• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Suddenly getting a "ERR_GFX_STATE" crash when loading my save with Vulkan. If I switch to DX12 it works... but then it'll crash randomly later because it's DX12 🙃

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Are they seriously not gonna put a Steam page up at all until December?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Suddenly getting a "ERR_GFX_STATE" crash when loading my save with Vulkan. If I switch to DX12 it works... but then it'll crash randomly later because it's DX12 🙃

yep, this started with me yesterday also. You can go into the settings folder in documents, delete everything but the xml file, and verify integrity and it worked the next time I launched it.........but the time after that it crashed with the same error msg.

So I swapped to DX12. And yep, crashes every couple of hours.

Game pls is jus wanna play you.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Any guy with a gtx 1050ti and an i5 8300h ? I am talking about 900p can I achieve between 50-60 FPS with these specs?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Are they seriously not gonna put a Steam page up at all until December?

at the very least, I doubt theyll put it up unti lthe port is considered "fixed".
but also, I guess it could be that they're just trying to get as many ppl to buy it on their store as possible so they'hide' the steam version as long as possible.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
at the very least, I doubt theyll put it up unti lthe port is considered "fixed".
but also, I guess it could be that they're just trying to get as many ppl to buy it on their store as possible so they'hide' the steam version as long as possible.

I would expect the same. Steam refunds are far easier than trying to get one from Rockstar so they better have the game in good condition by next month. There is definitely still a ways to go because it still has completely stupid problems like map rendering incorrectly in fullscreen on Vulkan or the iOS companion app not working with PC. The fishing seems broken on controllers too for some reason, I had to switch to mouse and keyboard to even reel in a fish. It's like they started porting this game with a months old build or something.

I feel like the game looks a bit better in DX12 too but have to run on Vulkan because it runs better without crashes. I can't put my finger on what is the difference, will probably take some screenshots to see if I can figure it out.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I would be willing to bet the majority of PC gamers absolutely do not play games with Vsync on, due to the massively increased input lag. Any googling will give them those answers, pretty much every one says to "turn it off", its been ingrained into the minds of every single person I know who plays PC games.
I'm willing to get they do, due to the massively increased tearing.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

No one cares about tearing in comparision to input lag. I love my Gsync monitor but when does anyone complain about that on PC forums or websites outside of Era? You guys are in a bubble here.

Data is difficult to source for this, but every way to find some points it in favour of my argument.

Google Trends results for "input lag" vs other variations I could think of:
DKyoh6Y.png

Top Google result when searching "vsync on or off". Search this (or a variation) for yourself and click on a link. Nearly all of them say to turn it off. Almost every forum post, reddit post, anything, they suggest to turn it off because of lag.
5zvwVp9.png

The vast majority of popular video games on PC are multiplayer, which requires better reflexes and lower input lag. The average person couldn't care less about tearing, but they do know a bit about "lag", and they want to avoid it. In comparison to screen tearing, the majority of PC gamers prefer lower input lag from my results.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
No one cares about tearing in comparision to input lag. I love my Gsync monitor but when does anyone complain about that on PC forums or websites outside of Era? You guys are in a bubble here.

Data is difficult to source for this, but every way to find some points it in favour of my argument.

DKyoh6Y.png

Top Google result when searching "vsync on or off". Search this (or a variation) for yourself and click on a link. Nearly all of them say to turn it off. Almost every forum post, reddit post, anything, they suggest to turn it off because of lag.
5zvwVp9.png

The vast majority of popular video games on PC are multiplayer, which requires better reflexes and lower input lag. The average person couldn't care less about tearing, but they do know a bit about "lag", and they want to avoid it. In comparison to screen tearing, the majority of PC gamers prefer lower input lag from my results.
You can google all you want, but we don't actually have any hard data to back up your claim. Most PC gamers probably just use the settings presets available to them, and vsync on or off based on whatever the default happens to be. That's just how people tend to operate, lol.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017

DKyoh6Y.png

5zvwVp9.png

I can't remember the last time I had vsync on. Has to be double digit years. I enabled it after the last patch in this game lol. The tearing was so bad it looked like waves going across my screen anytime I moved. I haven't noticed any noticeable input lag but I will turn it off if they fix the screen tearing.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can google all you want, but we don't actually have any hard data to back up your claim. Most PC gamers probably just use the settings presets available to them, and vsync on or off based on whatever the default happens to be. That's just how people tend to operate, lol.

That's not what I said. I said in comparison to screen tearing, input lag is more important with the data we have available. Of course theres also a big segment who just don't care and don't notice it.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Maybe people have different ways of seeing things? Before I ascended to gsync glory and I had to choose, I always preferred having slight input lag over screen tearing. Screen tearing is extremely jarring for me while the input lag I barely noticed. Glad I don't need to choose anymore tho.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how this thread got off on this weird tangent, but as someone who primarily plays SP games on PC, screen tearing is way more distracting than how ever many ms of input lag vsync produces. I try to mitigate input lag where I can, but screen tearing will never be a concession I'm willing to make and I imagine that goes for a lot of people.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe people have different ways of seeing things? Before I ascended to gsync glory and I had to choose, I always preferred having slight input lag over screen tearing. Screen tearing is extremely jarring for me while the input lag I barely noticed. Glad I don't need to choose anymore tho.
Not sure how this thread got off on this weird tangent, but as someone who primarily plays SP games on PC, screen tearing is way more distracting than how ever many ms of input lag vsync produces. I try to mitigate input lag where I can, but screen tearing will never be a concession I'm willing to make and I imagine that goes for a lot of people.

Yep. A lot of bullshit being spread in this thread and for no reason really.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
That's not what I said. I said in comparison to screen tearing, input lag is more important with the data we have available. Of course theres also a big segment who just don't care and don't notice it.
"More important" - for what? There are thousands of games outside of the competitive shooter genre where your response time is of course absolutely critical, even if you did leave vsync off doing those however, it doesn't mean you wouldn't accept slightly increased input latency (which can vary drastically game to game, regardless of vsync) for other games as opposed to tearing. What I'm going to accept in Fortnite is wholly different than the experience I expect in any number of single player games.

It's your preference. It's not 'data' - we know the 'data' you're speaking of - vsync off produces less input lag. Yes, no one is debating that. It's the price you have to pay to get it, which will vary depending upon the game genre, refresh rate, input method, personal taste, etc.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Is VRR Gsync? If so, then you explicitly DON'T need vsync on, lol.
Yeahhhh you got that backwards my dude, if you have a variable refresh rate monitor, you don't need vsync on, you can certainly keep it on, but it can introduce the input lag that it's notorious for.
Except disabling vsync means that, if your frame rate exceeds your max refresh rate, tearing will begin.

When vsync is off, exceeding your monitor's refresh rate results in tearing. When vsync is on, exceeding your monitor's refresh rate isn't possible, but hitting the cap enables vsync. Capping your FPS a few frames below your maximum refresh rate and enabling vsync results in the ideal balance of input latency and no tearing.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Except disabling vsync means that, if your frame rate exceeds your max refresh rate, tearing will begin.

When vsync is off, exceeding your monitor's refresh rate results in tearing. When vsync is on, exceeding your monitor's refresh rate isn't possible, but hitting the cap enables vsync. Capping your FPS a few frames below your maximum refresh rate and enabling vsync results in the ideal balance of input latency and no tearing.
This is why I bought a 144hz gsync monitor

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I bought a 144hz gsync monitor
Which is also what I'm using (well, mine has an OC to 165hz, but that's besides the point). You should enable vsync with a gsync monitor, since it'll prevent your framerate from exceeding 144FPS and reintroducing tearing. Use RTSS or Nvidia Profile Inspector to cap your framerate a few frames below your refresh rate (2 or 3 is enough), and vsync won't engage when you hit 144FPS.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
"More important" - for what? There are thousands of games outside of the competitive shooter genre where your response time is of course absolutely critical, even if you did leave vsync off doing those however, it doesn't mean you wouldn't accept slightly increased input latency (which can vary drastically game to game, regardless of vsync) for other games as opposed to tearing. What I'm going to accept in Fortnite is wholly different than the experience I expect in any number of single player games.

It's your preference. It's not 'data' - we know the 'data' you're speaking of - vsync off produces less input lag. Yes, no one is debating that. It's the price you have to pay to get it, which will vary depending upon the game genre, refresh rate, input method, personal taste, etc.

It's because it's all bullshit lol

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm normally not using vsync with gsync. And why should I, there is no tearing with Gsync. If a game is likely to exceed my displays refresh rate I just cap it 2-3 fps below that with RTSS.

Before the last patch I had to use vsync + gysnc with RDR2 in vulkan though. Gsync wouldn't work otherwise for whatever reason. This has been fixed now and all I can say: Running the game without vsync but just gsync feels way better. It was a noticeable change.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
I'm normally not using vsync with gsync. And why should I, there is no tearing with Gsync. If a game is likely to exceed my displays refresh rate I just cap it 2-3 fps below that with RTSS.

Before the last patch I had to use vsync + gysnc with RDR2 in vulkan though. Gsync wouldn't work otherwise for whatever reason. This has been fixed now and all I can say: Running the game without vsync but just gsync feels way better. It was a noticeable change.
Well that's placebo effect for you. GSync with VSync enabled does not introduce any extra input lag. For proof, please check battlenonsense GSync input lag tests

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Someone who knows what they're talking about needs to make an entire thread as a guide to how vsync works these days, especially with the popularity of VRR now as well and the new scanljne feature in RTSS.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's placebo effect for you. GSync with VSync enabled does not introduce any extra input lag. For proof, please check battlenonsense GSync input lag tests

Normally, sure.
In this case it is a noticeable difference.
Gsync didn't even work in this one without V-Sync. Which is also something that should not have happened.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Did they fix SLI support yet?
Is it working and just buggy, or have they not announced anything? With Vulkan and DX12 the developer has to explicitly manage the resources on each card, it's not a trivial amount of work. If they haven't said that it's coming then I wouldn't get your hopes up. SLI is extremely niche at this point and the newer API's just don't support it without the developer doing most of the work.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Anyone else with an i7-7700K who tried the -cpuLoadRebalancing launch argument?

Rockstar recommends enabling it for 4c/8t CPUs, but, in my case, all it did was make all cores run with higher loads (up to 10-15% more) at higher temperatures (5-10C more), with an actual decrease in performance (5 FPS less, on average).

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Rockstar recommends enabling it for 4c/8t CPUs, but, in my case, all it did was make all cores run with higher loads (up to 10-15% more) at higher temperatures (5-10C more), with an actual decrease in performance (5 FPS less, on average).
I thought it was mainly for i5s because of the issues those of us with them were having.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Unless you are getting hard stutters, I wouldn't use it. 8 thread cpu's should be just fine. Benchmarks showed them to do well.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I don't have anymore freezing issues with my 6600k, but the frame rate is still awful in towns. I've basically given up the 60fps dream for this game until I can be bothered upgrading.

This is probably the first time I haven't really been mad about capping to 30fps on PC, the game just looks mental at ultra settings. Can't get over how expansive the world feels with the grass density and near infinite draw distances.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
New patch is up. 2.6GB. No patch notes yet.

The Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution setting would constantly lead to crashes upon loading into story mode for me, I've attempted to load the game twice now in Saint Denis and it hasn't crashed, it seems that crashes related to this setting may have been resolved for me. Has anyone also experienced this? I run the game using the Vulkan API.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 4GHz
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of offtopic but I haven't been able to find an answer yet: what exactly is volumetric raymarch resolution? What does that setting even do?

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I think it is also useful to highlight this passage... (from the -recently- added faq):

Wait, why should I enable V-SYNC with G-SYNC again? And why am I still seeing tearing with G-SYNC enabled and V-SYNC disabled? Isn't G-SYNC suppose to fix that?
(LAST UPDATED: 05/02/2019)
The answer is frametime variances.

"Frametime" denotes how long a single frame takes to render. "Framerate" is the totaled average of each frame's render time within a one second period.
At 144Hz, a single frame takes 6.9ms to display (the number of which depends on the max refresh rate of the display, see here), so if the framerate is 144 per second, then the average frametime of 144 FPS is 6.9ms per frame.

In reality, however, frametime from frame to frame varies, so just because an average framerate of 144 per second has an average frametime of 6.9ms per frame, doesn't mean all 144 of those frames in each second amount to an exact 6.9ms per; one frame could render in 10ms, the next could render in 6ms, but at the end of each second, enough will hit the 6.9ms render target to average 144 FPS per.

So what happens when just one of those 144 frames renders in, say, 6.8ms (146 FPS average) instead of 6.9ms (144 FPS average) at 144Hz? The affected frame becomes ready too early, and begins to scan itself into the current "scanout" cycle (the process that physically draws each frame, pixel by pixel, left to right, top to bottom on-screen) before the previous frame has a chance to fully display (a.k.a. tearing).

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" allows these instances to occur, even within the G-SYNC range, whereas G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" (what I call "frametime compensation" in this article) allows the module (with average framerates within the G-SYNC range) to time delivery of the affect frames to the start of the next scanout cycle, which lets the previous frame finish in the existing cycle, and thus prevents tearing in all instances.

And since G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" only holds onto the affect frames for whatever time it takes the previous frame to complete its display, virtually no input lag is added; the only input lag advantage G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" has over G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" is literally the tearing seen, nothing more.
For further explanations on this subject see part 1 "Control Panel," part 4 "Range," and part 6 "G-SYNC vs. V-SYNC OFF w/FPS Limit" of this article, or read the excerpts below…