bound for me. Two exits down is the Opry Mills exit. I just wanted this subscription since the nearest AMC is 20-25 minutes away in Antioch and only has 8 theaters. Plus, the real IMAX at Opry is incredible.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Has anyone with an unlimited pass ever spent a whole day watching movies? I think I'd do that on a lazy saturday

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Wish my preferred theater was a Regal as I would be all over this. I have already been to the movies 3 times just this month, and I am going tomorrow for Toy Story 4, so this would save me some money for sure even considering I almost only do matinees.

Just really do not like the two Regal theaters by me. I am in New Jersey and both of them are in over populated areas with shitty traffic to boot. Because of said overpopulation they are always crowded so the lines are always bonkers. Plus being honest, I am not a fan of crowds anywhere. They both just unfortunately kind of suck. Plus my preferred theater is only 10 minutes away where the two Regals are about 30 minutes away thanks to the aforementioned traffic.

Even with all of the negative aspects above, I still may have to consider this. I spend a decent amount on the movies.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think it bests A-List. This is already more expensive than A-List if you see x amount of movies in premium formats due to the surcharge. A-List doesn't have a surcharge for premium formats. I pay $23.49 each month on A-List. This can definitely go above that and well into the $30's with the surcharge.

It's still a great deal regardless and this is definitely the alternative to A-List if there isn't an AMC in your area but there's a Regal.

I mean, I addressed that. If one doesn't care about Premium, it's a potentially substanially better

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My local Regal is great and my default theater. I'd be happy to pay for this...but I'm kind of between moving places at the moment so I don't know how useful this will be to me in a few months.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
What's available to me and is my theater of choice is Regal. Plus, it's only a mile away from me. So whatever tier that location is available in, that's the one I'm going with. I can easily watch a few movies a month to justify the cost.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in Canada Cineplex reduced the earning power of scene points on food and limits how many points you can earn in a day, and limits how many points you can redeem in a day and their pilot project merely involves paying monthly to earn more points

Godbless Canada's basically movie theatre monopoly

We'll never see an unlimited subscription service here

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What's the difference between tiers? Does one remove the surcharge? Love my AMC but might consider switching

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great, but I still can't give up my MoviePass. Being able to go to any cinema I want is too good of a deal to pass up.

What's the difference between tiers? Does one remove the surcharge? Love my AMC but might consider switching
Seems like the tiers all offer the same service, but the higher you go, the more theaters around the country you have access to. So if you're traveling out of your usual area with the lower tier, you might run into a theatre that doesn't support your subscription.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is tough. My area has both AMC and Regal. AMCs have Dolby without the surcharge, which is great. Regal has the one real IMAX screen though. Also two if our regals play a lot of indies. AMC is definitely behind in that regard. I think Regal probably took too long. Everyone in my social circle already has AMC A-List. I don't expect many to change. It's kinda like consoles where you kinda want to have what all your friends have, so you can play with them.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So is there a family deal for people like me with kids? Or is it just a flat $18+ per person? It sounds good but whenever I go to the movies its with family.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Glad the U.S. cinema chains are getting more competitive about this. I've had an unlimited card in the UK for about a decade now, baffling to me it's taken the states so long to get around to this. I watch 8-12 movies a month so a film never costs me more than like £2 (Odeon Limitless is £17.99 a month).
I've got a cineworld unlimited card which is about the same price as the odeon one and if I see at least 2 movies a month it's already paid for itself but I usually go every Saturday.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close to as good as AMC

Damn, the regal was closer was hoping for it to be at least matching.

OP
OP
VHS

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
So is there a family deal for people like me with kids? Or is it just a flat $18+ per person? It sounds good but whenever I go to the movies its with family.
Moviepass was working on a plan for families and couples but don't think that will happen anytime soon. Would be useful to just have 5 tickets on one account at least.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Might get in on this, but gotta see the list of theaters at the low tier first. There's a lot of regals here and AMC unfortunately doesn't get any indie films.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Not even close to as good as AMC

Damn, the regal was closer was hoping for it to be at least matching.
Really depends on your usage. If all you see are 3D or IMAX movies once in a while or something, sure, but this removes basically all non-premium movie limits. I personally watch more standard 2D movies than any premium ones, so this is far better.

MoviePass' initial pricing was $30-$50/month, depending on where you lived, and had a 12 month minimum commitment. I was on that plan, and even at the $35 I paid it was well worth it, because I lived a 5 minute walk from a theater; I used MoviePass instead of subscribing to cable TV, saw almost every movie that came out.

Last edited:

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
When it says "12 month initial commitment", does that mean I'd have to pay for the year upfront? Or just be locked into a sort of 1 year "contract" of sorts while paying monthly?