• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, I just finished RDR2 last night. (Or at least reached the epilogue, but I believe my point stands regardless) It took me dozens of hours, all crammed in the short period between the game's release - and the end of the year, where it will be spoiled mercilessly in GOTY conversations.

As somebody who enjoys talking about games as much as playing them, RDR2 has felt like an albatross around my neck all Fall. New games have debuted, and repeatedly I've put them to the side because I wanted to invest enough time into Rex Dead. I've enjoyed damn near all of it a lot, and it's going to be near the top of my GOTY list.

It's a shame, because RDR2 feels like a game that is designed to be savored. You can spent weeks of in-game time between missions, finding new content in the wilderness. The game begs you to take it slow at every opportunity, because that's when it really shines as an open world.

And yet, I rushed. As did many people. So I have to wonder - would RDR2 have been more enjoyable (and more widely enjoyed) - if the game's chapters had been released episodically? Say, one a month from May to November. The full open world would be available to paruse between chapter drops - and players would have been able to establish a pace of play that better fit the game itself.

It's also not just a matter of needing more time. Fear of spoilers has convinced me to sprint through games that have released way earlier in the year. Establishing a set pace of new content would help to put everything on a more manageable schedule, and keep the game fresh. It would also allow Rockstar the ability to make necessary changes as people give their new impressions.

I know episodic release schedules aren't super popular - but I can't help but shake the feeling that it would have made this game far more engaging.

akuarius87

Oct 30, 2017
Mexicali
I think you might be wrong, when the story gets good you really not want to stop. I think its a game you shoul finish at your own pace, but making it episodic doesnt seem like good idea.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Long ass game with episodes that releases every month/month and a half? No thanks. I got burned in the last 3 chapters and got very tiring so I rushed. Wasn't afraid of spoilers because I know very well how to avoid. A game that is huge as RDR2 has no place in being episodic. This isn't Life is Strange nor any of Telltale games. It doesn't make any sense

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dude, just play it episodically on your own. No need release a game that way for everyone else.
Just take your time with it. It seems like the biggest issue you take is you can't listen to other people talk about it until you're done. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be spoiled but you can avoid listening to conversations about it until after you beat it. Even an episodic game could get spoiled if someone completed it before you, so that's not a fix for your problem either.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with that but I can see your point.

YouTube spoiled me the ending a few days after release which is because of how long the game is and because I am bored of the gameplay so I pick it up here and there to finish. Had it been episodic it would have probably fixed the spoiler problem for me.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's an extraordinarily bad take.

Besides, like others have said, you can play it episodically by exerting a modicum of self-control, if you really wanted to.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Then you should stop caring about spoilers. Knowing something doesn't diminish enjoyment when you play it.

Yeah you're definitely not the odd one out from the rest of society on this one.

An episodic release schedule for this game would have caused this forum to have an absolute meltdown.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No offense but in this climate you have to be picky with your game experiences.

This was a grand experience for me. I finished Spider Man PS4, and Spyro and most of AC Odyssey before i started RDR2. And when I did start RDR2, I put in over 80-90 hours into its main story and single player content. It took me from Oct 26th until like the first few days of December. I savored it plenty.

Some ppl fell in a trap where they started it while playing 5 other games and did not dedicate enough time to it. It is a personal problem.

Oct 27, 2017
I do believe episodic gaming works well in some contexts, Life is Strange, Hitman, etc.

I don't think it would have worked here at all. Part of the problem is that it gives you this giant open detailed world and there's this weird imperative that you should do everything, but I did nearly all side missions and the main missions only, stopping to help random strangers of course, and after a certain point largely ignored hunting or other extra tasks and it didn't impact my game at all. I was able to finish it at a decent pace without feeling like I rushed, because I started to treat the immense amount of things you could do as stuff I may want to do, not stuff that I should do.

Breaking this game into episodes would cause a real divorce from the narrative journey. If I was recommending the game to a new player, I would honestly say to do one play through focusing on primarily main missions, and play them back to back (though I would mention a few Choice side missions that are worth seeking out), or at the very least once you hit chapter 3 focus only on the story. The sense of urgency the game develops around that time until the end is fantastic. The sense of desperation and decay starts to set in, and breaking that up with weeks or most likely months in between chapters when cause me to care little about that sense of urgency when I return to it.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nah. Episode 5 would cause people to write the story off for good.

I feel like the one maniac who genuinely loved Chapter 5. It's such a wild diversion, and took all your tools away from you at just the right moment.

Then you should stop caring about spoilers. Knowing something doesn't diminish enjoyment when you play it.

I've never understood why some people insist they know more about how much spoilers impact my enjoyment of a game than I do.

Oct 25, 2017
g1hla09cbm321.gif

Absolutely not. Some argue that the pacing is off in the game, now personally I'm not of that opinion.
But could you imagine if you're just getting to the good/intense bits of the story and it cuts off?
It wouldn't work.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't think it would improve or decrease anything from the game, we watch seasons of Game of Thrones one episode each week for years and even then you could say there's bloat seasons and uninteresting episodes. RDR 2 is just like that, your favourite long series with boring moments within the great ones.

Scattered them as you want, You'll probably feel the same.

Feb 10, 2018
User Banned (2 Days): Threadwhining across multiple threads
Oh jeez another RDR2 thread....

Just messing up the gaming section with a zillion threads for one game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, what? With all that exploration you would forget everything that happened in previous episode.

It would be better as more linear experience though, like Max Payne 3.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Well ... You didn't need to rush it.

This argument that something should have been episodic because you can't help yourself and rush it is always funny to me.

Develop some self control, people

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Episodic games are barely even a thing these days. Especially for action titles. You might as well ask for a guitar hero spin off of red dead music.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I've never understood why some people insist they know more about how much spoilers impact my enjoyment of a game than I do.

I mean, you're the one that rushed through games for fear of spoilers. Maybe if you didn't fear them, you didn't hadn't feel the need to rush through a game and you would have played them at another pace? Is that too much to assume?

Edit. Anyway, to add (and avoid derailing the thread to another 'spoilers' discussion). I don't think episodic would have worked neither. Most of episode games are very contained in their design, there's no open-world episodic games because I don't think there's a way to make them work.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I got burnt by the game way too fast myself. It is certainly good and deserves its praises, but man did it drag on after a while. And if you were to do it where you release parts of the story through an episodic format, you would only burn people all the quicker.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people do that? Race through games so they can be part of GOTY conversations? I get why journalists have to do that, but why would anyone else do that? For me GOTY lists are nice to check for games I didn't otherwise consider playing, but I'm not going to quickly play through Spiderman so I can discuss its GOTY merits. That sounds awful. And would make any game less enjoyable to play.

Racing through RDR2 would certainly suck. The game is a total slow burn, like any good western should be. Being episodic might force more people to play that way, but I like to play games at my own pace. So I always wait until all episodes are out before I'll touch a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people do that? Race through games so they can be part of GOTY conversations? I get why journalists have to do that, but why would anyone else do that? For me GOTY lists are nice to check for games I didn't otherwise consider playing, but I'm not going to quickly play through Spiderman so I can discuss its GOTY merits. That sounds awful. And would make any game less enjoyable to play.

Racing through RDR2 would certainly suck. The game is a total slow burn, like any good western should be. Being episodic might force more people to play that way, but I like to play games at my own pace. So I always wait until all episodes are out before I'll touch a game.

It's definitely a slow burn up to a point, but after that point, and then that point that comes just a little bit later, I feel like it's actually much better to play the missions in fairly quick succession. Sticking around hunting in the woods or going back and forth all over the map to mop up a bunch of side missions that you've been putting off really grinds the pace to a halt and conflictual the sense of importance and impending doom that starts to set in.

I think that's part of the reason some side missions become unavailable after a certain point, I actually think it makes sense that they did it that way.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mean, you're the one that rushed through games for fear of spoilers. Maybe if you didn't fear them, you didn't hadn't feel the need to rush through a game and you would have played them at another pace? Is that too much to assume?

Edit. Anyway, to add. I don't think episodic would have worked neither. Most of episode games are very contained in their design, there's no open-world episodic games because I don't think there's a way to make them work.
My point is more that I find spoilers deeply damaging to how much I enjoy the game and the story - and yet countless people will take the time to say 'well ACTUALLY, you enjoy it more'. As if I'm just wrong about my own opinion.

I agree that no game has done an episodic game in the open world genre - but I feel like if anybody has the pedigree to figure it out - it's Rockstar.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean. I tried to take my time but at the same time felt rushed. I was in constant fear of getting spoiled so while I did a lot of stuff on the side, I would have loved to move at an even slower pace. I got spoiled with the ending of GTA5 back then cause it took me almost a month to finish, I didnt want the same to happen with RDR2

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
No, it would just make me wait for it to all be out. (Like LiS2)
I want to play it at my pace, if that means a mega session to start with trialling off to barely managing to finish like I am now, so be it.

Self control helps, also a bit of a break has helped for me.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
My point is more that I find spoilers deeply damaging to how much I enjoy the game and the story - and yet countless people will take the time to say 'well ACTUALLY, you enjoy it more'. As if I'm just wrong about my own opinion.

Yeah, I apologize for trying to tell you how to feel. And by bringing a topic that it's not all that related to your OP.

I agree that no game has done an episodic game in the open world genre - but I feel like if anybody has the pedigree to figure it out - it's Rockstar.

Maybe we can see their attempt on RDOnline. Currently, there's a couple of missions that feel like Episode 1 of a story. If, during a long time, they keep updating with a batch of missions every now and then, they could be seen as "episode" of the overall story. Tho, the nature of RDO being GaaS, should mean that there's actually never an "ending" as it should keep going forever.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
OP I'm sure you're a nice person but I am glad Rockstar didn't decide to go down the path of your "genius" idea. It always amazes me how so many hardcore gamers actively ask to get screwed over.

The thought of getting up to a certain part of the game and having to wait for the next episode sounds really unappealing. It's so arbitrary and unnecessary.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This episodic trend needs to fade out already. Also, why don't you take your time with it? Why do people feel the need to finish the game in a day is something I I'll never understand.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I played it over the course of two months and enjoyed it immensely. I put everything else on the back burner but it was worth it. Have no idea how people beat the game in a week and actually had time to enjoy the experience.

Oct 30, 2017
Hell NO.

Screw episodic idea hope this trend ends soon and for good.

Give me my games as a whole package from start to end to experience it the way and the time I WANT.

If you want episodic experience then feel free to pause the game for months or weeks after each chapter.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I started RDR2 on the day it came out and only just finished the epilogue two days ago. I took my time with it and explored the world at my own pace and then dipped into main missions when I felt it was the right time.

Never been a fan of the episodic model where you have to wait weeks/months for the next chapter to release, so you don't have a choice but to put the story on hold until it comes out. It takes me out of the story when I'm forced to wait like that. At least with RDR2 you can play as quick or as slow as you want, but the whole story is there on day 1 for you.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No, it wouldn't work. I think episodic games work for stuff like Hitman. Not even Telltale games should've been episodic. Only stuff that could be played over and over again fit the episodic model.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Of course it can. Books / movies / games don't all start with a quick synopsis of the major plot events to come for a reason. These things are developed with secrecy in mind, scripts being under lock & key - and NDAs signed - for a reason.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could just not rush through the game. I did that on my first playthrough but my second one has been so much more enjoyable.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find those reasons to make it episodic silly. It ain't that hard to avoid spoilers. And the rational fear of them is not a rational reason to drastically change the pacing of the story and the experience of the game.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to rush just because the game released all at once. You can still take your time to enjoy everything.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Eh... just be happy they dropped a meaty single player cuz the game plan's to just focus on multiplayer post launch.