• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I'm fully expecting there to be another spike in ETH and for this sustained price drop to level off into a new normal of 50% above RRP.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Perfect I just bought a GPU 3 weeks ago…

At least I sold my old RX 570 for a stupid high price.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
2 weeks ago 3080ti was around 2000-2200 dollars on ebay, now I can easily find it for 1800. Gonna wait until the end of the month maybe it'll drop even more what do you guys think

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully expecting there to be another spike in ETH and for this sustained price drop to level off into a new normal of 50% above RRP.
There won't be any spikes anytime soon. I expect it to fall significantly from where it is currently over the next several months.
And ETH pricing effect on GPUs are lowering with each day passing between now and ETH2 merge. Current ETH mining commisions aren't low (in fact they were higher only in May) but even with them it's impossible to manage to break even with current GPU prices until the switch to POS.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I purchased a 3070 for $680 a couple weeks ago but cancelled because that was far far more than I'd ever spent on a card before. I'm settled on a $500 3070 founders or bust mentality at this point. Even if sub $700 is a good deal, I just wasn't willing to pay that much. But I have the benefit of a good card and backups just in case.

Yeah. I won a zotac 3070 in a Newegg shuffle for $900. I ended up just buying it for my friend who is paying me back and giving me a 1660ti. There's no way I'm paying that much at retail for a 3070.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be any spikes anytime soon. I expect it to fall significantly from where it is currently over the next several months.
And ETH pricing effect on GPUs are lowering with each day passing between now and ETH2 merge. Current ETH mining commisions aren't low (in fact they were higher only in May) but even with them it's impossible to manage to break even with current GPU prices until the switch to POS.

There are non-ETH coins that currently offer about 80% of the profitability of mining ETH using GPUs.

The real question is what happens to that market when ETH goes POS and there is a large influx of mining power, which creates a lot of uncertainty.

May 15, 2019
Hard disagree, it will probably recover and reach another ATH between the end of the year and end of 2022. Should stay pretty range bound (or $1400+) until then. Shouldn't crash and burn much further.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There are non-ETH coins that currently offer about 80% of the profitability of mining ETH using GPUs.

The real question is what happens to that market when ETH goes POS and there is a large influx of mining power, which creates a lot of uncertainty.
It's not a question. If all current ETH hashrate will go into GPU mineable alts their profitability will fall 10 to 100X driving it below where ETH was a year ago.
People are dumping rigs and withholding from buying new GPUs for a reason.

Hard disagree, it will probably recover and reach another ATH between the end of the year and end of 2022.
It may spike again once the merge will be over as this will mean the end of uncertainty period.
Then it may not, depending on how world economy will be doing in post-covid times.
And in either case it won't mean anything for GPUs since ETH won't be GPU mineable after Dec'21.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yeah. I won a zotac 3070 in a Newegg shuffle for $900. I ended up just buying it for my friend who is paying me back and giving me a 1660ti. There's no way I'm paying that much at retail for a 3070.
$900??? That's just under half the cost of the prebuild I just bought that has a 3070 and a Ryzen 7 5800x in it. Thank god I'm starting fresh right now. Getting GPUs independently is such a god damn nightmare.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It is a good idea to not buy atm and wait. But I don't think it hurts to keep an eye out for deals, there are people that has started to sell their GPUs before a "crash". All in all, it's still a very uncertain period, GPUs may still drop for a good while, but there's always the chance they go up again and so on, and so on. So if you find something that suits you, it's not a bad idea to pull the trigger and just be happy with a GPU

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
Holding until the next generation of cards seems the most sensible thing to do for me. 1080ti still going strong and Nvidia will most likely be forced to price sensibly following the lowered demand right?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Prices need to keep falling a considerable amount.

I'm hoping the market gets flooded with used GPUs, which I'd really hope people would refuse to buy given how those cards were used nonstop for mining. Let the miners get stuck with them.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, I just checked and you are right...I think I'm going to try and wait for a 3080 one to show up...How did I not already know about Newegg Shuffle?

Holding until the next generation of cards seems the most sensible thing to do for me. 1080ti still going strong and Nvidia will most likely be forced to price sensibly following the lowered demand right?
LOL

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL no. Nvidia responded to the last cryptoboom by hiking prices across the range with the infamous RTX 2000 series. No reason to assume they'll do the opposite this time.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Best case scenario is that prices go back to normal and the tariff is removed.

I feel bad for the mainstream market that typically buys GPU's priced under $300 (or even $200). It basically doesn't exist right now. A year or so ago you could get and RX 580 or 570 for under $200. A 1660 super for $230. An RTX 2060 for under $300. Who knows if we'll ever get back to that sort of value again.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You will be holding till 1H23 most probably. A lot will happen between now and then. It's absolutely impossible to say how the next generation will look like right now. It's more possible that we'll get an Ampere refresh (aka "Super") before that.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
LOL no. Nvidia responded to the last cryptoboom by hiking prices across the range with the infamous RTX 2000 series. No reason to assume they'll do the opposite this time.
But what if it isn't booming in a year's time? I'd be happy enough buying the 3080 equivalent at the MSRP of the 3080 at launch. I'm not asking for the older standard pricing.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nvidia tried to push the msrp of the 4070 to $600, meaning only one barely produced FE card will sell for that price. The true average price will be $700+.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
$900??? That's just under half the cost of the prebuild I just bought that has a 3070 and a Ryzen 7 5800x in it. Thank god I'm starting fresh right now. Getting GPUs independently is such a god damn nightmare.

Yeah. It was originally 700 but tariffs pushed it higher. My friend has money to spare right now and just wants to build so he asked me to grab it. I won't justify something that expensive unless it was a 3080.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You will be holding till 1H23 most probably. A lot will happen between now and then. It's absolutely impossible to say how the next generation will look like right now. It's more possible that we'll get an Ampere refresh (aka "Super") before that.

The super cards were pretty decent overall. Could end up with a situation where the original 30xx series of cards are just wiped out by a combination of miners, scalpers and covid demand, while the 30xx super cards finally get into the hands of gamers.

It pains me to see years of PC gaming flushed down the drain.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nvidia tried to push the msrp of the 4070 to $600, meaning only one barely produced FE card will sell for that price. The true average price will be $700+.
And if it will be faster than 3080 then it will still be a perf/price gain.
Stop looking at the model names, people.

Could end up with a situation where the original 30xx series of cards are just wiped out by a combination of miners, scalpers and covid demand, while the 30xx super cards finally get into the hands of gamers.
I think it's a possible outcome.
Even more aggressive pricing and some VRAM upgrades - and NV will get a really nice looking "30 Super" series.
But GPU mining has to die out for that to happen, so I would expect it no earlier than 1H22.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The super cards were pretty decent overall. Could end up with a situation where the original 30xx series of cards are just wiped out by a combination of miners, scalpers and covid demand, while the 30xx super cards finally get into the hands of gamers.

It pains me to see years of PC gaming flushed down the drain.
Hopefully!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
And if it will be faster than 3080 then it will still be a perf/price gain.
Stop looking at the model names, people.

Why wouldn't I look at the model names? They offer an oversaturated range of cards, with expected price/performance range of each.

If a 4070 isn't in the 3080ti ballpark then it's going to be a disappointment. Especially if they keep jacking up prices.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Come on MSRP! I'd love to buy a 3070 or 3080 sometime in the next year at MSRP.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
My go to hardware site in has 3070 Ti for the same price or cheaper than 3070s. Still too much for my taste (over 800€) but things certainly seem to be getting better.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
RTX 3080ti still at £1700, and RTX 3090 still at £2000.. that's new from a store and in stock...

Still way above what I want to pay to replace my 1080ti... The wait continues

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Lol, where? I took a quick look at allegro, ceneo and olx, and the lowest listing was a 820 euro for rtx 3070. Stores pretty much all hold them at 1000 euro range.
They were avaiable at komputronik. They are still in very limited quanitites. I reccomend downlading deals app called pepper and setting some alerts. I constantly get alerts for 3070 ti for 3500zl, 3060ti for 3100zl.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Is the RTX 3050 worth it in sub $800 laptops? I see RTX 3060 laptops going for around $1200? Is that overpriced?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But GPU mining has to die out for that to happen, so I would expect it no earlier than 1H22.
Well that was fast:
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 SUPER Laptop GPUs to debut early next year - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA preparing SUPER refresh of their mobile GPUs According to a known leaker, NVIDIA will launch its SUPER refresh early next year. Leaker @greymon55 claims that NVIDIA will launch its SUPER RTX 30 series next year. This collaborates on a rumor that we have heard as well. It also aligns with...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was fast:
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 SUPER Laptop GPUs to debut early next year - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA preparing SUPER refresh of their mobile GPUs According to a known leaker, NVIDIA will launch its SUPER refresh early next year. Leaker @greymon55 claims that NVIDIA will launch its SUPER RTX 30 series next year. This collaborates on a rumor that we have heard as well. It also aligns with...
Super line doesn't really make sense to me here. I'm not sure what their going for with the naming scheme (which is fucked anyway)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Super line doesn't really make sense to me here.
Drop the prices and/or increase VRAM capacities on select models, same as with 20 super basically.
The rumors of GA103 won't die either but I'd expect it to appear already if it was still a thing so not really counting on it.
30 series refresh will be needed as 40 series is unlikely to launch till 2023.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Super line doesn't really make sense to me here. I'm not sure what their going for with the naming scheme (which is fucked anyway)

If the market collapses because it gets flooded with used cards to a way lower price Nvidia will lose alot of profit since everyone goes for cheaper used cards (which arent even that old). One way to counter this is by releasing a new line up. It doesnt have to be much better but most people will go for a slightly better card before buying a then outdated one.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I read everyhwere that prices in europe are falling rapidly, yet when I look up 3080s I still see prices of 1400€...
After the 30XX Super leaks though I might just wait and get it together with Alder Lake or AMDs refresh.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Still running my 1060. Was really hoping to upgrade to a 3070 but current prices have made that a pipe dream. The 1060 still does me well enough for now. Though if this current trend continues, maybe by the time the next hardware is out I can grab a 3070 for a solid price.