• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Some people have posted recommendations for eliminating dead zone, turning accelleration all the way up, and turning the "Toggle to Run" instead of "Tap to run" mechanic. It comes up every couple pages when someone starts out I'll try to find it.

The controls are still Rockstar-ish controls... Like, player movement has a lot of weight to it and the physics leads the characters/horses to feel like they have a mind of their own. It's contravercial, but I'm of the mind that it makes the game better in the long run.

This initially threw me - but now it feels like I'd have a hard time going back to other games where people and modes of transport feel like they have no weight or personality.

Comparing it to the last first/third person game I played (....back when DayZ was a mod....), arma2 is so very realistic with many things, but running felt like gliding, and any land vehicle from car to bike felt like a paper airplane ready to launch into the sky over a small bump.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Me and a friend can't play this together on PC, getting an error about incompatible assets.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Began the game back in January. And last night I finally finished the second epilogue, roll credits.

And there's still MORE?? Immediately I got an Uncle item request, and there are still stranger missions popping up. Wild.

Question: I am visiting all the grave sites. At the Chapter 1 camp John reflects back on a conversation with Abigail - does this happen at every camp? I also went over to the Chapter 3 camp but no convos - should I have visited the Chapter 2 camp first?

Overall impressions but spoiler protected:

I would like a game following Charles now. And Sadie. And Hosea.

If Dutch has just listened to Hosea, they clearly would've been perfectly fine, right? Since Agent Milton only started tracking them after the Cornwall robbery? And apparently the Blackwater money was so easy to get since Micah got it.

There were a lot of disturbing stranger missions and hidden scenes - I think the serial killer was up there, as was the family killed by a bad fireplace.

The two convicts (White and Black) becoming besties was among my favorites. I wish Arthur had gotten to interact more with the monk. The story of Arthur's son caught me off guard.

LEEENNNNYYY might be one of my favorite random sequences in gaming.

Some times I would duel wield pistols when rifle or shotgun would've been better because got dang Arthur looked cool doing it.

As Arthur: duel wield scoffields, blue metal
As John: mouser and a sawed off shotgun

I never did settle on an alternative outfit I thought perfect for Arthur. But I did like the white buffalo jacket.

Arthur would've been happy with Charlotte.

I threw some would-be rapists to alligators and I do not regret it.

I once killed two wolves as they played and I regretted it.

Grizzly bears are mean.

The chores were oddly satisfying.

Some stranger missions or encounters would happen to quickly for me and someone would wind up dead before I'd decided which direction something was happening.

Arthur killing legendary animals after meeting Albert Mason felt weird. Wish there was an alternate quest where you could take pictures for some kind of equivalent reward. But the trapper was cool.

Hearing Willie Nelson was a surprising treat.

The crescendo of music as John reached the final mountain was great.

Fuck Dutch. After all that just shoots Micah and walks away angrily? John should not have thanked him.

This is the best single player game I've ever played. And I ended up refunding it the very first time I bought it out of instant buyers remorse. Many thanks to whoever here initially sold me back on the game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Began the game back in January. And last night I finally finished the second epilogue, roll credits.

And there's still MORE?? Immediately I got an Uncle item request, and there are still stranger missions popping up. Wild.

Question: I am visiting all the grave sites. At the Chapter 1 camp John reflects back on a conversation with Abigail - does this happen at every camp? I also went over to the Chapter 3 camp but no convos - should I have visited the Chapter 2 camp first?

Overall impressions but spoiler protected:

I would like a game following Charles now. And Sadie. And Hosea.

If Dutch has just listened to Hosea, they clearly would've been perfectly fine, right? Since Agent Milton only started tracking them after the Cornwall robbery? And apparently the Blackwater money was so easy to get since Micah got it.

There were a lot of disturbing stranger missions and hidden scenes - I think the serial killer was up there, as was the family killed by a bad fireplace.

The two convicts (White and Black) becoming besties was among my favorites. I wish Arthur had gotten to interact more with the monk. The story of Arthur's son caught me off guard.

LEEENNNNYYY might be one of my favorite random sequences in gaming.

Some times I would duel wield pistols when rifle or shotgun would've been better because got dang Arthur looked cool doing it.

As Arthur: duel wield scoffields, blue metal
As John: mouser and a sawed off shotgun

I never did settle on an alternative outfit I thought perfect for Arthur. But I did like the white buffalo jacket.

Arthur would've been happy with Charlotte.

I threw some would-be rapists to alligators and I do not regret it.

I once killed two wolves as they played and I regretted it.

Grizzly bears are mean.

The chores were oddly satisfying.

Some stranger missions or encounters would happen to quickly for me and someone would wind up dead before I'd decided which direction something was happening.

Arthur killing legendary animals after meeting Albert Mason felt weird. Wish there was an alternate quest where you could take pictures for some kind of equivalent reward. But the trapper was cool.

Hearing Willie Nelson was a surprising treat.

The crescendo of music as John reached the final mountain was great.

Fuck Dutch. After all that just shoots Micah and walks away angrily? John should not have thanked him.

This is the best single player game I've ever played. And I ended up refunding it the very first time I bought it out of instant buyers remorse. Many thanks to whoever here initially sold me back on the game.

Great takes i love your takes on it. Also so glad you stuck with it and it was a hit. I feel similarly and I think there's so many people coming back to this game and saying "holy shit I'm glad I played through it"

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new game back on the 5th. I'm doing as much side stuff as possible (a lot of which I missed the first go around) before I continue on with the main story. I haven't even rescued Sean and Micah yet, though I was forced into "that" mission by Strauss after reading a letter at camp. Hoped I could delay that one as much as possible.

All master hunter challenges done, three main treasure map quests & explorer challenges done, camp is fully upgraded (both ledger and crafting), all satchels crafted, all legendary animals in Arthur's part of the map killed/sold (sans gator), White Arabian horse tamed, and multiple bonus items found. I'm currently rocking the gambler outfit with the tri-capped hat. Everyone keeps insulting me.

Quick question for the literary people here: Did the Miller person Dutch fawns over so much actually exist? I'm paying more attention to the camp conversations and it's funny how much Dutch praises him while everyone else is like "Ok..." I missed the beginning of the convo but Dutch and Lenny got into an argument once because Lenny apparently said Miller was full of shit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the main story yesterday.

Man, what a game.

Arthur Morgan is my favourite protagonist of all time.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new game back on the 5th. I'm doing as much side stuff as possible (a lot of which I missed the first go around) before I continue on with the main story. I haven't even rescued Sean and Micah yet, though I was forced into "that" mission by Strauss after reading a letter at camp. Hoped I could delay that one as much as possible.

All master hunter challenges done, three main treasure map quests & explorer challenges done, camp is fully upgraded (both ledger and crafting), all satchels crafted, all legendary animals in Arthur's part of the map killed/sold (sans gator), White Arabian horse tamed, and multiple bonus items found. I'm currently rocking the gambler outfit with the tri-capped hat. Everyone keeps insulting me.

Quick question for the literary people here: Did the Miller person Dutch fawns over so much actually exist? I'm paying more attention to the camp conversations and it's funny how much Dutch praises him while everyone else is like "Ok..." I missed the beginning of the convo but Dutch and Lenny got into an argument once because Lenny apparently said Miller was full of shit.

Miller is supposed to be close to the transcendentalists, although they pre-date the games time line by half a century.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Miller is supposed to be close to the transcendentalists, although they pre-date the games time line by half a century.

Interesting, thanks. Just from a quick tipsy research there wasn't a Miller at the time of the game or before about the topic, though someone is welcome to correct me. Dutch mentions him enough that I wonder if Miller's just an alias for Dutch, ie he tried his hand as a writer, failed, and during Arthur's time he still tries to show off his prose.

Again anyone's welcome to correct me.

Damn those gambling challenges are a pain.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So help me out, I finished the game....

Should I just try to complete everything as John or replay from a new game and go for 100%? I love Arthur so much.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So help me out, I finished the game....

Should I just try to complete everything as John or replay from a new game and go for 100%? I love Arthur so much.
Personally, I didn't bother doing a 100% run until I was fully invested in maxing as much as possible in chapters 2 and 3 (and a little in 4). It allows you to focus more on the story through the escalating tension later in the story. Now keep in mind, you can't actually do everything challenge-wise until the epilogue anyway due to parts of the map being locked away, so even if you do as much as possible, you'll still be chasing some final stuff as you go through the epilogue. But it felt much, much better to me to focus on that stuff early in the story and basically just use story missions as a nice break between challenges and fetch quests. I will also say that upon achieving 100%, I promptly stopped playing, and I've only loaded the game up one time in the past 5 months or so (who even knows the passage of time anymore) to look at some pretty vistas for a couple minutes and then close it again. So, yeah, definitely a vote for "do it early" because I will guarantee that when you're done, you won't want to come back anytime soon.

Also, my desktop backgrounds at this point are basically just a rotating montage of gorgeous RDR2 screenshots from users on this very site (from the PC screenshots thread), and a lot of them make me feel intensely nostalgic for a game that is less than two years old. Like I get legitimately wistful. I'll probably resume a playthrough in late Chapter 2 here fairly soon (right around when you learn to fish) and focus on challenges and exploration again. It's just such a wonderful world to get lost in.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I was gutted.

I'll be honest, it should've ended there imo
Open spoilers for epilogue and endgame content:
I can understand why they made the choice to include the epilogues. First, it's an open-world game, and one of the fundamental parts of an open-world game is that even if the narrative ends, you can continue exploring the world. Obviously you can't do that if your character is dead, and the option of "go back in time to before Arthur dies" is ham-fisted at best (other games have struggled with this point of no return thing as well). But you can't just say "and now you're John" and that's an end of it, because we KNOW that something has to happen to John between running away from the gang in the East and making his way to Armadillo in RDR1. So, OK, stretch out John's story and give us the lead-up to RDR1. I don't mind it, even if I think that ending the game on Arthur's death would have been absolutely perfect.

The problem I have is that the epilogues, as a self-contained story, go on too long. They're a second, unrelated narrative that is not needed. They are a "scouring of the Shire" when the ring has already been destroyed. It's superfluous. Witcher 3 is, in my opinion, the only game that has ever managed this successfully through the brilliant DLC expansions Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine; standalone stories that integrate with the world as we know it while expanding it into previously unseen areas. That Rockstar felt heavily invested in developing Marston's story sucks a lot of wind out of the sails of an otherwise perfect ending to a tragic tale. And worse than being superfluous, it undercuts the narrative of RDR1 that Marston is a stranger in a strange land; no he isn't, he's been traversing it for the better part of a decade.

I think the epilogues underscore the biggest problem with RDR2, and one that I think is impossible to reconcile. On the one hand, Rockstar has created the most immaculately detailed virtual world in open world gaming history. It is beyond reproach. It begs to be explored and it continuously rewards that exploration. On the other hand, Rockstar are presenting a brilliant story which offers essentially no player choice whatsoever. Sure, there are a couple times where you can kill someone or spare them, but most missions are so on-rails that if you make even the slightest deviation to try a different tactic, you automatically fail. Rockstar has designed an open-world game with unlimited freedom of exploration outside of missions and forced rigidity within them, and that dichotomy causes a constant dissonance in how I am supposed to approach what the game has to offer. In the world, I can do what I want. In a mission, I must do what Rockstar wants. So when it comes to an endgame, we are locked into narrative choices that can only end in one way, a way which prevents the open world from continuing unless concessions are made; enter John Marston. It's a design choice of necessity, and a choice which comes with its own host of problems, because now we are experiencing a continuation of a story from a character whose fate is already known. So it ultimately not only sucks us away from Arthur's story, but it just comes off as unnecessary padding.

Now I like the epilogues and the fact that we can explore West Elizabeth and New Austin, don't get me wrong. I think Marston's story would have been great as DLC down the road. But that doesn't work with the open world game format; how do we continue playing after Arthur dies? And that's the great problem with wanting the freedom of an open world and a completely locked down narrative where choices don't affect the outcome.

And while I'm on it, can we just talk about how, in a game with some truly great musical interjections, two of them happen in the epilogue? Willie Nelson coming on with Cruel World while you drive away from Pronghorn Ranch for the last time and the housebuilding theme? Great stuff.

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019

im on my second playthrough and I will say, without spoiling, you can meet this man after the credits through a side quest which I would recommend you seek out

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
3meZ7FA.jpg

Just finished my second playthrough this weekend, just got to Epilogue II.

Wonderful game, still love it, but something I took note of this second time through was that they cram *a lot* of story into Chapter 6. So much of consequence happens in Chapter 6, I think they probably could have done a better job spreading it out. Like so many characters develop in that chapter, but only in that chapter. John, Abigail, Arthur (obviously), Sadie, Charles, and others, they're all excellent characters who develop in realistic ways, but on my second play through I was paying attention a bit more because I knew the story was wrapping up soon, and I noticed how they crammed a lot of that development into a single chapter, where I think they could have spread it out better.

I also think that the storyline with the Wapiti tribe could have been spread out throughout the whole game, rather than basically only taking place in Chapter 6. You briefly see them right at the end of Chapteer 1 in a passing moment, and then you briefly meet them again n Chapter 4, and then they're major characters in chapter 6... but I feel like those missions might have been more interspersed throughout. I'm not sure how at this point. I suppose you could run a risk of players forgetting the story arc with each character from the tribe so maybe it works best as a single chapter. They generally followed that format for most of the "other" storylines... chapter 3 follows the feuding two families, chapter 4 follows the Henri Lemoeux and others in St Dennis, chapter 5 follows the feud in Guarma, Ch 6 the wapiti story... So it followed a trend, but still.

I dunno if we're still spoilering this, but if so:

I noted this time how Agent Milton tells you that they turned Micah Bell after you get back from Guarma. I remembered from my first play through that Micah was the rat, but didn't remember when he was turned, so I was looking for it throughout a lot of the story. It seemed like they could have extended that back, as Micah was instrumental in a lot of the schemes that they always got caught in earlier ... The train robbery that seemed like a setup, the bank job in Saint Denis, and everything else, Micah was always very present in the planning of those, and so it seemed like they could have made him the rat since before Guarma, not just after. I know they had Molly as the rat prior, but I'd rather it be a significant character for the important events and not just a forgettable side piece of Dutch. For instance, if Molly is how they get found out in an early camp then that's one thing, it sets the pretense for who the baddie is so that you're then *looking* for a rat throughout the story, which is something they missed the opportunity with IMO. "Who's the rat" is such a successful trope in crime fiction, I think they could have used it more. You don't even really get a sense that there is a rat until Milton tells you straight up that MIcah is a rat, and I think they probably could have done it better anyway ... Like have Arthur sort of discover hints of this on his own, instead of literally having Milton tell you in one of those final missions when you're at gunpoint.

Still really wish there was a steamer that connected Blackwater to Saint Denis, similar to how trains and wagons connect different places, seems like a missed opportunity. Especially because Red Dead Redemption starts with John on a steamer coming into Blackwater.

On that topic I did find this railroad map in the game. This is still before the epilogue, but I like how it shows two distinct train lines that aren't yet connected through Blackwater, where RDR picks up (and begins with that rail line connected thru to Blackwater, and you can imagine using your imagination for how that might connect up with the rest of the RDR2 map).

mEHyMYE.jpg

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the latest patch screw anyone else up on PC in single player?

I just loaded in and like, half of my body wasn't there as well as parts of the environment, they slowly returned to normal but I was also forced into a duel with uh...nothing? Had to fire it off to get it to stop.

Had some weird ass artifacts after too.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Did the latest patch screw anyone else up on PC in single player?

I just loaded in and like, half of my body wasn't there as well as parts of the environment, they slowly returned to normal but I was also forced into a duel with uh...nothing? Had to fire it off to get it to stop.

Had some weird ass artifacts after too.
I've had some weird things happen. The desktop will occasionally flash on screen and a few other minor graphical issues that happen at times.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Just some general screenshots from my last play through. Imgur, lower res. I generally love landscapes.

Any in Spoilers are marked so.

gNgEnHh.jpg

t1RXQaI.jpg

s1t6O7o.jpg

3CRzbzg.jpg

JzRylpC.jpg

cw2nm7x.jpg

0r2EqDn.jpg

MJrrw9S.jpg

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still thinking about starting. Just about 2 weeks before it leaves. But it's really unlikely I can finish. That's like 3-5 hours a day..

Ooh, RDR2 is dropping off of gamepass?

I'd definitely try to play it if you haven't. Although I think most people really have the game make an impact on them later in their playthroughs, I think it's a tough game to rush through quickly in a couple weeks. There's just so many ways to get distracted in it, and I think chasing those distractions is the best way to play it.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
I was playing yesterday (what a great game, it totally clicked for me this last month) and I clipped this great unexpected 1-minute video. I suggest you turn on the audio:

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm trying to hop in just to meander around for a little while, but it's been a long time since I played and now I have to download a 5 GB update. I'm not even wanting to play online, I just want to roam around in singleplayer. Mandatory updates for single player games are absurd.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I finally started playing this game since i didn't have the opportunity to do so before. Red Dead Redemption 1 was essentially my favorite game ever for the LONGEST time, up until BOTW released. Because i was so enamored with RDR 1, i became a huge rockstar games fan and played through essentially everything they released and loved a lot of their stuff almost as much as rdr 1, but none hit as perfectly as RDR 1. The following games after RDR 1 (LA Noire, MP 3 and GTA V) i anticipated all of them as much as someone could because of how much RDR 1 affected me, and while all three have lots of qualities to them, i was disappointed with all three, especially story wise. Biggest disappointment was with GTA V since i felt the story was so immature and went in a direction i really didn't want after seeing how rockstar was maturing with their narratives before that. Its still a supremely well made game with a lot of great moments, but also a game that feels a bit too mean spirited towards certain groups of marginalized people and just with kinda characters. The torture mission is still baffling to me to this day. After that i also got less enthused with rockstar after seeing the employee treatment issues and kinda wrote them off for a while. It was easy to do so considering how their output this gen was only one game. I was also worried with RDR 2 since at that point i was thinking that the original might have been a fluke lol.

But boy did RDR 2 prove me that they still got it. I haven't finished it yet (just hit chapter 4), but this is shaping up to be my favorite game ever. Above RDR 1, above BOTW. Its the ultimate open world game for me. I love the characters. The game has some of the typical rockstar characters, but the game also is just so much more mature in a lot of ways compared to their previous output. It's shocking that the same group that wrote GTA V also wrote this game. I do wish that GTA matured a bit but i don't know the type of expectations of a regular GTA fan has with the franchise. I love when they go hard on details and simulation and don't care a lot for the super zany stuff, so i'm certainly not the one to ask lol. I'm also glad that there are recent reports of employee treatment being much better there. I do hope that whatever happens next with them, even without lazlow, dan houser and leslie benzies (which RDR 2 proved that they still had it even without such a key figure) that they still bring some amazing games to me. Its also a shame that their output frequency has reduced so much, but hey, if it means that every 5 years i get a RDR 2 level game, im fine.

Also the soundtrack... perfect. From the ambient tracks while exploring to the combat music, it all perfect.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
3meZ7FA.jpg

Just finished my second playthrough this weekend, just got to Epilogue II.

Wonderful game, still love it, but something I took note of this second time through was that they cram *a lot* of story into Chapter 6. So much of consequence happens in Chapter 6, I think they probably could have done a better job spreading it out. Like so many characters develop in that chapter, but only in that chapter. John, Abigail, Arthur (obviously), Sadie, Charles, and others, they're all excellent characters who develop in realistic ways, but on my second play through I was paying attention a bit more because I knew the story was wrapping up soon, and I noticed how they crammed a lot of that development into a single chapter, where I think they could have spread it out better.

I also think that the storyline with the Wapiti tribe could have been spread out throughout the whole game, rather than basically only taking place in Chapter 6. You briefly see them right at the end of Chapteer 1 in a passing moment, and then you briefly meet them again n Chapter 4, and then they're major characters in chapter 6... but I feel like those missions might have been more interspersed throughout. I'm not sure how at this point. I suppose you could run a risk of players forgetting the story arc with each character from the tribe so maybe it works best as a single chapter. They generally followed that format for most of the "other" storylines... chapter 3 follows the feuding two families, chapter 4 follows the Henri Lemoeux and others in St Dennis, chapter 5 follows the feud in Guarma, Ch 6 the wapiti story... So it followed a trend, but still.

I dunno if we're still spoilering this, but if so:

I noted this time how Agent Milton tells you that they turned Micah Bell after you get back from Guarma. I remembered from my first play through that Micah was the rat, but didn't remember when he was turned, so I was looking for it throughout a lot of the story. It seemed like they could have extended that back, as Micah was instrumental in a lot of the schemes that they always got caught in earlier ... The train robbery that seemed like a setup, the bank job in Saint Denis, and everything else, Micah was always very present in the planning of those, and so it seemed like they could have made him the rat since before Guarma, not just after. I know they had Molly as the rat prior, but I'd rather it be a significant character for the important events and not just a forgettable side piece of Dutch. For instance, if Molly is how they get found out in an early camp then that's one thing, it sets the pretense for who the baddie is so that you're then *looking* for a rat throughout the story, which is something they missed the opportunity with IMO. "Who's the rat" is such a successful trope in crime fiction, I think they could have used it more. You don't even really get a sense that there is a rat until Milton tells you straight up that MIcah is a rat, and I think they probably could have done it better anyway ... Like have Arthur sort of discover hints of this on his own, instead of literally having Milton tell you in one of those final missions when you're at gunpoint.

Still really wish there was a steamer that connected Blackwater to Saint Denis, similar to how trains and wagons connect different places, seems like a missed opportunity. Especially because Red Dead Redemption starts with John on a steamer coming into Blackwater.

On that topic I did find this railroad map in the game. This is still before the epilogue, but I like how it shows two distinct train lines that aren't yet connected through Blackwater, where RDR picks up (and begins with that rail line connected thru to Blackwater, and you can imagine using your imagination for how that might connect up with the rest of the RDR2 map).

mEHyMYE.jpg
Funny. I just finished the game for a second time, too (although your post's now nearly two months old).

Chapter 6 easily is the one with the fastest pace imo, but I did think it still worked, especially since most of the characters were already introduced in ch. 4.
In the end, it's less about the Natives, it's more about Dutch. Dutch, a cult leader, was only looking for a new gang of impressionable people to fuel his own ego and drive for control and Eagle Flies was right there.
I dunno, the second time around I actually liked it better, as I remember to be a bit overwhelmed on my first playthrough but it did work really well actually.
Ch. 5 is arguably the chapter with the most development, for both Dutch and Arthur. Abigail really didn't develop much, actually. I felt like she always had her head on straight and just wanted to get out lol
And wait...I thought Molly DIDN'T snitch? As Milton spoke to her a buncha times but she kept shut.
Anyway. Fantastic game and also just a lot of fun to roam around in. Can't wait for a third playthrough on PC.

...as for that matter:
Is there a way to just free roam as Arthur after the epilogue? I.e. complete left over sidequests, finish the challenges, go hunting etc. I have read of trainers, but it all seems a bit inconclusive tbh 🤷‍♀️

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Funny. I just finished the game for a second time, too (although your post's now nearly two months old).

Chapter 6 easily is the one with the fastest pace imo, but I did think it still worked, especially since most of the characters were already introduced in ch. 4.
In the end, it's less about the Natives, it's more about Dutch. Dutch, a cult leader, was only looking for a new gang of impressionable people to fuel his own ego and drive for control and Eagle Flies was right there.
I dunno, the second time around I actually liked it better, as I remember to be a bit overwhelmed on my first playthrough but it did work really well actually.
Ch. 5 is arguably the chapter with the most development, for both Dutch and Arthur. Abigail really didn't develop much, actually. I felt like she always had her head on straight and just wanted to get out lol
And wait...I thought Molly DIDN'T snitch? As Milton spoke to her a buncha times but she kept shut.
Anyway. Fantastic game and also just a lot of fun to roam around in. Can't wait for a third playthrough on PC.

...as for that matter:
Is there a way to just free roam as Arthur after the epilogue? I.e. complete left over sidequests, finish the challenges, go hunting etc. I have read of trainers, but it all seems a bit inconclusive tbh 🤷‍♀️

To your question about the end game on pc -

The answer is yes and no which is why you've gotten inconclusive info. There are mods and trainers available that will let you free roam as Arthur. But the issue the modding community has encountered with stranger and side missions is the sheer depth of content available after Chapter Six. Some Epilogue exclusive content is only meant to be played as John Marston. And then every piece of content available during the main game and also available endgame has two scripts - one for Arthur and one for John. Take The Veteran for example, you can complete his missions as Arthur and it's a rather bittersweet ending as the final mission is only available in Chapter Six when Arthur is dying. Yet it's also available during the epilogues as John and the ending is instead the two of them reminiscing about Arthur's legacy.

There's a lot of this kind of content which makes it tricky to mod a blanket solution of just "insert Arthur here." Hope that makes sense.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
To your question about the end game on pc -

The answer is yes and no which is why you've gotten inconclusive info. There are mods and trainers available that will let you free roam as Arthur. But the issue the modding community has encountered with stranger and side missions is the sheer depth of content available after Chapter Six. Some Epilogue exclusive content is only meant to be played as John Marston. And then every piece of content available during the main game and also available endgame has two scripts - one for Arthur and one for John. Take The Veteran for example, you can complete his missions as Arthur and it's a rather bittersweet ending as the final mission is only available in Chapter Six when Arthur is dying. Yet it's also available during the epilogues as John and the ending is instead the two of them reminiscing about Arthur's legacy.

There's a lot of this kind of content which makes it tricky to mod a blanket solution of just "insert Arthur here." Hope that makes sense.
Totally makes sense.
However the question then becomes, how are the scripts tied to which character? Or is that the part that causes the confusion?
Let's say I'm playing The Veteran in the epilogue - are the scripts then tied to the chapter (meaning you'd get John's cutscene regardless of what you do or who you've switched to) or to the character (i.e. I could still get Arthur's bittersweet ending after the epilogue when playing as him)?

Thinking about it, I do see how it's so tricky though lol Like all the collectibles, of which I've completed none as that's endgame material for me, you'd get two sets of cutscenes.

So "annoying" that the epilogue is so long. In RDR1 I'd have a safe just before getting back to the ranch to complete everything and then do those last 3 missions or so for completion.
In either case - any particular mod you can recommend? The top one on nexus appears to be abandoned judging by the comments.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Totally makes sense.
However the question then becomes, how are the scripts tied to which character? Or is that the part that causes the confusion?
Let's say I'm playing The Veteran in the epilogue - are the scripts then tied to the chapter (meaning you'd get John's cutscene regardless of what you do or who you've switched to) or to the character (i.e. I could still get Arthur's bittersweet ending after the epilogue when playing as him)?

Thinking about it, I do see how it's so tricky though lol Like all the collectibles, of which I've completed none as that's endgame material for me, you'd get two sets of cutscenes.

So "annoying" that the epilogue is so long. In RDR1 I'd have a safe just before getting back to the ranch to complete everything and then do those last 3 missions or so for completion.
In either case - any particular mod you can recommend? The top one on nexus appears to be abandoned judging by the comments.

Not really. The only one I use is a mod to increase the length of the day/night cycle. Otherwise I feel like the game is perfect.

Tho I would love a mod that lets you load a wagon with skins. Would make setting up a remote hunting camp a lot better.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
OH FFS!!! LOL

18hrs without killing for the .5 gold in the Naturalist daily challenge. I was literally a couple real time mins away and my horse stepped on a rabbit and killed it!!

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Soooo I got the ending accidently spoilt for myself, I just got the game and was looking forward to playing it soon, did I fuck up my experience with the game?
I know Arthur dies by someone named Micah, and also that Arthur gets TB at some point and could die from it in one of the endings

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Soooo I got the ending accidently spoilt for myself, I just got the game and was looking forward to playing it soon, did I fuck up my experience with the game?
I know Arthur dies by someone named Micah, and also that Arthur gets TB at some point and could die from it in one of the endings

I dont want to say whether what you read is true or not, but i extremely recommend you to keep playing. Because sometimes what you need is to look at the bigger picture. And i meant that literally

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I dont want to say whether what you read is true or not, but i extremely recommend you to keep playing. Because sometimes what you need is to look at the bigger picture. And i meant that literally

I haven't even started playing it yet, this why I'm bummed about getting spoilt, especially since it's a huge game :(

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I was spoiled as well when I was still early in the game, but it didn't really ruin my enjoyment. I was really bummed, of course, for getting myself stupidly spoiled (from reading Arthur's wikia because I was looking for his backstory that I missed), but in the end, the game is all about Arthur's journey. Like what Riversands said, I recommend you to continue playing the game too.

Just take your time and enjoy every moment in the game. It's really worth it, even though I got myself spoiled on certain parts of the story.

Oct 25, 2017

Not really, just play it, the game is not about that, is a whole journey, also some stuff you said seems incorrect as far as i remember :)

BTW, most people were specting something like that because how the first one ended, and all (or most) of them enjoyed it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I think many of us got spoiled thanks to assholes in youtube comments, reddit, twitch etc. Just spamming it on unrelated content. That exact string of spoilers? Yep, I got that too, and I was only at the start of chapter 2.

I can't say it didn't affect my experience as it was consistently at the back of my mind, however it still ended up being one of my favorite narratives and games ever. It is an incredible journey.

And if it makes it any better, there's actually far more to the ending than that. So, don't sweat it too much.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I was spoiled as well when I was still early in the game, but it didn't really ruin my enjoyment. I was really bummed, of course, for getting myself stupidly spoiled (from reading Arthur's wikia because I was looking for his backstory that I missed), but in the end, the game is all about Arthur's journey. Like what Riversands said, I recommend you to continue playing the game too.

Just take your time and enjoy every moment in the game. It's really worth it, even though I got myself spoiled on certain parts of the story.
I also knew a bit of the ending before I played it, but there is so much more in the game (and ending!) that you seem to have no spoiled, so play it.
Not really, just play it, the game is not about that, is a whole journey, also some stuff you said seems incorrect as far as i remember :)

BTW, most people were specting something like that because how the first one ended, and all (or most) of them enjoyed it.
I think many of us got spoiled thanks to assholes in youtube comments, reddit, twitch etc. Just spamming it on unrelated content. That exact string of spoilers? Yep, I got that too, and I was only at the start of chapter 2.

I can't say it didn't affect my experience as it was consistently at the back of my mind, however it still ended up being one of my favorite narratives and games ever. It is an incredible journey.

And if it makes it any better, there's actually far more to the ending than that. So, don't sweat it too much.

thanks a lot for the replies! It gave me motivation to start the game and I did start it today and finished the first chapter! Enjoying it a lot so far :D

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Nah it doesn't spoil it at all, because the game is really like ... the story of how Arthur gets there TBH. You'll see what I mean when you play through it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Kinda annoying right now. Every time I try to drink Tennessee Whiskey, it says I'm drinking Caribbean Rum. :( Taking my rum numbers down and my Ten. Whiskey is sitting on 10 still.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
when are you able to fast travel??

was hunting for a bear and now I have to ride the whole way back??

and what to do with animals?
sell them whole?
skin them?
cook them?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
when are you able to fast travel??

was hunting for a bear and now I have to ride the whole way back??

and what to do with animals?
sell them whole?
skin them?
cook them?
Fast travel story mode: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-21-red-dead-redemption-2-fast-travel-4975
fast travel online: reach lvl65 then talk to cripps.
(dunno if any of those two answers are outdated or not)

Animals: I do all the above depending on the needs/mission, etc.