• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
How can you tell it isn't?

Gotcha.

/s

But yeah, he really said that.

The simple fact that this thread is still open (OP never came back, but who cares right?) and people can just say whatever they want should tell you enough.

Ah, so it has already been asked. Well, since there are very little information available on sales, I would say that the willingness (or lack thereof) of developers to keep their games EGS exclusive might be indicative of general sales performance. If I was a developer and my game was selling well on a store that gives me a better cut then I would keep it exclusive to that store. If developers that signed on with EGS have become convinced that customers will indeed 'follow the games' then I would expect them to not release on Steam at all.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, so it has already been asked. Well, since there are very little information available on sales, I would say that the willingness (or lack thereof) of developers to keep their games EGS exclusive might be indicative of general sales performance. If I was a developer and my game was selling well on a store that gives me a better cut then I would keep it exclusive to that store. If developers that signed on with EGS have become convinced that customers will indeed 'follow the games' then I would expect them to not release on Steam at all.
The clearest example of this phenomenon is Hades. On launch, Supergiant Games pledged that they'd wait until the game reaches 1.0 before releasing on Steam, a process they estimated would take 18 months to reach.

It's launching on Steam Early Access in a couple of days, conspicuously on the first anniversary of the EGS release.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Peak is now pretty much confirmed for 41,300. Might change in future post-sales and updates.

Seems to have performed as expected vs it's reception. Fallen Order had the same amount of options for purchase, was received far better and reached 55k, without largely staggered launch, but is also likely to be ever green as it was unknown how good the game would be.

So...what now?

xCxJdqz.png

Why is everyone rushing that people bought it on EGS when you could actually buy it directly on R* store? Oh nevermind.

People bought it everywhere, there's no question about that, but obviously OP had poor insight and potential an axe to grind.

No way of telling where most copies were bought, whether RSL, EGS, Steam, Retail / RSL Keys. We can guess that it is highly likely that RSL got the most 1st month sales with its extremely better offering and pricing in most territories, and drawing some comparison to GTA V also having exclusive RSL retail / keys.

The bad press from the issues that game has, mixed reception from users vs GTA Vs positive reviews out the gate, higher minimum requirements vs average spec of most systems when compared to GTA V ridiculously scalable version, and RDR being untested on PC, are all factors to consider in how well the game has sold amongst all methods

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The clearest example of this phenomenon is Hades. On launch, Supergiant Games pledged that they'd wait until the game reaches 1.0 before releasing on Steam, a process they estimated would take 18 months to reach.

It's launching on Steam Early Access in a couple of days, conspicuously on the first anniversary of the EGS release.

Exactly. We may not have concrete sales numbers but developers' actions speak louder than words.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
wzAP7la.png

Looks like it only lost to Halo & Index.
I guess it would be higher if all versions were combined to single entry.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I will say that these days I'm generally more inclined to buy a game from whatever storefront it originates from as I've grown to find scenarios where multiple launchers are running to be kind of annoying.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Ah, I didn't know this. The money ran out, I guess, and they need an additional source of sales.

Now that he has direct sales data from a year of being on the EGS, I wonder if Greg Kasavin will take another temp exclusivity deal for Supergiant's next title. I imagine the next sweetener that Sweeney offers, if he even does make an offer, won't be as substantial.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the initial numbers are something like RGL, Steam, then EGS. That will eventually turn to Steam, RGL, EGS unless Rockstar gives higher discounts in the future on RGL.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Ah, I didn't know this. The money ran out, I guess, and they need an additional source of sales.

Now that he has direct sales data from a year of being on the EGS, I wonder if Greg Kasavin will take another temp exclusivity deal for Supergiant's next title. I imagine the next sweetener that Sweeney offers, if he even does make an offer, won't be as substantial.

Why would Sweeney even make an offer? 88/12 should be enough incentive, no?

Real talk: Sweeney only takes nearly-done games that have potential. He will know if the game was worth the exclusivity and Supergiant's next game is probably 2 to 4 years away. Sweeney won't care about Supergiant for a few years, or ever, if the game bombed.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I figured the initial numbers are something like RGL, Steam, then EGS. That will eventually turn to Steam, RGL, EGS unless Rockstar gives higher discounts in the future on RGL.

I don't really see steam becoming the best selling version quickly, if ever. There are still a substantial amount of people that buy keys from third party sites or at retail because of generally better prices. And these keys will all activate on RGL

If we look at witcher 3 for example, it took a very long time for the steam version to catch up to GOG due to this.

The same will be true for EGS, unless the third party/retail keys activate on that launcher, it's very unlikely to be the best selling version.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Real talk: Sweeney only takes nearly-done games that have potential. He will know if the game was worth the exclusivity and Supergiant's next game is probably 2 to 4 years away. Sweeney won't care about Supergiant for a few years, or ever, if the game bombed.
Yes, 88/12 should be enough incentive. That was the entire plan, get a critical mass of paying users via exclusives and let the 88/12 split do the rest.

Where are all the devs and pubs lining up to get their game on the EGS, though, if the 88/12 split is enough?

Why is Supergiant launching on Steam 6 months early, if the 88/12 split is enough?

If EGS sales were sufficiently healthy, why the hell would I cough up another 18 percent for no good reason?

Dec 14, 2019

88/12 isn't enough for exclusivity deals. Sweeney is probably paying publishers and indie developers huge amounts in order to secure exclusivity.

Dec 14, 2019

88/12 isn't nearly enough for a store that isn't prefered by most PC gamers. If Sweeney didn't pay them, they would be better off ignoring EGS completely and just go for a Rockstar Launcher exclusivity. Most publishers want their game on Steam because of its popularity and enormous player base. Even if Valve offered 88/12 Epic would probably continue to pay for exclusivity.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Another week, another top 3 position. And first time beating Halo.

cWm1OWX.png

Ngmp2la.png

qN6KGFE.png

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My finger hung over the buy button last night, but I want to be sure.

Realistically it's my most wanted game right now. It just means blowing all of my Steam credit on one game. Ugh.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More than 52000 players today. That`s a new peak.

Yah certainly tally with what Valve officially reveal. It has between 50000 to 100000 simultaneous players.

And that's not even the brief launch spike.
While the other lists are based on commercial success, our Most Played list highlights games based solely on player count. The Most Played Games list includes any game that had more than 15,000 simultaneous players at some point during 2019. In order to highlight games that have built large player bases, we've excluded brief spikes in player counts due to things like giveaways and free weekends.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must admit I think it kind of sucks to see so many people willing to buy a game that took money to skip the vast majority of PC gamer's preferred store front upfront like this. Of course, it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If the game sells poorly, you get drivel like the OP. If it sells well, you teach the companies that they don't lose anything by taking those offers.

Dec 14, 2019
I must admit I think it kind of sucks to see so many people willing to buy a game that took money to skip the vast majority of PC gamer's preferred store front upfront like this. Of course, it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If the game sells poorly, you get drivel like the OP. If it sells well, you teach the companies that they don't lose anything by taking those offers.

I agree, but it also proves that bunch of players are willing to ignore EGS to get the game on Steam.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There was no point in buying it on EGS anyway, and rocky start made it easier to wait till the Steam release.

Wait a sec.

Rockstar did not make it easier to wait for Steam.
For starters they forced everyone to use their launcher regardless, so that right there had plenty of discussion about just buying from Rockstar because it didn't matter. Rockstar also offered free games and an upgrade for buying it directly from them.

Epic put the game on sale before it was even on Steam, and even now it's $10 cheaper on EGS.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty amazing that this game only had 12k CCU on Steam launch and yet it goes on to have 5x that a month later

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

That's why I'm buying it on Steam. I'm going to make sure Valve gets a cut of Rockstar's money.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty amazing that this game only had 12k CCU on Steam launch and yet it goes on to have 5x that a month later

Not just this game. Many PC games tend to have significantly longer legs due to different buying behavior, cultivated by the vastly superior backward compatibility. Anyone who's judging PC sales in 1 or 2 days is either terribly clueless about PC gaming, or has an agenda to push, or both.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the current Sales / CCU would be much higher if it wasn't for those release shenanigans. Titles like this will still sell well over a longer period of, lets say 5 years. But the amount of buyers that bought it on release-day without a discount is much lower than with a normal release. People that already waited for the Steam release can also wait for high discounts. Volume wise it will do fine, revenue wise you'll notice a huge dent. I expect the same to happen with Borderlands 3.

Edit for comparison: it took RDR2 two weeks to get a 20% discount. GTA5 was undiscounted for over 9 months.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that several months has transpired, I guess its safe to say that things has stabilized. If we take a look now, the game sees a 55k+ peak 3 months ago, and current concurrent users are 21k, which is 9K more than the initial peak in the OP.