• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted by online but GTA Online is such a mess with hackers, ridiculous amounts of loading screens and Very grindy(in a bad way). I don't trust Rockstar at all in this aspect.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Hloft

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so they are releasing this game on Rockstargames and epic store and then steam, to me this sounds like ubisoft strategy to get 100% of revenue from people purchasing the game mostly on their own store, if it is then is a smart move.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is not really 70% on Steam, because surely the game will reach the necessary to get only the 20% cut.

Still this is just another publisher trying to avoid Steam altogether and this seems to be a test.

I would say Valve should really start looking for a solution. The issue will just get way worse over time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
so they are releasing this game on Rockstargames and epic store and then steam, to me this sounds like ubisoft strategy to get 100% of revenue from people purchasing the game mostly on their own store, if it is then is a smart move.
Yep, like Blizzard games, Minecraft, or Fortnite, Rockstar doesn't need any help selling their game on PC. People will know where to get it even if it was only available to download on their own website. Google exists, and Rockstar Games will likely point people to the launcher which they already have if the play GTAV on PC. Epic did something similar on Android with Fortnite, and that seem to be very popular, they must have saved a ton of money cutting Google out of the profits.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
id say out of all games/studios, rdr2 is one of those that will have incredible longevity and take advantage of steam's post-50 mil sold cut, especially since steam will be the de facto store used for the game as the years roll on by (yeehaw). I don't think focusing on getting a burst of cash from the higher cut of their own store or EGS for a month really hurts that, and I am pretty sure steam will be cashing in hard on the game as well.

in general the steam post 10/50 mil is kind of a non-factor for most games, but rockstar games stand to benefit. It was precient of valve to create this deal, since it seems obvious that rockstar would stick to their own launcher or EGS if they felt like it would make them more money, this type of incentive seems necessary to entice the big guns in the face of new revenue splits (and the capability of gigantic companies to just make their own launcher services and keep most of the cut).

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
The mods will be glorious. A modder will probably fix the horrible movement.

Already working on control/anim tweaks. Hard to tell the overall effect of the edits at this point (for obvious reasons).

What looks more straightforward though, is AI population configurations. Think hostile hordes of indians attacking Blackwater at night or maybe a wayward alligator running into Saint Denis, or...basically endless possibilities.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Already working on control/anim tweaks. Hard to tell the overall effect of the edits at this point (for obvious reasons).

What looks more straightforward though, is AI population configurations. Think hostile hordes of indians attacking Blackwater at night or maybe a wayward alligator running into Saint Denis, or...basically endless possibilities.
The first thing I thought was wanted level rising instantly from bumping into the crowd.

Hopefully the crazy tight mission fail zones and rules are relaxed with mods allowing you to be more creative, a wanted level, and especially a witness revamp where NPCs have to actually be around to see you do something.

My first time playing this game will be with mods like this or not at all.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
I read that the game is coming to stadia. Are there any more news on that? Played the game on ps4, but I would double-dip, if a stadia port is coming and shaping up to be worth it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yep, like Blizzard games, Minecraft, or Fortnite, Rockstar doesn't need any help selling their game on PC. People will know where to get it even if it was only available to download on their own website. Google exists, and Rockstar Games will likely point people to the launcher which they already have if the play GTAV on PC. Epic did something similar on Android with Fortnite, and that seem to be very popular, they must have saved a ton of money cutting Google out of the profits.

But you still leave money on the street. There is no realistic scenario where restricting the places to sell your product would let you make more money.
Regional pricing would be non-existing. Valve's cut means nothing if millions of people can buy your game for 50 to 80% less than the normal MSRP in the US.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Again... NO other platform delays steam months and launches on their platform first or have done it consistently in the past. Origin, Uplay, GOG you name it.

All this fuckery was started by epic when they started paying publishers and studios to keep game launches off steam for months or a year. This is absolutely a trademark epic paid deal also another dose of evidence is that while all launchers have the game in november only steam is singled out for a month. This is epic's trademark. Iam and other people are basing our arguments based on past precedent and behavioral patterns for epic paid deals and how this matches that. All it needs is a comment from Take two that they received money from epic.

Nov 5, 2017
So is this the usual Rockstar PC port shuffle like GTA V? Marginal improvements; delayed by a year for double dipping; and full priced at $60? It's really annoying to be treated like a second class platform, especially with the Epic/Steam marketplace shenanigans.

Any word on if this game is going to have physical release like with GTA V? Or would I have to wait until Oct 9 to find out more?

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
The first thing I thought was wanted level rising instantly from bumping into the crowd.

Hopefully the crazy tight mission fail zones and rules are relaxed with mods allowing you to be more creative, a wanted level, and especially a witness revamp where NPCs have to actually be around to see you do something.

My first time playing this game will be with mods like this or not at all.

At the surface level it looks like it will only require changing a few params and bools to modify the conditions of what exactly constitutes a crime in SINGLEPLAYER. The underlying system is broadly speaking markedly different structurally from V, but as far as the core "wanted or not" settings, it seems fairly simple to create a much more "lenient" reaction to actions like <Item key="CRIME_HASSLE"> and <Item key="CRIME_LOITERING">.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope save file-sharing will be easy. Would be nice to start from chapter 2 since I beat the game once and recently played from the beginning up to chapter 2

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic paid off R* to delay Steam release by 1 month.

Says who? Seriously, this is borderline paranoia some of you have.

Activision, EA, Ubisoft,.... People really thought that Take2 wouldn't try to do the same? Like they saw those people doing more money than before and said to themselves "nah, we are OK, we like Valve and we don't like making more money". Steam is a nuisance for big publishers that why some, like Ubi, became downright hostile on their comments regarding the platform. They feel they don't need steam and in Ubi's case... It seems they were right.

If Epic made the deal, the game wouldn't launch on GoG, hell even the usual Epic deal, the one that pays X number of copies on advance, is damn useless for Take2, why would they care at all, os gonna sold a fuckton of money anyway.

This is a test, to see how sales respond,nothibg more nothing else. If it goes right, you can be sure GTA6 won't be on Steam.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My bet is on Epic and Stadia payed to have RDR2 on their store. Like consoles these two likely have 3rd party relations that try to get certain games on their platform. Steam seems to leave that up to devs or whatever project green light was. Microsoft was the one that made MCC and Gears on Steam happen, and the reason was Steam players kept asking for it. Gabe himself said it was all Microsoft and Phil when asked.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have evidence of this or are you talking out of your ass?
As already pointed out in this thread, why in the world would the game release simultaneously on Rockstar social launcher and EGS but not also on Steam unless EGS paid for it? In all prior instances of Steam delay or not being on Steam at all (Ubisoft), it has been Epic paying for it so why would this be any different? They just didn't pay enough to make it a 6-12 month delay.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Yea man, we can't just assume that the company who already made timed exlusive deals with this very publisher made yet another one for the newest game that's also timed co-exclusive, a concept literally coined by them.

That'd be unfair to papa timmy

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
For someone who knows next to nothing about pc gaming, what are the chances of a mod to fix the horrendous single player controls/gameplay, ie:

-input delay when Arthur starts to walk
-slow loot picking animations
-proper run/walk controls though analogue controller instead of having to tap a button
-better aiming/shooting

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Its amazingly hilarious how people keep doubting Epic paying R* for this deal again and again despite samey or similar behavior by epic and the pubs in the very recent past. This surely doesn't need any concrete evidence other than the past behavioral patterns of egs and pubs. Take Two have already taken epic's money on some of their other big name titals.. this is just another of their big ones.

The only ones talking out of their ass right now are people asking for 'evidence' despite the same month delays to steam only big name releases.
Why would rockstar delay only steam a month when its releasing rdr2 pc on all other digital platforms day 1. No other digital platform owners do this. They straight up don't put their games on steam or even if they do, they put their game on steam from the start but don't offer steam keys from other digital store fronts and only offer their own keys.

Rockstar have done the same with social club why do they need to change it up for their reformed launcher? It makes ZERO sense. They're offering to give up the sales revenue to Epic. This solely means that they've been paid to do so.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Epic made the deal, the game wouldn't launch on GoG,

It isn't launching on GOG, just Epic and a bunch of key reseller stores selling Rockstar Launcher keys.

hell even the usual Epic deal, the one that pays X number of copies on advance, is damn useless for Take2, why would they care at all, os gonna sold a fuckton of money anyway.

That's precisely why it's a one month deal and ends before Christmas, not to mention the reason why no AAA games take the deal without extra incentives (being able to launch on Steam before the DLC cycle is over for Borderlands 3 and being able to use the EGS as a lightning rod while propping up their own store in Ubi's case).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Games that sell a LOT on Steam keep more of the cut.
www.theverge.com

Valve’s new Steam revenue agreement gives more money to game developers

An unprecedented change to Valve’s financial agreement with game makers
how is that relevant to Rockstar's strategy, which is to get that higher cut on day one sales, and then put it on Steam shortly after because they know it's their long-term revenue driver? yes, they will get the higher cut on Steam eventually.
You can't say nobody will buy one of the biggest games of all time on their store and also say their store is already legitimized.
why not? when there are incentives to buy it on other stores, people won't buy it on EGS. that doesn't mean it isn't already legitimized by huge games launching on their store (Borderlands, Cyberpunk, etc.)
You can't just say "Epic is a business therefore their only goal is to make money", then deny that their goal is to hurt Steam when that is obviously the main way to achieve their business goal of making money just obfuscated by one layer.
that's a hell of a sentence, but I don't really know how it contradicts what I'm saying, other than through semantics. their goal is not to hurt Steam. their goal is to be profitable. they think the tactic that will help them accomplish that goal is to hurt steam. like i said, if they thought boosting steam was going to make them more profitable, they would do it tomorrow. this is capitalism, not an ideological crusade. and again, we're kind of contradicting ourself. does Epic want a multi-launcher market, or do they want to supplant Steam? those are two different things. i'm not sure EGS was ever operating under the assumption they would supplant Steam
Now, nowhere did I argue that their strategy of throwing money at the wall was working well. It's not and I'm certainly not buying games on EGS as opposed to just waiting a year for Steam. I don't even buy Oculus games to play using Revive. But this is Epic's strategy. They probably just assumed this would all work better than it is.
what's your evidence that it isn't going well? Borderlands 3 just had a huge launch on EGS
And getting back to the question of whether Epic paid R* for a paltry month of exclusivity I'll line up what we do know again. Epic historically pays devs to be on their store and not on Steam for some period of time. Epic pays big games more. Why would one of the biggest games of all time not get a deal? Why would R* not argue they should get a deal? I feel like we've lost the plot somewhere.
huh? when has Epic ever paid a game to be off Steam for a month? is there any precedent for that? exclusivity windows work in proportion to length. if EGS paid for exclusivity, why does the release announcement mention that it is coming to Steam next month? why wouldn't it say coming to RS and EGS and not mention Steam? why aren't EGS advertising RDR2 on their Twitter? they responded to the announcement with one quote tweet with an eyes emoji. not exactly blowing out the stops there?

as for "why wouldn't it get a deal"? i'm not saying it wouldn't get a deal. i'm saying it wouldn't get this deal because this deal doesn't benefit EGS. and if it's not about benefiting EGS and it's just about hurting Steam, this situation doesn't hurt Steam in any way either. a lot of people in this thread are letting their strong feelings about Epic cloud basic common sense

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Lil' Timmy Tencent payed close to 10 million $ for exclusivity for Control, he is on record saying he that moneyhatting studios to keep their games away from Steam temporarily is his strategy, why are people still acting surprised or shocked when someone says R* got payed? It's right in fucking front of you and Timmy is even gloating about it on Twitter.

On topic, looks like a December buy for me on Steam, supporting Epic and Tencent behind at this point is morally reprehensible, and I just hate Tim Sweeney.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Games that sell a LOT on Steam keep more of the cut.
www.theverge.com

Valve’s new Steam revenue agreement gives more money to game developers

An unprecedented change to Valve’s financial agreement with game makers
This is all good info for a complete picture. Though, that's still 50 million before it approaches EGS margins, and that's just moving forward. That's having to move 800+ full price sales before it falls to the lowest split, and then by that point you're likely looking at most sales not being full price.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
huh? when has Epic ever paid a game to be off Steam for a month? is there any precedent for that? exclusivity windows work in proportion to length. if EGS paid for exclusivity, why does the release announcement mention that it is coming to Steam next month? why wouldn't it say coming to RS and EGS and not mention Steam? why aren't EGS advertising RDR2 on their Twitter? they responded to the announcement with one quote tweet with an eyes emoji. not exactly blowing out the stops there?
You realize that games with higher sales potential do cost more to get "exclusivity" for, right?
Thats why a BL3 has only 6 months of exclusivity (a game where the Steam release date got also announced ahead of the launch btw).
It is literally the exact same case this time like with all those other EGS exclusive deals just that we're talking about 1 month bought exclusivity (or more precise "non-steam time") instead of 6 months or the usual 12 months. You are asking (rhetorical?) questions that got all answered in other use cases.

Also arguing that "Borderlands 3 just had a huge launch on EGS" is another hot-take from another thread.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Wild that Rockstar isn't confident enough in the Red Dead franchise to launch it just on its own launcher and to hedge it's bets by putting it on the Epic store with absolutely no additional incentive whatsoever from Epic.

Absolutely wild.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Says who? Seriously, this is borderline paranoia some of you have.

Activision, EA, Ubisoft,.... People really thought that Take2 wouldn't try to do the same? Like they saw those people doing more money than before and said to themselves "nah, we are OK, we like Valve and we don't like making more money". Steam is a nuisance for big publishers that why some, like Ubi, became downright hostile on their comments regarding the platform. They feel they don't need steam and in Ubi's case... It seems they were right.

If Epic made the deal, the game wouldn't launch on GoG, hell even the usual Epic deal, the one that pays X number of copies on advance, is damn useless for Take2, why would they care at all, os gonna sold a fuckton of money anyway.

This is a test, to see how sales respond,nothibg more nothing else. If it goes right, you can be sure GTA6 won't be on Steam.

We literally have evidence of how Epic pays developers straight-up to keep their game from Steam. Calling people 'paranoid' as if they're going off nothing is, ironically enough, itself based on nothing.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Wild that Rockstar isn't confident enough in the Red Dead franchise to launch it just on its own launcher and to hedge it's bets by putting it on the Epic store with absolutely no additional incentive whatsoever from Epic.

Absolutely wild.
Absolutely wild that they're taking free money... wild I tell you!!

I assume we will know in a few days:
I'm not sure if either of them will tbh. Not that it really means anything.. but Nvidia retweeted the announcement. Did AMD also?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We literally have evidence of how Epic pays developers straight-up to keep their game from Steam. Calling people 'paranoid' as if they're going off nothing is, ironically enough, itself based on nothing.

If Epic had got the "1 month" exclusive if would have been announced by Epic themselves...It didn't happen. We saw Epic paying for several months exclusivities and being properly announced by the company.

It makes way more sense Take Two using this launch the viability to prescind Steam on the PC platforms like any other top publisher in the industry than rather believe Epic spending a truclkoad of money on a 1 month excluisivity they didn't even bothered to market it.