• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Sadly updating my MOBO BIOS and uninstalling and reinstalling everything Rockstar Social Club related still has not got me past the error when trying to launch the game. :(

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So yeah.. Rockstar Launcher has quit unexpectedly... Turned off Windows Firewall and Virus Protection, as thats the only antivirus I'm running, and still no luck. Tried updating my drivers, nothing. Anyone have any tips that might help?

Oct 27, 2017
I put in a refund request through epic because of the mouse thing. I couldn't take it any longer. Hopefully it's a valid excuse.
I'm not completely sure it fixed it or the mouse thing just randomly stopped but I verified the game files in the EGS (no problems came back) and now it's gone.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing an emulated game on PC, that's what this experience feels like currently.

So yeah.. Rockstar Launcher has quit unexpectedly... Turned off Windows Firewall and Virus Protection, as thats the only antivirus I'm running, and still no luck. Tried updating my drivers, nothing. Anyone have any tips that might help?

This happened to me when I tried to run the game in DX12 mode as the game won't start because of the error. My settings defaulted to Vulcan as the API though and it works fine.

Game settings are stored in "Documents" so maybe delete everything in the settings folder (it will regenerate when starting the game) and see what happens.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

This port is miserable.

What happend? After MP3 and GTAV I thought they finally learned.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to believe. They know the vast majority of PC players are on these "old" GPUs. If they didn't optimize the game accordingly, well, that's... fishy.
What's your explanation? When a D3D12 / VK game performs poorly on some specific GPU architecture its usually because of poor engine optimization for that architecture. It's not like Pascal is having issues with D3D12/VK in general.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
What's your explanation? When a D3D12 / VK game performs poorly on some specific GPU architecture its usually because of poor engine optimization for that architecture. It's not like Pascal is having issues with D3D12/VK in general.
My explanation would sound like a conspiracy theory and I don't want to start a shitstorm, especially since I have no proof. That's why I think someone with the right expertise should look into it.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
4k all settings at max except lights, shadows and volumetric at high. I have found in the benchmark @ 87.5% resolution scale I can get basically a locked 60. Few drops to 58. will drop res down to ~83% to have a solid lock at 60. Looks pretty much as sharp as native 4k on my 65" NU8000.

Back at work now will play the game and see how it holds up outside the benchmark.

Keep in mind my 2080ti is on water and overclocked and keeps a steady 2100/2115mhz @ only 40c while maxxed out.
So stock 2080ti on air with thermal throttling wouldn't be able to hold as well.

I did something similar for a 2080 and i5 8400 set up. Took the balanced settings, increased af to x16 and dropped water physics to 50% and set resolution scale to .80. I get 56fps avg in the benchmark except for one scene that stops upon loading. I'm hoping the game proper doesn't load like that.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Just testing on my nephews rig putting in performance settings on 1080p running a 1060 getting roughly 50 FPS . Looks and plays nice enough he is happy enough

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate about this port, well from how it sounds. Maybe things will turn around in the future.

Dec 17, 2017
These been posted yet?
index.php

index.php

index.php

Reasonably happy as a 5700xt owner.
Source: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
My explanation would sound like a conspiracy theory and I don't want to start a shitstorm, especially since I have no proof. That's why I think someone with the right expertise should look into it.
Why opt for a conspiracy theory when I've just gave you a perfectly reasonable explanation?

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Actual game is more demanding than the benchmark. The opening in the snow with lanterns and tons of volumetric brought my 1070 down probably into the low 20s at 1440p max preset. I've now brought my settings down to one notch right of the default balanced and have a decent frame rate around 30.

Edit: Oh man, water physics does seem to have a huge impact on frame rate!

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Wow performance took a huge nosedive after you set off for the new camp and you travel with the whole gang to the new place. Not getting above 40fps...

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
1080 Ti being around the level of a 2060 Super. Is this going to be the norm with newer games?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was released with a whole pile of performance bugs that get fixed in a few months. I wish websites bothered to retest rather than just using the launch version of everything.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Two questions:

1. How do I get rid of the mouse cursor? Can't find an option for it.

2. Is there a fix for random freezing and stuttering? I'm running a 1070 with a i-6600k at medium high settings at 1080p. Performs great generally, but the longer I play the more consistently I'll get random freezes that last anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I feel like it's not a settings problem, because otherwise the game performs fine and changes in settings don't do anything to it. How do I fix this? Could it be a CPU problem? Bringing up task manager shows my CPU is at 90+% while the game is running.

Can anyone help with either of these?

syndrom101

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Sadly updating my MOBO BIOS and uninstalling and reinstalling everything Rockstar Social Club related still has not got me past the error when trying to launch the game. :(
I've had the same problem. What did the trick for me was to go to my user profile -> documents -> Rockstar Games -> Red Dead Redemption 2, and then delete the benchmark/settings/profile folders. Restart the game, the deleted folders will be generated again and the game should start. It worked on my side. EGS version, win 10 with the latest updates.
Setting the game on DX12 reintroduces the error again. In order for it to work again, I then have to redo the steps above.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
After playing for last hour and watching the performance the game is just intensive and not badly optimised.

Settled on 1080p with a 1080ti at a solid 60fps with a few ultra mostly high and some medium. Seems like 1440p is just on the cusp of being a solid 60fps bit dips at times and I am happy to settle for the sold framerate in exchange for the slightly softer look.

The game looks stunning though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I held off buying this at launch.

I'm not too versed in the quality of R* PC ports. Do they have a history of fixing issues?

Or is this overblown and the fame is just demanding?

2080 / 2700x owner, gaming at 1080.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So disappointed that the launcher crashes whenever I try to start the game. I really hope Rockstar fixes that fast

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm so glad I held off buying this at launch.

I'm not too versed in the quality of R* PC ports. Do they have a history of fixing issues?

Or is this overblown and the fame is just demanding?

2080 / 2700x owner, gaming at 1080.

It's a bit of both. The game is in many ways broken on start with people reporting everything from not getting past missions to save files disappearing, crashes, not starting at all, fps drops, stutter menus running at a couple of fps. Usually Rockstar fixes their problems eventually, for example GTA V was running pretty well from the start from what I can remember.

I'd wait for the Steam launch and then buy it.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pascal is very close to Maxwell
Not exactly weird to see 2014 tech "struggle"/being less optimized for on some newer games

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So a suggestion on Reddit for the freezing/stuttering issue is to go into task manager and disable a CPU core for the game and that seems to have worked for me? Need to test more but as soon as I re-enabled them all the freezing came back immediately.

EDIT: Not a complete fix but seems to have at least reduced frequency.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I've had the same problem. What did the trick for me was to go to my user profile -> documents -> Rockstar Games -> Red Dead Redemption 2, and then delete the benchmark/settings/profile folders. Restart the game, the deleted folders will be generated again and the game should start. It worked on my side. EGS version, win 10 with the latest updates.
Setting the game on DX12 reintroduces the error again. In order for it to work again, I then have to redo the steps above.
Thanks didn't work for me though. Game has never launched for me so I only had the profile folder and deleted it didn't work. I don't have the EGS version.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That benchmark chart is for DX12, I'm getting much better performance with Vulkan now after the patch. I'd be curious to see if Pascal performs closer to Turing in Vulkan.

Jordyn11

Oct 31, 2017
Getting the launcher crash here as well. Tried all mentioned steps with no luck so far. Waiting for a fix I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I switched to DX12 and restarted the game, now it won't start up and I get an error message.

What a messy fucking launch.

To get back to the default Vulcan API you can go to Documents, find the Rockstar Games folder, then RDR2 and delete everything in the Settings folder. This will allow you to at least start the game again with all the original default settings. Switching to DX12 doesn't allow me to launch the game either.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pascal is very close to Maxwell
Not exactly weird to see 2014 tech "struggle"/being less optimized for on some newer games
Um... 1080Ti was consistently in top 4/5 spot in GPU charts and trading blows with the likes of RTX 2080 and RTX 2070 SUPER up until RDR2, but suddenly it's trailing below RTX 2060 SUPER and is merely 12th among the fastest GPUs? You gotta be kidding me with this 2014 tech excuse.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
To get back to the default Vulcan API you can go to Documents, find the Rockstar Games folder, then RDR2 and delete everything in the Settings folder. This will allow you to at least start the game again with all the original default settings. Switching to DX12 doesn't allow me to launch the game either.

Thanks. Hopefully all this shit will be ironed out in a day or two, but this launch in infuriating. This game was like my major purchase for the month and to not be able to play it smoothly or at all is just baffling.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
B450/Ryzen people with issues starting the game: update your BIOS. Worked for me!

The launcher was constantly crashing, no matter what (absurd) fix I tried. Nothing worked. Updated my BIOS (from August) to the latest drivers (29 October I think) and now I can start the damn game.

Which AGESA version did your bios update go from and to? Currently on 1.0.0.3 ABB here and ASRock hasn't updated it since August on my B450M Pro4.