• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find the treasure map where it tells you to go to...
the cliff above the Elysian Pools, look at the tree, walk 20 steps north, 5 steps east? It's very clearly not there. Like, you can tell there's supposed to be a prompt (there's a hole with a rock next to it). Is this a case of I didn't do it quick enough so someone else found it? Or is it just a glitch?
I did this, and when I went to the big rock I kicked over a small rock that was hiding a gold ingot. If there's a hole already then it might be a glitch

Plum

May 31, 2018
OK, yeah, there's definitely some sort of honor gating behind story progress. I just gave money to the poor, saved some slaves, and then gave money to the poor again and it barely even budged.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I loaded the game and my maxed out war horse was nowhere to be found. When I returned to camp, the game replaced it by a very basic brown horse, which even had the same name than the old one (Tupac Amaru, in honor of my first dog). My last save was from hours ago, so I decided to say goodbye to my original stallion and went to get the Arabian, the fastest wild one.

I understand that this is a pretty common bug.

Loving the game so far. Late chapter 3.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
OK, yeah, there's definitely some sort of honor gating behind story progress. I just gave money to the poor, saved some slaves, and then gave money to the poor again and it barely even budged.
There is
very late Chapter 5 or more likely in chapter 6, it's locked behind a missable side mission too.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I believe this is true. I just started chapter 5 and have gone out of my way to be honorable in every random encounter or Stranger mission when given the prompt, I've gone out of my way to greet people, do chores at the camp, etc. and I'll always be one tick away from full honor. I suspect it's the game'ss way of saying that, as a criminal that threatens, beats and kills people including lawmen in the story...it doesn't make sense to allow you to be fully honorable. If I had to guess...
there's probably a point in the game where you either have a discussion with a romantic interest about leaving those ways behind, or a point where you break from your gang leader, or probably most likely...where you switch characters, giving you the ability to be fully honorable.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't go out of my way if you are short on cash. Eventually you'll have more money then you know what to do with and can buy all the camp upgrades.

Any point in upgrading all the tents in camp?

Speaking of contributions, the AI bastards will also just use the money on whatever, one time i came back to camp and saw that Charles decided to spend $100+ I was trying to save on little upgrades and restocks.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There is
very late Chapter 5 or more likely in chapter 6, it's locked behind a missable side mission too.

That sucks but thanks for the info; I'm fine with that spoiler if it means I can know what to do in the future. Does kinda hamper the importance being honourable right now; unless I fuck up somehow I doubt my honor's going to go down.

Is it easy to miss the side mission or does it show up close to where the story takes place in Chapter 5/6?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't believe that Arthur is a fully honourable character anyway, more like he is tortured by not being as good as he would like. Some of his personal writings reflect it a bit. More regretful than truly honourable.

I think turning honour into a video gamey mechanic like that was a big mistake for this game. It is undermines things a big, having it be this red and white meter

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
One thing about open world games that will likely never be solved is the "I've been here already, but I haven't actually" problem. The one where you explore a place before you're supposed to and, when the story takes you there, the game acts like you've never seen the place. Also vice-versa where your return to a place in the narrative is seen as something notable when you've already been back there quite a few times. Just had the former happen to me in early Chapter 4:

Arthur and Dutch act like this is the first time either of them have been to Saint Denis. Meanwhile, I'm wearing clothes bought in Saint Denis, with a haircuit from the Saint Denis Barber, and with guns from the Saint Denis gunshop. You go into a saloon and Arthur makes it out like it's his first time there. I had just cleared that place of rats a few in-game days ago.
It's weird, because they've done a pretty good job with contextual stuff like that in most places. Like, I had a mission with John pretty early in Chapter 2 and we're riding around having a conversation. John mentions Annesburg, and (because I'd wanted to unfog the map early and had already been there) Arthur just says, "yeah, I know the place," and the conversation sort of abruptly ends. Like John was going to tell me more about it but no longer had to.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
some drunk guy crash his carriage, and asked if I can watch over it until he gets back. I stood there hanging around for about 20 minutes, dude never came back.

Would he have came back at some point? Or does he just bail? Never would have imagine Red Dead making me fell like Costanza.
Fuck him. I did the same thing. Like 15 minutes passed so I walked down the path he walked down. He sat down at a tree and fell to sleep. I woke him up and he said some dumb shit to me so I hogtied him, brought him back to his carriage, cut him free, and knocked him out. Didn't even rob him, figured his boss (or any nasty passerby) would do worse.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks but thanks for the info; I'm fine with that spoiler if it means I can know what to do in the future. Does kinda hamper the importance being honourable right now; unless I fuck up somehow I doubt my honor's going to go down.

Is it easy to miss the side mission or does it show up close to where the story takes place in Chapter 5/6?

I wish the game made this clear as it means you have to really play the game morally 'good' from the start, and I wasted a ton of time early on doing good deeds to get the achievement out of the way, so I could be a bastard for the rest of the game!

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Wow...
There is a scene with her, poor little Jack and Arthur where she apologizes for being such a bad mother and she wants to new buy clothes for poor little Jack, but she's too broke and John is useless blahblah. Arthur gave her five bucks.
Guess who has new clothes in Chapter 3?
Damn, I never got this one. I took my time and went to the camp often... It's crazy how much stuff you can miss in this game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Any point in upgrading all the tents in camp?

Speaking of contributions, the AI bastards will also just use the money on whatever, one time i came back to camp and saw that Charles decided to spend $100+ I was trying to save on little upgrades and restocks.
With the animal parts? Not really, it's just cosmetic I believe. The satchels are worth going out of your way for though, huge boost in inventory space when you get all.

It requires you to have high honor to spawn (I had mine at the soft lock), but not hard to find, it's in the mining town by Annesburg, the game takes you there a few times too.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man .. chapter 6's stranger missions .... fuck ..
It's becoming glaringly obvious what Arthur's fate is going to be and it seems like the game is letting him try and come to peace with his demons before it happens ..

That one stranger mission with the woman whose husband I killed earlier and helped in Annesburg .. even after giving her the money and saving her son .. she went back to prostituting .. god dammit ..

It's all kinda brutal ..

Plum

May 31, 2018
It requires you to have high honor to spawn (I had mine at the soft lock), but not hard to find, it's in the mining town by Annesburg, the game takes you there a few times too.

Thanks. I don't think I'm at the soft lock yet (I noticed it's still going up ever-so-slightly) but I'm quite a ways away from that point so there's plenty of opportunity to increase it further. I don't particularly like doing dishonourable stuff in the game anyway, and it's not like money is ever an issue outside of the very early game.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say, I actually wish there were more clothes in the game lol maybe I'm just too obsessed with playing dress up, but I I could use more. And I was hoping the trapper would have some cool items, but I'm not fan of the silly / ridiculous stuff so meh. None of it interests me.

Wow...
There is a scene with her, poor little Jack and Arthur where she apologizes for being such a bad mother and she wants to new buy clothes for poor little Jack, but she's too broke and John is useless blahblah. Arthur gave her five bucks.
Guess who has new clothes in Chapter 3?
I got that one, I couldn't hand her the money fast enough lmao.

Something about Jack's voice actor makes him really sympathetic, felt bad for the kid (and Abigail). And I'm playing Arthur as a high honor character so it fits.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Ok guys, I'm not gonna read through hundreds of pages. Here are my impressions so far.

Everything is unwieldy and cumbersome. While the game strives for realism, there's only so much you can do in a video game. In the end, it all comes down to pressing a button. And boy, do you have to press buttons for all kinds of minor things. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can never keep track of how to do what. Hold this button to do that, press another button to do that, now press the same button to do something else, etc. etc.
There's all this stuff that you are supposed to keep track off, but that ends up feeling unnecessary and a slog (brushing your horse comes to mind).
Also, the inventory system feels way too confusing. I'm on my horse, rifle in hand. I get off the horse, my goddamn rifle is gone and I have to manually retrieve it again. Next time, I do the same thing, and I keep the rifle. I know, I know, there's a good explanation for all of this, but to me it just seems very unintuitive.

Here's an example for the weird juxtaposition between realism and game-y stuff that keeps getting in the way.
Apparently, when my horse dies, it's gone forever. I'm currently on foot running miles and miles to the next damn stable. I had been grooming that damn horse for hours and it died falling down about half a foot! That's just annoying.

What keeps me going, similar to the first game, are the story and the atmosphere.

P.S.: Why won't NPCs ever shut the hell up? All I want to do is READ a letter in peace, and they just keep babbling. Pipe down, Chatty Cathy!

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fourth level of dead eye is a godsend. Motherfucking bullet time. Sharpshooter challenges completed immediately after getting it.

Moriko

May 17, 2018
NYC
Beat the game yesterday and I loved it, I am so glad I didn't quit even though I wanted after so many tedious horse rides and control issues. Loved the characters and story was well written. I would love to revisit the world and do more side content if Rockstar improves on gameplay.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Might you ahem point me in the direction? I've seen neither hide nor hair of a dick or nut in my 40-or-so hours of playing
I've encountered a naked guy who hangs out with wolves around Strawberry iirc, a guy who swims nude by your second camp, a partially nude guy getting spanked(though you only get a tasteful hint of a penis) and you can walk in on two people having sex during the first Lenny mission

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I was just riding out of Saint Denis when a random encounter killed me and, presumably, my horse as well. A literal hail of bullets immediately came down on me from out of nowhere and I had no possible way to escape it.

Now the horse I've had for the entire fucking game is gone through no fault of my own. Replaced by the terrible horse I had right at the beginning.

EDIT: It's not even gone. It was replaced by some garbage starting horse that I had literally never owned before. I had to put down $700 so I could have a horse that was actually worth a damn.

Fuck. This. So. Fucking. Much.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man .. chapter 6's stranger missions .... fuck ..
It's becoming glaringly obvious what Arthur's fate is going to be and it seems like the game is letting him try and come to peace with his demons before it happens ..

That one stranger mission with the woman whose husband I killed earlier and helped in Annesburg .. even after giving her the money and saving her son .. she went back to prostituting .. god dammit ..

It's all kinda brutal ..

are you sure you are even done with that family ?
All hope is not lost...
in my playthrough i saved again the mother from a client, and they left by train with money i gave them and asked not to thank me, they are off for a fresh start elsewhere... despite mother's disease

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
are you sure you are even done with that family ?
All hope is not lost...
in my playthrough i saved again the mother from a client, and they left by train with money i gave them and asked not to thank me, they are off for a fresh start elsewhere... despite mother's disease

^ I don't know if they will come again, but this is what happened in my game (so far).

Chapter 6 stranger mission + story mission spoilers below:

I found the mother in Annesburg prostituting, she asked me to save her son from the miners, i saved him. After a while, the son gave a stranger mission that the mother was with a client and hadn't been back for a while, i found them in the woods and brought the mother back after convincing her to leave that life behind. Back in Annesburg, Arthur gave the mother and son a bunch of money and told them to start a new life without thanking him, they seemed like they would do that.

I thought that would be it for the mission .. the weird thing is that the next scene happened at the end of a STORY mission, not a stranger mission.

This is after I rescued the girl from the cave with those hilbilly type people for setting up the camp there after starting chapter 6 when you're packing up from the swamp camp. Once i brought the girl I rescued from the cave into Annesburg, there was a little scene where Arthur spots the mother from before guiding a client by hand into a room for prostitution purposes, Arthur calls out to her, she looks at Arthur and freaks out and runs into the house locking the door.

I don't know if I broke scripting and did the stranger mission *before* that story section when I wasn't supposed to .. or if there is more to that mission, but going by the sequence I went in, shit is extremely fucked up.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
IudY01b.gif

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
^ I don't know if they will come again, but this is what happened in my game (so far).

I found the mother in Annesburg prostituting, she asked me to save her son from the miners, i saved him. After a while, the son gave a stranger mission that the mother was with a client and hadn't been back for a while, i found them in the woods and brought the mother back after convincing her to leave that life behind. Back in Annesburg, Arthur gave the mother and son a bunch of money and told them to start a new life without thanking him, they seemed like they would do that.

I thought that would be it for the mission .. the weird thing is that the next scene happened at the end of a STORY mission, not a stranger mission.

This is after I rescued the girl from the cave with those hilbilly type people for setting up the camp there after starting chapter 6 when you're packing up from the swamp camp. Once i brought the girl I rescued from the cave into Annesburg, there was a little scene where Arthur spots the mother from before guiding a client by hand into a room for prostitution purposes, Arthur calls out to her, she looks at Arthur and freaks out and runs into the house locking the door.

I don't know if I broke scripting and did the stranger mission *before* that story section when I wasn't supposed to .. or if there is more to that mission, but going by the sequence I went in, shit is extremely fucked up.

I did the same as you.

And it works in a fucked up way.

Though, I do think we broke scripting and that the story mission is meant to be played first. Kind of to show "come back here".

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Good graces,
this is the reverse of what i had xD It made much more sense and i got a happy ending out of my playthrough with this family

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
some drunk guy crash his carriage, and asked if I can watch over it until he gets back. I stood there hanging around for about 20 minutes, dude never came back.

Would he have came back at some point? Or does he just bail? Never would have imagine Red Dead making me fell like Costanza.

If you follow him you'll see him slump down next to a tree a pass out. You played yourself.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, I'm not gonna read through hundreds of pages. Here are my impressions so far.

Everything is unwieldy and cumbersome. While the game strives for realism, there's only so much you can do in a video game. In the end, it all comes down to pressing a button. And boy, do you have to press buttons for all kinds of minor things. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can never keep track of how to do what. Hold this button to do that, press another button to do that, now press the same button to do something else, etc. etc.
There's all this stuff that you are supposed to keep track off, but that ends up feeling unnecessary and a slog (brushing your horse comes to mind).
Also, the inventory system feels way too confusing. I'm on my horse, rifle in hand. I get off the horse, my goddamn rifle is gone and I have to manually retrieve it again. Next time, I do the same thing, and I keep the rifle. I know, I know, there's a good explanation for all of this, but to me it just seems very unintuitive.

Here's an example for the weird juxtaposition between realism and game-y stuff that keeps getting in the way.
Apparently, when my horse dies, it's gone forever. I'm currently on foot running miles and miles to the next damn stable. I had been grooming that damn horse for hours and it died falling down about half a foot! That's just annoying.

What keeps me going, similar to the first game, are the story and the atmosphere.

Save often. I've never had one of my horses die but even if I had, I save every 15-20 minutes so it's not even an issue if it had. Also, you can buy horse revivers to bring back your horse if it's downed.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love/hate the detail from chapter 5/6 onward that:

Character detail

you can see Arthur's eyes being sickly red from a point in Chapter 5 onward, long before he starts coughing and shit.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm bugged but I keep seeing a lot of people interacting and having chat with gang members.
For some reason, I never really have more conversation with anyone except the casual hello and then saying one thing and the next is goodbye.

Am I doing something wrong?

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this was scripted or an insane coincidence, but Chapter 4 spoiler:

After getting Jack back the gang has a party. At some point Dutch gives one of his speeches about hope. He ends his speech with the notion that everything is going to be allright, everyone is going to be allright. And right when he finishes, a massive thunderstorm breaks out. No rain, just black sky and roaring thunder.

That was ominous as hell, but in an amazing way.

Oct 27, 2017
Generally they're more talkative after a mission or if you see them having a conversation with someone else, they'll usually talk about it with you afterwards. And some characters seem to have more unique dialogue than others.

Not sure if this was scripted or an insane coincidence, but Chapter 4 spoiler:

After getting Jack back the gang has a party. At some point Dutch gives one of his speeches about hope. He ends his speech with the notion that everything is going to be allright, everyone is going to be allright. And right when he finishes, a massive thunderstorm breaks out. No rain, just black sky and roaring thunder.

That was ominous as hell, but in an amazing way.

Haha, I had the same post waaaaaay back. I'm guessing it's scripted or we just got really lucky. It really did set the scene.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I'm bugged but I keep seeing a lot of people interacting and having chat with gang members.
For some reason, I never really have more conversation with anyone except the casual hello and then saying one thing and the next is goodbye.

Am I doing something wrong?
They usually only have new stuff to say with Arthur after a story mission. Unless they walk up to you or away from someone else they were talking to, that triggers unique conversations.
You usually just get the "hello, blah, blah, well won't disturbed ya"

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They usually only have new stuff to say with Arthur after a story mission. Unless they walk up to you, that triggers unique conversations.
Usually just the "hello, blah, blah, well won't disturbed ya"

Don't forget when they ask you to sit down and explain what's on your mind /what's wrong :) These pop up from time to time with an exclamation mark on the minimap iirc.

(at first i thought it was a romance thing going on, because the first one happened the day after one of the camp ladies asked me to dance with her.... buuut noooooope, Arthur clings on old memories, sadly...)

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Shit, I was just remembering that at the beginning of the game I had this quest where I was told to track down these legendary gunfighters and I only remember tracking down one of them, but I can't find the rest of them and I don't see the mission in my quest tracker anymore. Is it gone forever? I can't remember if they were cards tha I got that I migh have accidentally sold, but that's what I'm fearing happened