• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Damn it. Guess I know what my winter looks like this year.

euuqyw2l6nr21.jpg

Always prefer to see a game delayed than released rough though. The better the launch is, the happier I'll be in the long run. Definitely hurts to see from a BGS game though =(

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Knew it, Starfield was never going to launch this year. Guess we'll be seeing Elder Scrolls no sooner than 2028 then.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I expect this will be a good decision. I've been much more excited by this game then any of their past projects, because its something entirely new for their studio and its in Outer Space which is a setting I love in future-forward sci-fi.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
The game has been in development since the release of Fallout 4, which is basically since late 2015. Fallout 76 was developed primarily by another team so the "main" Bethesda team has not released a original title since then. It does raise some concern that they felt the need to push the date even further. Hopefully this wont be one of those situations where people start asking what the hell Bethesda has been doing for the last 5-7 years once they get their hands on the game, like with Halo Infinite and Anthem.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
My year is ruined. Fucking blows. At least they confirmed we will see gameplay in a month I guess.

Also, yeah, Phil is gonna have to bust out the game pass check book. Like pronto.

Jun 5, 2018
Todd should have never announced the release date so early, following the Fallout 4 marketing plan of a trailer drop and blowout 6 months before the game ships should've have been the proper move.
I agree, though with elder scrolls 6 not having anything for over a decade after Skyrim wouldn't of felt great either, I honestly think there's no wining in these situations, starfield really needs to deliver too since it's a new IP, I was sure I heard they'd had a working build since summer last year too, oh well.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
If Microsoft drops gold requirements for multiplayer I will cancel gamepass.

I own what I want already and Xbox won't have much to add to gamepass for sometime.

Oct 27, 2017
My year is ruined. Fucking blows. At least they confirmed we will see gameplay in a month I guess.

Also, yeah, Phil is gonna have to bust out the game pass check book. Like pronto.

I recently made a prediction Callisto Protocol is coming out onto Game Pass day one. Let's see if that happens this year, assuming the game actually makes it out this year.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Was obvious yet all I kept hearing every time was "Oh but Fallout 4 did it so no way Redfall or Starfield will be delayed" or "Game Pass games don't need long to promote them."

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely did not see this coming. Announcing the exact release date for Starfield a year early felt like a batter announcing a home run. Like they were absolutely sure they'll hit it

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. I expected RedFall but I they were so damn sure of the Starfield release date.

Damn Microsoft, that only leaves Forza for the rest of the year???

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I agree, though with elder scrolls 6 not having anything for over a decade after Skyrim wouldn't of felt great either, I honestly think there's no wining in these situations, starfield really needs to deliver too since it's a new IP, I was sure I heard they'd had a working build since summer last year too, oh well.

they likely had the ability to play from start to finish last summer, and have realized certain systems need more time in the oven or felt that certain things. Often when a dev says they can play from start to finish it means its there in varying states- i've worked on large games where you've been able to do that 1.5 yrs out from ship - it's great for the team to be able to see how things piece together and what needs more focus.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I was so in denial about this game getting delayed. I actually considered changing my vacation so it fell on the week after release 😂

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Why would Sony have blocked Gamepass in contract?? Exclusivity, I can see, but "you can't release on Gamepass" doesn't sound reasonable.

Excuse the source, but this is where the idea is coming from. The alleged RE8 contract. Something similar is probably worded on COD.

Shads

Jun 6, 2020
Yikes, so there's only Deathloop coming out this year? Maybe Forza Horizon 5 and Sea of Thieves expansion, but I doubt Forza Motorsport is out this year at this rate. And I guess there's also Halo Infinite Season 3, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if 343 drops the ball on that too. Microsoft will need to dump some money for third party games for Game Pass. Even though it's out already, getting Elden Ring on their service would be a win for that.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Why would Sony have blocked Gamepass in contract?? Exclusivity, I can see, but "you can't release on Gamepass" doesn't sound reasonable.
Why would Sony or any company pay tens of millions of dollars on marketing just for it to be better or cheaper to play on another system?

It sounds unreasonable not to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it. Guess I know what my winter looks like this year.

euuqyw2l6nr21.jpg

Always prefer to see a game delayed than released rough though. The better the launch is, the happier I'll be in the long run. Definitely hurts to see from a BGS game though =(

Fucking lmao! This is the best use of this meme. Thank you!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
First HALF. Doggy that means Starfield could literally be over a full year from release, holy shit.

Well at least I didn't get fucked like when I upgraded my gaming laptop for Cyberpunk, then it got delayed six months or whatever it was.

Jedimastertoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2021
Phil Spencer needs to get his shit together. He's got some great ideas and vision. But holy fuck this man can't manage to get a consistent flow of great games out. Seems like there's always problems with studios

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
It's May 12th and Microsoft doesn't have a single first party game officially scheduled for release in the coming months/years.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I can spot the distinction between exclusivity contract and sabotage quite easily, but then I'm not a lawyer.
I mean it's not a sabotage, it's just saying that we're going to give you money and market your game but don't go put it day one on a competitor's service or give the competitor exclusive features. It doesn't sound that crazy, idk.

They aren't saying "make it worse than ours" they're saying "don't make theirs better than ours". If the game runs better on XSX, that's fine.. but don't give them like ray tracing and not us kinda thing.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm stunned by Starfield. They made such a big deal outta the 11.11.22 release date I figured it was set in stone. Oh well I'll be there day one regardless

Didn't even realize Redfall was slated for 2022 lol

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Idk why but it bodes ill to me... another triple A thing where they prototype for five years then have to make the game fast in 12 months

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
wasn't this debunked lol
The part that was debunked was all the arguments over "visual parity" as if the contract was preventing the Xbox version from running at 8K or something because it can't run that way on PS5. The jist of the debunk was that it was a boiler plate marketing contract that each platform holder has used before to some extent. e.g. Cyberpunk being an Xbox marketed title probably meant that Microsoft had a similar "you can't be a PS+ game for X months, we get to discuss you coming to Game Pass before you try going to PS Now", etc.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Dont see how since 1 they dont own them yet and 2 sony probably has it blocked in the contract
wasn't this debunked lol
It's normal everybody do it

I can spot the distinction between exclusivity contract and sabotage quite easily, but then I'm not a lawyer.
I mean it's not a sabotage, it's just saying that we're going to give you money and market your game but don't go put it day one on a competitor's service or give the competitor exclusive features. It doesn't sound that crazy, idk.

They aren't saying "make it worse than ours" they're saying "don't make theirs better than ours". If the game runs better on XSX, that's fine.. but don't give them like ray tracing and not us kinda thing.
The part that was debunked was all the arguments over "visual parity" as if the contract was preventing the Xbox version from running at 8K or something because it can't run that way on PS5. The jist of the debunk was that it was a boiler plate marketing contract that each platform holder has used before to some extent. e.g. Cyberpunk being an Xbox marketed title probably meant that Microsoft had a similar "you can't be a PS+ game for X months, we get to discuss you coming to Game Pass before you try going to PS Now", etc.
End this derail.

Jan 11, 2018
Bummer, but not unexpected. Hopefully this means the devs can work sane hours and make the games as good as they can be.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame but understandable. Take your time, make the best game you can. MS 2023 is going to be a bloodbath though. Gamepass will be full of AAA fist party along with the Acti/Blizzard onslaught.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
All of this means we are getting the next Elder Scroll game at the earliest in 2027… And let's forget about the Fallout mainline franchise at this point,it's dead.
So many game studios owned by MS and so few release. I'm conflicted, i'm happy they will take their time to make the games as good as possible but man it's a long time waiting…