• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
Possibly the game of the generation for me, which is totally unexpected because I'm not a huge fan of R*, but RDR2 is way too good.

The Last of Us Part2 might take it's place but RDR2 will still remain one of the GOATs.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Average price per copy would have been over $60. Only the more expensive versions got official sales and small ones at that. The revenue must be off the charts. Are we looking at something alone the lines of $1.7BN so far?

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But... the controls?...

Joking, it deserves those sales and it's one of my favorite games this gen. Well done Rockstar!

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a large number but I honestly expected something truly silly like 40 million after three months on the market, the massive ad campaign, the crazy MC scores and the all around general praise, especially considering Smash sold over 12 million copies on a single platform with a much smaller install base in just over three weeks.

Still, great numbers though. Congratulations to all the developers who gave so much of their lives to bring the World of RDR2 to life!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolute monster, and well deserved, it's one of the best games this generation. Congrats to everyone who busted their ass on it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Congrats Rockstar. Every sale is well deserved.

RDO is head and shoulderd ahead of what GTAO offered at the beginning, but more things to do would be appreciated

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wonder what the online retention will be like. I have a hard time imagining as many people enjoy playing it regularly as people do playing GTA:O. But I've never played either so who am I to say?

I hope the success of the game encourages them to remake the first game as stand-alone DLC. I imagine a fantasy campaign like Undead Nightmare is more likely but that's not what I want the most. Then again, if online play and retention is strong, will they bother with single-player DLC? The success of GTA:O caused them to deprioritize that kind of content for GTA:V. I wonder what it means for RDR?

I guess it's kind of fun to imagine how they will support RDR2 from here because there are a lot of different possibilities and only some I'm interested in.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Good stuff. I rushed through the game to avoid spoilers and I'm hoping for a PC port so I can really take my time with it. This game begs to be played with a mouse for aiming.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see this. Well deserved and I really would love a RDR3 at some point down the line, so this is nice to see. The RDR games suit my tastes more than the GTAs do.

Also glad to see the push back on this thread against the contrarian backlash against the game. It has its faults, but in totality its one of the best games of the generation.

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I wonder how well the online is retaining players, because anecdotally it's doing much worse than the GTA Online launch at that aspect.

Anecdotally, I played GTA Online for 2 or 3 years after launch, almost on a daily basis, until the inflation reached bolivarian republic levels and the game became a Saints Row wannabe, and just a couple months after it was released I think I'm done with RDR O

It is just not fun

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Kev's Fast take:

Good quarterly bookings. Ahead of consensus. EPS not so much. Q4 guidance below consensus tho fy higher. Red dead sales great but monetization is not quite what expected. May ramp.

Stock down double digits.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
All that munneh is gonna flair up Rockstar's lumbago after carrying all the cash from GTA Vs 100 million sales.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Top 3 of this generation for me and that's saying something. I'll admit that I was worried pre release that the games single player would have been an after thought after the success of GTAO. Happy to be proven wrong and got to experience this masterpiece. Now for GTA6...

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"But but archaic mission structure!!!"

A near perfect game with an excellent storyline, improving the already great story of RDR1.

I really couldn't have asked for more. It's completely deserved.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Nice!

Totally deserved, and I hope Rockstar continues to not give a fuck about online crybabies who dislike the game.

And I am surprised about the online thing, there is barely any content so far. I wonder when it will exit beta phase.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how it keeps performing going forward. For instance the PlayStation Store sales charts for January just came out and it was barely in the top 20 in Europe and was #7 in the US.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the issues i had with it i ended up loving it. The highs were so high that they washed away any misgivings i might have had. Great game.
Yeah that's me too, I dislike the controls but I love everything else, enough that it's hard to play other games without thinking that it makes every other game look rushed.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Have we had any reports on the staffing finances since the launch period? What were the goals for their bonuses etc? Hope they all ended up making bank, I remember the reports that the employee bonuses were pretty hefty at R*.

Also JEFFREY GRUBB Bioshock Infinite is sure doing well for itself huh.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised by the latter half of that title. Who is playing that boring, grindy online mode, lol.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
No surprise. A Rockstar game will always sell. I'm not convinced it's purely because of its quality, as it does have many problems. But I'm glad all that hardwork was worth it for them.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

RiXAJ1m.gif

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of the best games ever made. R* deserves all of this.

I am surprised the Online is successful though. Barely any content in it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise. A Rockstar game will always sell. I'm not convinced it's purely because of its quality, as it does have many problems. But I'm glad all that hardwork was worth it for them.

It is clearly because of its high quality. Why else would a wild west game sell this much? It's not a very popular genre. Every game has problems of course.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved for the SP.

But who plays this bullshit Multiplayer?

It's been a little better after the initial rush. Haven't heard/seen as much racism or toxic attitudes in general, and the reduced grind was very welcome. The varmint rifle is still stupidly effective the last time I played.

Overall it leaves a whole lot to be desired, but I'm sure they'll add more meat to it eventually.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
We
Gotta
Have
More
MONEY~

Great to hear. I hope it sells even more throughout the year. Support Red Dead Redemption!

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games of the generation for sure. I haven't even tried RDO, doesn't seem like my thing. I don't believe it'll maintain interest tbh, but Rockstar has its ways.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Great story telling and word. Too bad the controls suck ass and freedom is an illusion. The online portion is straight up garbage and a money grab.