• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017

This version includes all DLC to date.

PR release

Physical release is listed in nintendo.com no date yet

cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
They really had to do a number on the visuals to get it running acceptably on the Switch.

NSwitchDS_Redout_02.jpg

NSwitchDS_Redout_06.jpg

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Dark1x will you guys be analyzing this or do you prefer to stay away after the last Redout analysis? This is a 2 year late port

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While still pictures aren't too flattering, it seems decent in motion.

I may get it to cover for the physical FAST Racing NEO for Switch that we never got. :(

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If you want your F-Zero fix, buy this. It has some Wipeout elements but it's much closer to F-Zero.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x will you guys be analyzing this or do you prefer to stay away after the last Redout analysis? This is a 2 year late port
No way in hell are we touching this one. This developer may as well not exist.

I can't imagine the Switch port running well either so it wouldn't be a positive video...thus they'd probably go on a rampage again. So I'm not touching it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I was excited about this as a launch title, but it's definitely a pickup-on-sale game for me now. I've played this a bit on PC, I copped the PS4 version for literally 5 dollars, and I don't feel like running out to get this for $40 at this juncture.

It's a fun game though if you're looking for something in the genre and haven't tried it yet; I'm pretty sure it includes all the DLC on the Switch in the asking price, so it's not the worst deal in the world if that's the case. Just not a great deal for myself personally.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
We're never getting a futuristic racer that's more F-Zero than Wipeout, are we? I need wacky racers too, not just sleek ships.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
All these racers go for the floatiness of Wipeout rather than the weight of F-Zero, and this looks to be the same. Floatier than any F-Zero would be.
That's one of the Wipeout elements I'm talking about, but the level design and speed and control scheme is much closer to F-Zero.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

I can't imagine the Switch port running well either so it wouldn't be a positive video...thus they'd probably go on a rampage again. So I'm not touching it.
Yeah the last thing you guys need to deal with is the developer throwing a tantrum AGAIN just because of your analysis. To me it was so unprofessional of them.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the other versions 60fps?, I would think at 30fps this version would look better, meh.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the last thing you guys need to deal with is the developer throwing a tantrum AGAIN just because of your analysis. It was so unprofessional of them to me.
Yeah, it sucks. Especially when most of us were on holiday so it was tough to intercept.

It's a shame as I was very interested in the game but I've had to simply ignore it. Switch already has Fast RMX anyways which is 60fps.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
So, half the framerate and double the price of the PS4/Xbox versions? I may grab it on sell down the line on Xbox One X, but the DF drama from the analysis video really rubbed me the wrong and I've been avoiding buying this even though I buy even remotely anything that plays like F-Zero.

But I'd hate to cave and buy this for it to not scratch that F-Zero itch. Why can't a indie dev just basically rip all of F-Zero GX's gameplay mechanics and controls, don't add any Wipeout influences, and call it a day? I'm pretty sure that's what fans of the futuristic racing genre really want that this point barring a new entry into the F-Zero franchise or a HD port of F-Zero GX.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now, looks pretty good and runs well. If you're tired of Fast RMX and want another F-Zero/Wipeout-y kinda game this definitely seems like one to get.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...will this release physical?

I remember seeing it on Amazon a year ago, until it disappeared. But now it's releasing today and no physical? :(

OP
OP
cucholix

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Wait...will this release physical?

I remember seeing it on Amazon a year ago, until it disappeared. But now it's releasing today and no physical? :(
Maybe they will relase retail version, digital for now, Dragon Marked for Death got the physical version like 1 month later.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017

Might as well milk the drama for views :P

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Did 34 ever apologize to you guys after everyone realized they were full of shit?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it sucks. Especially when most of us were on holiday so it was tough to intercept.

It's a shame as I was very interested in the game but I've had to simply ignore it. Switch already has Fast RMX anyways which is 60fps.
I'm unfamiliar with what happened. Could someone clarify? :P

Is Fast RMX good anyway? I'm in need of a good racer on Switch.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think it handles anything like WipEout either, not precise enough.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017

They lied about the resolution of the game in their marketing, DF demonstrated this in their analysis. They threatened to sue DF and smeared them all over the place.

I will never buy this game.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
After how they dealt with DF and their analysis ... Nah, hard pass. Looks rather unappealing and 30fps for racers is a no-no.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

DF published one of their technical analysis of the game, finding out the game never ran at 4k (I think they found out it rendered at 1080p?). The developers said that it was fake news, that Digital Foundry was just clickbaiting people, and threatened to sue if they didn't take what they said back.

DF later did a re-analysis and found out that, in fact, the game ran at 4k for literally a few seconds when the race is starring and then dropped for the rest of the race. Afaik the developers never backed down and just ended up looking like a bunch of liar clowns.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DF published one of their technical analysis of the game, finding out the game never ran at 4k (I think they found out it rendered at 1080p?). The developers said that it was fake news, that Digital Foundry was just clickbaiting people, and threatened to sue if they didn't take what they said back.

DF later did a re-analysis and found out that, in fact, the game ran at 4k for literally a few seconds when the race is starring and then dropped for the rest of the race. Afaik the developers never backed down and just ended up looking like a bunch of liar clowns.
Well, they used a very VERY clever method - rather than using dynamic resolution based on load, they would change resolution on a per-section basis. So each small chunk of track could have a different resolution. Most of the time it's way below 4K.

Dave used a common method of moving the camera around from the starting point looking for edges - when even looking at nothing didn't increase the res (suggesting a low load) it made sense. It was a simple mistake and the developers were absolutely awful about it. Rich and I were even on holiday during all this so it was kind of a WTF moment.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017

To offer a dissenting opinion, Fast RMX is not good. It runs great, looks nice and controls well, but unfortunately it's utterly ruined by AI that just cheats blatantly.

There's one track where I raced 3 perfect laps on collecting/hitting every boost, doing as many full boosts as possible in the fastest ship, never hitting the sides or obstacles and still lost by a mile, then the next time fucked it completely and won by like 5 seconds. The AI just doesn't have the same rules as you - they can hit obstacles and while they'll play the "crash" animation, they won't actually slow down at all. They'll fly right into an asteroid and not give a shit. On a few occasions I've been going down a straight and suddenly gone from 1st to 2nd on a non branching section without anything overtaking me. Other times I've watched an AI get destroyed because it missed a jump further down the track and just respawn about 100 meters ahead already going full speed. Sometimes I've been overtaken by a non boosting AI while I'm boosting at max speed.

The times reported by the AI can also be like 10 seconds faster than the developers' own Time Attack times, which are already Really Damn Fast.

So basically would be great but sadly the AI can teleport ahead of you, isn't affected by crashing into shit as much as you are and can go faster than is actually possible for you to go faster.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
seems to look good in motion and no so great in screens. I'm okay with that.

Price is a little crazy, though...so I'm not biting yet.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

....Completely forgot about this. They couldn't hold the L and tried the DF crew when they found out about the resolution. That's lame as hell.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They really had to do a number on the visuals to get it running acceptably on the Switch.

NSwitchDS_Redout_02.jpg

NSwitchDS_Redout_06.jpg
Good thing pausing the game to check out individual frames isn't a good way to play the game :-p

Yeah, its def the type of game thats just not gonna look good not in motion, as long as it's fluid should be good.

Other than that to speak to some other things people are saying in this thread, redout is def a 40 dollar game (tho you can also wait a few months and Im sure itll be on sale).