• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
you never know. when they run out of content to throw on their service, my head canon is they will go back to the vaults and release unreleased movies, pilots for shows that didn't get picked up, and alternate cuts/versions of movies that are streaming.

The Synder Cut got produced for streaming. So that's certainly true.

Maybe I'm too young but that movie looks awful
I can understand that. A movie born from sketch comedy is probably as hit or miss as it comes to personal taste.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you like modern absurdist/odd comedy(Tim/Eric, Eric Andre, nathan fielder, etc.) I think you would like Brain Candy and the Kids. I actually saw the movie first and discovered my enjoyment of that type of comedy. Got me into the Kids and others.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, while I've generally enjoyed what I've seen of the Kids, I've never actually seen Brain Candy, and I honestly cant say that a lot of what they were showing in this video was really doing much for me.

Specifically, while I cant say I had as intense a reaction as Roger Ebert apparently did, I personally didnt find stuff like "cancer boy" to be funny, like, at all.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Yes I do the kids in the Hall humor never really stuck with me but then again I watched it after watching Dave Foley and Newsradio and finding about that, while looking up things about him after seeing him and Blast from the Past (that Brendan Fraser movie. Ugh I have rants about that!)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
My mate who has the worst opinions on films ever, hated this movie, so it's likely incredible.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Love the Don Beveridge book appearing out of nowhere.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
See I keep hearing good things about it but it's because they keep it real 70s.... Well in that one respect... in the movie that I can't watch it I just couldn't do it.

I'd recommend it otherwise my friend really enjoyed it.

And if any of you all have been missing Orville/need a good Start Trek fix, I suggest you catch up. This last episode was amazing... All I can say!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
The Black Phone was decent. Not scary at all, though, apart from that one sorta-jump scare. That's not a slight on the movie itself (moreso on how it's been advertised), I don't think it was even trying to be a horror movie, it's more of a tense thriller.

One thing that bugged me was why the boy didn't just stack or fold the rolled-up rugs against the wall (or the mattress even) and just climb out the window?

I thought for sure that's what he was gonna do but it just never came up again.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Someone in the Picard Season 3 trailer thread going in HARD on RLM. lol

Mike & Rich's Season 2 reviews must have got to them real bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone in the Picard Season 3 trailer thread going in HARD on RLM. lol

Mike & Rich's Season 2 reviews must have got to them real bad.
I've watched all their reviews of Picard and they didn't say any of the shit they're being accused of in that thread lol. I think most of the hate coasts off of their Captain Marvel review or politically incorrect jokes they made in the earlier days that they've grown out of now. In general I've never seen them support right-wing politics, quite the opposite actually.

The Captain Marvel review did suck though, they really projected a lot of cynicism they have over Hollywood unfairly onto Brie Larson.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They are white centrist that hate change in any form, that includes minority representation in movies, simple as that.

I don't think thats true. Brie larson is the only one who has copped it, there have been plenty of times they have looked favourbly upon a movie that had a female or person of colour lead. I think they took a lot of the cynicism and pessimism they had about the film industry - especially Disney - and projected it onto Brie unfairly. This is a group who makes jokes about celebrities dying, old people exercising, and talked shit about Bruce Willis for months, I think they sometimes throw shit out there without realising that people are paying attention.

Or maybe I am just giving them too much of a benefit of the doubt!

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think thats true. Brie larson is the only one who has copped it, there have been plenty of times they have looked favourbly upon a movie that had a female or person of colour lead. I think they took a lot of the cynicism and pessimism they had about the film industry - especially Disney - and projected it onto Brie unfairly. This is a group who makes jokes about celebrities dying, old people exercising, and talked shit about Bruce Willis for months, I think they sometimes throw shit out there without realising that people are paying attention.

I remember in their Rocketeer Re:View that Mike mentioned the idea of a reboot, that he would like to see Pam Grier in the lead role, just to see the pissed off minority of detractors. Whether he meant that for real or as a joke, I don't know.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mike's #1 political view is that he thinks big corporations are evil.

Like, in the early Plinkett Reviews, Mike named a trope called "a case of the notgays", which was when two people might do something that might possibly be construed as gay, the story would come to a grinding halt just to verify that these people are in fact heterosexual. Hollywood is one of the gayest places on Earth, so in a time of ignorance they knew all about the existence of gay people, yet they chose to court homophobia, and placed homophobia as even more important than story. Mike points to this as proof that greedy corporations are evil. I don't believe that Mike is really an ally, nor is he a homophobe, his main concern is story, and he's concerned that evil corporations have taken over what used to be his niche little nerd-hobby. Comic-Con used to be a bunch of nerds exchanging comic books, and now it's the lavishly-produced grand stage of megacorps.

A number of years later, and the winds of capitalism have changed, and now Disney purports to be an ally of the gays, and Mike says not to trust Disney because they're an evil megacorp, and Mike gets shouted down as an alt-right homophobe for talking shit about ally-Disney.

A couple years later, and people are starting to see through the illusion of Disney's fifteenth "First gay X!", while it's revealed that Disney gives money to politicians who run on a platform of murdering gay kids. Mike was right. And not because he's Nostradamus, but because he's a cynical bastard.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, things are just so fucking black and white for some people, huh. "Far right"... Good grief.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017

Brie Larson thing was IIRC about her saying that movies that are not made for white men are not treated fairly in the industry dominated by white men and there needs to be a more diversity amongst the movie critics. And God knows why, Mike and Jay took it very personally.

I haven't seen that video in years, but from what I remember their main argument was that she cannot critique people that give her and her movies good reviews, she just can't, can't bite the hand that feeds you (unless that hand belongs to Disney, than doing so makes you automatically rebel and the visionary and a "real" filmmaker I guess).

Which is essentially typical white boomer "know your place" mentality, women and minorities being stars of the niche art house movies that only a handfull of people will watch and care about is okay, but blockbusters and other culturally important things are no-no, culture created by white people was perfect when they where young so there is no need to change anything.

And their Disney bitching rings more and more hollow when they still give it money and cover it stuff, I would rather have them completely stop covering Disney and superhero content than having Jay act like Walt Disney killed his dog in every video, they just sound like Era residential film snobs, it's as tiring as the things they complain about at this point.

Last edited:

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brie Larson thing was IIRC about her saying that movies that are not made for white men are not treated fairly in the industry dominated by white men and there needs to be a more diversity amongst the movie critics. And God knows why, Mike and Jay took it very personally.

I haven't seen that video in years, but from what I remember their main argument was that she cannot critique people that give her and her movies good reviews, she just can't, can't bite the hand that feeds you (unless that hand belongs to Disney, than doing so makes you automatically rebel and the visionary and a "real" filmmaker I guess).

Which is essentially typical white boomer "know your place" mentality, women and minorities being stars of the niche art house movies that only a handfull of people will watch and care about is okay, but blockbusters and other culturally important things are no-no, culture created by white people was perfect when they where young so there is no need to change anything.

And their Disney bitching rings more and more hollow when they still give it money and cover it stuff, I would rather have them completely stop covering Disney and superhero content than having Jay act like Walt Disney killed his dog in every video, they just sound like Era residential film snobs, it's as tiring as the things they complain about at this point.
They do cover marvel blockbusters less and less tho, even the MoM thing felt more like a Raimi thing. The fact that it was followed closely by an Army of Darkness Re:View cements that.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Yeah, and some people are piling on that with agreement because they think Rich and Mike's views are right-wing. Nevermind that the show's bad due to bad writing/character development.
When I watched the occasional Previously Recorded Twitch stream, Rich would be extolling the virtues of Bernie Sanders. I don't think he went pro-Trump after Hillary got the nomination.

Mike is a different story. I've seen some early 2000s pro-Bush statements he made floating around from screenshots of forum posts he made. It seems since that time his opinions have shifted. At least other than the Brie Larson stuff.

Picard is truly terrible and its not over the politics. Its the complete tonal shift from TNG and the writing that is glaringly bad.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
They do cover marvel blockbusters less and less tho, even the MoM thing felt more like a Raimi thing. The fact that it was followed closely by an Army of Darkness Re:View cements that.
from a quick glance it looks like they've covered two marvel movies on their own half in the bag in the last 3 years

black widow and multiverse

and none of the marvel shows

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just rewatched the Captain Marvel review. Mike says (a week late to the party, as usual for RLM) that when he watched the movie he thought it was fine (he recommends the movie at the end of the review, Jay doesn't), and then he went online and saw that it was already the center of a culture war firestorm, kicked off by Brie Larson's pre-release comments (Mike didn't start this mess, he hardly even poured gas onto it). So he took 10-15 minutes at the start of the review to address the controversy. He thinks both sides are ridiculous idiots for making such a big deal out of nothing, but he (and Jay) think that Brie had an important and good thing to say (more diverse voices makes the conversation richer), but how she said it was pretty bad ("I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about "A Wrinkle in Time." It wasn't made for him."), and how she said it specifically targets people like Mike and Jay and tells them to shut up and stop reviewing movies.

Mike thinks that people are perfectly capable of saying good things about movies that aren't made for them (like, white dudes had previously called Brie Larson an amazing actress, so they aren't trying to push her down for being a woman), it was just A Wrinkle in Time which some people didn't like (Mike and Jay didn't even watch it, since they don't watch kids movies). Somehow it's just the negative reviews that are always considered suspect and wrong.

After this review, the left side of the culture war attacked Mike for taking the right side's side of the argument, which I think is why he started taking shots at Brie Larson, because the left pissed him off (and they were wrong, in his opinion), and he knows this action pisses them off, so he'll keep on kicking that beehive. And let's be clear, Resetera is not neutral. Resetera is one of those left side culture war beehives.

I should also note that my absolute favorite female film critic, Lindsay Ellis, made a tweet comparing an upcoming YA Disney movie to an extremely popular YA cartoon, and she was called a racist and driven off the internet and out of film criticism and out of public life entirely.

On a related topic, I just saw this video posted on Reddit earlier (listen to that tone in his voice).

I would suggest that Mike (a man who was raised on Star Trek: The Next Generation) hates rich people, he hates what capitalism does to poor people (has done for ages, is currently doing right now, and will continue to do for the entire foreseeable future), and he believes in Universal Basic Income and Universal Pharmacare. Far-left ideas that even Canada has not been able to create.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched the Captain Marvel review. Mike says (a week late to the party, as usual for RLM) that when he watched the movie he thought it was fine (he recommends the movie at the end of the review, Jay doesn't), and then he went online and saw that it was already the center of a culture war firestorm, kicked off by Brie Larson's pre-release comments (Mike didn't start this mess, he hardly even poured gas onto it). So he took 10-15 minutes at the start of the review to address the controversy. He thinks both sides are ridiculous idiots for making such a big deal out of nothing, but he (and Jay) think that Brie had an important and good thing to say (more diverse voices makes the conversation richer), but how she said it was pretty bad ("I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about "A Wrinkle in Time." It wasn't made for him."), and how she said it specifically targets people like Mike and Jay and tells them to shut up and stop reviewing movies.

Mike thinks that people are perfectly capable of saying good things about movies that aren't made for them (like, white dudes had previously called Brie Larson an amazing actress, so they aren't trying to push her down for being a woman), it was just A Wrinkle in Time which some people didn't like (Mike and Jay didn't even watch it, since they don't watch kids movies). Somehow it's just the negative reviews that are always considered suspect and wrong.

After this review, the left side of the culture war attacked Mike for taking the right side's side of the argument, which I think is why he started taking shots at Brie Larson, because the left pissed him off (and they were wrong, in his opinion), and he knows this action pisses them off, so he'll keep on kicking that beehive. And let's be clear, Resetera is not neutral. Resetera is one of those left side culture war beehives.

I should also note that my absolute favorite female film critic, Lindsay Ellis, made a tweet comparing an upcoming YA Disney movie to an extremely popular YA cartoon, and she was called a racist and driven off the internet and out of film criticism and out of public life entirely.

On a related topic, I just saw this video posted on Reddit earlier (listen to that tone in his voice).

I would suggest that Mike (a man who was raised on Star Trek: The Next Generation) hates rich people, he hates what capitalism does to poor people (has done for ages, is currently doing right now, and will continue to do for the entire foreseeable future), and he believes in Universal Basic Income and Universal Pharmacare. Far-left ideas that even Canada has not been able to create.
The fact they thought that Larson comments are somehow pointed at internet influencers shows they either completely miss the point of what she was saying or have delusions of grandeur, possibly both. RLM might have a big audience by the YouTube standards, but it's that number is insignificant compared to the reach of people writing the reviews for big newspapers or websites. This is the kind of people she was talking about, like that one old white dude that lamented there wasn't enough erotism in the Dora The Explorer live action movie, or that other old white dude that complained about Carey Mulligan being not hot enough for her role in Promising Young Woman. If anything, YouTube movie review industry that RLM kinda kickstarted is far more diverse that the old guard ever will be.

But back to the topic, saying that BL should use different words just shows that, again, they miss the point. Her comments were deliberately inflammatory, so they cannot be easily ignored, but by doing that, she went out of her lane and questioned the status quo, which is why so many people got mad at her.

And in case it isn't obvious, the fact that big injustices exist does not mean that small injustices are not valid and should be ignored, this is an extremely lazy way to move the goalpost. All of the above is very on brand for centrist boomers, but the last thing especially, it reminds me how Oprah was using Africa's issues to deflect the fact she did not gave a shit about black people in her own country.

Like I've said, Mike and Jay are white centrist, and so are their opinions. They are not alt right, they have some good opinions and observations on the state of today's world, but they also have a lot of really bad ones, on which they triple down when called out, and show no desire to educate themselfs. So don't see the reason to defend them, really.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Like I've said, Mike and Jay are white centrist, and so are their opinions. They are not alt right, they have some good opinions and observations on the state of today's world, but they also have a lot of really bad ones, on which they triple down when called out, and show no desire to educate themselfs. So don't see the reason to defend them, really.
Not even when they're called alt-right?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Commentary; Antagonizing Fellow Members
It's funny how the Brie Larson PR committee reappears sporadicaly in this thread

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
So lemme guess; anyone who takes issue with how RLM treated Brie's comments are instantly part of her "PR committee" right?

I guess in the same way that anyone that criticizes Brie Larson is called alt-right?

It's honestly not worth discussing further — it's been discussed to death and they don't even talk about it anymore. How many times we gotta kick dirt in each other's faces over this shit

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I guess in the same way that anyone that criticizes Brie Larson is called alt-right?

It's honestly not worth discussing further — it's been discussed to death and they don't even talk about it anymore. How many times we gotta kick dirt in each other's faces over this shit
Listen, I'm honestly not looking to start shit for the sake of starting shit. But this thread is the place on this forum to specifically discuss RedLetterMedia's content.

I'd personally rather it be a place to potentially critically discuss that output without being passive-agressively accused of being part of some imagined defence force.