• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Damn, I hope I can remember all the 89 settings when I get home, I tinkered so much with them that I probably remember.

That tree tesselation looks so hot, can't wait to turn that on on future PCs because I'm not taking the performance hit right now.

Shame the patch apparently didn't improve performance for anyone. But at least if less people have constant crashes and can finally dive into the game as they should that's great.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea what these settings do?

<shadowParticleShadows value="false" />
<directionalShadowsAlpha value="false" />
<worldHeightShadowQuality value="0.000000" />
<directionalScreenSpaceShadowQuality value="0.000000" />
<ambientMaskVolumesHighPrecision value="false" />

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I had this issue in other games before, especially if they didn't have a real full screen mode. It was caused (weirdly) by Gigabyte's RGB Fusion app. I would end task of just about every application you have running on your PC and see if your issue goes away.

Yeah any RGB software seems to be a huge bag of shit in general. I would start from those followed by any software made for your mother board (ASUS AI Suite etc) as they are equally horrible.

I haven't had the mouse cursor issue a single time so far.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Oh boy, that patch reset all options to low for me. That is kind of annoying for all those people who tinkered to get the right settings, good thing I had a backup of the systems.xml file.

Reworking my XML parser (https://www.forceflow.be/temp/rdr2_settings_parser/) to include the new Tree tesselation settings.
(Edit: Updated the parser, reload yer browsers ;))

They disabled snowglints globally, too ... Weird.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Wow, I wonder why that isn't on by default? Do you think it might cause artifacts or glitches with other effects and that's why they have left it off?
Weird, I had that on even before the patch. Without touching the .ini
The first day version had it missing on snow on ultra - then the day aftert patch readded when it fixed tessellation on the snow as well.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm super glad I pasted a dump of my game settings to this thread a couple days ago. They really shouldn't have reset everyone's settings, jeeze.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Patch made it worse for me, perceived more stutter and frametime hiccups on vulkan, DX12 is even worse. i6700k+2080ti...

Oct 25, 2017
Game performs better but there are more frequent crashes. And this is with the same general settings from before the patch.
Worst thing is you can't save mid mission, so losing progress frequently isn't fun.

Satisfied with the patch when it comes to performance, like I said in a previous post. But I'll hold off on progressing the story for now.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they disabled it to "improve snow performance"? I'm leaving it disabled for now.
Another user in here already mentioned that the setting doesn't seem to affect performance. I think the snow glint was probably causing those weird artifacting issues a lot of people were posting around launch, and R* just disabled it while working on a fix.

I'd say that if you never experienced any weird artifacting with the snow you should turn it back on.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They finally fixed the .exe shortcut! You can start the game from the shortcut now and you can add it to Steam.

EDIT: Nevermind. It crashes to desktop when started from the shortcut lol! But it starts the launcher.

Last edited:

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Game performs better but there are more frequent crashes. And this is with the same general settings from before the patch.
Worst thing is you can't save mid mission, so losing progress frequently isn't fun.
This is why I'm currently holding off on actually playing the game. It seems like a great world to get invested in, but if I hit a crash wall / save issue I'm going to get hella annoyed :/

Added a little checkbox to include useful unlisted options (async, snowglints) in the settings parser.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
They finally fixed the .exe shortcut! You can start the game from the shortcut now and you can add it to Steam.
I'm still getting a crash message when launching it from Steam. Anyone with more luck? Maybe it's the Steam Overlay hooking that's problematic? Edit: Nope, even without the overlay I'm getting a crash when launching the executable through Steam.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm still getting a crash message when launching it from Steam. Anyone with more luck? Maybe it's the Steam Overlay hooking that's problematic? Edit: Nope, even without the overlay I'm getting a crash when launching the executable through Steam.

Add Rockstar Launcher to Steam using GloSC. If Rockstar Launcher is added directly as a "non-Steam game" RDR2 will just crash on launch. Don't know why but it works with GloSC just fine.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Dod You guys create tickets and send them to Rokstar Support? I send them every single issue which I have in separate ticket. I think it is the only way to get them fixed.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i used "Restore Previous Versions" on the Profile folder to get my settings.xml file back so I could run it through one of those websites to tell me what my settings used to be. Not replacing the file directly as I don't know what was added, but at least I can see my own previous settings.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Okay so trying some more stuff this morning (have 2x 2080 Ti's in NV-Link). Running everything Ultra (including Tree Tessellation) with TAA high. Global V-Sync set to ON in NV Control Panel, and RTSS Cap of -3 frames (though never hit max frames of 120 on PG27UQ) and running G-Sync. Also turned on Snow Glint in XML (why not lol)

• DX12 - no mGPU support, same performance for me as pre-partch. Both with HDR on/off. HDR does work. Frametimes are fine
  • Vulkan HDR - mGPU works, but GPU usage is low, and flickers like crazy. Frametimes are not good. OSD flickers
  • Vulkan no HDR - mGPU works, OSD still flickers. If I run with V-Sync off in game, I get above 60fps but frametimes are awful and is no where near smooth. frametime graph is a very very thick bar lol. If I set V-Sync to 1/2 refresh rate in game I get a solid 60fps with a pretty smooth 16ms frametime.
    • Even with V-Sync set to 1/2 or Off, anytime I get near a stream or river, FPS drops to <=50fps but frametime becomes awful, sometimes 40+ms. If I am not near water all is good. Only got to 1st town (Valentine) but was solid 60 fps walking through town.
Need to do some more testing. It seems that in Vulkan SLI even with HDR off image seems more washed out then I remember even for SDR. Maybe its just that I am coming from playing The Outer Worlds as I waited for the patch.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
First update that I do since the game launched. I hope I won't regret it.

Game's a ton more stable and smoother for me.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried running around the cities (Blackwater, Saint Denis) in Story and Online mode post-update? RDO loved kicking me off the server around those two cities in particular, but all towns had issues. There's really nothing more frustrating than getting an error in RDO right in front of the damn butcher.

I'm not gonna be around my pc until tomorrow, but am really hoping the crashing/player kicking scenarios have been fixed.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Okay so trying some more stuff this morning (have 2x 2080 Ti's in NV-Link). Running everything Ultra (including Tree Tessellation) with TAA high. Global V-Sync set to ON in NV Control Panel, and RTSS Cap of -3 frames (though never hit max frames of 120 on PG27UQ) and running G-Sync. Also turned on Snow Glint in XML (why not lol)

• DX12 - no mGPU support, same performance for me as pre-partch. Both with HDR on/off. HDR does work. Frametimes are fine
  • Vulkan HDR - mGPU works, but GPU usage is low, and flickers like crazy. Frametimes are not good. OSD flickers
  • Vulkan no HDR - mGPU works, OSD still flickers. If I run with V-Sync off in game, I get above 60fps but frametimes are awful and is no where near smooth. frametime graph is a very very thick bar lol. If I set V-Sync to 1/2 refresh rate in game I get a solid 60fps with a pretty smooth 16ms frametime.
    • Even with V-Sync set to 1/2 or Off, anytime I get near a stream or river, FPS drops to <=50fps but frametime becomes awful, sometimes 40+ms. If I am not near water all is good. Only got to 1st town (Valentine) but was solid 60 fps walking through town.
Need to do some more testing. It seems that in Vulkan SLI even with HDR off image seems more washed out then I remember even for SDR. Maybe its just that I am coming from playing The Outer Worlds as I waited for the patch.
Vulkan "NV-Link", is such a thing even possible? Almost sure one of your cards is dying of boredom.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Vulkan "NV-Link", is such a thing even possible? Almost sure one of your cards is dying of boredom.

Sorry NV-Link/SLI is set to ON in Nvidia Control panel. This latest patch enabled mGPU for Vulkan by default now (had to force it before using profile inspector but had a lot of issues), so game is now running both cards at 98% usage. Performance is definitely improved. Easy to verify with OSD.

DX12 does not run cards in mGPU configuration and only 1 card is getting used and so I am also getting lower FPS in DX12 compared to mGPU Vulkan.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry NV-Link/SLI is set to ON in Nvidia Control panel. This latest patch enabled mGPU for Vulkan by default now (had to force it before using profile inspector but had a lot of issues), so game is now running both cards at 98% usage. Performance is definitely improved. Easy to verify with OSD.

DX12 does not run cards in mGPU configuration and only 1 card is getting used.

What kind of framerate are you getting with such a beefy setup?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So anyone else experienced this odd issue?

Some trees disappear when zoomed in, others do not. No idea why some trees are affected and others are not. Settings show at the end of the video.

Can confirm this is fixed in the latest patch.

Also they fixed (well, slightly improved) mouse control in shop and satchel menus. Now clicking on something highlights it properly, not consumes it. You have to click twice now to consume something with the mouse.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
What kind of framerate are you getting with such a beefy setup?

If I don't cap the framerate and deal with crappy frametimes, I am normally above 70fps in Vulkan mGPU. Only time it drops so far (still early in game) is near any water (river/streams). Frametimes gets even worse near water and FPS takes 20fps hit. But out in the wild and in town (Only been to Valentine so far, can't comment on some of the bigger more demanding towns) i am 70 fps+. With 1/2 vysnc. solid 60fps with solid frametimes.

in DX12 I am normally between 40-52ish fps in the wild. get down to 32-35 in bad spots (snow level in beginning or near water)

Last edited:

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If I don't cap the framerate and deal with crappy frametimes, I am normally above 70fps in Vulkan mGPU. Only time it drops so far (still early in game) is near any water (river/streams). Frametimes gets even worse near water and FPS takes 20fps hit. But out in the wild and in towns i am 70 fps+. With 1/2 vysnc. solid 60fps with solid frametimes.

in DX12 I am normally between 40-52ish fps in the wild. get down to 32-35 in bad spots (snow level in beginning or near water)
Is that at 4K?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

Protip: use NVidia Freestyle Brightness/Contrast filter. It's actually an amazing filter and I use it for a lot of games. You can tweak brightness, contrast, gamma, shadows, and highlights. I use it to boost the contrast very slightly and add a bit of extra highlights to bright screen elements until they're to my liking. Something like +7% contrast and +20% highlights on my current setup, though that will be very monitor dependent.

With NVidia GeForce Experience overlay enabled, just hit Alt+F3 in game to apply the filter.

I'd also lower water physics to address your water issue.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Protip: use NVidia Freestyle Brightness/Contrast filter. It's actually an amazing filter and I use it for a lot of games. You can tweak brightness, contrast, gamma, shadows, and highlights. I use it to boost the contrast very slightly and add a bit of extra highlights to bright screen elements until they're to my liking. Something like +7% contrast and +20% highlights on my current setup, though that will be very monitor dependent.

With NVidia GeForce Experience overlay enabled, just hit Alt+F3 in game to apply the filter.

Thanks for the tip! Will try this out later today

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm this is fixed in the latest patch.

Also they fixed (well, slightly improved) mouse control in shop and satchel menus. Now clicking on something highlights it properly, not consumes it. You have to click twice now to consume something with the mouse.

Ah this was a big pain for me will need to try this. Mildly annoying having to switch to arrow keys on keyboard just for menus.

Lpwnsome

Oct 30, 2017
After this patch, I started it up and changed a bunch of settings since everything was reset to low. The game now does not start for me at all. "Quit unexpectedly" every time I try to launch. I've tried every suggestion on their troubleshooting page. Nothing.

I had just started the game last night too. This is a huge downer. Any suggestions? I'm about to give up on this game for now.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
After this patch, I started it up and changed a bunch of settings since everything was reset to low. The game now does not start for me at all. "Quit unexpectedly" every time I try to launch. I've tried every suggestion on their troubleshooting page. Nothing.

I had just started the game last night too. This is a huge downer. Any suggestions? I'm about to give up on this game for now.
Is your game rendering in DX12 or Vulkan? If DX12, try installing the windows optional feature "Graphics tools". A quick google search will tell you how to do it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Weird, I had that on even before the patch. Without touching the .ini
The first day version had it missing on snow on ultra - then the day aftert patch readded when it fixed tessellation on the snow as well.

Strange, seems they removed it again? (At least turned it off by default) maybe a mistake?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Either the new patch disabled snow glint or it has just been added. You can enable it in system.xml "<snowGlints value="false" />"

I think I figured out what the particle lighting quality does. Maybe it's the lighting on raindrops and such? I was by a campfire and the framerate took a hit when it started raining.

Also any idea why Red Dead Online is less demanding even on the same settings?

Just checked mine as I am now home and mine is already set to true by default, weird.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Big stutter @ 0:10, 1:10 and 2:09. Somebody here with zero stutters in this area and daytime? Or is it just impossible atm?

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
The latest patch and the workaround command has completely gotten rid of my stuttering and freezing. But now the windows cursor is stuck back in the middle of screen. I had gotten rid of it before but now it's back and pops up with every controller input. How do I get rid of it?

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017

Big stutter @ 0:10, 1:10 and 2:09. Somebody here with zero stutters in this area and daytime? Or is it just impossible atm?

Yeah posted about the same problem a few pages ago. They are still there after the patch.

Anyone getting frame drops especially in St. Denis? They are always in the same locations, seems like they happen when a new area of the town is being loaded, e.g. the harbor part. I think this is more of a CPU issue?
Don't know how to get rid of them in Vulkan or DX12.