• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019
Well, I guess it's safe to say we will have to wait an extra year for TES VI now.

Before Starfield was delayed, I expected TES VI to come out in 2026 (4 years after Starfield), but now that it has been delayed to 2023...

I'm afraid TES VI is starting to look like a 2027 game (maybe even 2028 if it gets delayed like Starfield was).

And if it is really released so late, it will most likely be a crossgen game with the next Xbox after Series X/S.

Skyrim will be 16 years old in 2027 (or 17 years old in 2028).

WTF

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
What a bummer, but if they need it to make the game better, I can live with it. I'm just going to pencil in 11/11/23 as the new release date and be pleasantly surprised if it's sooner. I guess Elden Ring can be my Fall game.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Bethesda would sacrifice the launch quality of the game for the sake of a cool date.

They don't have the pressure of pleasing investors and trying to release in a specific financial quarter. Microsoft are trying to grow Xbox Game Pass over the long term, and they don't need to squander the potential of Starfield by rushing it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Continuing Thread Derail

Excuse the source, but this is where the idea is coming from. The alleged RE8 contract. Something similar is probably worded on COD.

Marketing deal doesn't mean perpetual deal id imagine. I assume RE8 deal expired over a certain period. Also, I'm sure MS could modify Gamepass part once they're owners of CoD. Either way, CoD is coming to GP.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Phil Spencer needs to get his shit together. He's got some great ideas and vision. But holy fuck this man can't manage to get a consistent flow of great games out. Seems like there's always problems with studios

Sony also pump out 1st party exclusives slowly- Nintendo are the only 1st party publisher who have a consistent stream of releases from year to year. Last year was fairly dry for Sony- this year is MS turn. Making AAA games isn't easy and has only got more difficult with fidelity expectations.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
FF16 and God of War will be pushed to 2023 and we have fuck all big through the rest of this year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer needs to get his shit together. He's got some great ideas and vision. But holy fuck this man can't manage to get a consistent flow of great games out. Seems like there's always problems with studios
MS were given the highest award for quality last year from MC. They just had a record quarter in terms of sales. Fact games can be pushed back to improve is one of the luxuries working under Phil. Releasing pressure from devs to make a better game isn't a problem, it's a perk.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

They just relased Psychonauts 2, Age of Empires 4, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, and Forza Horizon 5 all within the last year...what the hell are you talking about?

Also, Spencer is making good on his word that he would allow MS studios creative autonomy, free from a lot of corporate oversight. As such the developers are allowed to take their time, and MS isn't breathing down their necks about release dates. They'd rather release quality games slowly than broken ones quickly.

It's worth reiterating that most people in-the-know predicted that MS' army of first party acquisitions wouldn't start baring fruit on a regular, reliable basis until 2023 at the earliest, and that was before mass delays caused by COVID.

But yeah fuck him for not making devs crunch to meet a release date I guess?

Jedimastertoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2021
They just relased Psychonauts 2, Age of Empires 4, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, and Forza Horizon 5 all within the last year...what the hell are you talking about?

Also, Spencer is making good on his word that he would allow MS studios creative autonomy, free from a lot of corporate oversight. As such the developers are allowed to take their time, and MS isn't breathing down their necks about release dates. They'd rather release quality games slowly than broken ones quickly.

It's worth reiterating that most people in-the-know predicted that MS' army of first party acquisitions wouldn't start baring fruit on a regular, reliable basis until 2023 at the earliest, and that was before mass delays caused by COVID.

But yeah fuck him for not making devs crunch to meet a release date I guess?
Yep Halo infinite is an absolute mess right now. When's the last time there was positive news around that game? Even Forza horizon 5 had huge online issues. Studio mismanagement seems to be everywhere from 343 to rare with everwild. Even their new studio the initiative. Maybe Microsoft should hold off on announcing all these games with cg trailers that arent even close to being ready if this is gonna keep happening. And never once did I say I wanted anyone to crunch..

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Y'all will have a terrible gen if you think 4 years is enough to polished, huge, beautiful AAA games in 4k/60fps minimum

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Man is there a serious lack of games announced for this year. Shaping up to be a pretty barren couple years for these consoles especially Xbox

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
tenor.gif

Oh well, it's up to the indie surprises to make 2022 then. Will be a good year for my backlog. Also chance of trying Elden Ring just went up.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
They're still showing us concept art for Starfield rather than actual in game stuff, as far as I know. This delay really shouldn't shock anyone.

Jan 11, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I fully expect GOWR to be great. Just not great enough to dethrone Elden Ring.
The only game that had that potential this year (that we know of) was Starfield, if (and admittedly that is a big if) BGS managed to come up with something really amazing within their openworld RPG formula.

Eh, people thought RDR2 would be God of War, it didn't. I know it's a different situation, but I still think Ragnarok has a shot to "upset" again, though I'll agree odds are not in its favor.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising since they've shown zero gameplay of either opting to instead rely on talking about concept art and CG trailers.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Well, I guess it's safe to say we will have to wait an extra year for TES VI now.

Before Starfield was delayed, I expected TES VI to come out in 2026 (4 years after Starfield), but now that it has been delayed to 2023...

I'm afraid TES VI is starting to look like a 2027 game (maybe even 2028 if it gets delayed like Starfield was).

And if it is really released so late, it will most likely be a crossgen game with the next Xbox after Series X/S.

Skyrim will be 16 years old in 2027 (or 17 years old in 2028).

WTF

I'm not expecting TES VI until 2030 at this rate.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No it wasn't. Bethesda have a record of releasing on time. Maybe for Redfall, but for Starfield it's definitely a surprise.

But F76 launch wasn't exactly great, a repeat just to "release on time" would be awful

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right, but I think that one will be Fallout 5.

If TES VI ends up being a 2027 or 2028 game, don't expect the next Fallout until 2031 or 2032 at least.

3/4 years of full dev is not enough these days. They can release it, but who knows in what state

Oct 25, 2017
I had somehow missed the bit about an Oblivion style persuasion minigame back in March. No kidding, it may sound trivial, but that hurts my interest more than anything else I've heard about the game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I understand and fully support this.

I was responding to a post saying this was predictable. That's definitely not the case for Starfield, Bethesda almost always meet a launch date once it is announced.

Yea this wasn't predictable but now people can gleam about how "obvious" it was. Might be the most annoying part about this all.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Better delayed than released in an horrendous state.
Obviously getting the game in a good state without the need for a delay would have been better, both sentiment aren't mutually exclusives....

But damn at least show your game please.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this year is going to be barren for gaming. Given, I have a major backlog anyway and Elden Ring itself can keep me busy for the rest of the year, but it still bums me out since there appears to not be much to get excited about in 2022.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Sucks but there is enough on GamePass currently and coming out in the future and stuff coming out on other platforms too. I think we'll survive?