• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Feel really bad for you all having problems.

I have not had a single crash or problem starting the game which I was totally expecting after hearing people were having problems.

I never updated my Nvidia drivers before playing the game, I am still on the Asgard Wrath game ready drivers and afraid to update incase I start having problems.

Oct 27, 2017
Or you know, people who have the myriad of PC configurations that can produce massive stuttering depending upon the API.
Yeah, that quote (especially making it on day 2 of the game's release, don't really care about "who" that person is or what they do) is a bit much for me given the overall state of this game's release. Calling it unoptimized may be a small stretch but being optimized and technically stable are somewhat similar to one another. The game is clearly not in a technical stable state currently with small and bigger issues popping up for likely the majority of the player-base.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. can someone upload the system.xml file

• Go to C:\Users\*YourUserName*\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings
  • Find the system.xml file in the Settings folder.

I dont see this in my documents folder and hopefully just messing around will actually make the game launch

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy if true

Not the exact same benchmark location, but probably close enough. Add a bit of fog to the scene and it would go down further.
It's not very surprising, all those extra light and shadow calculations will put more stress on the GPU.
As said, the benchmark isn't the worst case scenario.

nightvsdayiqk4g.jpg

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Is it enough to have Lightning at High to have global lightning (so light from moon etc?) or I need to have it on Ultra?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I was testing the settings and found something interesting. Reflection setting isn't only for the resolution of reflections on windows and stuff like I thought.

You can clearly see the difference in quality on the wooden surface of the wagon. There's also a blue light bounce/reflection on the ceiling of the barn which is more prominent on ultra settings. Global illumination is the same(High) for both screenshots.

ULTRA reflection quality:
XvUoKaV.jpg

LOW reflection quality:
PpTWQHD.jpg

Dictator thoughts?
I say in my video that it controls SSR quality as well.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I was testing the settings and found something interesting. Reflection setting isn't only for the resolution of reflections on windows and stuff like I thought.

You can clearly see the difference in quality on the wooden surface of the wagon. There's also a blue light bounce/reflection on the ceiling of the barn which is more prominent on ultra settings. Global illumination is the same(High) for both screenshots.

ULTRA reflection quality:
XvUoKaV.jpg

LOW reflection quality:
PpTWQHD.jpg

Dictator thoughts?
I noticed that ultra reflection quality can hurt framerates a lot even in outdoor areas, so yeah I'm guessing it's because it overall affects how lights bounce on objects as well.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What BES program?

What BES program?

I can't launch it in DX12. What's Process Lasso?

This is what one of my friends runnning a 2500k did and he played the game ever ever sinces stutter free;

First, you have to play in DX12. Vulkan for those i5 is unplayable and cause the big hitching.

Now you have to download Process Lasso
Select RDR2 from that list, CPU limiter >

''When CPU use is'' > Set it to 98
''For a period of'' leave it blank
''Reduce by this many cores'' > Set it to 1
''For a peroid of'' > Set it to 1

Hit add rule, then ok.

Then after that set the game's prioirty to above normal and that's it. Anyone that gets those freezes due to the CPU spike can try this method.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a 3700x, how does it perform? Is it still CPU intensive? Considering upgrading from an i5-6600k to that

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
So the people who rolled back there nvidia drivers how much of a increase did you see ? And how's the stability

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I was looking at a r5 2600 or i5 9400f. There both affordable but motherboards are mad expensive.

I really want to get dx12 to work for my setup.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
  • Removing the Rockstar Games / Red Dead Redemption 2 folder should re-create that file (but only on succesful launch, which is probably your problem)
  • You can download the contents of an example XML file (from me) here: https://www.forceflow.be/temp/rdr2_settings_parser/system.xml - If you're crashing on startup, try changing the value kSettingAPI_Vulkan to kSettingAPI_DX12

YES IT FINALLY LOADS!!! thank you so much, changing the vulkan to DX12 line made it load and finally have a successful launch so it should save the settings. Hopefully this helps others! Time to see how it runs now

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Plays great on my 2700x so the 3700x will be even better
Zero issues with the 3700x. GPU is more of a problem with this game.
The 3700x smokes the game.

You won't have any problems.

Performance wise at least
Going to get it sorted now, because it's unplayable on my i5-6600k. Constant stutters, tried DX 12, tried BES, tried Project Lasso but nothing helps.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Reading some of the thread, looks like the textures being a blurry mess on "High" isn't my computer. Good to know.

Bumped them up to ultra and it certainly looks better, though still kinda disappointing imo. Still see a texture every once in a while that looks really bad.

Also, potentially dumb question here but: I have an 8 GB 2080 Super, but the in-game settings are saying I only have like 6.9 GB worth of VRAM. Is that just a bug?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I was looking at a r5 2600 or i5 9400f. There both affordable but motherboards are mad expensive.

I really want to get dx12 to work for my setup.
b450 mobos arent that expensive
Yeah and neither are LGA1151 motherboards if you're going for a non-overclockable Intel, motherboards are relatively cheap compared to most PC components. This is basically my motherboard, 2 M2 slots, USB C, 4 dimm slots - really don't need anything more for a 9400F. B450M motherboards are in the exact same price range.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Damn game crashes every single time I try to ride to town with Hosea, like clockwork. They really, really didn't test this shit.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any link between the sudden crashes this game experiences and the CTDs that GTAV has also been experiencing for the past few rounds of drivers?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I had a power outage during a game and it corrupted the save and game cached data to the point that repetitive loads even in safe mode wouldn't work.

But I found a trick to force the game to recompile whatever cache is corrupted:
1. Start an online game (I haven't created a character yet)
2. As soon as it asks you to select a character, exit.
3. Go back to story, load.

This worked for me once before but I didn't realize it because I loaded online by mistake and exited.

Really frustrating that a PC game:
1. Isn't smart enough to recompile whatever starting a new online game does.
2. Doesn't allow loading story saves other than forced latest.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a 3700x, how does it perform? Is it still CPU intensive? Considering upgrading from an i5-6600k to that
The game is not particularly CPU intensive, but demonstrated in the Gamers Nexus benches showed it struggles abnormally in the 4 core/4 thread i5s. Anything with 4c/8t or better should have no issue and anyone with one of those CPUs will almost certainly be GPU limited.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping that Rockstar and Nvidia have been working on some amazing updates for this week.
The game is high profile enough to warrant an investigation on Nv's driver team part.
But with it being D3D12/VK only there's only so much the driver team can do to fix the renderer. So I wouldn't expect much, the ball is in Rockstar's court.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
God, it's always something with this fucking game. Got it to launch in DX12 finally thanks to this post, but now the mouse pointer is back in the middle of the screen and won't disappear, my display reverts to windowed instead of fullscreen at every launch, and I'm still getting freezing in menus and shops. I shouldn't have even messed with it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I replaced everything on my second computer and the only thing left is Windows. So I'm re-installing that now. I've installed Windows literally hundreds (if not thousands) of times, so that's not a big deal.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

1. Search "Apps & Features"
2. Click "Optional Features"
3. Click "+ Add a feature"
4. Click "Graphics Tools" > "Install"
5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:

Thanks for this. I reinstalled DX12 and am running the game with DX12 and have had no issues in a couple hours playing. Well one or two crashes, but no stutters and it's actually playable now.

Thanks again!

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Is map bugged for anyone? If I zoom out, it totally innacurate and when I'm trying to zoom in, it behave very weird... Like when I zoom out, valentine markers move east and Horsshe Overlook markers show in unknow map area...

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Tweaked some settings around to try and balance performance with quality, since high lighting makes such a difference in terms of quality.
My setup:
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 mobo
OC'd i5 6600k with the process lasso fix enabled
+200 core +600 memory GTX 1070 (8GB)
1440p resolution, Vulkan renderer, Gsync enabled, Vsync On, latest nVidia drivers
55+fps in normal gameplay, mid-40's in towns

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 59hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: High
Global Illumination: High
Shadows: High
Far Shadows: High
SSAO: Medium
Reflection: Low
Mirror: High
Water: Medium
Volumetrics: Medium
Particles: Medium
Tessellation: High
FXAA: On, TAA: High, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Far Volumetric Quality: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 41%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-11 16:16 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

edit - if any of y'all know of any settings I could reduce to squeeze a bit more performance out of this game without hurting overall quality, please share!

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I replaced everything on my second computer and the only thing left is Windows. So I'm re-installing that now. I've installed Windows literally hundreds (if not thousands) of times, so that's not a big deal.

So all I had to do was completely reinstall Windows from scratch. At least I didn't spend any more money anyhow. Could have been worse.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tweaked some settings around to try and balance performance with quality, since high lighting makes such a difference in terms of quality.
My setup:
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 mobo
OC'd i5 6600k with the process lasso fix enabled
+200 core +600 memory GTX 1070 (8GB)
1440p resolution, Vulkan renderer, Gsync enabled, Vsync On, latest nVidia drivers
55+fps in normal gameplay, mid-40's in towns

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 59hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: High
Global Illumination: High
Shadows: High
Far Shadows: High
SSAO: Medium
Reflection: Low
Mirror: High
Water: Medium
Volumetrics: Medium
Particles: Medium
Tessellation: High
FXAA: On, TAA: High, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Far Volumetric Quality: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 41%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-11 16:16 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

edit - if any of y'all know of any settings I could reduce to squeeze a bit more performance out of this game without hurting overall quality, please share!
TAA bring it down to medium, the difference between high and medium is not noticeable IMO and can give you a few frames.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I also still don't know why they also haven't made this one on DX11 also.

Some modders or whatever from GTAforums before the launch said that DX11 would be there along side Vulkan and DX12 since they ''got'' the game early. Which goes to show that might have been nothing but lies.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a fix for the slow menu transitions? Takes forever to bring up the settings menu. I've tried deleting the settings folder and disabling v-sync, as suggested elsewhere, but no luck so far.