• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
New story content. Considering the bulk of the voice recording for the main game was finished YEARS ago, I honestly wonder if the new missions were just stuff that was cut from the final retail game for content bloat reasons.

I don't think they actually created new content, at least not around the SP mode.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What, delaying the game on Steam a month while releasing it on EGS day and date.

Let us not be dishonest my friend.

Yes because EGS paid to not have it on steam for a month.

It's on Humble because all the keys sold will activate on Rockstar Launcher.

How am I being dishonest?

Rockstar gets a bigger cut of the revenue from every other storefront than Steam. When you have a huge property it's not stupid to delay Steam in favor of your own store and other stores. Push the early adopters into those platforms. Have a slightly delayed release on Steam to then catch all the hardliners. Those people will still buy it on Steam whether it's in November or December. It's about maximizing profit. It's smart thinking.

Aside from that I have a hard time accepting Epic would shell out just to keep a game off steam for just one month especially when R* own launcher has it available that it's offering unique incentives for customers to use

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Is there another game similar to this situation where it's proven Epic paid to only keep it off Steam while it's on more than the producer's own launcher? One I can think of is that Metro Exodus eventually showed up on Gamepass PC while it launched exclusive to EGS. T

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there another game similar to this situation where it's proven Epic paid to only keep it off Steam while it's on more than the producer's own launcher? One I can think of is that Metro Exodus eventually showed up on Gamepass PC while it launched exclusive to EGS.
ubisofts stuff is that way too, but uplay is sooo bad no one cares.

Dec 15, 2017
It will be interesting to see how it runs on my PC (fx 6300 at stock speeds, 8gb ram at 1600mhz and a 2gb GTX 760) it should trade blows with the base consoles. Hopefully the 2gb textures do not look like duke3d ( looking at you gears 5)

Gta v was one of the best PC versions of the generation, fingers crossed for the quality of this port.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Is there another game similar to this situation where it's proven Epic paid to only keep it off Steam while it's on more than the producer's own launcher? One I can think of is that Metro Exodus eventually showed up on Gamepass PC while it launched exclusive to EGS. T
The Outer Worlds is exclusive to EGS but its also available on Game Pass PC.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds is exclusive to EGS but its also available on Game Pass PC.
The Outer Worlds devs are owned by Microsoft now, the publisher isn't MS though, but I doubt that publisher even has a launcher. I forgot it's name, I just remember it not being something major. I doubt Microsoft would like that not being able to be used on their store.

Anyway it looks like Microsoft isn't messing around on PC. They somehow got Metro Exodus and I wonder if Steam could get it too if they pressured the dev/publisher of it haha.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain R* launcher to a silly goose like me?
It's Social Club, the launcher that was used for previous Rockstar PC games, but now it's updated to be more like a Rockstar Games Store.. Fresh paint and name, same functionality (required to launch Rockstar Games). Maybe they have big plans for it in the future but just think of it as Social Club updated.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Isn't that because MS bought Obsidian and they have no choice?
The Outer Worlds is not exclusive to EGS. It will be available on EGS, MS Store and Game Pass PC.
The Outer Worlds devs are owned by Microsoft now, the publisher isn't MS though, but I doubt that publisher even has a launcher. I forgot it's name, I just remember it not being something major. I doubt Microsoft would like that not being able to be used on their store.
Right, I'm not sure about the timeline of Obsidian's acquisition and when The Outer Worlds was announced to be releasing on EGS and Game Pass but not Steam. It is however another example of a game where Epic paid to keep it off Steam but we also have an option to avoid Epic's launcher.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Proud voter of this option:

mBhuvqI.png

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying Epic paid to keep RDR2 off of Steam for a month... is that proven? I haven't had time to look into it myself.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there another game similar to this situation where it's proven Epic paid to only keep it off Steam while it's on more than the producer's own launcher?
For example the Ubisoft games, Metro Exodus, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds. I'm sure the overall list is pretty long.
Its known that Epic paid that these titles get removed from Steam and called them "EGS exclusive" (or "co-exclusive" in the case of Ubi).

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
A 1070 can barely do 1440p properly at 60fps with new games these days. No chance with a 970 for RDR 2. I'd be stoked with 1080p60fps locked on my 1070/6600k.
I usually don't have much trouble keeping 60 at 1440p on a single 1070 after turning down a few settings.

Really depends on the dev, to be honest. Some of the best looking games are also the most optimized.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying Epic paid to keep RDR2 off of Steam for a month... is that proven? I haven't had time to look into it myself.

No, just idle and baseless speculation.

More likely, the staggered release is just smart business because Steam takes such a big cut. All the early people who want to get the game right away will be funneled away from Steam. The people who will only shop on Steam will still buy it anyway after the delay. The objective is to make as many of your sales as possible on other platforms than Steam

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So the answer thus far is "no".
Yeah, I'm not saying there's any evidence. Rockstar are free to give up any margins as they see fit, but it stands to reason to not give up the store cut when you're seemingly on a mission to cut all possible losses.

It simply doesn't add up - but you're, of course, free to disagree and present your own argument.

Edit: Not to mention; this is completely unprecedented. No game has skipped Steam while releasing on all the other storefronts for a game like this, without an agreed exclusivity deal. Because why would there be.

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hope we'll finally be able to use the MP clothing items in SP.

It boggles my mind WHY rockstar doesn't allow it, like wtf? Why can't we put a damn duster on arthur or have a poncho already, it makes no sense to wall off all the cool new customization options to MP only, where the hell is the harm in selling ithem as a pack to use in both???

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing is, as seen by GTA on Steam, that first month is fucking nothing but it's obvious either Epic isn't getting the sales to convince publishers or R* knows that by delaying it any longer for Steam they are going to lose tons of money. GTA is a beast on Steam, why not get some form of a paycheck from a store which isn't guaranteed sales and still release a month later to the store that has kept GTA alive for years and years.

Like others have said, I won't celebrate until EGS is firmly in the no more exclusives section of business and actually competiting on their dev share instead of market monopoly manipulation. Because, you know, that's what Steam does apparently, according to Sweeney Swindler.

--
I actually don't know if I want to get it on PC or not. I've got it on ps4 and it's a massive slog to play, while enjoyable. It'd be nice to complete it on PC with controls I feel better at or even Steam Controller but the game just isn't good as an actual game. Too much superfluous crap like "realistic" animations and story that while interesting is a drain to complete. I'd like my progress to be taken over, that'd be nice.

Nov 8, 2017
No, just idle and baseless speculation.

More likely, the staggered release is just smart business because Steam takes such a big cut. All the early people who want to get the game right away will be funneled away from Steam. The people who will only shop on Steam will still buy it anyway after the delay. The objective is to make as many of your sales as possible on other platforms than Steam

The Ubisoft strategy was to use EGS sales guarantees to offset the potential risk of not launching on Steam, while encouraging getting poeple to migrate to their dedicated store. This just seems like a slightly softer version of the same thing (with 1ish months exclusive instead of 12 or indefinite). If Epic was paying nothing and doing nothing for them, then it's hard to see why they wouldn't be Rockstar Launcher exclusive 100% for the first month, instead of Rockstar+EGS.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For example the Ubisoft games, Metro Exodus, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds. I'm sure the overall list is pretty long.
Its known that Epic paid that these titles get removed from Steam and called them "EGS exclusive" (or "co-exclusive" in the case of Ubi).
Epic + Ubi (producer.. I meant Publisher. I screwed up here and it's probably why people mention Ubisoft) games - These aren't really anywhere else.

Epic + Metro - This seem to have been a workaround, you couldn't buy it until June 9th it seems. Still a year for other places. Microsoft most likely spent a lot of money to get it on gamepass, like Devil May Cry V on Xbox One (DMCV was $19 million apparently).

Epic + Outer Wilds/Worlds - As for Outer Worlds Microsoft owning Obsidian probably allowed them to put it on their own store, though the Publisher is Private Division which I doubt has it's own launcher.

Outer Wilds (Publisher: Annapurna Interactive). This I can see, though it seems Indy and I wonder if that evolution game of theirs is on Gamepass too. This is a good one. Did a search for Outer Wilds on the MS Store, nothing showed up, is it Gamepass only? I looked but maybe the work around is that you can't own it, or buy it. Steam doesn't have a streaming option where you can't really own games.

Microsoft Store Website

Microsoft store app on Windows X

Last edited: