• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you double dipping?

• Yes

Votes: 521 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 365 28.3%
  • This is my first time playing the game

Votes: 405 31.4%

• Total voters

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Ah, good old "not reading more than the headline". The Nvidia recommended GPU article literally says that "if your GPU is not listed here, there are still 40 different graphics options to play with". So everyone on 10xx cards can rest easy, I'm sure you can find a setting that gives you a good experience.

The game on PS4 Pro settings looks gorgeous already which I assume is something like medium settings. So there is no need to cry about it being poorly optimised because they are not being able to play it on Ultra settings. Ultra should be excessive settings that require the best GPU and results in differences that are hard to see in anything but screenshots.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great minds think alike!

giphy.gif

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If anything it can be seen as a good thing because it could be an indication that they actually made some significant improvements from the console version and also future proofed it.

Getting a mediocre port that mid range cards can max out with ease isn't what I want to be honest.

This is all fluff until we actually get the game and see what the settings do.
I've seen plenty of mediocre games that perform and look bad on consoles and a PC port didn't change things that much, so better to set your expectations accordingly, heh.

Benjargon

Mar 27, 2019
Anyone else bought it from Eneba?
Still no preload key... :(
I got it just fine. You should wait for a bit, the game just came out. It might take a while. My friend bought CoD:WW2 not long ago and he had to wait a full business day to receive the key. It doesn't happen always, but sometimes the key doesn't arrive immediately. If you won't get it by tomorrow, just contact the support.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I dunno why people have to have Ultra at 4K, i bet Xbox One X is a mix of Medium/High & those settings it's already the best looking game this gen, Medium/High at 4K/60fps shouldn't be impossible.
Dictator will show us the light anyway.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
People always asking for more and more out of PC gaming and always complaining that weak console hardware holds things back but then they get upset real quick when a dev future proofs a game and their precious gpus can't slay Ultra settings any more, whatever Ultra means in a particular game.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Once you reach Chapter 4, would you mind making a backup of your save file for me, please? I'd really appreciate it.

I can do that but that could take a while because I will focus more on Online this time because i finished story on PS4. So if someone else is going for Story first would be better choice.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
People always asking for more and more out of PC gaming and always complaining that weak console hardware holds things back but then they get upset real quick when a dev future proofs a game and their precious gpus can't slay Ultra settings any more, whatever Ultra means in a particular game.
Right now it's more Nvidia holding PC gaming back, the 2000 series is a minor leap, feels more like a refresh. By late 2019 we should have had a GPU that was twice the performance of the 1080 Ti, but oh well.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this always made me chuckle. It was the same with install size, so many complaints about 150GB and PC gamers always demand super ultra high res 4K 8K 16K textures, yet expect install sizes to be the same as it was 10 years ago.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess before worrying too much, people should also consider that I'd imagine these tests were carried out with founders edition cards considering it was Nvidia? Most buyers will have pre-oc'd aftermarket cards and I'd imagine some will have oc'd their cards themselves so in both cases people's cards will likely perform a bit better than in those tests.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yup, this always made me chuckle. It was the same with install size, so many complaints about 150GB and PC gamers always demand super ultra high res 4K 8K 16K textures, yet expect install sizes to be the same as it was 10 years ago.
Most of that is uncompressed audio & FMV's due to Consoles amazing cpu's. That complaint is valid & with ryzen cpu's in next gen consoles along with SSD's, install sizes better go down a bit.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'll soon buy a laptop with an i7 9750H and a RTX 2070, 32 GB RAM. 1080p 144 Hz screen. What can I expect in terms of performance?

Won't get the game until the Steam launch tho

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If they went for super high resolution volumetric lighting that alone would kill performance. The god rays looked pathetically grainy even on the 1X version.

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Has anyone pre-purchased the game from Rockstar? I did it yesterday but neither RDR2 nor L.A. Noire (the game I picked as pre-order bonus) are showing up as games I own in the RGL.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I can do that but that could take a while because I will focus more on Online this time because i finished story on PS4. So if someone else is going for Story first would be better choice.

Ah, cool, no worries. then. I asked some people on the RDR2PC Discord, but I guess a save editor would be the ideal solution for me.

Hopefully it's a feasible thing to do and the experts can come up with it sooner, rather than later.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
I'm so glad I waited for the PC version. Still have to finish Life is Strange 2 next but in December I'll get the Steam Version. Good to have nearly 3 weeks off in December.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Right now it's more Nvidia holding PC gaming back, the 2000 series is a minor leap, feels more like a refresh. By late 2019 we should have had a GPU that was twice the performance of the 1080 Ti, but oh well.

Rasterization improvement from 1000 -series to 2000 -series is pretty standard leap for gen to gen improvement. Some people just are delusional and still expect 50% to 100% performance improvements from gen to gen. Even node shrinks don't deliver that anymore.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Rasterization improvement from 1000 -series to 2000 -series is pretty standard leap for gen to gen improvement. Some people just are delusional and still expect 50% to 100% performance improvements from gen to gen. Even node shrinks don't deliver that anymore.

Exactly. The 1080 Ti was an exceptional generational leap in processing power from the 980 Ti. While we would all love that to happen for every generation, it's not going to.

To give you an idea, the 2080 Ti is about as large a chip as is possible on the current node. The full size Titan RTX was barely any faster, which is why we never got the rumored 2080 Ti Super. Nvidia needs a die shrink along with architectural improvements to bring a more powerful card and also to make it cheaper to produce.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Have you noticed performance between the 980ti is roughly comparable to the 1070? I have a 980ti, and generally benchmarks on the 1070 are pretty close to my own performance, just wondering how you feel about it having both cards.
Yep, pretty much same as you.
Has anyone pre-purchased the game from Rockstar? I did it yesterday but neither RDR2 nor L.A. Noire (the game I picked as pre-order bonus) are showing up as games I own in the RGL.
Mine showed up instantly.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Damn, I bought an LG C9 two weeks ago but just now I'm reading that the European models are yet to receive the firmware update that enables G-Sync ("later this year"). Oh well... at least I'll see the difference then.

C9 club, assemble! I'm hoping to receive mine next week. Dying to play this, fallen order and death stranding gloriously.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rather disappointed the game releases just as I start my shift at work. But at least I have something to look forward to by midnight.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I bought an LG C9 two weeks ago but just now I'm reading that the European models are yet to receive the firmware update that enables G-Sync ("later this year"). Oh well... at least I'll see the difference then.
GSync is already available for European models. The update was pushed to my C9 last week.

Nov 2, 2017
The problem was that the prices also increased with the same % as the gain in performance, meaning if you look at price points & not at product names the leap was almost 0.

The last 2 gen we had much bigger jumps. This combined with the fact that Nvidia basically skipped a year resulted in certain expectations.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018

It's fine, mine doesn't show up as 'G-Sync Compatible Display' but it definitely works all the same. Fear not, your european C9 will work with G-Sync before the official C9 firmware lands.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
So what's the best way to buy this right now? And is the special edition worth it?

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen truckloads of people who bought from RGL and don't recall any complaint like that. Did you get a receipt on your email?

And then the real wait begins (decryption)
I hope theyre not mad ... is the whole game encrypted ? Thats gonna take at least 1 hour on a regular HDD

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
C9 club, assemble! I'm hoping to receive mine next week. Dying to play this, fallen order and death stranding gloriously.
High five! It's a fantastic experience.

GSync is already available for European models. The update was pushed to my C9 last week.
It's fine, mine doesn't show up as 'G-Sync Compatible Display' but it definitely works all the same. Fear not, your european C9 will work with G-Sync before the official C9 firmware lands.
But how do I know? The "Set up G-Sync" option didn't show up in my Nvidia control center. I have a 1060 card and the latest driver, so all requirements should be fulfilled. Do I need a HDMI 2.1 cable on top of that?

I got that recent C9 firmware update, too, but was thinking it didn't include G-Sync support yet.

Oct 27, 2017

But how do I know? The "Set up G-Sync" option didn't show up in my Nvidia control center. I have a 1060 card and the latest driver, so all requirements should be fulfilled. Do I need a HDMI 2.1 cable on top of that?

I got that recent C9 firmware update, too, but was thinking it didn't include G-Sync support yet.
Pretty sure it's Turing cards only. :/ All the RTX cards, plus the GTX 1660.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The problem was that the prices also increased with the same % as the gain in performance, meaning if you look at price points & not at product names the leap was almost 0.

The last 2 gen we had much bigger jumps. This combined with the fact that Nvidia basically skipped a year resulted in certain expectations.

Not how it works.

Performance increase isn't tied to price increase or vise versa. NV is jacking up the price because they can (AMD isn't even trying to compete thanks to defunded dGPU R&D), but raw rasterization increase from gen to gen has kept same steady step of increases.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
If I hear people complaining on here about putting this game to ultra and running "below 60 fps" and it being "bad" or something, I will flip shit.

Please be smart, Era, please.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018

Ah, that's your problem. It's only for 20XX and 16XX cards. It's not for 10XX cards I'm afraid. :(