• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This looks really interesti--

my biggest enjoyment, the tactical pause. this is implemented very similarly to dragon age inquisitions tactical pause, and will pause in the middle of combat and you can navigate small menus to access your magic spells, potions, techniques, and review the controls. this helps immensely in combat as this is not an easy game. On normal it is a challenge so the tactical pause is useful and cool to see used in a game like this.

Nooooo :(

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You dont have to use it.
Hmm but if the game is built around it, and the game is too clunky/difficult without it... I dunno. :\ For example Fallout 3/NV is borderline unplayable without VATS, and I hated that. I still played them because the rest was solid, but I hate real-time-with-pause even more in 3rd person.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? Maybe if you installed Witcher 3 with all 8 (or what the number is) fully VA packs, I have Witcher 3 installed right now, GOTY edition with all patches and DLCs and expansions and with English and Polish VA and it has 45 GB - 5 GB of that are mods - so game has in my case right now around 40 GB
So I was wrong about the size at release, it was 35 GB - people were surprised that it was only that small - but yeah, Greedfall is even smaller game compared to Witcher 3 in all things when it comes to technical side so that's not a big suprise atleast in my opinion, that the size of Greedfall is as small as it is right now.. and who knows how compressed the game files are
And as I said, Kingdom Come Deliverence needed only 30 GB at release.. Far Cry Primal was 17-18 GB in size

I guess I'm assuming PS4 and PC file sizes would be the same as well which I don't even know if that is true.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
I didn't hear about this game until a month or two ago. Everything looks so good! I'll pick this up within a month or two of release for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm but if the game is built around it, and the game is too clunky/difficult without it... I dunno. :\ For example Fallout 3/NV is borderline unplayable without VATS, and I hated that. I still played them because the rest was solid, but I hate real-time-with-pause even more in 3rd person.

We'll see. I completed Dragon Age Inquisition on Nightmare without ever using the tactical pause. I agree that playing Fallout without V.A.T.S. sounds like a nightmare though. :)

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Juuuuuuuuuuust to be clear, review codes haven't gone out yet (I personally wrote the email we'll be sending with them about two hours ago) and we didn't even send them to distributors yet either. It's amazing to hear people are enjoying the game, but anybody who is already playing hasn't got it from us and it isn't yet on the review build as far as I know. So basically: it should be (minorly) even better than it is now for reviewers, another patch after that before launch, and if you're an influencer or journalist who doesn't have a key yet, neither does anyone else officially - they'll be coming soon(tm).

Excellent. When do the reviews drop anyway?

Embargo will be launch day at 00:01 CEST. Streams and video impressions will be a few hours before.

Also re: file size, we're just good at compression ;D

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat DQ:I on hard without ever using that system.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I'll post this here as well. I ordered on Best Buy with my gamers club for the traditional 20% off. I also got an email for a $10 gift card that i'll receive upon shipment of the game. Between this game, Gears 5, and the Switch Lite [Nino Kuni, Zelda: Links Awakening, etc] later on in September I'll be gaming busy for a while.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry the pausing from Bioware titles is one of my favorite things. I can manage time more effectively and not get absolutely swarmed by enemies. Particularly switch an action immediately when available if someone is close to dying.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So Tactical Pause aside, is this game's combat real time hit a button -> swing your sword? Or is it hotbar managing click on enemies and watch your character attack combat? Basically is it Mass Effect/Fallout 3 style or Dragon Age style?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Tactical Pause aside, is this game's combat real time hit a button -> swing your sword? Or is it hotbar managing click on enemies and watch your character attack combat? Basically is it Mass Effect/Fallout 3 style or Dragon Age style?
Looks similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition. No hotbar as far as I can tell.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
This could be a real sleeper hit, but that name is so bad it must actively hurt the game. I know it's kept me from paying attention.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear good things, I've been back and forth about pre-ordering this. If I didn't have so many other games piquing my interest in the coming months I'd be all over this (good problem to have!).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What specifically don't you like about it? The pause, or the menus?

It's just one level of menus, so it's not like there's any complexity to it. There's also some sort of hotkey system, though I don't know if it will be as extensive as KBM controls hopefully are. The gameplay walkthroughs are full of real-time combat with little use of pausing, so it seems to be really situational.

Also, Technomancer had the same thing (just a radial menu instead of pull-downs), and nobody even knows it existed because they all act like this functionality is new.

Embargo will be launch day at 00:01 CEST. Streams and video impressions will be a few hours before.

Do you know the Steam unlock times (is it going to be the standard 9AM PST, or are you going to run it on France time)?

Also, it'd be good to finally figure out some system reqs. ;)

So Tactical Pause aside, is this game's combat real time hit a button -> swing your sword?
Yes. There is no auto-attack.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread i didn't know about this game until now and i wil wait for more impressions and the reviews

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Spiders seems to get better with each game is exciting. I hope this is a hit, it looks great. I'd like to see big budget Spiders sometime after they've really honed it in.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Juuuuuuuuuuust to be clear, review codes haven't gone out yet (I personally wrote the email we'll be sending with them about two hours ago) and we didn't even send them to distributors yet either. It's amazing to hear people are enjoying the game, but anybody who is already playing hasn't got it from us and it isn't yet on the review build as far as I know. So basically: it should be (minorly) even better than it is now for reviewers, another patch after that before launch, and if you're an influencer or journalist who doesn't have a key yet, neither does anyone else officially - they'll be coming soon(tm).

Man so happy you guys been super open about this game. Pre-ordered it anyway because it just looks like what I want.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Focus uses two unlock times: midnight CET for higher-profile releases (e.g. A Plague Tale and Vampyr) and 6pm CET for everything else. Historically, Spiders games have fallen into the latter category.
I should have been clearer. I was really asking if they were going to unlock it early, since the embargo is up at midnight CET, or if they were just going to release it at the standard time (6PM CET is 9AM PST).

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I hope this game turns out good. It checks off all the boxes that gets me excited for a game.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Impressions sound great. I've never played a game from this studio, but the comparisons to classic Bioware has got me really excited. Now I have to see if I can find the time to invest in a long RPG.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Very, very curious to see how this lands. Also curious to see Waypoint's view on it. The type of game would seem to appeal to a lot of them there. The colonialism vibes, if not handled right, may not.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017

Awesome you post here and cheers for the update. Greedfall is of my most anticipated games to review/binge play this year. I loved reviewing Technomancer and Bound by Flame back in the day.

Can't wait to see how the combat (melee) and the companions shape up for myself. Siora and Vasco look interesting.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to check this out but wow classic has devoured me and FF8 remaster drops next week. I think I'll play in a month or two. Will be patched and in a better place and I should be about ready for it. Sounds like Spiders has gotten their shit together!