• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
On vive? Rift all seems pretty good except for Daryl stalking the fuck out of you.

I mean... yes it is broken, unplayable. I mean I would play it in VR without a problem. But you know, a shame.
I played on Rift and had all these problems. It plays fine "flat" once I disconnected the headset and restarted it but I couldn't make it through this in VR.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Watched Lirik play through this earlier tonight; this was CRAZY impressive.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a few differences here and there, but by the author's own admission, they brought over model and sound assets from the original game to ensure as close to the original vision as possible. Unfortunately, that also makes it even more likely that the game could be taken down.

They also wanted to recreate the opening and ending cutscenes, but found that the time required to do so would have taken too long for them. This is as far as they got before deciding to release the game without the Reedus reveal.

Still, possibly the most faithful recreation so far!

Happened to me as well, had to restart to get the picture frame to appear on the ground to properly get loop 2 to function.

I mean, the final Reedus scene is literally just a cutscene, it's not playable- why not just download the original video off you tube and attach it at the end? Can't be any worse than using the official audio, which they already do.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the final Reedus scene is literally just a cutscene, it's not playable- why not just download the original video off you tube and attach it at the end? Can't be any worse than using the official audio, which they already do.

The final scene will have an addition layer of legal issue if it also involve Reedus, as he or his manager/lawyer might find issue with this release.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting stuck right at the beginning, when you first loop and find yourself back in the original hallway. I restart and try again...nada. Bummer.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Is there controller support or only mouse/keyboard? Trying to figure out if I can stream on my shield tv.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final scene has an addition layer of legal issue since it also involve Reedus, and he or his manager/lawyer might find issue with this release.

If that was the case they would have removed Reedus completely. Which would have been a good idea because in VR the guyfollows you around after the first loop and freaks me the fuck out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this looks amazing. Downloading now, I deleted this off my ps4 just before they removed it and I've always regretted it.

From the footage I've seen this is very impressive.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I watched a clip of him and he sounds like he's gonna have a panic attack lol.
I watched 3 seconds of a clip, some radio sounds, a scream far away, he walks close to a photo.... and that is it, enough for me. fucking hell no way I will play it if I cant stand few seconds of a video.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Can't play in VR on PC unfortunately, but I just finished and goddamn it's amazing. Aside from the missing cutscenes and some slight tweaking of the final puzzle it seems to be a perfect recreation.

I'm so glad people are working to preserve this game.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Why would anyone want to play a horror game in VR? That's seems like a good recipe for a heart attack. I'm sure teh experience itself would be neat, but is it really worth the physical discomfort?

Perhaps I'm just not brave enough.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone want to play a horror game in VR? That's seems like a good recipe for a heart attack. I'm sure teh experience itself would be neat, but is it really worth the physical discomfort?

Horror VR is great when its not just cheap jumpscares because the genre lends well to going extra hard with being atmospheric and having great sound design.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried every door, and and button on my keyboard + 360 pad. If the original release was like this, then I don't know how anyone figured anything out.

It took quite a while, which is why people were so fond of the game. For example there is a jump scare if you walk out of the first room backwards, although sadly that isn't in this version.

So just stick at it and enjoy the sense of discovery. Or just read the guide that comes with the game...

After playing games like red dead redemption for 50 hours, sometimes you just want to feel something. To feel alive.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching people play it on twitch and have strong reactions to it. Man, Silent Hills coulda been something else. I hope Kojima revisits this sort of horror again after Death Stranding.

Handa

Nov 14, 2018
Has anyone who played P.T on PS4 played this through to completion yet? How faithful is it?

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Watching people play it on twitch and have strong reactions to it. Man, Silent Hills coulda been something else. I hope Kojima revisits this sort of horror again after Death Stranding.

I agree, PT was just a demo yet it was the scariest bit of gameplay I'd ever played, and I've played many horror games. Can't imagine what the full game would have been like with Kojima, Junji Ito and Del Toro involved. Really hope Kojima returns to the genre

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone who played P.T on PS4 played this through to completion yet? How faithful is it?

It's pretty faithful in terms of recreating the space and vibe, though it is missing some of the gameplay elements that even the Qimsar remake from last year had (which was also missing quite a bit itself, so to date there's been no 100% accurate P.T. clone). The opening where the player picks themselves up off the floor was cut, the double-ended cockroaches aren't present, and neither is the bloody bag. The bathroom door jumpscare closes on its own without Lisa appearing briefly. The finale with the laughing baby and Lisa scares is greatly simplified, with one exact set of steps required to follow in order to trigger the ending. Also, the Silent Hills reveal teaser at the end was removed as the dev wanted to remake it in-engine and found it too time consuming. Some of the other triggers appear to be missing as well, though I haven't done a thorough comparison enough to make a list. I'm also probably forgetting a few things, but you get the idea.

Which sounds like a lot, and it absolutely is! I'm hoping that the dev accepts some help or revisits it at a later date to add in some of the missing pieces, Konami's wrath notwithstanding. But still, it's an extremely impressive replica.

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Getting through PT on PS4 was an uncomfortable experience. To relive that in VR sounds like a nightmare. I'm going to have to pass.

Dark areas in VR really mess with my head, add in creepy atmospheric audio and I have to get the hell out.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
Tried this on the Oculus Rift but I've never played the original. It's a bit confusing on what to do but pretty cool. The rendering is really weird on the Rift though, like was mentioned before, a sort of fish eye / distorted lens effect. It sorta looks like those 360 VR pictures at times but the dark areas look really good. Don't really like all the looping though.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Had a quick go and everything looks a bit grainy, but otherwise it's a pretty damn faithful recreation in comparison to what I remember from my playtrhough of PT.

Definitely some things missing, but still very impressive overall.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
After looking back at videos of the original, I realized just how much is sadly missing from this recreation. Oh well, it's still amazing for a fanmade game. Hopefully we can get a perfect port someday... God knows Konami won't do it.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Pretty good recreation. Only things off I noticed is the modeling isn't as good (fetus, Lisa) and the jump scare with Lisa at the end doesn't have as dynamic of the camera with her face.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It never ceases to amaze me what lengths people will go to to preserve old games.

Also the fact this runs smoothly on a laptop with an MX130 is astounding. The creator of this adaptation is clearly incredibly talented.

Apr 27, 2018
https://radiusgordello.itch.io/unreal-pt/devlog/63152/announcement-update-107-changelog

Version 1.07 is out now! The author of Unreal PT will delete the game next week, so hurry up if you want it on your PC!
The following few sections detail everything that has been changed with the 1.0.7 update. Skip to the very bottom if you want to see the announcement.
I initially did not intend on making any updates to this; however, there were two gameplay bugs I did not find before release, so I figured I would fix other issues as well.

I do not plan on making any sort of further updates.
Gameplay
  • Fixed bug causing Lisa to attack too early on the eye gouge loop
  • Fixed bug causing Lisa to appear before the first baby laugh on the last loop
  • Slightly decreased time required to look at picture pieces to pick them up
  • Slightly decreased time required to look through the cracked bathroom door on the fourth loop
Performance
  • "Performance Mode" renamed to "Disable Postprocess Effects"
    • Now completely disables film grain and chromatic aberration in addition to motion blur and depth of field
    • High Quality Screen Space Reflections no longer disabled and grayed out with this option enabled
  • Planar (real-time off-screen) reflections are now disabled for windows and the bathtub water if rendering resolution is below 50%
    • This should increase performance slightly in areas close to the windows and in the bathroom
  • The noticeable framerate drop when looking through the hole in the infinite hallway is now gone
Visual
  • Fixed bug which caused some screens to be cut off on widescreen aspect ratios
  • Added texture animation when gouging the eye in the portrait
  • Updated portrait texture in main room
  • Updated shower curtain texture to be more dirty
  • Updated texture and model of round light in the cement room to be more detailed
  • Updated sink texture to have feces
  • Updated clock texture and model
  • Updated flashlight texture and model
  • Added water spouts to showerhead
  • Corrected normal map of the toilet seat
  • Added IES profile to chandelier light (basically just a light texture)
  • Added physical animation to baby (now 1.2x scarier)
  • Made baby texture slightly darker and shinier
Sound
  • Baby is now crying in the bathroom when it first cracks open
  • Lisa is now crying during her first appearance under the chandelier
  • Door now opens after baby has stopped crying on the sixth loop (as opposed to slightly before)
  • Phone now rings only after the background music has completely stopped
VR
NOTE: Although I have fixed these bugs, I still cannot test it myself, so I cannot guarantee a bug-free experience, especially on the Vive.
  • Added option at the beginning of the game to choose whether to start in VR (cannot be changed mid-game)
  • Added option at the beginning of the game to choose whether to use motion controllers (cannot be changed mid-game)
  • The left motion controller can now be used to control the flashlight
  • Pressing the left motion controller grip no longer screws up the in game head position or rotation
  • Disabled fish-eye distortion effect which caused nausea for some people
  • Fixed bug where the door wouldn't open properly
  • The player model is no longer visible
  • Movement controls no longer disabled just before the last loop
    • The game should now be fully playable all the way through
  • There is now a red dot where the player's head should be located when using position tracked headsets like the Vive
  • Flashlight now does not show up until it is picked up (or turned on)
Other
  • Baby now in the sink on the last loop
  • Updated the guide slightly for clarity
  • Fixed minor spelling error in the ending dialogue
  • Made function of cheat code at the very end more clear (Haven't seen anyone figure out how to use it yet)
Announcement
I've got school starting up again soon. With the work-load that'll give me, as well as another project I'd like to start working on, I'll have a lot of other stuff to keep me occupied. With that said, I'll be officially taking down Unreal PT next week. This has blown up far more than I expected, but now that it's finished, I would like to move on and start work on something original.
Thank you all for playing!

/QUOTE]

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Konami really are mind bogglingly stupid to let a game so blisteringly hot slip through their fingers.

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty good recreation. Only things off I noticed is the modeling isn't as good (fetus, Lisa) and the jump scare with Lisa at the end doesn't have as dynamic of the camera with her face.

Well that's a shame. Arguably that is the most distinctive and memorable moment of the entire demo. If you're going to get one thing right, it should be Lisa.
Slaving over every other detail in the entire thing as close as original to possible and then skimping out on Lisa is...an unfortunate decision. Now instead of violently murdering you in a disorienting frantic moment, she sort of forcibly hugs you while you awkwardly stare at her neck. It's much calmer.

There are a lot of things you could breeze over in this and get away with, Lisa is not one of them. With seemingly no more updates coming, that'll forever hold this recreation back.

Does she at least still rush the player with that horrible noise when you get too close later in the game?
Edit: No she doesn't. The noise happens but she just vanishes.
Edit 2: Damn it she's not even present to slam the bathroom door shut. I dont think she appears outside in the rain anymore, either.

Lisa got robbed. This may replicate the graphics and the gameplay well but it's missing some vital moments.

Last edited: