• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no point to me ever revisiting Mass Effect unless they fix the ending. I loved the entire trilogy, but that ending genuinely damaged the entirety of my experience with it and I decided back when...fuck, how old was I? Back when I was nonboomer age that I wouldn't play anymore more of any mass effect content until they fixed it. It's now 8 years later and I kept that promise, even though I heard good things about the ME3 DLC I didn't get and was kind of tempted to dip back in with Andromeda before the memes kicked in.

It's an ending so bad that it actually sustained my abstention from a franchise I otherwise love for 8 years and going and I'm gonna keep going with it until they fix it.

We don't agree on a lot but this is something we definitely agree on. The end of ME3 is so half-thought and rushed it makes the entire rest of the series fall apart under scrutiny. What was the point of putting all that work into ending the Geth War if the canon reality of the universe is that peace between organics and synthetics is impossible? Why did I bother doing ANYTHING?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The planet exploration from ME1 has been changed to be more in line with ME3 planet scanning. However there are still a few planets to land on. Do not expect Andromeda size open worlds. I would say every planet combined is about equal to EOS in terms of size and areas to explore. This game is still a very linear experience.

every-day-we-stray-further-from-god-12569582.png

Leave Mass Effect Alone!

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
  • Major graphical and game play changes. Gameplay is more in line with Andromeda fluidity but instead of the original weapon and armor systems in that game its more streamlined like ME3. However this game has the least robust gameplay of the three in the remaster.
  • The change in gameplay has also altered some of the level design and "Boss Battles". Beneziah is no longer in the room with the Rachni Queen it is instead in a more open environment both of Sarens battles have had the environments expanded to offer better options for gameplay.
Fake AF. It'd be way too much work to fundamentally change a combat system as awful as ME1 into something like 3/Andromeda since you'd need to massively alter the level design, enemy design, and encounter design to account for it. Even changing the shooting to not feel like complete garbage would radically effect balance if nothing else was changed. At that point you're pretty much just making a new game.

I'd love for this to be true, but it reads more like a fan's dream-game/wishlist than anything realistic.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
It's fun to dream but I don't believe a word of this, but damn I really wish I did.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Would be a bummer if true. I can understand that Mass Effect went a different direction with the games after 1, but I liked the original armor and weapon system a lot and wish that depth would have been in all of the games.
A: This is clearly fake, and B: ME3 has a much deeper armour and weapon system (and far more unique weapons) than ME1.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know Frostbite. I have no idea how hard an engine switch would be. I just know for a certainty that EA hates paying royalties for tech they don't own, like Ubisoft.

It's less that it would be difficult and more that completely remaking a game from a ground up in a different engine is expensive at bare minimum. It takes time, money and effort far beyond the necessity required for a remaster.

EA may hate royalties, but a task like this is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive and would not significantly increase sales enough to offset the massively higher cost.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This seems so much effort coming from EA after piss poor attempt they did with Burnout Paradise remaster.
But then C&C remaster is excellent.
But then again that seems more like a passion project of the developer themselves. I highly doubt Bioware is passionate for anything these days.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is so ridiculously fake.

Just, think logically: If you were bringing ME 1, 2 and 3 all into the same engine, making all these changes that effectively amount to a remake rather than a remaster...

Why would there be different models used at different qualities for each of the games?
Why would the gameplay be different between each of the games?

If this level of effort was going in, the whole trilogy would be homogenised.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Couldnt even get Andromeda to work in Frostbite but some how remakes 3 big games into it no problemo. DOUBT. fake as fuck.
Even if it were true and they were on Frostbite you just know it'll be a mess.
It might be fake, but Frostbite has evolved since Andromeda development started. I'm sure it's much easier to make an ME style game on it given Andromeda and likely DA4 have been developed on it and the tooling to create those types of games exists now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It might be fake, but Frostbite has evolved since Andromeda development started. I'm sure it's much easier to make an ME style game on it given Andromeda and likely DA4 have been developed on it and the tooling to create those types of games exists now.

Like even if the tools for Frostbite are better now why spend the money functionally redeveloping three whole old games into it when you could just make one new one?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
These are way bigger sweeping changes than I was expecting. Just need to see it at this point to get a good idea of how the gameplay changes will translate to the world of each of the games.

Can see it easily for 3 and maybe 1, not so much for 2.
I don't think this is true fro a few reasons but I'm laser focused on the gameplay statement pretty much.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If I had to make a comparison the game graphical looks similar to DA:I. Its not a "Next Gen" title but Mass Effect remade in the "Current Gen" Frostbite Engine. Character models look good but look even better in the ME2 and 3 versions of the Remaster.
Just picking on this one bullet point... if the visuals in this trilogy remaster are overhauled to the point of looking look a current gen title... then the visuals are being redone from the ground up. And if that's the case, there's no reason that the character models in ME1 would look worse then they do in ME2/3 because all of them should be using the same new assets. Just reads like a poorly thought out fiction.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Like, as soon as I read the "ported to Frostbite" part, my bullshit sensors just immediately went off.

That is way too much effort, time and money required especially knowing EA.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
shinobi602 already 9/10th confirmed in another thread that there will be not gameplay improvements and no change to the end. The first I can understand, even if I disagree with, but the second is the greatest missed oportunity in the history of the universe.

But it's EA. We should be hoping the remaster is not worse than the original games.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
... What was the point of putting all that work into ending the Geth War if the canon reality of the universe is that peace between organics and synthetics is impossible? Why did I bother doing ANYTHING?

There is no canon ending? Also peace between synthetics and organics is The Whole Point of two of the three endings.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
you know...for some reason, i have faith EA will treat ME a little better this time after the andromeda fiasco. I am not saying i believe this, but i do believe they will give ME a lil love this time.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Considering Bioware is supposedly all hands on deck for the Anthem rework, I highly doubt a remaster of this calibre is being made.
Er what? The OP stuff is likely bull, but the last BioWare update states that the Anthem rejig was at a prototype stage with a small team of about 30. It's likely the new Dragon Age game which would have the bulk of the developers

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Highly doubt this, but the whole ME trilogy remaster rumor is the only reason why I'm yet to play through the whole series again....

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Nah

A complete remake of three massive RPG's ? With additional content ? And remaking the dlc's too ?

Just port the original three exactly as they are, all dlc included, and maybe rework me1's combat to be like 2 and 3

that's it.
That's all you need to do

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is no canon ending? Also peace between synthetics and organics is The Whole Point of two of the three endings.

I don't consider forced, irreversible fusion between synthetics and organics into a horrifying techno-organic nightmare gestalt "peace", and "controlling" the Reapers was a temporary at best stopgap.

The whole point of the series up until 3 is that people can overcome their differences if they actually try to talk to each other. The end of ME3 invalidates that by saying that Shepard gets to decide for EVERYONE.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Like even if the tools for Frostbite are better now why spend the money functionally redeveloping three whole old games into it when you could just make one new one?
Well EA Tasked an entire team in a certain country that isn't Sweden to make Frostbite more user friendly. So maybe its happening but wont hold my breath from what I've heard.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
If it's true I'm not really interested.

Honestly I just wanted a way to get the three games plus all the DLC with maybe some cleaned up visuals.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Smells like bullshit. Upgrading visuals (especially ME1) and integrating DLCs into the main game? I can believe that. Adding some QoL features? Sure. But porting those three games into a new, completely different engine, changing gameplay and adding cut content? Nah, sounds too good and too expensive to be true.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
All I want (and expect) is 4K 60 on mid-gen consoles and all DLC integrated into the main games.

Also some kind of continuation of that Prothean orb event in 1 LOL

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Replacing the tedious side mission planets from ME1 with more detailed and specific ME2 style planets would be a good thing. The ME1 planets are the first thing I think of if ever a discussion about the worst instances of artificial game length padding arises. They. Are. Awful. Binning off that and the endless loot in favour of the ME3 model is perfect - ME3 got the levelling and combat bang on.

Then again - if this was real.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This sounds fake. Lots of random unpopular things getting attention on this list, much of it with really low payoff, and a ton of work to open up.

I don't believe they'd make this much work for themselves to give fans stuff they didn't ask for, like fewer planets in ME1. Zero chance they'd move Unreal games to Frostbite for a remaster.