• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I popped on this today to find out about Saturdays live event to watch with the bairn as saw this

Looks like it's only being trialed on /r/ForniteBR but seems to be a Twitch Sub style subscription to communities.
  • $5 per month, for badges, emojis and a highlighted username.
I get them focusing on Fortnites sub as its where peopel sub on twitch but that seems like a totally different model than community driven areas on Reddit.

What are the Special Membership fees used for?
Special Members support a unique project by Reddit to develop new features for this community.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna make money for basically no investment on their part, so it's already justified.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hereby declare that I want to be put down if I subscribe to a monthly fee just to be able to spam emojis.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta pay those bills I guess, better system than the Gold/Silver thing they have too I suppose, no idea why anyone would actually want to sub to a sub reddit, but I'm sure plenty will. I'd imagine it'll eventually lead to something like you can get items in game, as the Fortnite sub is ran by EPIC I think.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes lets just throw extra money at reddit for reasons....gg corporations.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The announcement page kind of really sucks at explaining what this even is. Most importantly, does the money go to reddit (in which case lol no), or to the actual people running the sub (in which case it at least makes a very slight bit of sense for supporting smaller subs). And also if the fee is per sub (which would be incredibly expensive), or for the whole of reddit once this rolls out to other subreddits.

Although even if it's for the whole of reddit that price is just too much. $5 for some emoji and a colored username? lol. And if it was for the entire site, then your money would be going to reddit instead of to the sub, which would also suck.

I guess they're trying to rip off Twitch, but don't most people sub to twitch channels using credit you get from the prime sub instead of paying for it? Plus the money there goes to the streamer, who you at least see and can sort of interact with. Even if the money goes to the sub, it'll be going to a bunch of faceless moderators who people probably don't care about.

And how will this even work with old reddit or with third party mobile apps? At this point it feels like they're really going to start forcing people to use the crappy new design or the even crappier official mobile app.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine giving money to reddit
Of note, the fortnite sub also implemented tips for creators, in the announcement they sponsored one of the main creators for the sub, talk about bias lmfao
Oh and btw the mods and all get 50% of the tips I think.
I hereby declare that I want to be put down if I subscribe to a monthly fee just to be able to spam emojis.
Let me tell you about twitch subs

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I read Reddit to get info from certain subreddits but certainly I have no desire to post there, much less paying a sub. But it's somewhat understandable that they try to profit from the hub-community they have created.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
smashERA gold gets you exclusive access to avatar bets and inside knowledge on the hottest leaks

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Wait hang on, you can't access the sub without paying? Cause i cant get into it.

EDIT: Forget it, got stuck on the link page lol. Anyway to milk fortnite i guess

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be cynical and say that in the long term, this is actually just a way for Reddit to keep making money off of garbage subreddits when advertisers don't want to be associated with racism, sexism, harassment and other bad behavior.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So you don't use netflix, gamepass, xbox golf, playstation plus, nintendo online, ea pass - none of these?

This reddit one seems stupid but subscriptions are great for me in a lot of instances.

Prime comes with video which I sometimes use but nah, none of the rest. Actually works out since I'm doing more outdoor activities with the family instead of a TV show/movie night

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
This seems weird, with Twitch there's kind of obviously something you are paying for - to support the streamer to produce videos. On a subreddit although there are moderators, most of the content comes from random users. Being able to give the moderators something as thanks is cool I guess but a monthly subscription seems like a bit much..

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't use netflix, gamepass, xbox golf, playstation plus, nintendo online, ea pass - none of these?

This reddit one seems stupid but subscriptions are great for me in a lot of instances.
I wouldn't consider Xbox Live Gold, PS Plus or Nintendo Switch Online as good examples of "subscriptions being great for you". Those "services" are taking a thing away from you (your console's internet connection) and selling it back to you as a subscription.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Who the fuck would pay 5 bucks per month just so he can have some badges next to his name...absolutely ridiculous tbh.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I wouldn't consider Xbox Live Gold, PS Plus or Nintendo Switch Online as good examples of "subscriptions being great for you". Those "services" are taking a thing away from you (your console's internet connection) and selling it back to you as a subscription.

Was more shocked he doesnt use them more than they are of great value. I do still have the mentality of Xbox Live being lightyears ahead of Sony when that was paid for and sony was free, so subconsciously feel it is justified for a good service, which is bs ofc.

Though what? ÂŁ40 a year for PS+ which gets me at least 10 games I'm half interested in a year is hardly an awful deal.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wake me up once they do a sub about that girls bath water.

Seriosuly what the hell? Why have a sub for everything?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's because that sub has the highest post to gild ratio on reddit. Their also the test bed for tipping money to posts. It's disgusting because the moderators get a cut of this shit, and the current mods are extremely corrupt.

Ooph, first I'd heard of this.

The amount of subs at this point is just getting a little silly. Younger audience is certainly more comfortable with it though because of Twitch.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This subscription shit is getting out of hand and will only get worse in the coming months and years....