• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I sent a ticket to Rockstar about the i5 shit, I'll be requesting a refund if it isn't patched up by the weekend. And if they won't do it, I'll request a PayPal refund.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
I almost had a mental breakdown during the snowstorm mission (with custom settings i was ranging from 18fps to as high as 38) which is abominable, reminded me when I tried playing Cryostasis on my ancient 9600GT, turbulent time

But to get back to the subject, it all cleared up now, once I reached chapter 2, im now in 45-50fps and the game does not hiccup at all, which i love. Runs well id say, but they need to do something about the performance to be honest.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

ZLELPpa.png

Last edited:

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
For those who want to use Steam overlay, add RGL as a non-steam game, exit RGL completely and launch RGL through Steam to get the overlay, screenshots etc working. Running on max except water reflections msaa and msaa at 0 at 1080p pretty much 60fps average with some dibs on 2080FE i7 8700k and from an ssd on vulkan. Only bug I really have is that main menu graphically glitches all the time.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
So the benchmark is more intensive than the already intensive first snowy intro. Well damn...

Are any 1070 users able to get a stable 60 fps at 1080p with no jaggies?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I wanted to get in on this crap-fest so I bought it, lol. It was $11-12 cheaper to get it via launcher (3rd party authorized site + tax free) versus Steam for me and I don't have to wait an extra month + Steam requires the Rockstar Launcher to run anyway. But I'm not really sure how to drastically alter performance, with a 3700x and 1080 Ti I was getting like 45-55 fps at 3440x1440p using High + ultra textures but at least G-sync saves it. Will sometimes go over 60 fps too but it generally stays under that using DX12.

But I have no idea about Vulkan - I can't get it to work at all. It always crashes when trying to play the game using the Vulkan API when either starting the single player campaign or when trying to benchmark. I'm not sure if it is my CPU/memory, GPU, or 3rd party software. I tried putting my system on all auto, running my GPU at base speeds, and shutting down everything possible and Vulkan still crashed on me after getting a little bit further in (intro started to play). It's difficult to pinpoint as I updated to a beta bios on my motherboard and I'm overclocking my memory, so I'm not 100% certain they are stable (although they are stable when running stress testing software).

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Launcher crashing on startup, updated BIOS, updating drivers now.

B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 3600
RX 580

EDIT: Updated Drivers too, still crashing.

Last edited:

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Morning folks. Worked until midnight last night so I'm hitting this up for the first time having read all the horror stories while decrypting. Hit play for the first time and after the gunshot, I just get a black screen. No crash. I read that it may be HDR related but as I'm not crashing, I'm not getting the option for safe mode on restart. Can I force it with the launch argument? Is there any other work around? Cheers.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The game scales indeed. Even when having some advanced feature on, like Volumetric Raymarch Resolution or Long Shadows, just turning every ULTRA down to HIGH (except Textures and AF) is pushing average performance from 62 FPS to 80 FPS for me in the Benchmark (+29%).

That's the problem with us PC Gamers, we tend to die over ULTRA settings.
Some examples for ULTRA vs "HIGH"

HIGH (77 FPS)
ULTRA (63 FPS) +22%

HIGH (83 FPS)
ULTRA (64 FPS) +29%

HIGH (84 FPS)
ULTRA (64 FPS) +31%

And I'm pretty sure some things can be left on ULTRA in the first place. Some Settings seem to be performance killers, Water Physics is one of them. Whatever you do, do not set the slider for that over 50%.

Ultra + Water Physics 100% (40 FPS)
Ultra + Water Physics 50% (56FPS) +40%

We need more posts like this. Thumbs up!

Oct 27, 2017
Morning folks. Worked until midnight last night so I'm hitting this up for the first time having read all the horror stories while decrypting. Hit play for the first time and after the gunshot, I just get a black screen. No crash. I read that it may be HDR related but as I'm not crashing, I'm not getting the option for safe mode on restart. Can I force it with the launch argument? Is there any other work around? Cheers.
I had the same problem, and closing the game from the task launcher gave me the option to run it in Safe Mode. I had to disable HDR from the display settings to get the game to display correctly.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan is up to 10% faster for me
[Ultra settings, 1440p, converted into bad jpegs to save bandwidth)

vulkanfastera8j83.jpg

vulkanfaster29wkxn.jpg

Often enough it is also pretty similar

vulkansame3ak9n.jpg

But then there is this stuff, and this stuff is unacceptable. How can you ship the game and make Vulkan the preset, standard API? I don't get it.
Most people won't even check it out and complain about stutters and bad performance. Rightfully so!
And than some will switch to DX12 and always think: Maybe I wouldn't drop below 60 here with Vulkan, but it stutters.

stutter22ik6a.jpg

stutter3skk2y.jpg

I don't know. Going to work now. Maybe there will be a patch in a couple of days.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Is everyone playing on "Ultra"? "High" seems to be the better option performance-wise. Hopefully they'll fix the performance issues til December when the game releases on Steam...

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't even get in the game. It started the first time okay, and I restarted it and ever since then nothing. The new patch did nothing, still get the RDR2 exited unexpectedly error. Tried deleting the documents folder, reinstalling the game, rolling back drivers, changing resolutions, restarting my PC, verified the files, downloaded the patch. Pfff

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like I dodged a bullet by not buying it on implulse, I'll wait a bit and hopefully things have been ironed out in a month.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I don't know why, but I feel like there's a problem with my textures as well. Arthur's clothing looks way less detailed than they should....

reddeadredemptioniiscp3j23.jpg

That's what I kept telling people, the game didn't look impressive even in the 4K screens released by Nvidia or Rockstar. RDR2 looked great when it came out on consoles a year ago, now on pc it doesn't have the same effect, I feel the visual jump is even less bigger than GTA V ps4 to pc.

They can future proof all they want with ultra settings, it won't radically change the overall package, 5 years down the line and revisiting this with a better rig you'll appreciate the performance boost but you're kidding yourself if you think the game won't feel dated by then.

*Not counting mods.

Kinda but not really. This thread is a good example of why it's generally a bad idea to "future proof" your game by cranking up LODs to eleven instead of adding stuff which wasn't present on consoles in the first place. This way you'll just get abysmal performance with minimal visual benefits over consoles. The power of rasterization so to say.

I agree.

Last edited:

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
DirectX 12 mode randomly crashes for me but Vulkan is stable.

Edit: Hmm, anyone else found that G-sync has just stopped working with Vulkan? It was working fine all day but now after I've been switching between DX12 and Vulkan it only seems to work with DX12. It works fine in other games.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan is up to 10% faster for me
[Ultra settings, 1440p, converted into bad jpegs to save bandwidth)

vulkanfastera8j83.jpg

vulkanfaster29wkxn.jpg

Often enough it is also pretty similar

vulkansame3ak9n.jpg

But then there is this stuff, and this stuff is unacceptable. How can you ship the game and make Vulkan the preset, standard API? I don't get it.
Most people won't even check it out and complain about stutters and bad performance. Rightfully so!
And than some will switch to DX12 and always think: Maybe I wouldn't drop below 60 here with Vulkan, but it stutters.

stutter22ik6a.jpg

stutter3skk2y.jpg

I don't know. Going to work now. Maybe there will be a patch in a couple of days.

Huh how do you get the gauge-meter in Afterburner's OSD?

Spoonie

Oct 3, 2018
I'm having this weird issue if I hold down the shift to run, the game gets choppy with screen tearing, when I don't it's fine. I don't have windows sticky keys on...anyone get this?

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I messed with some settings it's a mixed bag of Medium, high and ultra and the game runs somewhat decent. I'd say around 50fps average? It does drop hard at times.

1080 I7 6700 and installed on a Samsung SSD

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm using MSI Afterburner with Rivatuners Statistic Server's On-Screen Display.
Here's a link to it on Guru3D: MSI Afterburner 4.6.2 Stable/Final Download

Rivatuner Statistic Server's OSD is included in the installer.

It's been working for me so far on a laptop with a Ryzen 5 3550H and a GTX 1650, as well as a desktop equipped with an i7 2600K and an RX 570, I'm also about to begin some tests on with a GTX 1080 Ti.

Wow... Saint Denis in the benchmark is basically ghost town... this is some insidious bull**it on R* end for pushing for better results on benchmark sites...

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you guys playing this with gamepad or mouse/keyboard? I initially felt the m/kb was good due to the mouse look on horse but swapping weapons with the mouse wheel is annoying as it still brings up the radial wheel. I tried different settings for running on foot and horse but overall the controls feel bizarre and I feel this game UI and controls are definitely a better fit for a gamepad.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised so many people still bother with in game bench marks, don't think I've run one since 2012. They're not even close to indicative of how the actual game runs half the time.

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
Turning off full resolution ssao and unlocked volumetric resolution got me a 7-8 fps bump. No obvious visual difference. With more additonal tesring the n3ar and far volumetric resolution settings from ultra to high nets another 5 fps or so. 10+ fps bump so quite good !

Last edited:

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Its funny how most benchmark sites have been using DX12 as the prefered rendering engine whereas Rockstar opted for defaulting to Vulkan. As a GTX 10xx owner I'd rather use the Vulkan renderer as DX12 is underperforming (as shown by the current crop of benchmarks) but the amount of bugs make it not a feasible choice.

- Holding shift or alt down whilst moving the mouse will result in stutter (workaround: use a gamepad)
- Bad frame pacing (workaround: frame cap with RTSS to a value which never exceeds 95% GPU usage)
- Crash to Desktop

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting around 90fps @ 1440p with most things ultra or high with a 2080ti and 9900k.

It sucks that the performance dropoff seems to be so steep and so sudden, though. Hopefully they get some performance patches out soon.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
After how incredibly good the ports of Max Payne 3 and GTA V were, I'm kinda floored that RDR2 is such a colossal mess. Not only is the game an unoptimized technical nightmare, but it defaults to a graphics API that doesn't work properly, and opens through a launcher that barely holds it together.

I'm just so, so disappointed. I was really looking forward to this.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is not unoptimised.

but there are lots of technical problems. Most of my friends can't even get the game to launch.