• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can I have an app that only shows me the two uni groups that I still stick around for?

Looks nice though, reminds me of iOS.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
For those of you that have already deleted their Facebook accounts, do you have any tips for communication with family & friends (outside of Phone calls, texts & emails) that they would actually use? I deleted my FB account before and nobody made much of an effort to use other methods other than Social Media for keeping in contact, so I ended up back on the platform (sadly) to keep in-touch and really want off again, but trying to find alternatives. I apologize if this is a dumb question.
I went off a little over three years ago and this is the hardest thing about being off social media. I've definitely lost touch with some people because of my lack of presence on it. I find that I just have to be extra intentional about reaching out to the people that matter to me. Texting, phone calls, emails, all that kind of stuff. I also found that the people that matter the most to me have made the effort to stay in touch with me as well, which has meant a lot.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did last week. I feel cleaner.

Still using messenger atm though, I think I'm stuck with it if I want to keep in contact with certain people.

It's funny I had the same situation with 2 people. I only communicated with them using messenger since that's how it's been for 10 years or so. They both were like "you're literally the only person I talk to on this thing". Moved over to other options and finally got rid of messenger too.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still use it to catch up with fam in other countries and organize events with friends. A lot of the bullshit has gone away it seems to me. I also use messenger quite a bit.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Definitely got rid of Facebook over a year ago and I haven't looked back or felt the need to. It was just a distraction and waste of time. For me, at least. I never even hopped aboard the Twitter/Instagram train either. I'm not getting wrapped up in social media like that again. I went through Live Journal, MySpace, and then Facebook. Kinda done for now. The only important people in my life that I talk to, I talk to them in person or over the phone so it's really not even a big deal.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Facebook's UI has been terrible for years, so this is a welcome change.

I'd have been happy if they just completely copied G+'s UI after it died. There's still too much clutter on Facebook even after the redesign, thanks in large part to in-Facebook games, which are pointless at this point given everybody browses on mobile and you can just download a game's app to your phone.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to get rid of all the sponsored ads. Even with uBlock it's abysmal and the entire site is a hog. I only use it for clients but I still dread it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish they mocked these up with more realistic looking content (they surely know what real posts and photos on their service look like, right)?

Fill up the news feed with Minion memes, hot takes in a colored rectangle, and ads. Lower the resolution and brightness of all the photos like 80%.

Either way, this looks to be cementing itself as "For old people!" It looks like Pinterest, which I think is also for old housewife types?

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditched Facebook last June, haven't really regretted it. Our friends who use it to organize events reach out to us individually if we are invited.

crotchett

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Ahhh FB, the hotbed of overt-racism and inflated opinions. Most of my acquaintances moved onto Insta as the platform has declined steadily since the CamAn debacle. Literally, the only good thing FB has produced is React.js and React Native. Throw everything else away (and I feel sorry for the talented engineers that work there).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you that have already deleted their Facebook accounts, do you have any tips for communication with family & friends (outside of Phone calls, texts & emails) that they would actually use? I deleted my FB account before and nobody made much of an effort to use other methods other than Social Media for keeping in contact, so I ended up back on the platform (sadly) to keep in-touch and really want off again, but trying to find alternatives. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I had noticed a few years ago that Facebook was causing me to like people less, people who I genuinely liked in real life, I liked them less knowing them on Facebook. I think this was a mix of a flaw of mine (probably some weird insecurities), but also a flaw in the algorithm, and a flaw in how people I know used Facebook. I found the algorithm was promoting content to my feed of people who I wasn't really close with, while hiding content from people who I genuinely wanted to see their content. The mix was that Facebook was just making me unhappy... I'd have more anxiety when using it, would have anxiety about it after going to a party and getting hammered, would have anxiety about someone posting something weird on my wall that I didn't want up there. At the time, and now, I describe this as "negative value" in my life. I was always a little suspicious of Facebook's data accumulation and surveillance, but I had long considered Facebook to give me "positive value"; that is to say, I got more value from the service than the cost (my data, privacy, etc). But, increasingly, my anxiety over the service, how it caused me to feel about people who I genuinely liked "in real life," and Facebook's surveillance capitalism flaws started to shift to negative value: I thought of the cost as greater than the value I was getting out of it. So, I decided to drop the platform, and all of their related products (I never had WhatsApp and while I was on Instagram from the start, I wasn't active in it and don't like it for similar reasons).

I found that the people I genuinely want to keep in contact with, I'd already do that via SMS/messages, email, or seeing them in person. But I'm old, 35, an early FB adopter back in ~2003/2004 or whenever it became available to my college. I don't feel the need to keep in touch with people who I'm only acquaintances with, or who kinda know but don't really know. And, better yet, I find that because I'm not on Facebook getting mad at those people, when I do see them, I'm genuinely happy to see them instead of being annoyed at their social media personalities or having a sense of anxiety about how they feel about my social media personality... or what have you.

If I really had to keep in touch with someone who I'm not really friends with, like some guy from college or something who I'm not close with but still want to connect with somehow, I'd be in a tough spot. I'd probably go to email, as I'm old and most people in my generation still use email or have email or check email incessantly. But, I might be genuinely out of luck with a lot of people, and wouldn't be able to contact them. I think I've just kind of accepted that reality as a preferential reality, for me. Any sense of loss I've felt by not being able to "keep in touch" with someone who I was friends with 15 years ago has been more than made up for that when I run into that person by chance, I'm always way happier to see them and we have much more to talk about than if I was snooping on their social media presentation every day or week or month.

Last edited:

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I dunno if there's a video of the actual UI, but theoretically the "stuff at the top" (like the home, notifications, etc) would probably roll with you as you scroll down, ya?
It does that now on the facebook app.

It looks cleaner and less cluttered which i guess is good but god to i just want to be able to sort posts chronologically and not get notifications so much for things.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I listened to Marks keynote and... When Facebook talks about privacy, and when everyone else is, we're talking past eachother. Because we mean different things.

What FB means with privacy is we knowing what we share with who. What we mean with privacy is not having Facebook knowing what we do, and they are not addressing that.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh.... Facebook is bringing back their Facebook Messenger desktop app??? They had an desktop app that they shut down in 2014: https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2014/02/26/facebook-messenger-windows-will-shut-march-3/#!xKlh0

Feb 26, 2014

Facebook today began prompting Facebook Messenger for Windows users with a message saying the app is shutting down next week. Without much of an explanation, the company plans to kill off Windows support for Facebook Messenger on March 3.

"We're sorry, but we can no longer support Facebook Messenger for Windows, and it will stop working on March 3, 2014," the message states at the top of the application. "We really appreciate you using Messenger to reach your friends, and we want to make sure you know that you can keep chatting and view all your messages on http://www.facebook.com. Learn more."

"I can confirm that we are notifying people who use Facebook Messenger for Windows that it will no longer be available as of March 3," a Facebook spokesperson told TNW. The chat client was available for just under two years.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Our new UI is round and uses fanciful colors so you know we're a fun, friendly parasitic data aggregation platform. Please trust us again.

Rebrands like these are always so cynical and transparent.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to Facebook, I rarely use the website itself but due to being Co-President of my community association, I'm basically required to be on Facebook due to social media being an integral part of communications with community members. My community association also has a Facebook page that I'm an admin on.

I joined Facebook back in 2006 and made a lot of friends who I still communicate with via Facebook Messenger, many of them transitioned over to Facebook Messenger after AIM shut down as well.

Feb 1, 2018
That redesign looks fucking disgusting. So much white space and a big emphasis on annoying stories and of course ads ads ads

Also nobody really uses Facebook anymore except for your parents and assorted weirdos/boomers, it's become super unfashionable. Most millennials and gen z are firmly on Instagram as their "home" and then branch out to specialized apps like tiktok and snapchat as a secondary

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Man, putting navigation on the top is just a bad idea to be honest.

It is way more natural to have it on the bottom close to the respective iOS and Android navigation for gesture-based phones like the S10 and X.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
EDIT2: Messenger desktop app coming too.
  • Users will also now be able to chat between Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.

D5a-9ClXsAA62WU.png:large
Ugh, I have separate IG and FB accounts, this won't try to invite my contacts will it? (I don't want my coworkers to see my IG lol)

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like it, looks far more open - current interface does feel a bit dated/cluttered.

That redesign looks fucking disgusting. So much white space and a big emphasis on annoying stories and of course ads ads ads

Also nobody really uses Facebook anymore except for your parents and assorted weirdos/boomers, it's become super unfashionable. Most millennials and gen z are firmly on Instagram as their "home" and then branch out to specialized apps like tiktok and snapchat as a secondary

Facebook is still growing in terms of active users:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/30/...user-growth-revenue-increase-privacy-scandals

Fake edit: I was responding to you pre-edit, but point still stands.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Gross. Blinded by white. It reminds me of when my built house was all painted in eggshell. Is there a dark mode?