• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this how PC gaming has always worked? Developers make a game with a bunch of settings and enthusiasts pour over them and try and find what does what and how best to tweak them.

People have been spoiled by shitty direct from console ports with limited settings and minimal customization. Back when the PC was getting blockbuster exclusives, and not table scraps after the fact, this was the norm and it was awesome. There is absolutely nothing wrong with layers of settings that have various impacts on performance and fidelity. In fact more games should go back to offering this stuff in favor of the bare bones approach of recent years.

The best PC ports include descriptions, previews, and general performance implications of different settings. See Ubisoft games or Modern Warfare for good examples.

Some settings should have a strong warning beside them, like MSAA or Ultra water physics as they should currently never be used unless targeting 30fps with a high end GPU.

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
As explained before this is due to problems when engine limits are reached. Of course it´s not perfect and should be mentioned but this isn´t really a realistic scenario.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Game crashed twice on me so far after an hour or so. No temp or usage issues, just froze and closed itself. Otherwise getting a pretty solid 60 fps at 1440p, mostly high settings/ultra textures still. Chapter 2.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Been watching some comparisons on Youtube... So what's up with horrible looking fur shader in PC version? It looks even worse in motion. And it's not just this bear, but all fur, such as that on winter clothing, etc. Looks like some weird sampling issue. PS4 Pro fur looks the best to me, where as XBX looks a step down from PS4 Pro and PC looks the worst of the three platforms.

t0LYapQ.png
It is not horrible - it is better. There are only 2 settings for it, and Medium aligns with all console versions. It is using the alpha shell technique

Basically, the higher the output resolution increases their fidelity like hair fins. Likewise, increasing the amount of shell layers, makes them look more and more like full strands.
PC Hair High
pchairhighnwkxi.png

X1X Hair:
x1xhairzwjsr.png

PC Hair Medium
pchairmediumo5j5f.png

With less layers of shells (like on X1X or medium) you can literally see the shell/layer structure. And if held close to the camera, you can see the effect rapidly break down as it looks like Sif in Darksouls.
maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no clue what is going on between this game and Ryzen 3000 cpu's.

Two friends of mine have 3700X and MSI motherboards and were unable to run this game at all until today when they updated their bios to 1.0.0.4.
So logical reasoning would be 'okay, so if you have a Ryzen 3000 cpu your motherboard bios and AGESA must be 1.0.0.4 or above'

...except I own a 3700x on an ASUS Rog Strix B450-i that is running AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA and I have been able to play the game since day 1 with minimal issues... 1.0.0.4 isn't even available to my motherboard yet.

So I guess current advice is if you own an MSI B450 or X470 motherboard with Ryzen 3000 and are unable to launch the game... update your bios.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It is not horrible - it is better. There are only 2 settings for it, and Medium aligns with all console versions. It is using the alpha shell technique

Basically, the higher the output resolution increases their fidelity like hair fins. Likewise, increasing the amount of shell layers, makes them look more and more like full strands.
PC Hair High
pchairhighnwkxi.png

X1X Hair:
x1xhairzwjsr.png

PC Hair Medium
pchairmediumo5j5f.png

With less layers of shells (like on X1X or medium) you can literally see the shell/layer structure. And if held close to the camera, you can see the effect rapidly break down as it looks like Sif in Darksouls.
maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome findings! I can't wait to see your analysis!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Managed to get through a missing without safe mode post-patch. So fingers crossed. Either the bug is nuanced, or in my case it was having all of my saves full which seemed to mess with autosave.

Is there a full list of keyboard+mouse controls? I can't seem to figure out how to change ammo type in the weapons wheel.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Managed to get through a missing without safe mode post-patch. So fingers crossed. Either the bug is nuanced, or in my case it was having all of my saves full which seemed to mess with autosave.

Is there a full list of keyboard+mouse controls? I can't seem to figure out how to change ammo type in the weapons wheel.
Z and X while in the weapon wheel.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully you've already found this, but I've managed to fix my stuttering issues with the BES limiter talked about here:

Direct link: http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

I use that to limit the CPU percentage for RDR2.exe to -2%
This is what one of my friends runnning a 2500k did and he played the game ever ever sinces stutter free;

First, you have to play in DX12. Vulkan for those i5 is unplayable and cause the big hitching.

Now you have to download Process Lasso
Select RDR2 from that list, CPU limiter >

''When CPU use is'' > Set it to 98
''For a period of'' leave it blank
''Reduce by this many cores'' > Set it to 1
''For a peroid of'' > Set it to 1

Hit add rule, then ok.

Then after that set the game's prioirty to above normal and that's it. Anyone that gets those freezes due to the CPU spike can try this method.
I still have some freezing with this method, but it's better and I keep a consistent 50-60 via Gsync and it's great. They still need to fix this hitching with i5 CPUs

keku

Apr 23, 2019
How would a gaming laptop i7 7700hq 16gb & 1060 max q fair on this? I want med-high settings. I don't want to ruin my first play through, so I might wait till I can buy a new laptop next year if it I'll run at 30 fps or less

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It is not horrible - it is better.
That's debatable. In this particular case the art seem to be tailored for a lower resolution rendering on consoles and simply increasing the resolution may produce perceptually worse results.
Again, a case where switching this technique to something like TressFX instead of simply cranking up LODs/resolutions on it would probably be preferable for a PC version.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a CPU issue here. Obviously the game likes HT. It makes no sense that 4/8 would run better than 8/8. It also makes no sense that the 7700K has better low percentile frame times than an 8700K.

This is something that needs to be fixed.
It's not the only game like this. In my testing of Watch Dogs 2's performance scaling on a Ryzen 1700X, I found similar results. 8c8t had worse stuttering than 4c8t.

wd2-perf-7rkou.png

Game engines are weird. I've seen some other games which start to perform worse once they have more than a certain number of cores; e.g. running progressively worse on 6c6t and 8c8t than 4c4t.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
I'm curious how big can be the difference between 4K XOX and 1440p on PC with some of settings set higher than XOX settings. My GTX 1080 will not handle 4k but I want to get close do 50 fps @ 1440p with FreeSync. Have XOX but did not bought game so far...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Having to use an external program to stop these stutters.

Fucking hell, Rockstar. Never buying your games day 365 ever again.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

PC Hair High
pchairhighnwkxi.png

X1X Hair:
x1xhairzwjsr.png

PC Hair Medium
pchairmediumo5j5f.png

maxresdefault.jpg
Yes! It's a great technique, though I never knew results could look this good. It's also been used quite a bit in the Skyrim mod scene:

5514-0-1491525779.jpg

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a GTX 1070 and I play on a 1440p monitor. I pretty much expect to put this medium to play. I don't want to go back to 1080p.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Benchmark in this game is weird. Sometimes the camera doesn't pan. Sometimes Arthur runs slow like he just shit his pants. Now it is snowing in every scene.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That's debatable. In this particular case the art seem to be tailored for a lower resolution rendering on consoles and simply increasing the resolution may produce perceptually worse results.
Again, a case where switching this technique to something like TressFX instead of simply cranking up LODs/resolutions on it would probably be preferable for a PC version.
I really do not think it was arted to just look like medium (console). I think it is not an artistic question as to which looks better:
PC High Hair:
ultrafur2wvjuc.png

X1X:
x1xhair2a5j45.png

That does not mean I would not prefer another hair/fur technique - but arguing which is artist intended when the medium/x1x version produces results like the above... yeah I am not believing that.

Since when is less sample counts for an effect something we consider better?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Is dx12 busted in the new update? Game refuses the boot when i change API's after a restart and i gotta delete the configuration file to reset the settings back to Vulkan.

Jun 14, 2019

PC Hair High
pchairhighnwkxi.png

X1X Hair:
x1xhairzwjsr.png

PC Hair Medium
pchairmediumo5j5f.png

maxresdefault.jpg

i cannot count how many times you have to do this, and whats the betting serious sam will come back with something to undermine your post

when theres people on this very forum who find witcher 3 on switch better looking than xbox and pc versions etc then yea this is a lost causae,

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017

PC Hair High
pchairhighnwkxi.png

X1X Hair:
x1xhairzwjsr.png

PC Hair Medium
pchairmediumo5j5f.png

maxresdefault.jpg
I really do not think it was arted to just look like medium (console). I think it is not an artistic question as to which looks better:
PC High Hair:
ultrafur2wvjuc.png

X1X:
x1xhair2a5j45.png

That does not mean I would not prefer another hair/fur technique - but arguing which is artist intended when the medium/x1x version produces results like the above... yeah I am not believing that.

Since when is less sample counts for an effect something we consider better?
Don't know how it looks in motion, but to my eyes PC High hair is looking noticeably better in both captured scenes.

One could say that it looks blurrier but X1X also provides a kinda blurry look and in first scene wolf is moving towards characters IIRC so it would make sense.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok anyone else getting non stop error 0x20010006 when trying to go online? "You have been disconnected from Red Dead Online due to a fault in Rockstar Game Service.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
i cannot count how many times you have to do this, and whats the betting serious sam will come back with something to undermine your post

when theres people on this very forum who find witcher 3 on switch better looking than xbox and pc versions etc then yea this is a lost causae,

Can we not? LMAO!

I'm sorry, come again??

giphy.gif

Here ya go!

LOL!

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure im on average 50fps now instead of the nice 60 i had before but by god it is worth it for the full 1440p.

kYS0Xsb.jpg

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I
Textures are not that bad (on Ultra, at least) as some are complaining here. Obviously, a game of this scale will never look 100% pristine texture-wise (at least with the current process of creating textures) - but it looks quite good to me:

rdr2_2019_11_07_22_43ohkdw.png
I imagine texture mods will be some of the first things released (I hope)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no clue what is going on between this game and Ryzen 3000 cpu's.

Two friends of mine have 3700X and MSI motherboards and were unable to run this game at all until today when they updated their bios to 1.0.0.4.
So logical reasoning would be 'okay, so if you have a Ryzen 3000 cpu your motherboard bios and AGESA must be 1.0.0.4 or above'

...except I own a 3700x on an ASUS Rog Strix B450-i that is running AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA and I have been able to play the game since day 1 with minimal issues... 1.0.0.4 isn't even available to my motherboard yet.

So I guess current advice is if you own an MSI B450 or X470 motherboard with Ryzen 3000 and are unable to launch the game... update your bios.
It's not just Ryzen 3000, nor is it just MSI.

I've got a Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570 board and had to update from 1.0.0.3 ABBA to 1.0.0.4 B to launch the game.

Got a friend who has a 2000 series CPU with a older gigabyte board and updating the BIOS didn't help, still couldn't launch it.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Ryzen 3000, nor is it just MSI.

I've got a Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570 board and had to update from 1.0.0.3 ABBA to 1.0.0.4 B to launch the game.

Got a friend who has a 2000 series CPU with a older gigabyte board and updating the BIOS didn't help, still couldn't launch it.
The plot thickens.
In that case, I have no idea. Some PCs need 1.0.0.4 to run it, some can't run it despite being on that version and some can run it no matter what version. How the hell does that even happen?
Probably one of the most bizarre pc-game bugs I have seen in years.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why other Ryzen users are having issues if they haven't updated their bios. I'm on an Asrock x570 Taichi. Asrock has not released their 1.0.0.4 bios publicly yet but the game launches just fine for me using 1.0.0.3abba.

Someone earlier mentioned that Vulkan gives overall better performance. Some users have reported on reddit up to 20% performance gain while DX12 should give a more stable experience in terms of frame times. For myself it doesn't change a bit performance-wise but Vulkan introduces a camera stuttering bug while sprinting that I seen last in The Witcher 3 with GOG Overlay enabled. Really weird and doesn't happen with game pad or DX12. Must be related to keyboard inputs.

With all those diverging experiences I'd recommend to try out both.
Haven't played the game much yet, still in the snowy beginning parts. What I did notice is vulkan prevents VRR from working for me if I have vsync disabled in the game. DX12 doesn't do that.

Oct 27, 2017
...and out of nowhere the Windows Mouse Cursor (permanently on the screen and moving all over the screen independently of what you're doing with your character/camera in-game) has returned. Out of all the technical issues this one is the worst (if you can launch the game that is).