• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up - your ads are displayed before the starting time listed?

Why would anyone show up for the ads / trailer then??

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
It's already completely out of hand but go ahead and continue to push people away. There are choices now, how do they not understand that? This is almost Blockbuster level of stupidity.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I already forget what movie I'm seeing by time the ads are over and they're adding more? I want free refills on popcorn and drink if they're adding more time.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up - your ads are displayed before the starting time listed?

Why would anyone show up for the ads / trailer then??

Within this context an ad and a trailer are two different things.

Ads - air during the pre-show for 10-20 minutes before showtime while people are filtering in and taking their seats
Trailers - contractually required to be attached to specific screenings, air after the showtime begins and before the film starts

This new change will feature ads (i.e. Dave's Auto Shop or whatever) mixed in with traditional trailers after the showtime starts.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Gonna be hard to hire more pimply faced kids to be ushers when Disney keeps turning the screws on distribution rights

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Arclight - please add a subscription service soon. Hopefully that doesn't count as platform begging.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's actually not a bad idea. To anyone complaining, what are you doing going early? Most theaters have reserved seating now. If you don't go in 10-15 minutes after the start time, you're doing it wrong.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Within this context an ad and a trailer are two different things.

Ads - air during the pre-show for 10-20 minutes before showtime while people are filtering in and taking their seats
Trailers - contractually required to be attached to specific screenings, air after the showtime begins and before the film starts

This new change will feature ads (i.e. Dave's Auto Shop or whatever) mixed in with traditional trailers after the showtime starts.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification.

Here in the UK, at least at the cinemas I go, you have your start time of say 6pm; any time before that there's just a blank screen and music playing. Then around 6 they'll start adverts for about 15 minutes, followed by trailers for about 10-15 minutes.

It's a given that you add at least 15 minutes to your time of arrival on top of any cinema time here. Odd that their main revenue generator is willingly shown before people would realistically turn up.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shit is already 20 minutes long. Well sounds like I need to come in at the 25 minute mark.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's chronically late I welcome the extra buffer to get to my seat in time before the movie starts.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the more reason to never see a movie in theatres. I see maybe 2 a year and it still annoys me

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
dg47ya9m7a401.jpg

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
There's already 15-20 mins of ads after the scheduled time. It's kinda nuts, but it does let me get in later I guess

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hi I'm Olivia Wilde, director of Booksmart, and Regal has joined with Coca-Cola to give a voice to young filmmakers...

Seriously though, I only have Regal in my city, and the unlimited pass is awesome. But trailers already run for 20 minutes. Adding another 6 is fucking stupid.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The problem with saying "just show up 20 minutes in" is that my cinema has variable start times. Usually it's 20-25 mins, sometimes it's 15, and maybe 1/10 times it's 5-10 minutes.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
In the UK, we get a combined 20 minutes of adverts and trailers, but the start time publicised for the film is for when the trailers and adverts start. If a film is advertised as a 8pm start, you know the film is going to start around 8:20pm.

Usually around 25 minutes for me in the UK. We try to arrive around 15 minutes after scheduled start time so just have the film trailers but more often seeing a couple of adverts after those now.

Lucked out on Wednesday watching Ad Astra as there were no film trailers so film started as we sat down.

Jul 18, 2018
This is what happens when corporations take control of the movie theater industry and now the big ones once again have to rely on them for revenue. Disney stans for example don't care, they probably ones to purchase Disney+ than go to the theaters anyway.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
As if people didn't already have enough reasons to skip out on movie theaters. Regal charges $15+ for a ticket nowadays, on top of their ridiculous concession prices. This shit isn't sustainable.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
AMC is right, 6 more minutes of filler before your showtime is garbage and will just result in less people going out and those who do just showing up closer to the actual showtime. I know theaters are feeling the squeeze with the rise of streaming and people just staying at home, but that many more ads is probably not the best solution to bolster their revenue.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Thank god for my local neighborhood theater. They always have whatever the newest big movie is, 5 bucks a ticket, and they serve beer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's the end of me going to Regals then. The number of trailers running in front of movies is absolutely out of control; the movie doesn't start until a good 25 minutes after start time now!

I could've sworn I read something a few years ago about how theaters were going to begin reducing the length of trailer time, but it seems like it's gone in the absolute opposite direction.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I hate when I go to the theater, they play the "please put your phones away" video, and then follow it up with a bunch of commercials. I'll put my phone away when the trailers start, thank you very much.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Good guy AMC. I sure am glad that I only ever go to one of their theaters anyway.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, as soon as I can get Alamo season pass going to cancel my Regal subscription. Kinda sad as they do show some good indie films.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I get blasted before going to the movie theaters and nothing flares up my second hand embarrassment as much as shitty movie trailers do. I will walk in a minute late to a movie in order to dodge that feeling.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is LITERALLY the job of the usher.

At multiplexes the only way to get an usher is to get up and go look - potentially across multiple escalator floors for someone who isn't scared to tell the drunk redneck or surly teens to stfu which is more movie ruining than the loud idiots.

So I often end up saying something directly to the asshole(s) which leads to:

1. Me looking like an aggressive asshole - sometimes to their kids or other kids at the show.
2. A loud aggressive showdown of me and some fucking idiot barking furiously at each other and ruining the movie for everyone.
3. Me seething and plotting various outlandish and biologically unfeasible harms upon the miscreants.
4. A gang of potentially dangerous teenagers plotting how they're going to bumrush that angry old skinhead who threatened them -- or more accurately dared suggest they stfu
5. The hopefully remote but real possibility that Sir tanktop talksalot has a gun and is actually high on meth.

I usually think sensibly before saying anything and admit I sometimes just grit my teeth when it's ( for example a crowd of hillbillies or an actual gang) more than I'm prepared to bite off and chew and I NEVER say a peep when I'm with my family but all of these "fixes" actually ruin the movie for me and everyone else. My blood pressure is probably ten million. I could get killed or stomped at any time and I also show my ass because I'm an adult who can't control their own temper.

The "takes no shit usher? " A purely mythical creature in my experience. And I don't blame them.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I already go to the movies 10-15 minutes after the posted showtime. Now I'll just go 15-20 minutes if it's Regal or Cinemark.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hi we're Brett and Chet and this is our Coca Cola student film we got paid for in exposure," now 6 minutes longer

Whoa your movie told me that coke is extremely refreshing and that there's more condensation on the cup than looks comfortable. And that your best friends in life? Are your best friends! What a message!