• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, to use Sharpen via Nvidia control panel the game needs be using DX12? If so when using Sharpen via GFE with vulkan do i have to open GFE every time i launch the game to the effect works?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So, to use Sharpen via Nvidia control panel the game needs be using DX12? If so when using Sharpen via GFE with vulkan do i have to open GFE every time i launch the game to the effect works?
Nope, it works with everything as far as I can tell, even launchers for games sometimes lol.
The sharpen via the Nvidia CP only works for DX12 at the moment from what I've read.
That can't be right, as I've used it with DX11 games such as FFXIV and it worked fine.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

The Nvidia Control Panel image sharpening feature only works with DirectX but the Freestyle filter (Alt+F3 in game) works in Vulkan too. No need to open GFE.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
So the only thing that is driving me absolutely nuts in this game and at the moment seems impossible is to craft a satchel, doesnt matter which one, for the sake of it im trying to craft the Kit Satchel, I found 3 star deers and made sure i kill them in such a way that it doesnt ruin the pelt(i have perfect pelts in my satchel) but whenever I visit my camp to craft them they dont show up in the recipes screen, fucking game i swear

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So the only thing that is driving me absolutely nuts in this game and at the moment seems impossible is to craft a satchel, doesnt matter which one, for the sake of it im trying to craft the Kit Satchel, I found 3 star deers and made sure i kill them in such a way that it doesnt ruin the pelt(i have perfect pelts in my satchel) but whenever I visit my camp to craft them they dont show up in the recipes screen, fucking game i swear

You need to donate them first.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did you turn them in to Pearson at his wagon? Just like you turn in meat/provisions, but it'll show "Donate for Crafting" instead. Once they are turned in, then you can craft the satchels.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I also wanted to craft one but I gave up early and finished the game without it.

It's just pointless and not worth your time if you ask me.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
You need to donate them first.
Did you turn them in to Pearson at his wagon? Just like you turn in meat/provisions, but it'll show "Donate for Crafting" instead. Once they are turned in, then you can craft the satchels.
I also wanted to craft one but I gave up early and finished the game without it.

It's just pointless and not worth your time if you ask me.

Ohhh snap, ok ok, I did not know i have to donate them first! cheers fellas

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I rarely ever care about tearing. It has to be really severe, and even then I would never enable it unless I was playing with a controller.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
What a weird take. I'm sure the majority do.

I know I always do
With my lowly 60 Hz monitor, I almost always turn vsync off to avoid the latency and jarring framerate changes when my computer can't handle certain scenes. It helps that the tearing in RDR2 isn't horrible. Some games tear really badly, and I'll turn vsync on for those particular games.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
With my lowly 60 Hz monitor, I almost always turn vsync off to avoid the latency and jarring framerate changes when my computer can't handle certain scenes.
That's what triple buffering does and why DF tested Read Dead with it. It can add some slight latency as opposed to double-buffering yes, but IME the majority of games use it whenever vsync is engaged and they don't explicitly specify it. It should always be an option IMO though, as there are some benefits to having double-buffered aside from slightly lower latency, such as a much higher chance of having a solid 30fps lock with good frame pacing if you want to go that route.

MaxVarEmreis

Nov 6, 2017
Kraków
snowGlints value in xml file should be true or false if I want snow glint in game?? After recent patch I don't known if this option did reset or not.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've basically given up the 60fps dream but this is probably the only time where I haven't really been made about capping to 30 on PC.
I wish they did comparisons with V-Sync off, I don't understand why they didn't. Who plays PC games with vsync on? Unless it doesn't make a difference?

Pretty much everyone with a traditional 60hz TV/monitor uses vsync unless you enjoy crazy amounts of screen tearing.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who plays PC games with tearing?
I would say the vast majority who don't have a freesync monitor, and even then it's recommended to leave vsync on regardless? Tearing sucks.
What a weird take. I'm sure the majority do.

I know I always do

I would be willing to bet the majority of PC gamers absolutely do not play games with Vsync on, due to the massively increased input lag. Any googling will give them those answers, pretty much every one says to "turn it off", its been ingrained into the minds of every single person I know who plays PC games.

Silverstoned

Dec 28, 2017
North California
is there a problem with the "kill them, each and every one" mission?

ive tried matchmaking multiple times today for that mission and cant get anything going. everything else is great.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've just started noticing the weird square shadows on people's faces - was there a fix for this?

I've also got flickering smoke in the distance.. ugh.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I would be willing to bet the majority of PC gamers absolutely do not play games with Vsync on, due to the massively increased input lag. Any googling will give them those answers, pretty much every one says to "turn it off", its been ingrained into the minds of every single person I know who plays PC games.
There may be (multiplayer) games where the input lag is relevant but I am totally willing to deal with it if I can get rid of tearing which is extremely annoying imo. I have never had any noticeable issues with it. For example, I managed to finish Sekiro with Vsync and I am 42 years old, so my reflexes are definitely not the best ;).

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The sharpen via the Nvidia CP only works for DX12 at the moment from what I've read.

I believe it was the Geforce Experience version that was limited to only a few titles. The control panel versikn works with everything, I tried it with Destiny 2 and it did function as expected.

Last edited:

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There may be (multiplayer) games where the input lag is relevant but I am totally willing to deal with it if I can get rid of tearing which is extremely annoying imo. I have never had any noticeable issues with it. For example, I managed to finish Sekiro with Vsync and I am 42 years old, so my reflexes are definitely not the best ;).

Multiplayer PC games are the biggest on the platform, by a large margin. The majority of PC gamers do not play with Vsync on because of this, and a lot of games don't default to it on either anymore. This forum is definately a big outlier, as the audience skews older and far less play MP games all the time. I know so many people who literally don't play SP games at all. I'm 20.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I use vsync is because I have a VRR monitor. Before getting it in 2017, I never enabled vsync, even if I capped the framerate.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've now just about perfected my settings (Hardware Unboxed recommended settings + .ini & launcher tweaks) to get 60~90FPS at 1440p on my gtx1080/i7 8700k. Was getting some crashes and performance cuts, but realized it was DX12 and the instance on Window mode. Swithcing to Vulkan stabilized my performance and stopped all crashes (Not a single one in the last 20hrs, some of which was 8h straight).

Overall after this latest patch I'm very happy with the PC Port of RDR2 and it's basically all I wanted when it comes to Graphical Settings and Performance. There's some other pain points, mainly related to limitations also present on consoles or PC having released later (ie: The Online content we missed out on). But overall I'm extreamly pleased with how things are now :)

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason I use vsync is because I have a VRR monitor. Before getting it in 2017, I never enabled vsync, even if I capped the framerate.
Yeahhhh you got that backwards my dude, if you have a variable refresh rate monitor, you don't need vsync on, you can certainly keep it on, but it can introduce the input lag that it's notorious for.