• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This video came up in my YT recommendations and the game just looks so great on new hardware:

A welldone visual showcase video too. BEst watched in 4K in a larger view than the tiny embedded player.

There was a thread of like, "what games do you mistake for real life" thread on Gaming Forum the other day, and I was about to post RDR2 because I think it's the most visually impressive game I've played, but it didn't really apply ... RDR2 looks almost like a painting, like the quintessential reflection of the world, y'know like the sort of sunset you remember in a dream, or from a vivid memory, and that the regular world only rarely matches up to how it's reflected in the game. Rockstar has always done this -- the giant moon in the GTAIII series, the lighting in LA and the desert in San Andreas, the lighting in GTAV, the sunsets in RDR and RDR2.

I know this post is a million years old now but it reminded me of a video I saw that might interest you:

www.youtube.com

How Red Dead Redemption 2's landscapes are connected to 19th century art

#RedDeadRedemption2 #ArtHistoryRockstar says Red Dead Redemption 2 wasn't specifically inspired by the art of the Hudson River School of Art (or anything els...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Just started a few days ago and barely scratched the surface.

First impressions though, holy shit you can see and hear the production quality. The whole introduction justifies the title of art.

Everything so far is slow and methodical. But this is creating some immersion, especially with game play spliced with cinematic angles.

However there are a few nagging things. Other than the obvious and trodden weight on controls, an item is in front of you and you can't pick it up because Arthur spins around and past it over and over it.

But the more frustrating thing for me is all the tips constantly popping up. The hud and text size is tiny and in there middle of game play they pop up for 5 second to press x or y. Sometimes it sounds out feels intuitive and sometimes not. Other times is tap this button it holds that same button.

It's immersion breaking when I have to keep second guessing what buttons to press. Maybe it will start to click and I can play without thinking.

Oh, and I can't tell if I should be decent or a dick.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

First impressions though, holy shit you can see and hear the production quality. The whole introduction justifies the title of art.

Everything so far is slow and methodical. But this is creating some immersion, especially with game play spliced with cinematic angles.

However there are a few nagging things. Other than the obvious and trodden weight on controls, an item is in front of you and you can't pick it up because Arthur spins around and past it over and over it.

But the more frustrating thing for me is all the tips constantly popping up. The hud and text size is tiny and in there middle of game play they pop up for 5 second to press x or y. Sometimes it sounds out feels intuitive and sometimes not. Other times is tap this button it holds that same button.

It's immersion breaking when I have to keep second guessing what buttons to press. Maybe it will start to click and I can play without thinking.

Turn the HUD options off in the menu.

You can bring the map up temporarily if you need it with the dpad.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

You can disable individual elements of the HUD in the settings menu, so you can disable things like the button prompts, but it might not be a bad idea to leave them on until you feel a little more comfortable with the controls. The game definitely can feel like it has too many things mapped to the same button, so you might be trying to greet someone and inadvertently attack them or take a drink at the bar at accidentally whip out your gun and fire. It's definitely a point of frustration that you just end up learning to live with to experience the amazing production values everywhere else.

There's minor benefits to a virtue playthrough, and even if you go full bad, the game steers you into virtuous choices regardless; you don't have nearly as much freedom in the matter as you have in other open world games with a notoriety meter. I'd just do what feels best, because even when making the "good" choice, Arthur will still do some very mean and intimidating things.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
So you go to the table while they were on your horse. Makes sense if you have a bunch and don't want to go back and forth.

But the instructions weren't clear and npc were telling me to set it down.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally bought the ultimate edition after wanting to play this for years. I'm trying to play on series X but it keeps crashing. Like hard, turns-the-whole-console off crashing. Most of the time it won't even boot. I get this message that says "for some reason, Red Dead Redemption 2 took too long to start." Does this game work on Series X? I don't see info online about these issues.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
So I finally bought the ultimate edition after wanting to play this for years. I'm trying to play on series X but it keeps crashing. Like hard, turns-the-whole-console off crashing. Most of the time it won't even boot. I get this message that says "for some reason, Red Dead Redemption 2 took too long to start." Does this game work on Series X? I don't see info online about these issues.

Edit: Have you had issues with any other games? I was playing a lot of non-Series X games just fine for some months, before I tried playing Series X games, and started to get crash issues.

Yes, it works (very well) on Series X.

That might be a hard drive issue. I had the same thing when I first got mine, though a different game. Eventually I sent it off to MS and got it replaced.

But obviously before you do all that - unplug / replug; uninstall / reinstall; and I'd also recommend giving MS's chat support a go. It's actually really good.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Have you had issues with any other games? I was playing a lot of non-Series X games just fine for some months, before I tried playing Series X games, and started to get crash issues.

Yes, it works (very well) on Series X.

That might be a hard drive issue. I had the same thing when I first got mine, though a different game. Eventually I sent it off to MS and got it replaced.

But obviously before you do all that - unplug / replug; uninstall / reinstall; and I'd also recommend giving MS's chat support a go. It's actually really good.
I haven't had issues with other games. I'll see if a reinstall fixes it. Thanks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm, definitely sounds unusual. I've played RDR2 a ton on Series X, both single player and offline and haven't had any issues more so than any other game (basically none worth remembering or being noteworthy).

The "Took to long to start" bug for me happens to me a fair amount on Xbox because of an external hard drive. I've pinpointed it to this external HDD, where sometimes when the cosnole is in sleep, and a game on the external drive has to update but the HDD is not spinning (it has an external PSU), the game won't updatea dnt hen I'll have to reset the Xbox for it to "wake up" the HDD and start doing it's thing. It's only Xbox 360/One games on my external but still something that's annoying for me. it's a bug with that Western Digital HDD, and so I should swap it over to something else.

Usually a hard reset (hold the Xbox button down for 8 seconds) will fix that problem for me in any game that won't load.

I'd try deleting everything associted with the game, reinstalling it, and installing it locally on the built in SSD or on one of those NVME SSD memory cards.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I heard rumblings of a next-gen patch continue or hold off playing?

You heard rumblings of it, or asking others? Haven't heard shit unfortunately. Everything is bull shit algorithm videogame websites ... GameRantX: "RELEASE DATE FOR NEXTGEN ENHANCED RDR2" and then it's just 1800 words of utter bull shit and aaaaaalot of lumbago pill ads

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
You heard rumblings of it, or asking others? Haven't heard shit unfortunately. Everything is bull shit algorithm videogame websites ... GameRantX: "RELEASE DATE FOR NEXTGEN ENHANCED RDR2" and then it's just 1800 words of utter bull shit and aaaaaalot of lumbago pill ads

Looking again looks like nonsense. Bumps to old articles or deleted stuff. I hate all they bait.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Looking again looks like nonsense. Bumps to old articles or deleted stuff. I hate all they bait.
Nothing has been officially announced or confirmed but at least there's hope given how Rockstar has milked GTAV for a decade. I think people are still just salty that we can't get an HD remaster for RDR1 since it was MacGuyvered together with toothpicks and chewing gum and can't be ported to modern systems so it's fun to know that RDR2 remastered is at least technically possible.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully back in love with this game. Having finished the story once I feel like I can just enjoy the atmosphere and random stuff in the game. I think I was a little overwhelmed with side stuff and story missions on the first play through. Still looks super good when playing on series x.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Replaying the game on PC after beating it on the base PS4 a few years ago, the jump of fidelity is almost day and night. And it's nuts that I still missed some content of the games even though I had previously spent dozens of hours.

Just finished the Tucker stranger quest in the Grizzlies, and holy shit, I really didn't expect the ending.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I just want a 60fps patch to replay this game.
it was a incredible experience for me to play this in 2018.
it's one of my favorite games of all time, but I feel that I really need the 60 fps patch to replay the game.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus the amount of slow walk padding bullshit in this as the game goes on is ridiculous.

I'm at the start of Chapter 5 and there's at least 2-3 hours of the game that could have been replaced with a total of 10 minutes of cutscenes at most.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
i'm finally playing through this and I love it...so much that it's taken me two years to get to chapter 6 .

Here's something though that kicked in a memory from the back of my head out of nowhere.

The OST one of the songs uses a sample from Body Harvest 64.

The moment I heard the notes my mind was sent back years in time just now and I had to share it cause it really freaked me out in a good way.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
i'm finally playing through this and I love it...so much that it's taken me two years to get to chapter 6 .

Here's something though that kicked in a memory from the back of my head out of nowhere.

The OST one of the songs uses a sample from Body Harvest 64.

The moment I heard the notes my mind was sent back years in time just now and I had to share it cause it really freaked me out in a good way.

Oh wow, really?

Any idea how to narrow it down so we can try to find it? Google gave me nothing.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm hoping for an update too, but the likely scenario would be a new release like they've done with GTA V I think... Hopefully they surprise us with a patch instead.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but my backlog is still stacked but I feel like coming back to this masterpiece once again on these hot summer nights. Is it summertime sadness or it's like the perfect summer game I have no idea lol (and that applies to most R* games for a reason).

The amount of gore and sadism on this game is so-well made and organically implemented in this game, that is still keeps getting my head explode in certain moments.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but my backlog is still stacked but I feel like coming back to this masterpiece once again on these hot summer nights. Is it summertime sadness or it's like the perfect summer game I have no idea lol (and that applies to most R* games for a reason).

The amount of gore and sadism on this game is so-well made and organically implemented in this game, that is still keeps getting my head explode in certain moments.

We're all living vicariously thru this thread right now as Sn00zer plays through it for the first time:

www.resetera.com

LTTP: Red Dead 2

What The Fuck Around 5 hours in....how does this game exist. I am genuinely shocked by this game. They made a AAA cowboy simulator? I was expecting GTA with cowboys, but instead it's a simulator game? I have to grow out my hair to unlock particular styles that are only possible with that length...

Makes me want to launch it and start over too

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this break up and just got to act 4. Feels weird in this setting.

Missing an achievement for fun with friends because I didn't rob a house with someone in an earlier chapter.

Towards the end of chapter three, the search and burning of the mansion was fantastic. The pacing and builds up of the soundtrack in tandem of a mission is sublime.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to apply some mods to the PC version, and having a single mod manager that keeps track of them all would be handy, especially something like Vortex which can auto-update mods from Nexus.

But in RDR2's case, not every mod can be downloaded through Vortex, and there seem to be no less than three different mod managers (including a mod manager that can be downloaded through Vortex, which....what? why?).

So I just wanted to know if there was just a single mod manager out there that I could use to install every known mod out there.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Nice to see them releasing patches still at least. While I wish for a 60fps patch, at least this game is very playable in 30 fps. I am only on chapter 3 still. I have been taking it ultra slow with taking breaks every now and then. Probably spent more time playing poker than the actual game. Seems like the right way to approach it for me.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Picking this up again and had a question about FPS counters. I've added this as a non steam game but the Steam FPS counter is not showing up? I also tried adding the launcher, but nothing.

Windows Game Bar FPS has never worked for me either, just a --- whenever I try to use it. I refuse to use GeForce Experience, trash app.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Been picking off some end-game stuff and honestly I'm really thinking about going for a fresh playthrough.

The game still looks gorgeous and the RPG mechanics are 100% my jam.

But the backlog is looking crazy and that's because it's not like I've had hours of free time anyway ...

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Been picking off some end-game stuff and honestly I'm really thinking about going for a fresh playthrough.

The game still looks gorgeous and the RPG mechanics are 100% my jam.

But the backlog is looking crazy and that's because it's not like I've had hours of free time anyway ...

I bit the bullet and started a new one earlier this year and I'll play 10-15 hour chunks between other games and it has been totally worth it. The game is just superb. And it's easy to step a way for a month then jump back in and easily get sucked in for a dozen hours.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Been spending my revisit huntin', craftin', n' playin' poker.

The challenges and tasks add some general goals which I'll springboard into some outdoors exploration.

It's a relaxing go-to for when you want to just chill at the end of the day.