• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Eulalia!!

This is wonderful news. I devoured Redwall books as a kid.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This & Chronicles of Prydain were my formative early reading darlings. I actually looked last year to see if there was a digital omnibus of the series to re-experience it. Frankly for such a well loved property you'd think we'd have like 10 animated adaptations of this series film & show alike by this point.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic news. Redwall fans should be able to easily guess the inspiration for my online handle.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
All these posts expecting them to tone down violence like Netflix execs aren't cumming at the idea of yet another edgy animated show. It even stars talking animals! Wow, this isn't a kids' show! Amazing!

To be clear I'm criticizing the way US studios treat animation, not this series in particular.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But yeah the weird...specieism?...bothered me as a kid, lol. Also the fact the animals were anthropomorphic I guess except when they weren't?

Also god everytime the moles talked I skipped pages haha.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yes! Love this series. I've spent a long time scouring second hand book shops and cheapo shops trying to find as early as possible prints of the books. I really should find the time to read the last book because i bought it on release and it's just been sitting with the rest.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
...it's weird too, because if I remember the very first book right, there were a couple of rats (comic relief ones, but still) who turned good and stayed that way. Not sure what changed between that and like, every other book.
That's right. (It's funny to me that I remembered the character's name was Blaggut, but not which book he was from!)
There was also a unaligned/good cat in Mossflower. But yes, since most people bring up their issues with the books' (Outcast in particular) essentialist animal/vermin morality, I think it's safe to say that any modern adaptation will either downplay it or go against it entirely with added characters.

The Nelvana series was good shit. Lets hope this one is even better.
When I rewatched a few episodes on Netflix some years ago, I thought it went over the plot well enough, but budget constraints held it a bit back. (A lot like their Tintin adaptation.) Still, a good watch as a kid. However, it seems like Jacques' live-action intros are listed as lost media, which is weird since somebody must have recorded episodes on VHS.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the couple series I'd alternate alongside Harry Potter, as a kid. I'm in.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
There was also a unaligned/good cat in Mossflower. But yes, since most people bring up their issues with the books' (Outcast in particular) essentialist animal/vermin morality, I think it's safe to say that any modern adaptation will either downplay it or go against it entirely with added characters.
Also true. I loved that cat character. I think that always made me view cats in the series as being more neutral so I just never counted them as being on the "bad" side. Haha.

And yeah, I expect that rigid good/evil divide of the original books to be blurred a bit when made today. I feel like Pat McHale writing is a good choice to make that happen. It was just such a shame in the original books, because I genuinely loved them except for that one aspect. There were so many details about so many things and it generally did a good job of actions having consequences, but "good" and "evil" were never questioned - not even when Redwallers did some decidedly bad things. This news excites me precisely because I expect it to be an opportunity to smooth some of those rough edges.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also true. I loved that cat character. I think that always made me view cats in the series as being more neutral so I just never counted them as being on the "bad" side. Haha.

And yeah, I expect that rigid good/evil divide of the original books to be blurred a bit when made today. I feel like Pat McHale writing is a good choice to make that happen. It was just such a shame in the original books, because I genuinely loved them except for that one aspect. There were so many details about so many things and it generally did a good job of actions having consequences, but "good" and "evil" were never questioned - not even when Redwallers did some decidedly bad things. This news excites me precisely because I expect it to be an opportunity to smooth some of those rough edges.

I'm not expecting snakes to be given this treatment given they're like dragons in the world with how dangerous they are to everyone and seemingly being above a lot of the creatures politics and the like.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, can't wait for this. I loved Redwall as a kid and had pretty much every book. Great to hear they're doing a series revolving around Martin The Warrior too because that was without a doubt my favorite of all the books. Hopefully it does well enough to continue adapting the other books. Long Patrol when???

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should ditch that Harry Potter game Warner Bros is making and give us a Redwall RPG.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a damn good recipe for success, you don't even need to make it a complicated 10-point step-by-step plan

1) adapt Mossflower

That's it, you do that right you're done, any other extra seasons are complimentary

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i met brian jacques when someone in the school won a competition i think and he came and talked to the school. he only had the 3 books out then - just looked yeah mattimeo was the last one he'd released.
he really made me want to read them but we were poor as shit so had to rely on the school library and the books were always out and to this day ive still never read any of the books.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
This is one of the best things I have read this week.

They should ditch that Harry Potter game Warner Bros is making and give us a Redwall RPG.

And this is one of the best ideas I have read this week. Both parts of that sentence.

EDIT: I forgot 2 critival things

1) Fuck J.K. Rowling
2) Please don't let it be some badly 3D animated trash

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain

Made by the creator of Ghost of a Tale, please (with a lot of help, of course):

Switch-GhostOfATale-hero.jpg

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I absolutely loved these books as a kid. I even made a Redwall-themed pinewood derby car when I was in Boy Scouts. I...I wasn't very popular with the other kids in the troop, haha.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
There's going to be so much feasting in this show. I think I read them all up to like Triss when I was growing up.