• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
From Digital Spy

Red Dwarf is returning to the small screen again with feature-length episode The Promised Land set to air on UKTV's Dave next month.

The first trailer for the 90-minute special has just been released online and shows a very unexpected twist.

It turns out that Craig Charles' Dave Lister is actually a god – well, at least he is to a group of cat clerics who are currently fleeing a feral cat leader named Rodon.

I hope it's good, but it's always nice to see the boys back together.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Boys from the Dwarf!

cEEWvwm.gif

caught the last second or two on the tv and assumed it was a new series.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember their being an unproduced draft for an episode in series 4 or 5 with that plot. I'll have to look that up.

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome, didn't realize new Dwarf was coming this year.

Unfortunately this is a continuation of the Waiting for God episode plot line from Series 1 which is easily in the running for the worst episode of Dwarf. I'm also not sure feature length/extended episodes have ever been good for this series either.

A true monkey's paw situation.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
That trailer does nothing for me. But I really need to re-watch the original run. 😁😁😁

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well *there's* something new to look forwards to. Fantastic news!

Edit: It's not a twist that Dave is a god to the cat people.

That's in like, THE FIRST FUCKING EPISODE.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Well *there's* something new to look forwards to. Fantastic news!

Edit: It's not a twist that Dave is a god to the cat people.

That's in like, THE FIRST FUCKING EPISODE.

Hey, it was over thirty years ago lol, a lot of people will have forgotten.

I only remember it clearly because it was fleshed out slightly more in the old novel (think it was "infinity welcomes careful drivers").

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Enjoyed that. Red Dwarf might be past it's prime now but like the last few series, it's still surprisingly good enough to make me laugh and the cast are still great together.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It was good stuff and, for once, twitter seems to have really enjoyed Dave era Dwarf as well.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm glad to hear it was good, as it had the distinct possibility of not being good. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to watch it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
My bar for modern Red Dwarf isn't low, but it's gives the show a lot of leeway to fail in certain areas.

Is it funny? That's what matters to me. I've found the majority of the Dave stuff after the (understandably) clunky Back to Earth (which still has some character moments I adore and works better in the reedited version on the Blu-Ray) to clear that bar.

And for the vast majority of the Dave era, it's been laugh out loud so. This stayed funny for the whole 90 minutes run time. I'm not going to run around calling it the best ever, but I'll gladly revisit it as I have gladly revisted much of seasons X through XII.

As a long time fan, there was some lovely stuff buried in here. Rimmer's black and white appearance was the original concept for the character, but it was too complex to realize back in 89. Rimmer's existential crisis was ripped straight from the pages of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, where a predecessor of his struggles with the concept of a simulated consciousness, although I have to say I prefer the books 'I think I think, therefor I possible are' more than the version of the line they went with in this. The recreation of the cat holy book was so authentic it had me wondering if it was the original prop (it can't have been though... can it?).

As far as the jokes, the 2001 airlock scene, Cat being converted, Rimmer struggling with the extension cables, and everything relating to Holly's plan to rescue them from the desert planet had me laughing the most.

And as far as the rest? The moonlight speech was ace.

The canned laughter. It's unbearable.
It's not canned. They shot this in front of a studio audience, same as every season other than 7 and Back to Earth.

Jul 19, 2018
Then the audience are fucking idiots. Laughing at literally anything and everything. Maybe they've recorded them at a higher volume, but I never used to notice it in the original series (1-6).

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the OT? I can't wait to see this.

Having read the novels this ones plot is quite the enticing prospect. I always wondered why 'there's nothing for Cat to do' in this show ever it's always about something for the other three and boom they make this movie.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Is this the OT? I can't wait to see this.

Having read the novels this ones plot is quite the enticing prospect. I always wondered why 'there's nothing for Cat to do' in this show ever it's always about something for the other three and boom they make this movie.
This is much more a Lister story than a story about Cat, even if it's about other cats.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
They're never going to be good as Red Dwarf at it's peak but I enjoyed it, there were some funny moments and some good nods.

I've been rewatching them all again recently so the bit where Rimmer cycles through all his old outfits was really good.

May 10, 2019
8qLOTSo.gif

One of my all time favorite shows! I loved it so much that I imported the DVDS as soon as they were released in England to America. I bought a DVD player that converted it from PAL to NTSC.

The PBS channel I watched growing up had this, Fawlty Towers and Allo Allo! back to back every late night on Sunday.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The same quality as most of new Dwarf, not very funny but had some good moments. The marooned part in the middle was the best of the episode and felt the closest to the classic series.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well, that last 30 seconds was definitely a Red Dwarf episode ending. They haven't lost that.

Watching this in 2020 it's clear how much the "future" presented on Red Dwarf is rooted in the '80s idea of the future. That backup disk. All the "antiques" Lister found were c.1980s. So they also stayed true to that aspect, although I wonder how that works for younger viewers.

That Anubis Stone was a completely unexplained deus ex machina.

But ya, I enjoyed it a whole lot. It was great when the dialogue between Lister and Rimmer got going, that chemistry really brought me back.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
They reused the "door" gag on the Cat ships loads... and I giggled every time. So obvious. So stupid. I definitely shouldn't have been amused by it as much as I was.

Similarly I found the "I'm sorry to interrupt your knocking things off the table" gag to be equally (bafflingly) amusing.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the movie/series/whatever is more cute than funny, but that's okay. Like there's a stride now that they didn't have when they had first come back, so if they want to keep making these I'm more than happy to watch them.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but the Picard parallel with Kryten and Data is just a funny coincidence.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They reused the "door" gag on the Cat ships loads... and I giggled every time. So obvious. So stupid. I definitely shouldn't have been amused by it as much as I was.

Similarly I found the "I'm sorry to interrupt your knocking things off the table" gag to be equally (bafflingly) amusing.
The show has always been very self aware with its stupid/obvious gags, like the laser pointer, and it works for them as a result.