• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
https://comicbook.com/irl/news/regal-cinemas-closing-united-states-until-2021/

Hours after news surfaced Cineworld was shuttering all locations in the United Kingdom until 2021, the company has announced a similar decision for all Regal Cinemas in the United States. The latest round of closings is the company's direct response to MGM delaying No Time to Die, a movie that was bumped from November to next April. With No Time to Die off the 2020 release slate for exhibitors, that leaves just Warner Brothers' Dune and Wonder Woman 1984, two movies all but guaranteed to be pushed back even further should more chains choose to follow suit.

Insane news, but also expected I think. I'm curious if AMC will follow next.

edit: Going to ask a Mod to update the thread title to say temporarily

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're still closed here anyway but oof

pls stream stuff

no reason david copperfield needs to be in theaters

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... Regal was my backup plan if AMC went under.

If AMC (A-List) goes under, then I'll go from watching a movie a week in theaters to only seeing the latest DCEU/MCU movie and horror movie in theaters, as I did pre MoviePass.

Cinema is hanging by a thread for me ;;

EDIT: Completely misread the article. It is for the best that they're closed for the time being.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Netflix might buy up some theaters or at least partner with one of them post Covid.

OP
OP
Somnia

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I know AMC Theaters is doing way worse money wise than Regal so I'm curious if they'll just tough it out to lose less money?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
dune and ww84 delay on monday ill bet. its for the best, though i wonder how many theatres will actually survive that long

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The theater chains have to be hanging on by a thread at this point.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I love going to the movies. I hate that covid has affected the business like this. 😭

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I don't see the situation improving dramatically in 6 months.

I really don't think these theater chains are going to make it.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I know AMC Theaters is doing way worse money wise than Regal so I'm curious if they'll just tough it out to lose less money?
They're losing more money staying open than they would shutting down. Theaters are currently big empty stores. They literally have nothing to sell until Christmas, if not beyond.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Already lost both the AMC's near me for good. Doubt anything ever comes back either.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Like I alluded to in the box office thread like a week or two ago, I recently attended an orientation for a return to work run down at the LA county theater I worked at prior to quarantine.

After reviewing new business protocols and best COVID practices, we were asking questions about scheduled hours and operating hours. We were told that business was fully expected to be slow/bleak based on other locations out of state but they were banking on Bond in November to hopefully get butts in seats.

I don't think I'm going back to work again even if LA county allows theatres to open. The math doesn't add up.

I need Congress to pass a new package for UI benefits. My UI got cleaned out this past Sunday :(

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt they're making any money operating things right now, so this makes sense on multiple levels. Many theaters won't be coming back from this, though.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I work for Regal and they still haven't notified us that we a closed. What are the odds that Congress will pass another stimulus bill because I used up all of my unemployment from the last time we shut down.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I alluded to in the box office thread like a week or two ago, I recently attended an orientation for a return to work run down at the LA county theater I worked at prior to quarantine.

After reviewing new business protocols and best COVID practices, we were asking questions about scheduled hours and operating hours. We were told that business was fully expected to be slow/bleak based on other locations out of state but they were banking on Bond in November to hopefully get butts in seats.

I don't think I'm going back to work again even if LA county allows theatres to open. The math doesn't add up.

I need Congress to pass a new package for UI benefits. My UI got cleaned out this past Sunday :(
Isn't UI extended until the end of the year?
You should automatically get 13 more weeks under CARES.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Like I've said before: Avatar 2 is the theatre's last hope.

Nah. Theater's last hope is the world being in a place where we can go to theaters again. No one movie is going to "save" a damn thing until that happens.

And if we're in a place where the virus is under control enough to do so by next summer, movies like Black Widow and F9 can still do very well.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
As a Regal Unlimited member I havent been to the movies since... March. They just billed me for this month which I don't mind at all, happy to give them a small bit of money, not planning on going to theaters any time soon. Have pondered it a bit but still determined its not worth the risk and wouldn't have any peace of mind during the movie.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't UI extended until the end of the year?
You should automatically get 13 more weeks under CARES.

Yes, and I've been good about cutting down on frivolous spending to help spread the money out. However, the amount on money I get from UI in CA without the extra UI stipend from a Congress passed bill is not sustainable. Things are gonna get hard.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Lmao.

Had to get into an argument with Regal support because my local theater opened back up and they re-enabled my Regal Unlimited subscription and denied my cancelation request saying I needed a doctors note.

I ended up getting it canceled, but it was a nightmare.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Alamo Drafthouse closed as well. Only thing opened is Cinemark, and no one's going.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Netflix might buy up some theaters or at least partner with one of them post Covid.
Makes sense to have one in LA for Oscar eligibility, but I don't think they are profitable at all.

Amazon kind of makes sense to take advantage of big screening Twitch events or using Amazon as advertising.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I work for Regal and they still haven't notified us that we a closed. What are the odds that Congress will pass another stimulus bill because I used up all of my unemployment from the last time we shut down.
No chance until at least after the election, but frankly probably not until January really.

Makes sense to have one in LA for Oscar eligibility, but I don't think they are profitable at all.

Amazon kind of makes sense to take advantage of big screening Twitch events or using Amazon as advertising.
IIRC, Netflix did buy the Egyptian in Hollywood and is using it to screen their movies.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've been waiting patiently for 11 years for Avatar 2. If I'm unable to see it in a theater, I will be deeply disappointed.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, wow. Theaters are getting hit HARD by this thing.

Glad I canceled my Unlimited subscription in time to avoid the next charge. This will affect me for sure because some of the best theaters in my area are Regals. Then again, it seems like a dumb idea to resume regular theater visits until the pandemic is under control, so... 🤷‍♂️

I just want to see Dune in the format it deserves, bruh.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This is the closest theater to my home.

Went there with my wife to watch Captain Marvel when it first came out.

Also bought tickets for my wife and my mother to watch a Indian movie there - I was gonna watch Sonic but decided not to.

Apparently there's another theater being built near my home but I dont see how any of these groups can manage to continue with all the risks (with the pandemic and the fact that people will likely not go...)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true.

There has been real movement on a new stimulus package this past week.
Senate is closed until the 19th and the Barrett confirmation will take up floor time after that. Plus you've got senators and House reps who need/want to spend as much time as possible campaigning in the run up to the election. And also Senate Republicans don't actually care about passing new covid relief bills, and will really not care if they lose the Senate in November.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Senate is closed until the 19th and the Barrett confirmation will take up floor time after that. Plus you've got senators and House reps who need/want to spend as much time as possible campaigning in the run up to the election. And also Senate Republicans don't actually care about passing new covid relief bills, and will really not care if they lose the Senate in November.

I know Senate has cancelled legislation until the 19th. However, it looks like a deal will be made next week.

I believe there will be a new stimulus bill before the election, especially now that Trump himself is pushing for it.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want theaters to die. The movie-watching experience (for me) is (generally) much better in a theater than at home.

Spending $30 on Mulan (which was shit) soured me quite a bit on the VOD/streaming future.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They just started trying to charge me the other day for my monthly pass but I didn't pay because of COVID I'll grab it again in the future.