• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Did all the available side quests in the tutorial area (I think there were four total, one for each faction). They're all interesting in that none of them were fetch quests. Each of the side quests had at least two or three ways to complete and two or three "outcomes". I was able to use stealth to solve one, a disguise for another, charisma for another, etc.

Side quest rewards in the tutorial area were gold, exp, and faction rep. There have been plenty of chests and stuff to find when exploring, several of which were in need of picking.

I also got a crystal to reset my talents/attributes/etc. at the end of the tutorial so I can respec. No idea how common they are but I'm so happy that they don't hard lock you into something you might regret later. I'm the kind of player who would completely restart the game if I wasn't happy with my character a few hours into an RPG.

I *love* the aesthetic of the game with the pistols and cutlasses.
Excellent! Thank you for your reply ;)

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Got this pre-order already, too bad i can only get in deep after coming back from vacation.

Keep the impressions coming, if this turns out to be good (which so far seems to be) this need to get a lot more attencion, i myself only learned about it this last week.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
carlsojo

How does the rifle work exactly?

Seems like the pistol is paired with a one handed weapon like in Technomancer but unsure of how the rifle is handled here. Is it like a combat ability rather than a weapon type?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been feeling this game a lot after watching Carnival Row haha, it's almost like Spider released to match that shows release date with it's similar look and plot.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played and completed Technomamcer..
and yes, theres eurojank, yes the voice acting and story sometimes wasn't AAA levels of greatness. But.. I liked it alot, I loved it in fact. I got to the end and I was quite impressed with the final acts in the game.
I played and completed Elex as well (made by different devs, but still a AA RPG like Technomamcer), and found that had many shortcomings and was far from great, Technomamcer had a lot more depth to its story, world and characters than Elex did. So I think thIs game will have a lot more depth, story and compelling characters than what they've shown, so to write this out as just another AA RPG would be a disservice.
Will definitely play this.. the Big decision though... worth full price or not?

Oct 25, 2017
the Big decision though... worth full price or not?

For myself personally, I'm happy to pay the fifty bucks for the game mainly because I desperately want more of this type of game to be made. Single player, story/character driven RPGs, with some sort of choice/consequence system always feel like they're at something of a premium, and with Bioware seeming to have lost the plot, I can only hope some of the smaller studios decide to try and pick up their slack.

I've always admired Spiders (even though their games can be occasionally frustrating) for being a relatively tiny studio with a relatively tiny budget, and still shooting for the moon with very ambitious projects. Early impressions seem to suggest that their ability might finally be catching up with their ambition with Greedfall, and I'm all too glad to support them.

edit: and Best Buy gave me a ten dollar gift card, so I guess I really only paid 40 bucks.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
For myself personally, I'm happy to pay the fifty bucks for the game mainly because I desperately want more of this type of game to be made. Single player, story/character driven RPGs, with some sort of choice/consequence system always feel like they're at something of a premium, and with Bioware seeming to have lost the plot, I can only hope some of the smaller studios decide to try and pick up their slack.

I've always admired Spiders (even though their games can be occasionally frustrating) for being a relatively tiny studio with a relatively tiny budget, and still shooting for the moon with very ambitious projects. Early impressions seem to suggest that their ability might finally be catching up with their ambition with Greedfall, and I'm all too glad to support them.

edit: and Best Buy gave me a ten dollar gift card, so I guess I really only paid 40 bucks.

Yeah I'm paying 44 Euros and it sounds fair to me.

It really seems like Spiders finally did a big jump, so I'm rewarding them.

No impressions from further into the game?

Asking the real questions here...

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When you put it that way, yeah I agree.
I abhor GaaS... and it's the way *even* our beloved Rpg's are going these days. I want a new Mass Effect, I want a great Dragon Age 4, but with how things are going in at Bioware..
Spiders deserves credit and it's due, they've upped their game and it's going the traditional way we hold dear.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Have a PC review copy. Performance is kind of stuttery in the initial city area (framerate overall ranges from 80-100 FPS in that area on max settings with a GTX1080), but might be my drivers are outdated and there's definitely jank which I understand considering the budget. For example some of the dialogue doesn't quite match characters face animations or you get stuck at odd areas.

Really enjoying the game though so far. The characters are great and some of the cutscenes are easily AAA worthy. Also some fantastic looking areas and landscapes.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Think i'm going to pre-order this now. I love the concept and really feel I should support developers when they try to make these type of single player games. After all they are a dying breed...

The question is... X or Pro?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Think i'm going to pre-order this now. I love the concept and really feel I should support developers when they try to make these type of single player games. After all they are a dying breed...

The question is... X or Pro?

I had the exact same thoughts, I don't mind support a couple of things a year "unseen" as it were.

In the end I went X, no idea which is better but I do like my Xbone controller.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Special delivery!

Hope everyone's still excited for the game. I picked up an insane amount of work this week so haven't managed to check the various threads as often, but always wanted to be the first to post at trailer as good as this.

Four days!

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Great trailer, looking forward to seeing how the reviews turn out as I'm pretty tempted

Will either be getting on PS4 base or PC, prefer to play third person games like this on a console, but will be waiting to see what the performance is like on either

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Special delivery!

Hope everyone's still excited for the game. I picked up an insane amount of work this week so haven't managed to check the various threads as often, but always wanted to be the first to post at trailer as good as this.

Four days!

Oh yes! I can't wait. This will be the first game I play on my new GPU!

people

Oct 27, 2017
Arrived in second town, exploring and looking for quests, encountered 3rd companion. There are loots of crates/chests here.

Come across some bug/glitch related to stealth/kills: After switching 'diguise' to walk into restricted/controlled area, checking out guard pattern, switched back to non-faction gear and stealth-killed 3 guards (1 patrolling, 2 stationary). After switching back to faction disguise, all 3 guards re-appeared standing upright, but they aren't actually there, just non-interactive mannequins. Not a huge issue, but potentially confusing and probably not intended. I went to check the gamecapture, but there was none due to HDR, I guess.

EDIT: "Corpse glitch" again: Follow a guy, fight him and 3 others, next objective: get more information from him, but he just stands there. Reloading the save starts in combat with just him again. Not sure if that's how that quest is supposed to progress, i.e. fight him twice, but at least it lets me continue to next stage.

My biggest issue so far is the equipment screen, going from left side (weapons) to right side (gear) is an adventure in itself, because using d-pad left/right will also cycle to companions. Keep pressing left/right d-pad and eventually you'll end up where you'd like to go. So unless there is something I'm missing, this is a pretty annoying way to navigate the UI.

Loading times are not too bad: ~20 seconds (from pressing button) to controlling character again. This is on PS4 Pro (with SDD, not sure if that would matter)

Some unimportant info: 1 hour in-game time = 1m40s or 100s, 24h/1day in-game = 40min.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Juuuuuuuuuuust to be clear, review codes haven't gone out yet (I personally wrote the email we'll be sending with them about two hours ago) and we didn't even send them to distributors yet either. It's amazing to hear people are enjoying the game, but anybody who is already playing hasn't got it from us and it isn't yet on the review build as far as I know. So basically: it should be (minorly) even better than it is now for reviewers, another patch after that before launch, and if you're an influencer or journalist who doesn't have a key yet, neither does anyone else officially - they'll be coming soon(tm).

Embargo will be launch day at 00:01 CEST. Streams and video impressions will be a few hours before.

Also re: file size, we're just good at compression ;D
This is a minor thing and the game looks really appealing to me and I'll be probably picking it up on release, but from the long 13 odd minute gameplay video I saw, an old build mind and this may be something you've been getting feedback on anyway, that during movement the cloak seemed really jarring in framerate/animation it was distracting somewhat... Would this have been addressed in a patch do you know? Cheers.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Special delivery!

Four days!

A truly "special" delivery would be my copy arriving before we leave for holiday tomorrow night. See to it ChaosSmurf, there's a sweetie :)

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
This is a minor thing and the game looks really appealing to me and I'll be probably picking it up on release, but from the long 13 odd minute gameplay video I saw, an old build mind and this may be something you've been getting feedback on anyway, that during movement the cloak seemed really jarring in framerate/animation it was distracting somewhat... Would this have been addressed in a patch do you know? Cheers.
Just answered this over in the launch trailer thread - no specifics yet but I know the team are looking into it. Unfortunately no further info at this time.

A truly "special" delivery would be my copy arriving before we leave for holiday tomorrow night. See to it ChaosSmurf, there's a sweetie :)
Unfortunately your [local postal service] has put you in [post jail] for [game crimes] and I can't assist.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just answered this over in the launch trailer thread - no specifics yet but I know the team are looking into it. Unfortunately no further info at this time.

Unfortunately your [local postal service] has put you in [post jail] for [game crimes] and I can't assist.
Thanks for the reply, noticed a few mentions in the thread after posting, great trailer BTW.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Have a PC review copy. Performance is kind of stuttery in the initial city area (framerate overall ranges from 80-100 FPS in that area on max settings with a GTX1080), but might be my drivers are outdated and there's definitely jank which I understand considering the budget. For example some of the dialogue doesn't quite match characters face animations or you get stuck at odd areas.

Really enjoying the game though so far. The characters are great and some of the cutscenes are easily AAA worthy. Also some fantastic looking areas and landscapes.
Good to hear that the game is not taxing on PC, but the stuttering issue is concerning. Hopefully they can iron them out at launch.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Good to hear that the game is not taxing on PC, but the stuttering issue is concerning. Hopefully they can iron them out at launch.

I think its something to do with it streaming the textures. I did have a weird bug where the textures on the floor for the whole city decided to go missing but I got rid of the bug by reloading my save.

Also there is an FOV slider for those wondering.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Arrived in second town, exploring and looking for quests, encountered 3rd companion. There are loots of crates/chests here.

Come across some bug/glitch related to stealth/kills: After switching 'diguise' to walk into restricted/controlled area, checking out guard pattern, switched back to non-faction gear and stealth-killed 3 guards (1 patrolling, 2 stationary). After switching back to faction disguise, all 3 guards re-appeared standing upright, but they aren't actually there, just non-interactive mannequins. Not a huge issue, but potentially confusing and probably not intended. I went to check the gamecapture, but there was none due to HDR, I guess.

EDIT: "Corpse glitch" again: Follow a guy, fight him and 3 others, next objective: get more information from him, but he just stands there. Reloading the save starts in combat with just him again. Not sure if that's how that quest is supposed to progress, i.e. fight him twice, but at least it lets me continue to next stage.

My biggest issue so far is the equipment screen, going from left side (weapons) to right side (gear) is an adventure in itself, because using d-pad left/right will also cycle to companions. Keep pressing left/right d-pad and eventually you'll end up where you'd like to go. So unless there is something I'm missing, this is a pretty annoying way to navigate the UI.

Loading times are not too bad: ~20 seconds (from pressing button) to controlling character again. This is on PS4 Pro (with SDD, not sure if that would matter)

Some unimportant info: 1 hour in-game time = 1m40s or 100s, 24h/1day in-game = 40min.

By any chance can you comment on resolution/HDR? Two very important factors for me to choose between PC/Console.

Any word on how good the HDR implementation is for this? Debating between pc and console.

Same, tag me if you find something.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
ACG's gonna talk about his impressions of GreedFall in a few minutes (not sure since he's streaming, discussing Man of Medan first).
He got permission from contact Focus Home Interactive. There won't be video yet though.

Talking about GreedFall now (2:28PM Eastern USA)

Last edited:

Typicalrik

Oct 28, 2017
ACG just sold me on the game. Tbh...I was already hyped, but everything he said just confirmed my hype. Will be preordering this game right now.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
ACG's gonna talk about his impressions of GreedFall in a few minutes (not sure since he's streaming, discussing Man of Medan first).
He got permission from contact Focus Home Interactive. There won't be video yet though.

Time stamp for the greedfall impressions please?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
My copy will probably arrive tomorrow and wow, I can't wait. Listened to some of the soundtracks and they're so great.
One thing I'm still uncertain about, is the exploration. Are there little secrets to find or is it more similar to Assassin's Creed and Witcher where most, or even all interesting stuff, is marked on the map already?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Great stuff, I enjoy Karaks content. I noted down some of the points that were made, hopefully I've drafted them accurately enough but I'd say to re-watch the section (if that's possible, I'm afraid I'm not up on twitch) rather than take my notes as gospel. Wait for the review! :D

Karak does say its not "perfect" there are definitely things to critique but there is a lot to enjoy in the game.

If its considered "bad form" to compile your thoughts here Karak I'm more than happy to edit them out. Thanks for the impressions. Still listening while I chill out and play some NMS :)
I'm happy to have preordered and can't wait for my copy to arrive after listening to the section again :D

[edit] you know what, since there is an easy way to re-watch the section via Scotts link below, I'll get rid of these notes. I wouldn't like to misconstrue what was said or lose the context despite trying to keep it vague.

I just scrubbed the archive and I believe this link should get you right there. About to listen to it myself.

Last edited: