• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great stuff, I enjoy Karaks content. I noted down some of the points that were made, hopefully I've drafted them accurately enough but I'd say to re-watch the section (if that's possible, I'm afraid I'm not up on twitch) rather than take my notes as gospel. Wait for the review! :D

Karak does say its not "perfect" there are definitely things to critique but there is a lot to enjoy in the game.

If its considered "bad form" to compile your thoughts here Karak I'm more than happy to edit them out. Thanks for the impressions. Still listening while I chill out and play some NMS :)
I'm happy to have preordered and can't wait for my copy to arrive after listening to the section again :D

[edit] you know what, since there is an easy way to re-watch the section via Scotts link below, I'll get rid of these notes. I wouldn't like to misconstrue what was said or lose the context despite trying to keep it vague.
No all this is fine. I did get full authorization from my contact at Focus Home to cover light impressions with no video and no final thoughts and such so its not super in depth. Just what I had noticed. I do steer away from a number of questions as I am very careful with these things.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No all this is fine. I did get full authorization from my contact at Focus Home to cover light impressions with no video and no final thoughts and such so its not super in depth. Just what I had noticed. I do steer away from a number of questions as I am very careful with these things.

Thanks Karak, but just in case and since there's an easy way to see exactly what you said, I'm happy to replace my notes with the link. It really is much more interesting to hear it as part of a conversation rather than just some bullet points. This way there's no misunderstandings :D

Enjoyed the stream BTW, great stuff. As an aside, since I was dealing with a stroppy baby when you mentioned it live so I couldn't respond in chat, though I'm subbed to YT for your reviews I never noticed your podcast so subbed to that now thanks to Tizocs link here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
carlsojo

How does the rifle work exactly?

Seems like the pistol is paired with a one handed weapon like in Technomancer but unsure of how the rifle is handled here. Is it like a combat ability rather than a weapon type?

I haven't unlocked rifles yet. I need to put like five points into Ranged weapons to unlock the ability to equip a rifle.(it's the same as if I wanted to unlock two handed swords or two handed blunt weapons).

Rifles and pistols are weapon types. They're limited by ammunition and rate of fire so like I don't think you could be a 100% gunslinger at least at the start. They are great in use with conjunction with your melee weapons.

It feels like the combat works best when you combine melee with other combat types (range or magic) which kind of aligns with what I've seen fr the dev videos.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to these impressions is making me consider purchasing this to support Spiders instead of a certain AAA game coming out next week, they might have a winner on their hands that is going under the radar.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Vampyr and especially A Plague Tale published by Focus, so my hype is strong with this one! Just need dat ACG review and then the game on Tuesday directly into my veins.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna play as a pistol/rapier wielding racist imperialist who slowly learns to understand and love the indigenous people and fight for their cause.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna play as a pistol/rapier wielding racist imperialist who slowly learns to understand and love the indigenous people and fight for their cause.
I hope your moment of realization comes with a "you do this thing. Just like I do. Maybe our people aren't so different"

From those who have been playing it, is it viable to do an entirely magic build if you use your party members to be the tank and damage dealers? I want to be Mr magic.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope your moment of realization comes with a "you do this thing. Just like I do. Maybe our people aren't so different"
"I was prejudiced against those savage nature-loving natives... until I realized how HOT they could be!"
original.gif

source.gif

original.gif

Screenshot-132.png

(It's never bad to be open-minded. Lol.)

people

Oct 27, 2017
From those who have been playing it, is it viable to do an entirely magic build if you use your party members to be the tank and damage dealers? I want to be Mr magic.
I've been playing Magic, but on Extreme I don't expect my party members to survive every encounter, let alone tank it. Depends on enemy and group size, but against stronger/more enemies they may bite the dust prematurely. I must admit, I don't keep their gear up to date all the time, because I'm switching companions quite often and it doesn't always seem worth it from an economic perspective.

Having said that, on Normal or maybe Hard this may be more feasible, especially when keeping their equipment updated/upgraded. I guess some party compositions might work better for this as well ('tank' + 'healer'), but that's not always possible/allowed. Trying to keep battles short by reducing enemy numbers asap, or ganking the more problematic ones is my preferred 'strategy'. Magic is pretty powerful by itself, considering it ignores armour and offers (crowd)control. Some enemies have a lot of armor, not sure if that is different on Extreme vs Normal. Magic also works okay for reducing/removing enemy armour with upgraded Stasis. Companions will basically ignore an enemy in Stasis for the duration or find another target if any.

EDIT: unrelated bonus screenshot (cropped): T-Bird
greedfall_20190907100w9juj.jpg

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just learned that the game is already available for pre-load on Steam.

RK2SfH8.png

It's only a 20GB download though, so I guess it's useless for fast internet users.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Doesn't sound like we're getting review code on this one. Disappointed because I've loved their stuff in the past and their old PR agency was awesome to deal with. I'll grab a copy but by the time I get through it there'll be no point putting up a review.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Glad there's a way to reset all attributes, skill points and talents. I like to experiment.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite 'enemy', just critters/animals that you can kill/hunt. This particular one is actually a 'glitched corpse' in T-pose that I came across after revisiting the area days later.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Doesn't sound like we're getting review code on this one. Disappointed because I've loved their stuff in the past and their old PR agency was awesome to deal with. I'll grab a copy but by the time I get through it there'll be no point putting up a review.
Same here. I remember 10+ years ago studios would have a limited number of physical discs and used that excuse to disregard review copy inquiries, which kinda made sense as shipping+discs had a real cost. Note that it was nonetheless frustrating. But now with codes, I find it borderline disrespectful when you ask and don't even get an answer. I get it, I'm not an influencer. Still, what we do is hard work and for as long as I can remember we always had to fight for review copies, apart from a handful of studios. It's even more strange to me as with GreedFall, they NEED the exposure. It's not NHL 20 or Borderlands 3, it's almost sent to die in September with how crowded the month is with releases.

I won't beg either. I just came to the conclusion a long time ago that most studios only care about the big boys. The only thing that changed recently is the advent of influencers.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Same here. I remember 10+ years ago studios would have a limited number of physical discs and used that excuse to disregard review copy inquiries, which kinda made sense as shipping+discs had a real cost. Note that it was nonetheless frustrating. But now with codes, I find it borderline disrespectful when you ask and don't even get an answer. I get it, I'm not an influencer. Still, what we do is hard work and for as long as I can remember we always had to fight for review copies, apart from a handful of studios. It's even more strange to me as with GreedFall, they NEED the exposure. It's not NHL 20 or Borderlands 3, it's almost sent to die in September with how crowded the month is with releases.

I won't beg either. I just came to the conclusion a long time ago that most studios only care about the big boys. The only thing that changed recently is the advent of influencers.

You sound entitled to something free

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

The game costs 40 bucks.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing the review copy. The combat is quite good so far, only thing I don't like is that dodge cannot be changed in key bindings. It's SHIFT by default which is quite uncomfortable :(

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't want to derail so I'll make it quick, but I don't think reviewers are entitled to review copies as much as they're just trying to do their job. As noted, the game is rather cheap so I'll just buy it, the problem stems from when you're able to post your review.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Did you request one from the sandbox or wherever they're doing press codes?

Try dropping a DM to ChaosSmurf.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to review code I was so happy to have some PR people come on the podcast in the last years and really open my eyes to how it all works and why you may not get any answer, why you may get one then not and so forth. Now I don't even stress it. I get ignored all the time. Such is life.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019

Yeah not even getting a reply is very frustrating. I also find it frustrating when someone tells you that they don't have any more keys available and then you find out they did and just told you a lie.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

It's more about being able to do the review in a timely matter, so it'll actually benefit the site as much as it benefits the publisher.

I don't want to derail so I'll make it quick, but I don't think reviewers are entitled to review copies as much as they're just trying to do their job. As noted, the game is rather cheap so I'll just buy it, the problem stems from when you're able to post your review.

Exactly. I'll buy it, but I probably won't review it as putting up a review days later does nothing for the site.

Did you request one from the sandbox or wherever they're doing press codes?

Try dropping a DM to ChaosSmurf.

Yeah, I think Sandbox values influencers over newspapers/radio so I'm out in the cold on these. I deal with their old PR company and have zero issues getting review copy...same for MS, Sony, even Nintendo - and Nintendo is STINGY compared to the rest. Like I said it's not going to stop me from playing the game, but it'll make a review largely pointless.

When it comes to review code I was so happy to have some PR people come on the podcast in the last years and really open my eyes to how it all works and why you may not get any answer, why you may get one then not and so forth. Now I don't even stress it. I get ignored all the time. Such is life.

For me it's really just annoying when PR is happy to include your platforms in everything pre-release. You talk about every release they send out, you generate original content based on videos they show...but when review code comes around it's a black hole. On one hand we were able to generate interest based on that earlier content so it's not like it's a 'you owe us' scenario, but on the other...the review generates way more traffic, why exclude us in favour of sites/influencers that clearly don't care until release and only then for the first day or two?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's really just annoying when PR is happy to include your platforms in everything pre-release. You talk about every release they send out, you generate original content based on videos they show...but when review code comes around it's a black hole. On one hand we were able to generate interest based on that earlier content so it's not like it's a 'you owe us' scenario, but on the other...the review generates way more traffic, why exclude us in favour of sites/influencers that clearly don't care until release and only then for the first day or two?
It can be frustrating for sure.

But a number of people get access to stuff prior and then not day off but ALSO not prior and then get review code. Some get both but not all. I have got code day and date, early and prior to even IGN once or twice, streaming codes, early code or no code. Also the number of VERY small channels that gets codes makes me incredibly happy. I even did a video on it a number of times including Horizon Zero Dawn. I would die to see more of that.

Also the assumption that I am being excluded in favor of someone else never really occurs to me that often. I am not in whatever spot you are in though so I don't know if we are talking about the same thing But to me it just is I got one or I didn't. The factors behind it are so varied and so huge. Also as i said in my HZD review code video. Some companies may not fit with you. I know Sony isn't in love with the way I do things, I know Nintendo isn't as well. They may offer preview event invites that are controlled and even preview codes at times, but review code is harder to come by. I don't fit the persona they want delivering data about some games from them and I get it.

I also can't tell if someone CLEARLY does or doesn't care. What if they tried and didn't get code until review code but I got preview code? I could think they didn't care. I could also assume they had nothing to say or very little because they had no access prior but then got it for review.

As for the NOT answering stuff I wish that got fixed with a number of companies. I have it with big companies all the time. However knowing what some of those folks go through 200-500 sites to check and verify their content, track them, and all that is pretty insane. Its imperfect for sure.

Last edited:

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It can be frustrating for sure.

But a number of people get access to stuff prior and then not day off but ALSO not prior and then get review code. Some get both but not all. I have got code day and date, early and prior to even IGN once or twice, streaming codes, early code or no code. Also the number of VERY small channels that gets codes makes me incredibly happy. I even did a video on it a number of times including Horizon Zero Dawn. I would die to see more of that.

Also the assumption that I am being excluded in favor of someone else never really occurs to me that often. I am not in whatever spot you are in though so I don't know if we are talking about the same thing But to me it just is I got one or I didn't. The factors behind it are so varied and so huge. Also as i said in my HZD review code video. Some companies may not fit with you. I know Sony isn't in love with the way I do things, I know Nintendo isn't as well. They may offer preview event invites that are controlled and even preview codes at times, but review code is harder to come by. I don't fit the persona they want delivering data about some games from them and I get it.

I also can't tell if someone CLEARLY does or doesn't care. What if they tried and didn't get code until review code but I got preview code? I could think they didn't care. I could also assume they had nothing to say or very little because they had no access prior but then got it for review.

As for the NOT answering stuff I wish that got fixed with a number of companies. I have it with big companies all the time. However knowing what some of those folks go through 200-500 sites to check and verify their content, track them, and all that is pretty insane. Its imperfect for sure.
MS/Ubisoft/Sony/Nintendo and literally everyone else's PR works with us no problem but Sandbox doesn't. I don't know what they value differently but it's maddening as FHI worked with Evolve for pretty much every past title and we had no issues with them, we just can't get code from Sandbox.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS/Ubisoft/Sony/Nintendo and literally everyone else's PR works with us no problem but Sandbox doesn't. I don't know what they value differently but it's maddening as FHI worked with Evolve for pretty much every past title and we had no issues with them, we just can't get code from Sandbox.
Ya mine has been completely random with all companies since day one. Some no answer some answer then next game don't then do.
The only thing I count on now is nothing lol. I always assume no code.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Evolve really is one of the best PR's I've dealt with. I just like how their whole system is set up. I'm having the same issues with Sandbox as you I'm afraid.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Are Sandbox handling all review codes distribution worldwide? Probably explains why our usual PR contact (Australia) doesn't know what's up.

Jun 14, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Cross-forum self promotion, previously told not to do this.
i made an ot for the game

Mod Edit: Link removed, cross-forum self promotion.

unsure if its been claimed here already or id do it here aswell

Last edited by a moderator: