• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2017
If you have two groups of people, one group that's anti-mask and anti-vaxx going around spreading a communicable disease, and one group that's demonstrating how the former group is literally killing themselves with their beliefs, and your takeaway is the second group is the one that lacks sympathy and empathy, you should probably dig real deep on why you think that. It's a really easy test that you've failed and you should think about what led you to choosing this.

Vehemently disagreeing with anti-vaxxers and trying to counter their misinformation (which I do often) is very different from celebrating if/when they die.

I keep reading on this site how rehabilitation should be the focus over punishment in dealing with crime and how the death penalty is barbaric, but the same kind of posters feel death is an appropriate penalty for being 100% wrong about the vaccine. They are both bad, but I generally feel a murderer is worse than an anti-vaxxer, but I don't think either of them should die or feel its actually a "good" thing when they do.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier, it is the exact same story every single time.
The pictures change, the text changes a bit but in the end it is the exact same.

Also, I am not sure why this is seen as "celebrating" the death of these people.
Just because I don't have sympathy for someone doesn't mean I am happy it happened to them.
I just do not care.
If anything it shows how programmed these folks are, same wording, same posing in pictures, etc. For people that decry sheeple, they have a herd mentality

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The people that sub makes fun of did A LOT more damage by sharing lies and misinformation than the sub could ever do.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want the full orchestral Mr Bean theme to be played in service of these fallen beans.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why it exists. It's because selfish people will not take the basic, smallest, precautions that are a tiny bit inconvenient so that everyone can be safe. Their behavior is making everyone unsafe, and well, when they get sick and die, it's a bit cathartic.

I am over dealing with these garbage people. Hillary Clinton was right, they are dragging the entire world down. No sympathy left. The well of empathy dry.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory Community Generalization
Vehemently disagreeing with anti-vaxxers and trying to counter their misinformation (which I do often) is very different from celebrating if/when they die.

I keep reading on this site how rehabilitation should be the focus over punishment in dealing with crime and how the death penalty is barbaric, but the same kind of posters feel death is an appropriate penalty for being 100% wrong about the vaccine. They are both bad, but I generally feel a murderer is worse than an anti-vaxxer, but I don't think either of them should die or feel its actually a "good" thing when they do.
Generally this forum doesn't actually care about rehabilitative justice, it's just an aesthetic.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. Just not a fan of celebrating people dying for not being the brightest.

Their opinions aren't gonna change by seeing these posts just makes people posting seem like wishing death.

By all means celebrate people dying if that is your kink just makes you a cunt.
They're posting about murderers getting done in by their own stupidity. People who spread misinformation themselves that they got from primarily Fascist sources.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I'm at the stage where I just don't care about anti-vaxxers and their shit.
Their refusal to do the bare minimum is prolonging this epidemic and making things worse for everyone for absolutely no benefit.
Then they die and everyone is taking turns pissing and dancing on their graves? Good.

I'll save my sympathies for people that deserve them.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017

You shouldn't die for being anti-vaxx but being anti-vaxx results in death. You cannot rehabilitate the dead.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The prime example of the type of person highlighted by the Herman Caine award is generally a belligerent piece of shit. Being anti vaxx and hating makes is rarely the start with these folks. No need for hostile foreign influence.

I guess I feel like people can be wrong, even belligerently so, without being a piece of shit. Or garbage people. Or somehow dispensible.
But then again there are nearly 8 billion of us now, whereas there were less than half that when I was born.

So I dunno, maybe dispensible people is the wave of the future.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last 18 months, I'm pretty sure I have become radicalized, and have less sympathy for these people dying of Covid than I do for anyone else on the planet, and take great joy when they die and seeing the misery it causes their families. I can understand how someone can be racist, I can understand how someone can become a rapist, I can understand how someone can become a murderer. But for someone to continue to believe that this is all bullshit, to continue to think this won't effect them, to think that you are evil for getting vaccinated or wearing a mask- after all that we have seen? Seriously, fuck off and die. There isn't anything we can do to rehabilitate you at this point, and your death at least ensures that there is one less person like you on the planet.

My sense of empathy is completely gone for these people, and I kind of hate that i'm at this point as a person.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Please don't compare being murdered by the state to dying a (usually) preventable death from a naturally occurring virus.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

how quaint of you to equate talking about anti-vaxxers dying of a preventable disease to the State killing someone?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How is it ghoulish when they only post people who are anti vaxx, post daily memes about it and a majority of them have a hint of racisms or anti semitism in their post. None of the people on the subreddit are just hesitant theyre full blown anti vaxx.
It's both sides are the same crap. These people are all way too deep and in many cases only vivid death ends their ignorance. Ghoulish my ass. Lol

Nov 15, 2020
I did not realize how absolutely gigantic the delta variant was until I visited HCA. Like, I knew it was bad - but I'm pretty bubbled with people taking the virus and vaccines seriously. Seeing it personified in post after identical post, day in and day out gives the whole thing way much more gravity than a news article ever could.

I've started skipping over the awards and just go right to the stories of frustration or meta posts. This recent one from a funeral director really really hit home to me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCain..._work_at_a_crematory_its_real_i_cant_do_this/

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I visit this reddit every day. I've sent links to hesitant family and friends and it's worked to convince people I know.

Jun 22, 2019

This is the dumbest fucking analogy I've seen in quite some time.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017

How are those two at all related? We didn't feel death was an appropriate penalty for being wrong on vaccines, antivaxxers are willing choosing to die. Many of them say openly it's their choice to risk their lives. They are spitting directly at anyone that try's to help them even close family.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Generally this forum doesn't actually care about rehabilitative justice, it's just an aesthetic.

rehabilitative justice isn't absolution from everything you've ever said or done, and it's not blanket pardons for people that act like pieces of shit.

rehabilitative justice requires rehabilitation on the part of the perpetrator. rehabilitative justice requires the earning of forgiveness and re-entry into society. the offender and the offended come together to make things right.

all of these people have the capacity to rehabilitate themselves. some of them do, and they're recognized appropriately - the subreddit is genuinely pleased when anti-vaccination people who get sick/die (or their relatives) begin to advocate for vaccination. this is good. this is rehabilitation. this is trying to make amends for the misinformation you've spread in the past. but others don't.

how bad should you feel for someone who has the opportunity to change and chooses not to? how bad should you feel for someone who could rehabilitate, but goes to their grave shouting "fuck you, I'll never give in to you"?

you shouldn't. you are obliged by morals and decency to give everyone the chance to change (at least I personally believe so - others disagree, I'm sure). you are not obliged to love them if they choose not to.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
These are people that failed to be rehabilitated and accidently died from their own deadly actions coming back on them. It's not executing people, it's not revenge killing, it's not denying someone the chance to rehabilitate themselves, and when someone is rehabilitated it's generally considered a good thing. Rehabilitative justice isn't part of the equation one way or the other.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I go almost everyday and I unfortunately contributed a story of one of my former classmates a few weeks ago. He was only 34.

The fact that so many of them are racist, xenophobic, and homophobic also doesn't elicit much empathy from me. It's the GoFundMe grift that really pisses me off though.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Just ignore the Michelle Obama is a gorilla and god only created two genders posts. Those aren't relvent at all
Its amazing how EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEIR FACEBOOK POSTS ARE the exact same stuff, almost to a TEE.

Hmmm, why would that be *pikachuface.jpeg*

Also dont forget about how 'Fauci is actually trying to kill them all.'

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I kind of disagree with this framing. The death penalty is done by the state and in my opinion immoral. The prison industrial complex is immoral and exploitative and used to punish crime, not fix it.
Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers are dying of their own accord, and potentially killing others around them. No state, no judge, no jury is punishing them with death. Their denial of science and lack of concern for others is killing them. I don't wish for their death, but they are jumping headlong into it, and 2 years into a preventable pandemic I have lost sympathy. I don't want them to die, but I don't care if they do. Which is horrible. But I care more about the vulnerable people they are hurting at this point.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I stopped going to this subreddit maybe a week ago? As others have noted, it's all practically the same post over and over again, but if anything I think that's underselling just how absolutely monolithic and unvarying the attitudes, behavior, and even the appearance of these people are. The same memes, the same "I don't care if you're vaccinated" green ring around their profile picture, the same calls for "prayer warriors," etc.

It's stopped being cathartic or a source of schadenfreude at this point because it's just the exact same thing over and over.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to note that there has been a recent trend of vaccine hold outs posting themselves getting their vax and showing their card, saying they are taking themselves out of running for the award.

The community has a positive side too.
I stopped at this part in the OP to post this. Seems to be having a positive effect.

I remember someone posted this reddit a few weeks, maybe a month ago in some Covid thread.

Its wild, and should be eye opening to anti-vaxx ppl.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
These fucks killed their friends and family by feeding the lies for over a year. What damage is this sub doing by comparison? People are linking it to their own family members as another tool to finally get vaccinated. Because the reality of just how much you suffer, and that it can take anyone, are enough to tip it for them. A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are static. Sometimes putting a face on what it means to die of Covid in a full hospital by tired overworked nurses in a full hospital of idiots that all thought the same thing is power motivator.

While it's numbing seeing the same type of posts and the sub has grown stale, sorting by redemption story or Immunized posts are a good reminder that people can change.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
The only un-vaccinated people I have sympathy for are those who have legitimate medical reasons for it. Anyone else at this point? Fuck em, they want to die they can die. Sucks that them getting infected is fucking over those of us who did get vaxxed, though.

They deserve to die and rot in piss for all I care.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not celebrating the death of these morons but I'm not mourning it either. It's been nearly two years of this shit and we've had an actual solution for months now. A dude I went to high school with is probably gonna die in the next few weeks from COVID but he was a hardcore racist and posted anti-vax shit on social media, so it's been coming for a long time.

Like it's easy to say anti-vaxxers are victims of the GOP propaganda machine and I guess in a way that's true but good lord, at a certain point there's just no excuse. They risked the health of themselves and their loved ones for no reason and tldr, they fucked around and found out.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't count the number of threads on here that have served the same purpose. I personally don't care for it. I understand the frustration with these people that lead to this but much like the "Darwin Awards" bullshit I am not A fan of this type of shit and it here really tiresome to see in the OT.

Yeah it's one of those things I can't stand recently. Just one of those things I really don't get either. Easier to avoid a subreddit compared to ignoring every other thread.
These posts exemplify why liberalism is a failed ideology. You can't even appreciate seeing the people trying to kill you die while trying to kill you.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
At some level, I get the desire to moralize and label things like this "ghoulish" or inappropriate, but it always feels completely detached from the situation.

Namely, the collective trauma of a nearly two year pandemic during which hundreds of millions of people died. And, at least in places with easy access to vaccinesm is being artificially extended by anti-vaxxers. Not to mention the relation between the current anti-vaxx movement and the far-right, fascists and white nationalists.

Not realizing that in a powerless shitty, horrible situation people will use gallows humour like this as a coping mechanism just comes off as being tone deaf at best.
Amen.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Throwing our supposed beliefs around is not the 'gotcha' some of you think it is.

We have done everything we can to try and save their lives and still they call us idiots and sheep and ignore what we say and continue to prolong the pandemic.

They knew the consequences could be death and killing other people and still they were fine with ignoring everything. I'm not going to be sympathetic with people like that, just like they aren't sympathetic to our feelings.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
People should also really be reading r/nursing to see all the shit and PTSD our nurses are dealing with from all these Karen antivas.

It's basically a suicide cult at this point, but they're not aware of it, and will actively attack you for trying to help them.

Last edited:

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
They're posting about murderers getting done in by their own stupidity. People who spread misinformation themselves that they got from primarily Fascist sources.

Except thats not strictly true. There was an old irish man on there, clearly had been listening to the wrong people and following their advice that has either ended up dead or back in intensive care.
Literally laughing at a man who has unfortunately been convinced by others because he is a bit uneducated

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Except thats not strictly true. There was an old irish man on there, clearly had been listening to the wrong people and following their advice that has either ended up dead or back in intensive care.
Literally laughing at a man who has unfortunately been convinced by others because he is a bit uneducated
Way to take away all that man's free will and agency.

You have to ask yourself why such a person was so willing to believe those lies in the first place and the answer is seldom he was uneducated.

Oct 27, 2017

The death penalty is wrong. Criminal rehabilitation is a noble goal, but abstract and difficult at best. Anti-vaxxers are immoral garbage people that threaten humanity. I don't have any sympathy for someone dying after flaunting their anti-mask/vax status- if they die from COVID it is neutral to beneficial for society.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017

FYI , that old Irish man is Joe McCarron of Direct Democracy Ireland, an anti-vaxxer party, and ran as a candidate.

jmcarron1.jpg

Take a look at the anti-vax stuff they spew out on social media. https://twitter.com/ddi?lang=en

He wasn't just listening to them. He was an active participant.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Name one who was killed as a punishment. Not one was executed, driven to suicide, or punished in any way. They were taking actions that killed a fuck ton of people and accidentally died from those actions. It's like if someone was tossing hand grenades at crowds of people and one went off in their hand.

The only ones who I feel sorry for are those that were lied to by their personal doctor, and of course I feel sad for dependents that are now left in a horrible situation because the person they relied on got themselves killed while harming others.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
I don't really believe in free will so I do see these people as victims in a way.

That said, I also think the world is better off without 'em, especially if their stupidity serves as an incentive for others to do the right thing.

I do feel bad for the smart and vaxxed family members that stood no chance against Fox News and Facebook propaganda in trying to convince their stubborn relative.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Way to take away all that man's free will and agency.

You have to ask yourself why such a person was so willing to believe those lies in the first place and the answer is seldom he was uneducated.

Knowing people from the rural parts of N.Ireland and Ireland I would have to disagree with you there (sadly). Gullible, uneducated and essentially a victim in that scenario some of them.

Not like for like but not totally dissimilar to old people getting scammed whether it be doorstep/phone/online. Many aren't equipped for critical thought and influenced easily.

My general thought is still the same but update on that particular guy I was wrong lol :) :(
www.resetera.com

Redditors Give ‘The Herman Cain Award’ to Anti-Vaxxers Who Die of COVID

Vehemently disagreeing with anti-vaxxers and trying to counter their misinformation (which I do often) is very different from celebrating if/when they die. I keep reading on this site how rehabilitation should be the focus over punishment in dealing with crime and how the death penalty is...

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Can't wait for the next conspiracy theory where Covid is actually State-Funded Execution for all anti-vaxxers.

Status
Not open for further replies.