• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Curves follows the pricing for BTC and ETH pretty well, to my untrained eye at least. Someone smarter than me should overlay their exchange rates over this curve.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Managed to scoop a 3070 last week, since it was ~$400 CAD less than the going price over the past several months.

Very happy with it so far, especially at 1080p.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017

Cmon Supergirl, have a heart!
latest

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Crypto is one of the stupidest waste of resource ever. So many financial people I follow on twitter I follow have become temporarily brain damaged (symptom : laser eyes).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So the chip shortage is finally coming to an end?
No.
Mining demand is dropping.
Many cards are nearing their cut off line on profitable ROI before ETH will switch to PoS model making GPU mining unnecessary.
There is a clear surge in used GPUs propositions on sites which sell these. Mining rigs are being dismantled.

How soon can I buy a 3080 without being forced to sell my car to afford it?
Half a year from now I'd say.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear is the production volume of chips still the same as it was 2019 and it's just higher demand caused the shortage? Or is production also lower than 2019?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
On Amazon the prices are still trash and manage to get sold out anyway, It doesn't even seem that there are GPU sold by Amazon itself but only third party. From what I see the situation is getting worse and worse... I hope I'm wrong :/

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
With the mining boom coming to an end and the Ti's launch, I definitely have seen where people have had an easier time getting their hands on GPUs in the past week than the past 8 months.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
With the mining boom coming to an end and the Ti's launch, I definitely have seen where people have had an easier time getting their hands on GPUs in the past week than the past 8 months.
AMD has also ramped up production it seems. It's become easier to get a card from their site in Europe, their shitty webstore notwithstanding.
AMD CPUs are also down to MSRP in Europe, seems they've been able to produce more of everything lately.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Anecdotally I've noticed the trend just seeing the success people are having in the various stock tracking discords I follow. Either more cards are making it into the hands of regular gamers or the amount of people willing to spend ridiculous amounts on these cards has peaked and the market no longer supports selling a 3080 for 3x its original cost. A ton of people getting the 3080ti and 3070ti from the evga queue lately as well.

My guess is by the end of the year getting a GPU will be comparable to getting something like a XSX today. In other words it is doable with a minimal amount of effort, but not quite as simple as walking into any store at your leisure.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
At the very least, prices have stabilized at the top for a couple of months now. Seems that there's less and less people willing to pay the premium prices these things are running for.

Still a long way to normal prices. Gotta keep waiting.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Desperately praying for these crypto idiots to lose everything so we can partake in our hobbies.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this GPU shitshow isn't done by the beginning of next year then I'll just order a cheap media PC from Cyberpower and have them throw in a 3080 to use in my main PC.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great news! I'll be building my new rig next year hopefully it's all normal by then.

Oct 27, 2017
China's crackdown on BTC miners have about zero effect on GPU availability.
You can't mine Bitcoin on GPUs.
But in general, miners will be hoarding hardware resources for mining irrespective of short term hits to that market (like the one caused by china cracking down). Cryptomining is still on the rise and will be for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But in general, miners will be hoarding hardware resources for mining irrespective of short term hits to that market (like the one caused by china cracking down). Cryptomining is still on the rise and will be for the foreseeable future unfortunately.
When it comes to GPUs it's winding down already and will likely get back to before 2017 state in half a year, after ETH 2.0 release.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so, but I have a terrible feeling it will drag on longer than that.
I don't think it will. In fact it will likely lead to another crypto hangover with loads of 30 series cards being sold on 2nd hand market for 1/3 of their actual MSRPs. Retail won't be able to hold onto the current prices due to that either. I also kinda wonder if Nvidia expects that and this is the reason why they are likely to skip 2022 and wait till 2023 before launching next gen of GPUs.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this kinda freaks me out when it comes to future pricing. Will Nvidia and AMD just set MSRPs sky high after seeing that the market is willing to pay these prices?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Trending down, but still not reasonable, and availability continues to be a problem in most regions.
As noted in other threads, it won't stabilize until this fall/winter, and by then, nVidia and AMD will already have new cards loaded in the chamber.
Money Grab refreshes will be the main point of order before channels get loaded with used RTX 3000 and RX 5000/6000 cards. Then we'll start hearing about how amazing the RTX 4000 and RX 7000 cards will be. Heck, the rumor mill is already churning on that.

Will Nvidia and AMD just set MSRPs sky high after seeing that the market is willing to pay these prices?

Count on it. Manufacturers realize they left a lot of cash on the table in the early months of this hardware cycle.

Last edited:

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect a drop in demand for the AMD cards. I doubt we'll see the 6xxx series ever really in stock. But the drop in crypto, lack of demand for scalped cards (hopefully), and LHR cards on top of that, might help the 3xxx series Nvidia cards availability.

Huh? Literally all of the 6xxx cards sit on the shelf at my local MicroCenter for days on end.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Anecdotally I've noticed this the past week while looking to buy a 3070 from resellers after selling mine a month ago.

I sold to a miner for 1550 and am seeing them go for as low as 1250-1300 on Kijiji in Canada today.