• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Minimum Specifications:
  • Processor: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Recommended Specifications:
  • Processor: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Official specs req from site

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know this sounds stupid but...

The 30fps didnt bother me on PS4 Pro. The game is very cinematic (even the trailer is letterboxed) and 30fps fits. 4K 60fps breaks this illusion quite a bit. xD
Can we please stop with this "low frame-rates make it more cinematic" BS? It's to the point of sounding just as dumb as the "we only use 10% of our brains" crap people like to quote all the time.

Lower frame-rates in games are objectively worse. That is a fact.

I'm not going to get into the technical details and reasons why a game is not a film and they shouldn't be compared in this context, or why a film is perfectly fine at 24 FPS and a game is not as it has been explained 1000 times over in many different places.

Subjectively, you may not personally be bothered by it and that is perfectly fine. If it does not bother you, then that's great and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the game on the PS4 Pro.

Games are not films.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
At what resolution? At 1080p you should easily hit 60fps, perhaps even at 1440p.

Keep in mind that you don't want to max every single setting as some settings can look identical between ''Very High'' and ''Ultra'' but have a 10-15 fps difference.
I'd like to run it at 4K (it's so crispy), but yeah some 'ultra' settings aren't a huge leap over very high so I'll have to check each one.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
This game is mind blowing on the X already, I cannot wait for the PC version. Those soft shadows without dithering look amazing. And the best draw distances in a game just got better from what I can tell.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What's the common suggestion - get through chapter 2? 3? before worrying about going out into the world for free exploration? I'm PC-only so I tuned out most of the discussion last fall.

You can actually play it however you want and I wouldn't follow some "Best of" recommendation IMO.

When I Said "slog through the first 2-3 hours," A lot of the early parts of the game are tight and controlled. The early missions are slow, the region you're in is a claustrophobic region, and you're not "Doing cool shit" in those first couple hours. Coupled with the tanky controls and unresponsiveness on consoles, I think it set a bad taste in people's mouths who aren't really totally into the Rockstar games recipe, so they'd give up on it. Make no doubt, you can go and explore right after the first mission, but the game really discourages you from doing that mostly in how the world is designed and where they first drop you. In some ways it's kinda too bad that the game puts you in this extended tutorial at the beginning and you want to say, like "Can't rockstar design a better start to their games??" but honestly, the first area, how oppressive it is, and the general theme of that experience sets the stage for the rest of the game and I think think once you play through the game you can kinda appreciate that more.

A lot of people have decided if you want to do a lot of the ambient side-stuff the best time to do that is ~Chapter 3, but honestly, I think there's something special to discovering each region along with the story when it brings you there. While there's perks to doing the exploration, hunting, collecting, trading, etc., you can also play through the game without doing any of that stuff and it's it might be nominally "easier" or give you mroe abilities if you have specific perks or something, but you don't need them to complete missions in a satisfactory way.

Overall, though, I think there's a lot of guides/tips of "This is the best way to play Red Dead Redemption!!" and I think you should ignore or throw out all of them, and "just play it." In open world games there's that anxiety about " I don't want to miss something! I want to be a competionists!" or "I want to level up by guy with the best abilities before Mission X so I'm prepared!" but honestly, I think it's best to just wing it and do what you want, don't play to a guide. If you want to be a completionists and 100% the game, then sure that's probably the only way to do that efectively, but honestly, I think if you're focused on that percentage counter it ends up kinda spoiling the point of the game.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

It is pretty much the same as GTAV accomplished last gen. Polished up it look very respectable on PS4. However I reckon geometric detail on terrain / topography can be increased quite substantially. Death Stranding already has better terrain geometry. A lot of the geology in RDR2 still comes across as fairly blocky, particularly cliffs. However, I think the density of stuff on top of the terrain, trees, etc. helps mitigate this. the LoD is a massive achievement in this game, and great LoD seems to be more and more common in open world games now, which is aweosme.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This looks amazing! I already tried the game one the Xbox One X and it wasn't really for me - but this looks unbelievably good!
Hopefully it's well optimized and if they bring the multiplayer to a point, maybe I'm gonna dive in.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What's the common suggestion - get through chapter 2? 3? before worrying about going out into the world for free exploration? I'm PC-only so I tuned out most of the discussion last fall.
Tutorials basically go all the way through the end of Chapter 2. I'd bulldoze through all of that as quickly as possible

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Did the patch to improve the controls also affect single player? Or was it online only?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

The game opens up at Chapter 2, and I'd say that's where it's at its best, but you only really start getting money midway through Chapter 3, so you might be a bit limited in what you can do/buy.

I defintely wouldn't rush Chapter 2 to get to Chapter 3 though.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fingers crossed the game is well optimized and I can run it well on my trusty i5-6600k and 980ti combo.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love that we live in a world where an immensely detailed open-world in native 4K at a smooth 30 fps is the console baseline that the PC version is being improved upon. Like, holy crow.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Can't wait for the Digital Foundry's hour long take on this game.... There's so much lol

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First one I'm gonna grab is the input latency fix like they did with GTA V PC.

4K + 60 fps + k/m aiming + 0 input lag is gonna be glorious.

Something i'm really wondering about is the mouse controls. Like take the way you can pull out the revolver by gradually pushing down the right trigger slowly. How are they going to emulate that on pc? Otherwise i'm also super hyped about it. RDR2 gunplay but actually playable free aim? hell yeah

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be new new benchmark, the same way GTA V has been a constant benchmark for hardware reviewers. I plan to play it at 1080p 144hz this fall, but I will re-visit it when I finally get a 4k monitor in a year or two.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Still won't beat Metro Exodus without RTX, still an insane achievement tho

Won't double dip due to how stupid the story and the AI is, that being said enjoy first timers on PC, the game world in this is something else. Most satisfying one to explore since Skyrim, easily

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing. I still think it's a huge missed opportunity to not remake RDR1 in this engine.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I played the xbox one x version over the summer. What a mistake. My PC will crush this game to pieces otherwise.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I would probably double dip if I could carry over my save from the PS4 version as I still haven't finished it. Is this something Rockstar have done in the past or am I out of luck?