• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the leaks are to be believed. They're just using an old graphic novel as the main backbone of the story. 😞

Which i don't like. As it's just more reheated SW. I want new shit, not old shit. Ya know.
I want/wanted the Sequel Trilogy to be unapologetic Science Fantasy.

I wanted Luke in Episode 7 to be basically Gandalf with a dusty old X-Wing. He meets Rey and sees that she has the potential to be the next great Jedi hero, so he takes her under his wing. They set off on a lighthearted adventure. They make a stop early on to meet Queen Leia and her Royal Consort and get some supplies, and Rey is shocked to learn that the old man knows such important people. "Oh her? She's my sister." Leia assigns Poe to go with them and drive the unarmed transport. The Falcon stays in Han's garage and doesn't make an appearance. They eventually meet the runaway coward Finn and learn more about the plot. Shit quickly gets too real and Luke dies protecting the kids (he coulda smoked the powerful enemies easy if he was alone, but then the kids would've died, and that's simply not gonna happen on Luke's watch, so he gets himself killed instead, confident that Rey can take it from here). Rey inherits Luke's green saber. Poe inherits Luke's X-Wing. Finn turned around and had a hero character arc, due to meeting Luke. To be continued in Episode 8. Leia and Han show up leading an army to save the day at the low point of Episode 9, when all is lost after the new heroes have done their bit to save the day but the rest seems impossible, while the soundtrack blasts the John Williams version of "O Fortuna" (Han is allowed to be flying the Falcon at this point).

Also, Rey fights a literal dragon at some point (or possibly the sci-fi equivalent).

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since we're throwing batshit predictions around, let me present you one of my own:

Rey being so hung up on being nobody, she'll marry Dude Skywalker in the past and give birth to Shmee.

everything rhymes and all that jazz, you know?
Or she travels back in time and uses up her force powers to make herself pregnant, and changes name to Shmee. There was no father.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO at Mike's theory. No way they Endgame Star Wars, no way.

or way?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I want to rule it out because completely aside from what it means as far as Star Wars itself goes, literally everyone will say "Uh...so they just Endgame'd it? What?" and immediately recognize how creatively bankrupt that idea is.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to rule it out because completely aside from what it means as far as Star Wars itself goes, literally everyone will say "Uh...so they just Endgame'd it? What?" and immediately recognize how creatively bankrupt that idea is.
I mean, they're all under disney's roof. what if an intern tripped and both drafts for endgame and rise of skywalker got mixed together. was there anything star wars-y in endgame?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they'll just have past-Palpatine kill rose while saying "get out of my star war" and the fans will love it regardless

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the disney de-aging cg has all led to this

young luke, leia and han travel forward through time to star in episodes 10-12
Time to appeal to a new generation of fans
il_570xN.1419197187_tqgy.jpg

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to tell Mike to watch Rebels. They introduced time travel in the last season!

If there is time travel it won't have anything to do with Endgame. The idea would go back 3 or 4 to when the rebel storyline was planned. Also Lucasfilm writes the stories, Disney would not be involved in those decisions.

One thing I don't get is when Rich says, you can't make good Star Wars stories as the world is bankrupt. Strong disagree on that one. You can make an interesting story and or world out of ANYTHING. Let alone a world like Star Wars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I struggle to watch anything they do related to Star Wars now, given that I love the sequel trilogy. So I was meh on this video.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to tell Mike to watch Rebels. They introduced time travel in the last season!

If there is time travel it won't have anything to do with Endgame. The idea would go back 3 or 4 to when the rebel storyline was planned. Also Lucasfilm writes the stories, Disney would not be involved in those decisions.

One thing I don't get is when Rich says, you can't make good Star Wars stories as the world is bankrupt. Strong disagree on that one. You can make an interesting story and or world out of ANYTHING. Let alone a world like Star Wars.
I don't think he meant in general. of course you can write a good story in any kind of universe. it's more of a "too many cooks"-situation where everyone has a say in it.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
JJ Abrams is incapable of doing anything original. What's less original than time travel? The pieces fit.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I struggle to watch anything they do related to Star Wars now, given that I love the sequel trilogy. So I was meh on this video.
lol same as me. I'm a big fan of the ST. I don't mind watching them take the piss, though the Last Jedi review was a tough one. Who knows they might end up liking TROS? Doubt it though. They've seemed pretty down on SW for the last couple of years. Although, Mike and Rich seemed to like Solo.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017

That really depends on if you believe in core storytelling, keeping a theme alive or not and if Star Wars is more than force good/evil and lightsabers. You can dress up a good story in the cosmetics of any popular thing but that does not mean that your story is actually a part of the overarching popular IP you used to dress up your story with at it's core.

So you can tell a heartwarming story about a simple scrap-trader in Star Wars and his relationship to his half human half alien child and what life is like on their desert planet, and it can be such a well told story that you cried your eyes out and love the characters and at the same time you can ask the question what this has to do with Star Wars, costumes aside.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That really depends on if you believe in core storytelling, keeping a theme alive or not and if Star Wars is more than force good/evil and lightsabers. You can dress up a good story in the cosmetics of any popular thing but that does not mean that your story is actually a part of the overarching popular IP you used to dress up your story with at it's core.

So you can tell a heartwarming story about a simple scrap-trader in Star Wars and his relationship to his half human half alien child and what life is like on their desert planet, and it can be such a well told story that you cried your eyes out and love the characters and at the same time you can ask the question what this has to do with Star Wars, costumes aside.
But whatever Star Wars is and means can change and evolve over time. They don't need Lucas permission to do so.

I guess, after the Benioff an Weiss films, and, if they ever happen, the Rian Johnson trilogy we will have a better idea of where the franchise can be taken once it completely breaks away from the OT.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
But whatever Star Wars is and means can change and evolve over time. They don't need Lucas permission to do so.

I guess, after the Benioff an Weiss films, and, if they ever happen, the Rian Johnson trilogy we will have a better idea of where the franchise can be taken once it completely breaks away from the OT.

I 'm not sure I'd agree that it really can do that, but maybe they are going to try? (or maybe not, well see if they really abandon the staples of the franchise, if I had to bet on it, lightsabers and the force will be always at the center of these movies.)
I have trouble thinking of a popular ip that managed to do that, or even tried in the first place.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I 'm not sure I'd agree that it really can do that, but maybe they are going to try? (or maybe not, well see if they really abandon the staples of the franchise, if I had to bet on it, lightsabers and the force will be always at the center of these movies.)
I have trouble thinking of a popular ip that managed to do that, or even tried in the first place.
If it's going to be around for another 40 years, producing movies, at regular intervals, it HAS to do that.

The brand is not as popular worldwide as comic book movies tend to be. It's not bulletproof at all (see Solo). The next few years will be interesting to watch unfold.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's going to be around for another 40 years, producing movies, at regular intervals, it HAS to do that.

The brand is not as popular worldwide as comic book movies tend to be. It's not bulletproof at all (see Solo). The next few years will be interesting to watch unfold.
sure if they take a 20-year break. star wars to them is a product, they want to sell tons of plastic crap that accompanies their movies. you don't see them wearing maz kanata masks and swinging rey staff-thingy from force awakens, it's always yoda, vader and lightsabers.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for Rich when I can't even remember exactly what he said, but... I think what Rich was saying was...

People were giving JJ shit for being uncreative with The Force Awakens, what with it's forced Rebels vs Empire setup, and it's Death Star 3, and it's lightsabers and secret connection to the Skywalker bloodline, and it's X-Wings and Millennium Falcon fanservice.

And, when Disney bought Lucasfilm, fans seemed to think that Disney was adding a branch that was easily as big and creatively-rich as any other. Lucasfilm is as important as Walt Disney Animation Studios. Lucasfilm is as important as Pixar. Lucasfilm is as important as Marvel Studios.

But for all the infinite universe of storytelling that Star Wars purports to offer, the story is fundamentally small, because George Lucas made it small, and the fanbase is trained to have a narrow view of Star Wars, and Disney won't go against giving the fans the fanservice that they want, because they paid a lot for Star Wars, and because small-minded fanservice is where the money is. JJ was just giving his clients exactly what they asked for.

WDAS, Pixar, and Marvel Studios aren't nearly so narrowly defined as Lucasfilm is. Of course, this is fixable, but that would require creators like Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams to say "f*** it" and do something crazy with the series, and such a thing might fail and produce a bad movie, or at least a divisive one.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheerilee I don't believe the money is in 'small-minded fanservice' anymore. I think the fans have had their fill of that and would like new stuff. If they keep doing the same shit over and over, it won't work for much longer.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Thread got locked via OT request, which I think was the right move, considering less than half of the posts had anything to do with the video. Here was the post I was preparing before it got locked:

"What you see here is the only discussion that will occur in RLM topics. Just like you can't discuss a Cinnemascre video without it instantly becoming about Mike Mattei. Just like how every thread involving Mark Wahlberg must mention the fact that he pretty much did a hate crime when he was 15.

It's not that it isn't worth talking about, it's that it is the ONLY thing that can be talked about anymore. It's been discussed to death."

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I want this movie to be absolutely terrible to the point where it's enjoyable or just boring old JJ... Would probably enjoy the former more.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RLM topic in the OT, let's see how many posts it'll take before someone calls them sexist and ...

.... the second reply.

They're not wrong. I'm still a viewer of their content but some of their stuff has made being a fan hard. The Captain Marvel video being the most recent example

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Why did Disney not plan the damn sequel trilogy out ahead of time? Yes I know the OT was a fly by the seat of their pants operation from the start too but that was great in spite of that.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
They're not wrong. I'm still a viewer of their content but some of their stuff has made being a fan hard. The Captain Marvel video being the most recent example
I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying that you can't have any discussion about RLM without the same people coming in and complaining about the same shit. The thread had 13 replies, and only FIVE of them were actually about this video.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread got locked via OT request, which I think was the right move. Here was the post I was preparing before it got locked:

"What you see here is the only discussion that will occur in RLM topics. Just like you can't discuss a Cinnemascre video without it instantly becoming about Mike Mattei. Just like how every thread involving Mark Wahlberg must mention the fact that he pretty much did a hate crime when he was 15.

It's not that it isn't worth discussing, it's that it is the ONLY thing that can be discussed anymore. It's been discussed to death."
Until they offer a heartfelt apology what else is there to discuss? Rich Evans to this day has never apologized for the live stream video of him bashing and mocking the women's march in DC and feminists.

Fans should be the ones demanding them to apologize and change. It's the only way they may realize how inappropriate and offensive they have been.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying that you can't have any discussion about RLM without the same people coming in and complaining about the same shit. The thread had 13 replies, and only FIVE of them were actually about this video.

They have the right to bring it up imo.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Until they offer a heartfelt apology what else is there to discuss? Rich Evans to this day has never apologized for the live stream video of him bashing and mocking the women's march in DC and feminists.
How about, I don't know, the video that the OP was about?

With that Dog the Bounty Hunter thread, I'm really getting annoyed by how this forum is.

They have the right to bring it up imo.
Could they give it a couple of minutes to allow a bit of discussion before running the hate train through?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about, I don't know, the video that the OP was about?

With that Dog the Bounty Hunter thread, I'm really getting annoyed by how this forum is.
We should just ignore their dismissive and offensive comments about women in the mean time? Why should they be allowed a pass?

Fans should be the ones most focused on this. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if they realize how much some of their comments have hurt people?

Is the proper response to bigotry to ignore it?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As I've said the last few times this topic came up, RLM's humor has always been crude and offensive. I don't think there's any malice behind it. If I did I wouldn't be watching their videos.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Thread got locked via OT request, which I think was the right move, considering less than half of the posts had anything to do with the video. Here was the post I was preparing before it got locked:

It's not that it isn't worth talking about, it's that it is the ONLY thing that can be talked about anymore. It's been discussed to death."
This is a pretty "I just want to talk about video games" stance to take, honestly.

Considering RLM has, seemingly un-apologetically, veered into pandering to the worst parts of online culture and have had some incredibly side-eye worthy takes I think it's something that needs to be discussed especially since a lot of people are seemingly unaware of it. I was a fan of theirs for a long time and defended them a bunch but I've had enough of them, they've basically turned into the thing Plinkett was originally supposed to be mocking.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said the last few times this topic came up, RLM's humor has always been crude and offensive. I don't think there's any malice behind it. If I did I wouldn't be watching their videos.
Rich Evans on a live stream ranted about feminists and mocked the women's march on DC and told them to let Trump do his job. That is pretty malicious. It wasn't in the form of a jokey RLM video.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I think informing people of the shitty things they've said is totally fine, especially since they don't seem interested in introspection, self-improvement, or even apologizing.

And this is coming from someone who still watches them regularly.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think Episode IX going full time travel would make for the most perfect comparison to Endgame. There's already the forced conclusion/nostalgia vs. natural conclusion/nostalgia aspect to it but with a direct copying of the whole 'go back to past films and meet past characters for a fun farewell romp' idea it would just be delightfully coincidental.

As for the thread, eh, I just wanted to talk about the time travel possibility and there wasn't exactly anywhere else to do that. Would have made a thread just asking people about it but I had a feeling a thread like that would have just been locked.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Mike talking about time travel was reaching, but was exactly the kind of thing I'd be worried about JJ doing. If Episode IX were to "copy" Endgame that would probably be the thing to overtake TLJ discussions as the most tired thing.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the time travel cop out of Endgame was already bad enough, i would fucking walk out if it was in this

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I agree with this. They also regularly call out blatant sexism, homophobia and racism in videos and films featured on Best of the Worst. BUT they are very dismissive of issues that do not affect them personally and it's disheartening that they make zero effort to educate themselves on these topics and instead get defensive and double down, for years now.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Downplaying sexism and bigotry
Rich Evans on a live stream ranted about feminists and mocked the women's march on DC and told them to let Trump do his job. That is pretty malicious. It wasn't in the form of a jokey RLM video.

I don't agree. That sounds exactly like the shit that they routinely make Rich say to offend people. You're either on board with this type of humor or you're not, I wouldn't blame people either way.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
What they need is a woman in the rotation of guests, it would probably help them have perspective on things they normally wouldn't have as a group of guys. We need a new Jessie, basically.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Reminds me of James saying "I am not watching this new Ghostbusters movie" and having his wife wind up being called a gold digging whore in response, by I'm pretty sure that one guy who was outed as a sexual predator. A lot of sick, twisted people denigrating and undermining positive social causes just to get off on being bullies out there

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did Disney not plan the damn sequel trilogy out ahead of time? Yes I know the OT was a fly by the seat of their pants operation from the start too but that was great in spite of that.
There have been mixed messages out of Lucasfilm with regards to this. I happen to believe they had an outline that they have stuck to, but allowed the writers/directors a surprising amount of freedom. Kennedy, for instance, was recently quoted as saying Palpatine's' return had been planned for a long time.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people are overthinking IX. They're bringing Palpatine back because it allows them to redeem Kylo and also give this trilogy some actual relevance. Of course, by doing this they further undercut the original trilogy. Also, there is no way in hell they had Palpie being alive planned from the start.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What they need is a woman in the rotation of guests, it would probably help them have perspective on things they normally wouldn't have as a group of guys. We need a new Jessie, basically.
Agreed. I was watching the Cannon special and the discussion about Death Wish 3 made me think they "understand" the many problems in that movie, but at the same time, they excused it because of the violence and action scenes.