• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, RDR2 on PC at higher settings is something else man, especially if you can get locked 60fps. One of the best looking games on PC.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I played through RDR2 on PS4 Pro and have it on PC on a high end system. The absolutely huge difference that 60+ fps gives the game is that everything is way more responsive and that really helps with the Rockstar staple sluggish movement.

The second thing is that on consoles the aiming is incredibly awful. The game has the absolute worst autoaim system ever created where instead of invisibly guiding your bullets to where you were intending to hit, it will move your crosshair there. This makes it feel just completely rubbish.

Meanwhile if you do manual aiming you can never configure the aiming so that it works well for long, medium and short distances. It usually becomes completely impossible to hit targets at shorter distance.

PC solves all that with mouse aiming or using gyro aiming with Steam Input. If hitting things on horseback was impossible in motion on console without resorting to auto aim, it's totally fine on PC.

So for me the improved visuals are not the main reason to pick PC for RDR2, it's the improved control.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
For Jedi: Fallen Order there's not a huge difference between the lowest and highest settings on PC, so the biggest benefit is that you won't have to choose between performance and quality mode... you'll just get both. RDR2 on the other hand looks significantly better on PC. Most of the graphical settings go well beyond what's available on console, and you can play it at 60 fps. This is of course assuming you have adequate horsepower.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Played a huge chunk of Jedi on PC at launch(never finished), it was maxed out and my FPS was regularly over 100, but it still stuttered for some tech issue that EA never fixed that impacted many. Not unplayable but irritating, and I dropped it waiting for a fix that never really came(or a 30-series card I still can't get).

Double dipped on PS5 this week out of curiosity of new patch(on sale too) and it is largely 60fps with some minor drops I've noticed, but it looks close or near identical to how I recall on PC. Plus HDR is a bonus since I didn't have a capable monitor on PC. Oh and I have nice headphones on PC, but the surround audio is also damn impressive on console in living room, if you have a capable setup.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The 1X version of RDR 2 looks extremely good but the PC version is a significantly better looking if you've got the hardware. Most notably with the shadows, volumetric lighting quality and near endless draw distance.
Those sound like things the average gamer wouldn't even notice though. I have myself been wondering what it looks like on series X. Too bad Hitman 3 is around the corner.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Like 2.5k-3k I can put in. I have a 77cx. I wasn't considering a PC until I played Red Dead 1 with the series X update. I want all my old games to look this good.

Alright fair enough that certainly is quite a lot and you should really be able to build a PC that would satisfy the needs for high visual fidelity, which does not necessarily mean everything maxed out as some settings evidently have diminishing returns with a negligible visual impact. RDR2 is an old game, but its demand on PC certainly aren't XD. Also, there will be nothing stopping you to get the best visuals today as you're not reliant on how devs would optimize their games on consoles + waiting for next-gen patches regarding older games.
I do not advise you to put >2k into a new pc though as the highest end components are not worth it, imo.

(1) The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 OT | ResetEra

I would also advise buying a 1440p monitor in case you'd like the best balance as of now regarding performance (fps) and visuals (resolution), for the times when someone else may be using the tv (?).

XFactor

Banned
Jan 2, 2020
Finished RDR 2 recently and honestly I think it's the best looking game of the past generation. Especially if you play it on high-end PC.

rdr2_2020_12_22_00_02u8kzi.png

rdr2_2020_12_23_06_16k9k39.png

rdr2_2020_12_24_04_42iuktf.png

rdr2_2021_01_11_04_3216kpb.png

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Alright fair enough that certainly is quite a lot and you should really be able to build a PC that would satisfy the needs for high visual fidelity, which does not necessarily mean everything maxed out as some settings evidently have diminishing returns with a negligible visual impact. RDR2 is an old game, but its demand on PC certainly aren't XD. Also, there will be nothing stopping you to get the best visuals today as you're not reliant on how devs would optimize their games on consoles + waiting for next-gen patches regarding older games.
I do not advise you to put >2k into a new pc though as the highest end components are not worth it, imo.

(1) The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 OT | ResetEra

I would also advise buying a 1440p monitor in case you'd like the best balance as of now regarding performance (fps) and visuals (resolution), for the times when someone else may be using the tv (?).

Op has a 77cx which is a $3500 oled tv. I'm sure he can afford a 2k-3k pc without draining his life savings. Lol

With such a nice tv, you should pair that with at least a nvidia 3080 and a ryzen 5800x.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how this would run on a Ryzen 3100 / RX580?

I have this unopened on PS4 (to play on PS5) so once I've finished Last of us 2 I was gonna jump into RDR2 but if my PC can run this better than how this will run on a PS5 I'll sell and buy the PC version.
1080p 60fps with medium settings. Much better than the PS4 version until it gets a PS5 patch.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
As far as pretty graphics go, I don't think RDR2 is that much better on max settings than consoles. HOWEVER, you get a lot more options in terms of antialiasing and sharpening and playing above 30FPS which is pretty huge in terms of responsiveness.

As far as I know, Jedi FO looks pretty good and has performance issues everywhere.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, anyone run RDR2 on a 2080S/i9-9900KF and could give optimal settings for either 1080/1440?

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
playing rdr2 on a console and then on a high pc end at 4k@60 is like playing doom eternal on a ps4pro vs playing on a switch.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
RDR 2 is pretty much tied with Cyberpunk and TLOU 2 for best looking game of all time. It's better looking than pretty much any linear game out and it's a massive open world game.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Fallen order is probably one of my best PC games graphically. It is optimized like poop tho. It's more than playable and all that but it has less than ideal framerate issues that you just have to deal with. I assume all versions of the game experience the same thing tho.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
let's not say crazy things lol

ok maybe slightly exaggerated, but the difference between playing rdr2 at 30fps vs 60fps cannot be overstated. Its a big difference and makes the game so much better.

If rockstar updated rdr2 on consoles to support ps5 and it runs at 60fps, then i would be less inclined to recommend the pc version as the console versions still look pretty damn good.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they have the usual benefits you get from PC releases, from higher res and fps to better quality effects. It's up to you to decide how much you value those benefits.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
RDR2 fully maxed in ultrawide is a complete different game compared to consoles.

I finished it on the PS4 pro and played a bit on the one X.

Now I'm playing it again on my 3090/5900x combo in ultrawide and I can't believe how different the game looks. The increased FPS make also a massive difference.

However, I also have to admire R* for what they achieved on last gen consoles.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Those sound like things the average gamer wouldn't even notice though. I have myself been wondering what it looks like on series X. Too bad Hitman 3 is around the corner.

Why do people keep referring the SX for this game? Isn't it identical to the 1X with marginally smoother frame rate in Saint Denis?

The "average gamer" probably doesn't notice much of anything when it comes to this stuff, not sure how relevant that statement is. If you can't notice a difference between the console and PC version of RDR2 then I have to question if you're paying much attention. Then again I've seen time and time again people claim they never saw a bad texture or poor geometry in FF7R so I guess it's not all that uncommon.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Why do people keep referring the SX for this game? Isn't it identical to the 1X with marginally smoother frame rate in Saint Denis?

The "average gamer" probably doesn't notice much of anything when it comes to this stuff, not sure how relevant that statement is. If you can't notice a difference between the console and PC version of RDR2 then I have to question if you're paying much attention. Then again I've seen time and time again people claim they never saw a bad texture or poor geometry in FF7R so I guess it's not all that uncommon.
Im saying those specific things you mentioned I don't think the average person cares about much, not taking a shot at what you said, just saying it sounds like something that you would have to look for in order to notice. But I could totally be wrong and correct me if I am, it wasn't meant to be interpreted as fact.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Op has a 77cx which is a $3500 oled tv. I'm sure he can afford a 2k-3k pc without draining his life savings. Lol

With such a nice tv, you should pair that with at least a nvidia 3080 and a ryzen 5800x.

Haha, I know, but still xD. I know people who went all out on their PC purchase only to regret that later on because 1 year later their highest-end GPU would be half their value...
But alas, It's OP's money :p.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not bizarre at all considering the question. A low midrange PC could perform worse in these specific games despite running better than console on other games.

Well yeah but that's the most obvious thing ever and doesn't really need to be said

Obviously the OP isn't asking how it looks on pc low graphics settings

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Well yeah but that's the most obvious thing ever and doesn't really need to be said

Obviously the OP isn't asking how it looks on pc low graphics settings
You'd be surprised what people who aren't as familiar with PC gaming would think. ...and what they may think is capable of running games at higher settings vs what actually can. These particular games may not be capable of running on high settings on their PC. It's always best to start at the base level and work your way up as opposed to just assuming everyone who asks a question already has expertise.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Funny this thread started these are the two games that I used to test out my 3080 Strix manual OC. Red Dead at 60fps 4k is bonkers. Different game than PS4. Even Ultra at 1440p 80fps is nuts.

Star wars does look a lot better at 4K running 60 FPS as well. I'm playing these two games just to compare with what I played on console before, it's not even close.

Then I tried Control with everything turned on, so worth every penny

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I was playing Read Dead 2 on my GTX 1060 PC and it was fine so on Series X I think it'd be amazing. Of course PC will always be "better" - If it had cross saves I'd have bought it again on Series X and continued on that. I've basically stopped playing my PC now but I don't want to start that game all over :)

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
If any game needs 60 fps, it is RDR2. And if you have an LG with VRR, and a 3080 you will be in heaven. I play it on ultra at 70 fps roughly 1800p. I turn down the resolution slider to get over 70fps.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I played RDR2 at launch on X1X, and that looked good! But one of the first games I played when I built my new PC (RTX 3080/5900x) was RDR2, and I cranked everything to Ultra, and it looks insaneee.

Can't speak to Fallen Order, although thinking of giving it another playthrough via Game Pass on Series X, after playing at launch on my last PC.

Samurai 47

Jan 6, 2018
United States
Since no one metions it, one of the benefits of PC version is that you can use Reshade, an injector to enhance the graphics further more. And with better graphics setting, better FPS, better resolutions, RDR2 on PC no doubt is the best.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 on PC looks fucking ridiculous

Im saying those specific things you mentioned I don't think the average person cares about much, not taking a shot at what you said, just saying it sounds like something that you would have to look for in order to notice. But I could totally be wrong and correct me if I am, it wasn't meant to be interpreted as fact.

You 100% are wrong lol

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
You are totally wrong yes.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I'm not really on board with people who are like "it looks terrible on PS4 pro", it obviously does not. It's a good-looking game no matter what, but as the videos show, the resolution bump (or maybe it's being able to disable whatever keeps blurring shit) on PC helps a lot.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, PC version Fallen Jedi Order looks better, although it still has the stutters. I played the game originally on a 9900k/1080 Ti. After I got the XSX, I fired up the Game Pass EA Play XSX version. It looks pretty good for a console game, but then I fired it back up on my PC(now with 3080) and it really is night and day maxed out on a G-sync monitor.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
PC version at 60 fps and turning up the graphical quality of areas that did not hold up on console (volumetrics + draw distance) makes the game look quite a bit better. As always, i find it hard to believe anyone can even play the gameaat 30 given the Animation priority and input latency.

Jun 17, 2018
I played through RDR2 on my Series X and even though it hasn't been optimised for the platform, it's probably the most impressive looking game I've ever played. It has great IQ and it's amazing that they got it running on the CPU. If you can get 60fps then I'd suggest PC since the aiming on consoles isn't great unless you enable full auto aim.

I remember Jedi looking pretty awesome on One X but it had some really weird technical issues such as hitching and these stutters. I imagine the Series X likely brute forces its way through those issues.

Jan 21, 2019
Yup, RDR2 on PC at higher settings is something else man, especially if you can get locked 60fps. One of the best looking games on PC.

Just imagine what Rockstar can do with the PS5/XSX. I really hope another Red Dead is their swan song for the current consoles. Let them test the tech in the next GTA and perfect it in the beauty of Red Dead.

PC version at 60 fps and turning up the graphical quality of areas that did not hold up on console (volumetrics + draw distance) makes the game look quite a bit better. As always, i find it hard to believe anyone can even play the gameaat 30 given the Animation priority and input latency.

I actually played a lot of it on my TV with motion interpolation jacked up. I could get 4K30FPS on my GTX 1080 while it looks like 120FPS. Funnily enough, it works with this game since the lag is so bad, another 100ms don't change much of how it feels.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
For the Jedi update on next gen consoles I was expecting at least some graphical upgrades besides higher resolution/framerate. I thought it was a no-brainer and they could simply enable better textures/draw distance/lighting/shadows, etc., but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

As always, i find it hard to believe anyone can even play the gameaat 30 given the Animation priority and input latency.
Yeah, some people have low standards. Some would probably be fine with sticking to 240p as well.

60 fps makes PC miles better.
It also makes Miles (Morales) better.

(:

Last edited:

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Managed to get one the last time Best Buy had them 2 weeks ago thanks to a tweet from Wario64. Now to get the parts around it to build the PC.

I've never gamed on a PC though so curious to see what kind of difference I'll see compared to consoles.
I have a 3090 hooked up to a 65CX and my eyes are bleeding tears of joy, games like Star Wars, DOOM, RDR2 on 4K Ultra 60-120 fps are glorious.

Playing star wars now everything ultra and get between 70-120 fps, even on a medium CPU, not sure it's a bottleneck though.

Also i play with an Xbox Series X/S controller in my couch, so it's just a beefier console.