• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
RDR2: PC gamers can finally enjoy, at higher frame rates, resolutions and details, the derp controls, boring missions and treacle-like movement of the protagonist in one of the most disappointing games of recent years.

Happy trails!

Plum

May 31, 2018
If Epic had got the "1 month" exclusive if would have been announced by Epic themselves...It didn't happen. We saw Epic paying for several months exclusivities and being properly announced by the company.

It makes way more sense Take Two using this launch the viability to prescind Steam on the PC platforms like any other top publisher in the industry than rather believe Epic spending a truclkoad of money on a 1 month excluisivity they didn't even bothered to market it.

Epic didn't announce the deal because Epic is not the dominant party in the deal and, as such, they would not have been able to negotiate terms that meant they get exclusive rights to marketing the game over Take-Two's own launcher.

But your argument makes little sense even if you're right and deals between major corporations can't have more than one singular factor to them. For one, if this were a test then why wouldn't Take-Two just launch it exclusively on their own platform? Epic takes a lower cut but it still takes a cut, and that's even more the case for Stadia (30%), GMG, Humble, etc, so why are they launching with those when, as you say, they're a top publisher who doesn't actually need any of them.

Also if this were a test then why would they make it a month instead of the 6 or 12 month 'tests' that you think every other publisher is doing? 1 month is barely any time to get accurate data for how successful your game could be on a platform long-term yet you believe they can fully determine that Steam is the past by it? Why not make it permanent?

The fundamental question here is: What reason is there to keep this insanely-successful game off of Steam and Steam alone for a singular month?

Though, frankly, you've already called people paranoid so I'm not going to continue any further. When you believe the other side are paranoid conspiracy theorists then nothing that side can say will change anything.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2: PC gamers can finally enjoy, at higher frame rates, resolutions and details, the derp controls, boring missions and treacle-like movement of the protagonist in one of the most disappointing games of recent years.

Happy trails!
A lot of people don't complain about GTA5's controls on PC for a reason my dude. The fact that the game is moddable changes quite a bit.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You realize that games with higher sales potential do cost more to get "exclusivity" for, right?
woah, really?
(a game where the Steam release date got also announced ahead of the launch btw).
it absolutely did not. they never mentioned the word Steam. the fact that Rockstar specifically mentioned Steam is a red flag that there was no Epic deal
It is literally the exact same case this time like with all those other EGS exclusive deals just that we're talking about
It's literally not
1 month bought exclusivity (or more precise "non-steam time") instead of 6 months or the usual 12 months. You are asking (rhetorical?) questions that got all answered in other use cases
no, they absolutely didn't because those questions did not apply to those other use cases. this is a completely different situation. no publisher has announced an imminent Steam release date while launching the game on multiple other platforms as a part of an "exclusivity" deal with Epic. this situation doesn't benefit Epic. it doesn't hurt Steam either. the only person it helps is Rockstar, as it will drive some traffic to their launcher for day one sales with a higher share without affecting their main RDR2 PC revenue driver, Steam. Epic gets overshadowed and no one buys the game on their store. you can't address that fundamental point. there's no use arguing with you about this. you selectively quote sentences out of context and argue only against one or two points without addressing the larger argument because there's no argument to be had. Epic paying for this type of arrangement would be absurd, as they are the people that lose out. you are letting the strength of your feelings about Epic cloud any understanding of their rational self-interest

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
System requirements are gonna be interesting, hope I can hit 60fps with at least PS4 quality settings but even with the work they've put into RAGE I'm not gonna get my hopes up, I'm probably not going to do a system rebuild (really needed on the CPU end) until next year.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic didn't announce the deal because Epic is not the dominant party in the deal and, as such, they would not have been able to negotiate terms that meant they get exclusive rights to marketing the game over Take-Two's own launcher.

But your argument makes little sense even if you're right and deals between major corporations can't have more than one singular factor to them. For one, if this were a test then why wouldn't Take-Two just launch it exclusively on their own platform? Epic takes a lower cut but it still takes a cut, and that's even more the case for Stadia (30%), GMG, Humble, etc, so why are they launching with those when, as you say, they're a top publisher who doesn't actually need any of them.

Also if this were a test then why would they make it a month instead of the 6 or 12 month 'tests' that you think every other publisher is doing? 1 month is barely any time to get accurate data for how successful your game could be on a platform long-term yet you believe they can fully determine that Steam is the past by it? Why not make it permanent?

The fundamental question here is: What reason is there to keep this insanely-successful game off of Steam and Steam alone for a singular month?

Though, frankly, you've already called people paranoid so I'm not going to continue any further. When you believe the other side are paranoid conspiracy theorists then nothing that side can say will change anything.

For one, if this were a test then why wouldn't Take-Two just launch it exclusively on their own platform?

The Rockstar launcher is new which means, probably unstable to a flock of users downloading a massive game, but the biggest reason is userbase. It just launched so clearly lacks the number of users. EGS is the second biggest store, it would help not only in terms of visibility but also provide it large number of users. (Probably scared of a Bethesda like fail)

Also if this were a test then why would they make it a month instead of the 6 or 12 month 'tests' that you think every other publisher is doing?

Honestly....probably to evade a lot of angry people send lots of angry emails. Also first month, in terms of "lets see how well we do" is more than enough, games like RDR2 gets a lot of sales on it's first month, that's enough data to determine the future strategy of Take Two on the PC.

What reason is there to keep this insanely-successful game off of Steam and Steam alone for a singular month?

Because Steam cut is clearly a nuisance for the mega publishers like Take Two. Epic's cut is the lesser devil.

The thing is that EA, Ubisoft, Activision all of the top publishers in the industry are leaving Steam behind, Bethesda tried and failed, but be sure it will try again. So the question here is: What makes more sense, that Take Two, the publisher of one of the strongest IP's in gaming and one of the biggest publishers wants to follow the trend on abandoning Steam like its peers to have a higher cut and win more money or that Epic spent a lot of money on a 1 month exclusivity that they can't announce as "exclusivity", which has very little value for Epic just to spit on Steam?

Take Two trying to ditch Steam is just the logical step on the PC gaming market. This is Take Two saying to Steam "it's over", Epic is just a convenient companion to help them.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
no, they absolutely didn't because those questions did not apply to those other use cases. this is a completely different situation. no publisher has announced an imminent Steam release date while launching the game on multiple other platforms as a part of an "exclusivity" deal with Epic.
That's another blantant lie.

this situation doesn't benefit Epic. it doesn't hurt Steam either. the only person it helps is Rockstar, as it will drive some traffic to their launcher for day one sales with a higher share without affecting their main RDR2 PC revenue driver, Steam. Epic gets overshadowed and no one buys the game on their store. you can't address that fundamental point. there's no use arguing with you about this
Again: the question isn't whether or not Epic does successfully benefit from a deal or if they successfully do hurt Steam - the question is still whether or not Epic paid R* to delay a release on Steam. Pretty much everything indicates that the answer is: yes.

you selectively quote sentences out of context and argue only against one or two points without addressing the larger argument because there's no argument to be had. Epic paying for this type of arrangement would be absurd, as they are the people that lose out. you are letting the strength of your feelings about Epic cloud any understanding of their rational self-interest
Your "larger argument" is mostly based on misinterpretations and false assumptions (like the deleted tweets which you absolutely ignored for some reasons). I personally do not care where or when RDR2 gets released on PC but you shouldn't outright claim false statements.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's another blantant lie.
it's spelled "blatant," but you should provide evidence that i lied or withdraw. calling someone a liar because they disagree with you is extremely childish
Again: the question isn't whether or not Epic does successfully benefit from a deal or if they successfully do hurt Steam - the question is still whether or not Epic paid R* to delay a release on Steam. Pretty much everything indicates that the answer is: yes.
no, there is actually no indication other than a lot of people on a forum speculating
Your "larger argument" is mostly based on misinterpretations and false assumptions (like the deleted tweets which you absolutely ignored for some reasons). I personally do not care where or when RDR2 gets released on PC but you shouldn't outright claim false statements.
the outright false statements like the ones you're making? how can i respond to deleted tweets whose content you can't describe or explain in any way? you are only using the fact that there are supposedly deleted tweets to impugn Zhuge's credibility. how do i know there wasn't a typo he immediately corrected? you are being so misleading.

you said borderlands announced a Steam release date when they launched their deal. that is an "outright false statement." but you won't correct it because you can't correct it.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
The Rockstar launcher is new which means, probably unstable to a flock of users downloading a massive game, but the biggest reason is userbase. It just launched so clearly lacks the number of users. EGS is the second biggest store, it would help not only in terms of visibility but also provide it large number of users.

What better way of gaining users than by having one of the biggest PC ports of the year exclusive to the platform? Diluting the turnout by placing the game on the EGS, GMG, Humble, etc and then Steam just a month later makes no sense if they're looking to garner a significant userbase.

Honestly....probably to evade a lot of angry people send lots of angry emails. Also first month, in terms of "lets see how well we do" is more than enough, games like RDR2 gets a lot of sales on it's first month, that's enough data to determine the future strategy of Take Two on the PC.

You really think Take Two cares about angry emails from people on the internet? They're a multi-million dollar company not a small indie developer, the people who will view those potential emails either don't care or are hired by people who don't care.

And, yes, games do sell a lot in their first month, which is why diluting the sales by not launching exclusively on the Rockstar Launcher makes little sense without some form of money changing hands to make up for those diluted sales.

Because Steam cut is clearly a nuisance for the mega publishers like Take Two. Epic's cut is the lesser devil.

The thing is that EA, Ubisoft, Activision all of the top publishers in the industry are leaving Steam behind, Bethesda tried and failed, but be sure it will try again. So the question here is: What makes more sense, that Take Two, the publisher of one of the strongest IP's in gaming and one of the biggest publishers wants to follow the trend on abandoning Steam like its peers to have a higher cut and win more money or that Epic spend a lot of money on a 1 month exclusivity that they can't announce as "exclusivity", which has very little value for Epic just to spit on Steam?

Take Two trying to ditch Steam is just the logical step on the PC gaming market. This is Take Two saying to Steam "it's over", Epic is just a convenient companion to help them.

Saying "it's over" by launching the game a singular month after the launch on other platforms? What's "over" about that?

And, yes, lets say that Steam is a dead platform with an outdated archaic cut; what does that have do with this particular instance here? Epic is doing everything that money can buy to push Steam further into the abyss and there's really no reason why they wouldn't do the same with such a massive game. Your only concrete reasoning for why that couldn't be the case is the fact that exclusivity wasn't specifically advertised which, ignoring the fact that I've already explained why that's probably the case, is not the point because Epic will always want to hurt Steam no matter the cost to themselves.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
Okay.

Don't take the following as incontrovertible proof of ANYTHING.

From looking at the console settings, you can already identify various pc only settings (dx11/dx12_1)

A lot of RAGE specific settings return verbatim from V, including the option of inserting density values exceeding the slider max.

A lot AA options including TAA, but no SMAA mentioned anywhere.

Also, no mention of RTX or the word "ray", but keep the console origins of the source material in mind.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it's spelled "blatant," but you should provide evidence that i lied or withdraw. calling someone a liar because they disagree with you is extremely childish
cool. In case you want to know why your claim is false: just look at Coffeestain Studios or Yager and how they confirmed their Steam releases when they announced their EGS exclusivity.

no, there is actually no indication other than a lot of people on a forum speculating
If a company repeats a tactic 50 times in a row with the same outcome - and right now we see the 51th time the same outcome in a row - then it's pretty likely that they also used the same tactic again.

the outright false statements like the ones you're making? how can i respond to deleted tweets whose content you can't describe or explain in any way? you are only using the fact that there are supposedly deleted tweets to impugn Zhuge's credibility. how do i know there wasn't a typo he immediately corrected? you are being so dishonest.
You could have followed the thread. Seems like you decided to not do that.

you said borderlands announced a Steam release date when they launched their deal. that is an "outright false statement." but you won't correct it because you can't correct it.
In this case you are kinda correct because Gearbox didn't use the word Steam but announced that BL3 is only a 6-month temporary EGS exclusive and "will be available to purchase from other digital distribution platforms".

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In this case you are kinda correct because Gearbox didn't use the word Steam but announced that BL3 is only a 6-month temporary EGS exclusive and "will be available to purchase from other digital distribution platforms".
it is not "kinda correct." it is correct and making false statements without doing your proper research then calling *other* people liars when you are the one making false claims is inadvisable. but thank you for admitting that falsehood and retracting it.

cool. In case you want to know why your claim is false: just look at Coffeestain Studios
they did not announce an imminent steam release. they did not launch on multiple other platforms. saying there is one year of exclusivity is not announcing an imminent Steam release
or Yager and how they confirmed their Steam releases
they did not announce an imminent Steam release either or launch on multiple other platforms. you need to actually read my statements before you call them lies. I never said no publisher has confirmed the game will eventually come to other storefronts. the statement you called a lie was, again, direct quote, that "no publisher has announced an imminent Steam release date while launching the game on multiple other platforms as a part of an "exclusivity" deal with Epic." that is true. you just cited two examples of games with lengthy exclusivity windows who confirmed they would eventually come to other storefronts. that is a completely different thing than announcing an "imminent Steam release." hopefully you can admit to the second falsehood, retract your statement that I am a liar, and you can apologize and move on from this ridiculous farce and you will learn to do your research and read carefully next time before you defame someone

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you look up the CSS and Yager situation? Or is this the next case of "couldn't be bothered to look the stuff up"?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Okay.

From looking at the console settings, you can already identify various pc only settings (dx11/dx12_1)

A lot of RAGE specific settings return verbatim from V, including the option of inserting density values exceeding the slider max.

Also, no mention of RTX or the word "ray", but keep the console origins of the source material in mind.

Raytracing patch would have been such a sweet thing for the game but at the same time I don't expect we will get it as it may not roll into their graphics pipeline easily and R* might not be interested in putting in the extra work for features that are ultimately used by a limited group of people.

I hope at least this time around simultaneous mouse+controller input works seamlessly. It's mostly fine in GTA V but does a few wonky things.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
that's a hell of a sentence, but I don't really know how it contradicts what I'm saying, other than through semantics. their goal is not to hurt Steam. their goal is to be profitable. they think the tactic that will help them accomplish that goal is to hurt steam. like i said, if they thought boosting steam was going to make them more profitable, they would do it tomorrow. this is capitalism, not an ideological crusade. and again, we're kind of contradicting ourself. does Epic want a multi-launcher market, or do they want to supplant Steam? those are two different things. i'm not sure EGS was ever operating under the assumption they would supplant Steam

what's your evidence that it isn't going well? Borderlands 3 just had a huge launch on EGS

huh? when has Epic ever paid a game to be off Steam for a month? is there any precedent for that? exclusivity windows work in proportion to length. if EGS paid for exclusivity, why does the release announcement mention that it is coming to Steam next month? why wouldn't it say coming to RS and EGS and not mention Steam? why aren't EGS advertising RDR2 on their Twitter? they responded to the announcement with one quote tweet with an eyes emoji. not exactly blowing out the stops there?

as for "why wouldn't it get a deal"? i'm not saying it wouldn't get a deal. i'm saying it wouldn't get this deal because this deal doesn't benefit EGS. and if it's not about benefiting EGS and it's just about hurting Steam, this situation doesn't hurt Steam in any way either. a lot of people in this thread are letting their strong feelings about Epic cloud basic common sense

I think the one getting lost in the semantic weeds is you. I say Epic want to hurt Steam, you say they want to make money which they can do by hurting Steam and then kind of hand-wave the point away. I say yes, every company has the goal of making money at their root so if you want to argue what they're doing you look at how they're making money. Nobody cares about the capitalist framing you're giving it. If Epic could get more money from boosting Steam, yeah, they probably would do that, but they like, don't. So stop making that point. As for the language Epic representatives use, I don't want to use the term "dog-whistle" because it usually refers to more nefarious matters (don't get caught up in this), but their uses of "multi-store" or "store tax" are rather obviously terms they put out to to signal that the industry with EGS is better than the industry before them. Epic would prefer they be the only store instead of a multi-store world, but they're not really at a point where that even makes sense to talk about.

Borderlands 3's launch obviously had to be huge as it's one of the biggest games of the year that fans have been pining for for over half a decade. It was revealed that it got peak concurrent player numbers around twice that of Borderlands 2's launch which places it at a respectable 250,000. But we can compare this to other PC releases. For example, Monster Hunter World, an 8 month late PC port in a franchise brand new to PC managed 330,000 concurrent players according to Steam charts. Epic very rarely publicly releases any numbers pertaining to player counts and sales (despite having the Steam Spy guy on staff who used to post all the time about how this information should be available) so we don't have much to go on, but their reluctance to ever be firm with numbers shouldn't mean we are unable to speculate. Borderlands was pretty successful. But I speculate it could've launched a bit better elsewhere. Though I don't think it's really related to whether Epic paid R* so you can have the last word on it.

A month is new territory for EGS exclusives. However, so was 6 months with Borderlands, the previous record holder for highest profile EGS game.

I believe a lot of the deals Epic makes don't hurt Steam as much as they'd like. But they keep doing them because they believe it hurts Steam, which we've already established above leads Epic to profit. It doesn't matter how ineffective we think it is. We don't run the company. The pattern with Epic is: pay money, get game on EGS before Steam. I don't see why it would stop here with the biggest game to hit their platform yet.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you look up the CSS and Yager situation? Or is this the next case of "couldn't be bothered to look the stuff up"?
yes, i absolutely did. they did not launch on multiple other platforms and they did not announce imminent Steam release dates. period. what other platform did The Cycle simultaneously launch on? none: it launched only on EGS. what other platform did Satisfactory simultaneously launch on: none, it launched on EGS. when did The Cycle or Saisfactory announce imminent Steam release dates as a part of the EGS exclusivity announcement? they didn't. you need to retract your false and defamatory statement.

luxarific

Jan 14, 2018
If I buy this on Rockstar's platform will instill be able to matchmake with people using the Steam version as long as I know their social club nick? I assume the answer is probably but 🤷‍♀️

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game on the PS4 not 3 months ago but I will gladly play it again on PC as long as the port is good. I'll most likely wait and get it on Steam because I'll be too busy with Death Stranding this November to play RDR2 then anyway, plus they can patch the major issues by the Steam release date.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

That's where you're wrong.

WmuSuHO.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
That's where you're wrong.

To be fair, while the mouse will, for the first time, make "aiming" achievable in RDR2 without the use of aim-assist / lock-on, it won't do much to improve the latency of the player character reacting to keyboard inputs. I can see the higher framerates having a positive effect there, but they literally programmed in delay to the movement causing sluggish behavior, so it'll only go so far.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
To be fair, while the mouse will, for the first time, make "aiming" achievable in RDR2 without the use of aim-assist / lock-on, it won't do much to improve the latency of the player character reacting to keyboard inputs. I can see the higher framerates having a positive effect there, but they literally programmed in delay to the movement causing sluggish behavior, so it'll only go so far.
I think it's a possibility they'll adjust the latency/fluid movement for when you're using mouse and keyboard, because that's precisely what they did with the PC-version of GTA V.

You didn't have to mash the sprint-button for maximum running speed either.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lmao at people still acting like this wasnt one of the best games ever made. Can't wait to play it again where it can truly shine.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Says who? Seriously, this is borderline paranoia some of you have.

Activision, EA, Ubisoft,.... People really thought that Take2 wouldn't try to do the same? Like they saw those people doing more money than before and said to themselves "nah, we are OK, we like Valve and we don't like making more money". Steam is a nuisance for big publishers that why some, like Ubi, became downright hostile on their comments regarding the platform. They feel they don't need steam and in Ubi's case... It seems they were right.

If Epic made the deal, the game wouldn't launch on GoG, hell even the usual Epic deal, the one that pays X number of copies on advance, is damn useless for Take2, why would they care at all, os gonna sold a fuckton of money anyway.

This is a test, to see how sales respond,nothibg more nothing else. If it goes right, you can be sure GTA6 won't be on Steam.
It's not launching on GOG. In fact, although 2K has been putting loads of their older titles on GOG ( I know cuz I keep re-buy 'em there), not a single Rockstar game has made the jump.

I don't know if 2K would really try to divert their other big PC franchises (NBA 2K, Civilization, X-COM) to the Rockstar Launcher, making it the de-facto " 2K proprietary launcher" the way Bethesda tried (and largely failed) with their own. I say "largely failed" , b/c allegedly the pre-orders for Rage 2 in some region were so low they decided to back off their earlier announcement that Rage 2, Wolf Youngblood and Doom Eternal were all gonna be sold only through the Bethesda Launcher. I can see them trying again with Starfield or TES VIN but for the immediate future they've come back to Steam (though all sellers only carry Bethesda Launcher keys)

But going back to 2K. Their key "PC" franchises (read: the stuff wot Firaxis makes) rely pretty heavily on mod support. Unless 2k and Rockstar put some Workshop analogue into the R* launcher, I don't really see it taking off for non-Rockstar games. Maybe a killer game like BioShock could, but even then, ionno how much real "brand power" a new BioShock would have these days, as it's been a looooong time since Infinite.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

People using KB/M will probably play in FPS mode which even in the console version is drastically more responsive than third person. You even automatically run/strafe in first person and that's a huge improvement too.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well whatever the case I know that the delay worked, because I see friends saying they're not going to wait a month for this. So whatever the case many people will jump early and then I'd be majorly surprised if some don't even double dip on steam.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Just some insignificant group of salty plebs trying to undermine the PC release.
Or those people just didn't like the game much. I literally bought an XB1X for this game and I thought the original was better by a mile. It was not fun to play through in my opinion.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Says who? Seriously, this is borderline paranoia some of you have.

Activision, EA, Ubisoft,.... People really thought that Take2 wouldn't try to do the same? Like they saw those people doing more money than before and said to themselves "nah, we are OK, we like Valve and we don't like making more money". Steam is a nuisance for big publishers that why some, like Ubi, became downright hostile on their comments regarding the platform. They feel they don't need steam and in Ubi's case... It seems they were right.

If Epic made the deal, the game wouldn't launch on GoG, hell even the usual Epic deal, the one that pays X number of copies on advance, is damn useless for Take2, why would they care at all, os gonna sold a fuckton of money anyway.

This is a test, to see how sales respond,nothibg more nothing else. If it goes right, you can be sure GTA6 won't be on Steam.

Epic is fine with games releasing on every other stores except Steam. Steam is Epic's only target.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember when people were complaning about GTA 5's controls on the consoles and when it came to PC there was absolute 0 problems with them whatsoever.

Gonna be the exact same case here because some don't understand that 60 fps+ and M&K can be a game changer.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Story game with auto aim mechanic, also it may require modern hardware to run it at the best settings. It would probably be good for phones especially. You're mainly moving to a spot on the map, dead eye killing, and moving to another spot on the map.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Okay.

I'd say Vulkan is a possibility, if the credits are anything to go by. Of course this could relate to any number of things, though an API switching function is also indicated https://gtaforums.com/topic/914375-...tion/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-1070510406
CZw1OZt.png

There was also mention of Linux target compatibility for the engine itself, though again, it can relate to any number of things

I'd actually think this leans more into the Stadia functionality, but all of Stadia's work makes Linux ports much simpler

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't quite 100% this on PS4 so looking forward to the PC version. Not sure how they can improve the visuals significantly considering how amazing it already looked, but a res and FPS bump might be enough alone.