• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You're still going to need Rockstar's launcher if you buy on Steam, right? Grand Theft Auto V always used Rockstar's launcher too, if I recall correctly.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
One month exclusivity for EGS is more pathetic than annoying for a game that was already 12 months console exclusive

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I figured this was coming so I didn't bother getting it on PS4. I'll be trying it out sometime in December I guess. I got a lot to play and do in November so it's better this way.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I already beat it on Xbox so I'll wait until it goes on sale on Steam.

Glad it's coming though.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying Epic paid for a month of exclusivity?

"Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers"

Why would Epic pay to also let GG, HS, GS, and "other digital retailers" have it the same day? It's only Steam that is a month delayed. I see this as a sign of a possible issue with the Steam version delaying the release.
Those are just distributors. And those stores still EGS keysw.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
those other retailers (other than rockstar's launcher) will be selling EGS keys and epic's done this before

they just want to keep games off steam

My guess is they will be selling Rockstar Game Launcher keys, much like how with Ubisoft games, other retailers sell Uplay keys. Could go either way, though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Take 2 and Rockstar also don't want to miss out on the lucrative Christmas season or else they might actually have left money on the table.

Plus rdr2 will likely be in the 80 percent tier on day one on steam. GTA5 sold a lot on Steam alone and Steam was the only place you could buy the Steam version.

My guess is they will be selling Rockstar Game Launcher keys, much like how with Ubisoft games, other retailers sell Uplay keys. Could go either way, though.

Yeah I'm guessing it will be like GTA5 where it is a rockstar launcher key

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
I really want to get this again but all of my coworkers play on PS4. I know you can migrate your character for GTAO but that's about it... really hope there's persistent characters or cross-platform.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Amazed it even coming to Steam, even less then a month later. I imagine Rockstar didn't care about what Epic offered, they probably just want to use them as a excluisve for a month so people go to their launcher instead in the meantime. It a win win, they get money and get people to try out their new game launcher.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people saying Epic paid for a month of exclusivity?

"Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers"

Why would Epic pay to also let GG, HS, GS, and "other digital retailers" have it the same day? It's only Steam that is a month delayed. I see this as a sign of a possible issue with the Steam version delaying the release.

Edit: Didn't realize those other retailers were selling EGS keys.

likely Epic paid them to delay the Steam release. Epic sole target is Steam

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Its a game thats released a year after it released on consoles. Thats a 12 month period. Its an absolutely legit question.

The retail price for the console version is still $60. GTA V was $60 at PC release and was for many years after. Both get discounted, sure, but T2/R* wait a very long time to drop prices on their products. They put the same value on them that Nintendo does on their products, and have for a while.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
giphy.gif

Agreed. Today is a good day.

Dis gon be good

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Kit, cash bonus etc, I ll give them to myself.
If at release we can play the game offline I ll get it, otherwise I ll wait for a friendlier environment that allows it.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Oh mama this is great news! I will definitely double dip but I am not planning on upgrading my PC until early next year so we shall see how my 4790k & RTX 2060 handles this in December...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
After Borderlands 3 was only 6 months exclusive, I guessed that RDR2 would be 3 months.

I guess Sweeneys' Fortnite coffers aren't as bottomless as he thought?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nice. Didn't get very far in on PS4 (base) due to technical issues, but definitely in Day 1 on Steam

At least it's only one month exclusive. November is pretty packed anyways

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The retail price for the console version is still $60. GTA V was $60 at PC release and was for many years after. Both get discounted, sure, but T2/R* wait a very long time to drop prices on their products. They put the same value on them that Nintendo does on their products, and have for a while.
Oh i see for RDR but for GTAV you see they added in a first person mode and the rockstar editor version, so atleast that was something added in for the delay plus it was the remastered version of GTAV with 4K textures and shit.

But then again if its $60 on consoles like you said then i guess its fair enough but a lot of games after a year, drop in price quite a bit so thats why i said that it was a legit question.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
*shocked.gif*

Good thing, too bad there won't be a physical release ? I like the fact that GTA5 came with 7 discs, I love sparing the hassle of spending one full week downloading a game.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I figured this would be too expensive for Epic to shell out for, but heh, they managed to pay to delay the Steam release by a month.

Pre-orders are EGS only, but I wonder if Rockstar will be distributing Steam keys to third party resellers at all? I have a feeling they won't.

But hey, I didn't expect it to be available on Steam at all, so might be wrong about this too. I just don't ever expect these rich ass giant companies to do anything in my best interest if it's in any way to their detriment. Releasing the game on Steam is good leverage for getting Epic to give Rockstar some free money while simultaneously drawing people to Rockstar's store with their incentives. I don't know what the benefit would be for them to let third party stores steal customers and devalue the game with their discounts. Rockstar would surely want the price up as high for as long as possible.