• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I added the "part 1" since some people online apparently complain that not saying it is part 1 only is clickbait, even though there's only one game named like that.
Via VG24/7:

He'll fight along you as an AI-controlled guest character.

"We felt the point at which Red XIII joins the party in the story is very late on so we thought okay, if we're gonna have him as a full character and try and get the player to enjoy his character development arc and growth as a character through that, it's not really enough time to do that," Final Fantasy 7 Remake co-director Naoki Hamaguchi told VG247 as part of a wider FF7 Remake interview.

"We thought that the best way to have him involved was as a guest character. Normally throughout the game you'll be playing as a three-man party, but you will have him as a guest character that fights alongside you during the the last part of the story," Hamaguchi elaborated. "He'll be using all of his old really nostalgic moves, and you'll see that. We felt that was the best way of showing him off as a character and who he is. That's why we felt that was the best way to include him."
That makes Final Fantasy 7 Remake's actual playable cast four

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it funny you have to signify Part 1 and it's click bait if you don't when SQUARE IS CALLING THE GAME FF7 REMAKE.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah..that's what you get for cutting the game in parts. Red XIII is late late game during Midgar. What are you going to use him for?

Red XIII as a character is going to suffer for this. Who's going to start part 2 and say "yeah i'm going to use him" when you will have to wait two, maybe three years for part 2 to come out and he will not have proven himself as a character to make him compelling.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The leaks let us know this months ago and people really should have anticipated it considering his place in the story.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild to me that there hasn't been MORE complaints of "game is early access" or "I'll buy the game when it's actually done" or whatever. Anyway, game looks great!

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Just to remind everyone we still have no idea how this business model will actually work, will part 2 be called ff7 remake 2? Or is it going to be like an add on?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Red XIII as a character is going to suffer for this. Who's going to start part 2 and say "yeah i'm going to use him" when you will have to wait two, maybe three years for part 2 to come out and he will not have proven himself as a character to make him compelling.
Why would this deter people from using him specifically and not every other character you get past part 1 as well? Red XIII sucks anyway so no point in using him but yeah.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Well yeah..that's what you get for cutting the game in parts. Red XIII is late late game during Midgar. What are you going to use him for?

That's a weird take tbh. The only thing that will suffer from this for Part 1 is less gameplay variety.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Part 1?? This is a full game.
Didn't you read the back of the cover?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That's a weird take tbh. The only thing that will suffer from this for Part 1 is less gameplay variety.
You see a character and you're going to have to wait several years to play as him. What happens after Midgar is a trip to Kalm and "maybe" an open-world section until Junon. There is no context to use Red XIII anymore considering the urgency is gone and his character arc doesn't pick up again until Cosmo Canyon. He's definitely going to suffer as a character for this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this was pretty obvious from the last trailer where he was present in the battle but not part of the party

Makes sense, really, since he'll only be around for the final 4 hours, if that. Will be fun to play as him in whatever comes next.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah makes sense, pretty sure they were saying something about it just being Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they finally confirmed it. Incredibly disappointing news and will absolutely affect how I look back on this part of the remake. I understand why they didn't do it but I'll honestly never forgive them for not making Red playable in this part. Huge bummer.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What......

This is the most disappointing thing I've read about the remake. :|

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Makes sense. By the time you get him, there's literally next to nothing to do with him since you're trying to get out of the tower and out of midgar.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What......

This is the most disappointing thing I've read about the remake. :|
Assuming before leaving Midgar and there isn't a ton of 'end game' side content to do, it's not like you would have been able to use him for that long anyway.

Wait really? I can see that making sense, but you have a link?
No just making up garbage lol. No way they do that (but I could imagine them skipping some 'playable' stuff in favor or just in game story sequences. An opening of part 2 just being kalm and the flashback rather than the player playing through them, but who knows).

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dataminers confirmed this, and I figured that a December demo was far too late into production to be an early idea later changed.

Curious as to what event occurs for him to be seen as a main party member. Red XIII doesn't leave your party after you rescue him in the original game, right?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dataminers confirmed this, and I figured that a December demo was far too late into production to be an early idea later changed.

Curious as to what event occurs for him to be seen as a main party member. Red XIII doesn't leave your party after you rescue him in the original game, right?

No hes a permanent addition to the roster.

Oct 30, 2017
Very expected, he literally join the group at the very end of Midgar arc.

To have him being playable as a guest character in the battles alongside the rest is totally fine by me.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Imagine buying Final Fantasy 7 and thinking you'd get a chance to use Red XIII. The audacity.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
You see a character and you're going to have to wait several years to play as him. What happens after Midgar is a trip to Kalm and "maybe" an open-world section until Junon. There is no context to use Red XIII anymore considering the urgency is gone and his character arc doesn't pick up again until Cosmo Canyon. He's definitely going to suffer as a character for this.
Why do you think the second game will only consist of Kalm and maybe Junon?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
No hes a permanent addition to the roster.

I guess they might use Red XIII as a "guide" to the party/cast to a more open gameplay experience in the next part/volume. Assuming they have an open world approach for the next installment, maybe he's still a guest as part of a tutorial segment to get players used to that system, then joins proper.

I can understand that maybe they didn't want to flesh out Red XIII for this installment as he probably shows up in the last two hours or so, but I think it'll be interesting to see if they try to introduce him from being a guest to a main character.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 1 really needed a midgar themed subtitle to not get the not informed rhe chance to be bummed out.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming before leaving Midgar and there isn't a ton of 'end game' side content to do, it's not like you would have been able to use him for that long anyway.

No just making up garbage lol. No way they do that (but I could imagine them skipping some 'playable' stuff in favor or just in game story sequences. An opening of part 2 just being kalm and the flashback rather than the player playing through them, but who knows).

Oh ok lol I mean I can see them doing something like that to be honest that's why I had to ask lmao

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but that excuse is such nonsense. "We didn't want to make him playable because he wouldn't have a full character arc" what a load of shit. Red didn't have any development until you got to Cosmo Canyon anyway so what difference does it make if he doesn't have a full arc. Why is Cloud playable seeing as we won't get his full character arc in this part. Utter nonsense.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Bit of common sense would tell you they're not going to bother designing a complex battle system for a character you meet in probably the last hour of the game. They'll keep them as a basic AI guest member and save it for next time.