• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The random dynamic interaction on display in this 1 minute clip alone is more impressive to me than anything else I've played in the last few years. The animations and behaviors of AI is just next-level.

Clip contains story spoiler for those who haven't completed Chapter 6:

http://youtu.be/yKSfple1MjE

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? The Horse controls are superb, infact not played a game anywhere near as responsive. I have zero issues with charging into the forest.

Ditto, in my 45hr playthrough so far perhaps crashed only thrice, once riding the horse right into a tree and when prematurely trying to jump over a fence and accidentally bumping into incoming traffic. Outside of those three occurrences, been pretty amazing with the Horse. Riding on a horse back through this beautiful world is so majestic and serene in RDR2 and last time I felt this way was with The Witcher III.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I beat it for a second time the other night. This time I played as a bad guy. The experience was slightly different. I'm still amazed at how awesome the game is. The details, story, and gameplay are unmatched IMO.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I kinda feel the opposite. There is a house owned by a named npc that you kill as a part of a quest. After I killed him I slaughtered his pigs as well. I went back to the house the next day and a random npc was living there and all of the pigs had respawned. I killed that guy and his pigs. Came back the next day and the house was occupied by yet another npc and the pigs. Super imersion breaking for me but my camp was never hungry again.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The random dynamic interaction on display in this 1 minute clip alone is more impressive to me than anything else I've played in the last few years. The animations and behaviors of AI is just next-level.

Holy shit. I played for 140hrs, didn't fast travel once, and constantly come across clips & stories like this I never witnessed during my play through.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"It's too gamey"
"It's too slow"
"It's popular so I'm gonna bitch to show how cool and non-comformist I am"
"I like some other game best and I feel threatened"

Take your pick.
Too gamey? really? From what I can tell people criticizing rdr 2 for not being gamey enough and going for realism and immersion.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Too gamey? really? From what I can tell people criticizing rdr 2 for not being gamey enough and going for realism and immersion.

Yeah. They criticized the animation and the flow of the game for being too realistic and the mission structure for being too gamey (markers and "oudated design").
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
"It's too gamey"
"It's too slow"

Take your pick.

Yeah, how dare someone not enjoy a game you like. Clearly bitching because it's popular.

How about everything in the game being a chore and the missions feeling like shooting galleries straight out of Time Crisis with ridiculous fail states?

It's very divisive. Some people love it, some people hate it, and that's fine.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
the game is not really divisive, it seems to only have its detractors here, elsewhere its critically acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all time

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
the game is not really divisive, it seems to only have its detractors here, elsewhere its critically acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all time
Exactly. The echochamber effect has so many users here unable to see the reality of things outside of this bubble. It's hilarious and super frustrating at the same time.

GAF/Era has always been like this, at least for the 6+ years I've been visiting.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Exactly. The echochamber effect has so many users here unable to see the reality of things outside of this bubble. It's hilarious and super frustrating at the same time.

GAF/Era has always been like this, at least for the 6+ years I've been visiting.
i mean the game won 132 GOTY awards (only GOW was higher). This game is critically loved, and it's not because of the "honeymoon phase"

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can dislike the game without any "eco chamber" influencing me, thanks. It's not my cup of tea for a ton of reasons and I had a bad time while trying to play it, and I am free to discuss those reasons without being dismissed as just part of an echo chamber.

I, personally, find the world to be a boring place for a myriad of reasons. Including design decisions that I think were incorrect, or even bad!

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I can dislike the game without any "eco chamber" influencing me, thanks. It's not my cup of tea for a ton of reasons and I had a bad time while trying to play it, and I am free to discuss those reasons without being dismissed as just part of an echo chamber.
oh of course you can, im just responding to the idea that this game is "divisive" either people think its a masterpiece or not

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the opposite. Very high production values but a slog and a chore when it comes to gameplay. And feels super bloated with filler gameplay sections. And the controls seem like it was designed by rolling dice. I actually just sold it the other day. My backlog is too big. And Sekiro + isn't gonna play itself.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I saw the opposite. Very high production values but a slog and a chore when it comes to gameplay. And feels super bloated with filler gameplay sections. And the controls seem like it was designed by rolling dice. I actually just sold it the other day. My backlog is too big. And Sekiro + isn't gonna play itself.
i guess I really didn't have issues with the controls

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is still the GOAT but goddamn is Division 2 really impressive as well. I mean you can SEE supply lines along the map. The enormous level of detail in the environments helps it feel alive as well.

I hope the game will evolve visually as well like RDR 2 did with railroad and other projects advancing as the story moved on. Ideally every major update should add something/change something to the world.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
RDR2 is still the GOAT but goddamn is Division 2 really impressive as well. I mean you can SEE supply lines along the map. The enormous level of detail in the environments helps it feel alive as well.

I hope the game will evolve visually as well like RDR 2 did with railroad and other projects advancing as the story moved on. Ideally every major update should add something/change something to the world.
Need tot try D2 soon

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The amount of location variety and environment story telling is quite something. There's also the conraminared areas that are dropping with atmosphere and a surprisingly elaborate presence underground. I'm sure they will add new areas as the game grows and there's also currently a lot of untapped potential in the the Dark Zone too.

TD 2 will never get proper credit here due to its art style and the fact that it's made by Ubisoft.

Yeah. They criticized the animation and the flow of the game for being too realistic and the mission structure for being too gamey (markers and "oudated design").

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which is completely fair because those are two entirely separate aspects of the game. One of the fundamental issues that many people have with RDR 2 is that it gives you the illusion of ultimate freedom but at the same time many parts of the game even

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of location variety and environment story telling is quite something. There's also the conraminared areas that are dropping with atmosphere and a surprisingly elaborate presence underground. I'm sure they will add new areas as the game grows and there's also currently a lot of untapped potential in the the Dark Zone too.

TD 2 will never get proper credit here due to its art style and the fact that it's made by Ubisoft.
Man Ive only been to one contaminated area but yeah it was awesome. They need to utilize the echos more.

I also found out you can follow dogs around and they will lead you to loot. Makes the world feel alive AND you get rewarded!

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I don't know, Red Dead seems kinda Dead to me, eh.....

....I'll see myself out

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Weirdly I find RDR2 pseudo-randomness distracting. Initially it feels organic, but the more you play the more you peak behind the curtain and reveal its smoke and mirrors. That woman trapped under a horse was a nice little unexpected event when I first saw it. As were what felt like random ambushes. But I've had them happen in the exact same places and the illusion just falls apart.

I almost prefer the games that don't bother trying to deceive the player into thinking the world is more alive than it is than one that do try, but fail.

At least with the former you knew what you were getting from the outset. But then again im not a big fan of surprises, especially bad ones.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
A positive RDR2 THREAD!? I'm here!

But absolutely, they nailed atmosphere and feeling immersed in an environment. Insanely incredible what they pulled off, every piece of this world has a layer of polish rarely found in even main release titles.

I want to play it again...

It's not really some magical design choice they made though. It's a direct result of the ridiculous budget and resources the game had to begin with. Any AAA designer team would be able to do this given the same budget and resources.

Not really willing to give praise for this.

I've worked at a fair number of studios and this is not true.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like this was the first large open world game that captured some of the... intimacy of the Shenmue games, at least in the larger towns, and particularly in the camps. Not quite the same, but I did get some of that vibe.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Anecdotally about half the people I know really disliked the game and about half liked it. Those who liked it, liked it due to the graphics/story. Those who didn't, disliked it because of the mission design and awful controls.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Which is completely fair because those are two entirely separate aspects of the game. One of the fundamental issues that many people have with RDR 2 is that it gives you the illusion of ultimate freedom but at the same time many parts of the game even
All open worlds are illusions it's how you mask it, they all have inherent limitations. Red dead 2 open world is the best there is

defghik

Feb 15, 2018
Anecdotally about half the people I know really disliked the game and about half liked it. Those who liked it, liked it due to the graphics/story. Those who didn't, disliked it because of the mission design and awful controls.
Yeah this is my experience too, the "only in the ERA bubble does anybody dislike the game!" excuse is really weird - the reasons I've heard in real life for not liking it are the same as what you read here.

Different strokes for different folks. Lots of people consider it the most immersive game of all time but to me it's the least immersive game I've played in years because the clunky, laggy, unresponsive controls make me painfully aware at every moment that I'm playing a game - but I can totally understand why people who aren't bothered by that would absolutely love the game and get lost in the world.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah this is my experience too, the "only in the ERA bubble does anybody dislike the game!" excuse is really weird - the reasons I've heard in real life for not liking it are the same as what you read here.

Different strokes for different folks. Lots of people consider it the most immersive game of all time but to me it's the least immersive game I've played in years because the clunky, laggy, unresponsive controls make me painfully aware at every moment that I'm playing a game - but I can totally understand why people who aren't bothered by that would absolutely love the game and get lost in the world.
I mean... it really is only a small Sub set of detractors. The game won 130+ GOTY awards way past the so called "honeymoon phase" the vast majority loved the game

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
All open worlds are illusions it's how you mask it, they all have inherent limitations. Red dead 2 open world is the best there is

I'm talking about freedom and player agency which is lacking in Red Dead. The bounty system and NPC sensitivity to crimes is tuned say too high so it's not fun to go shoot up a town or rob a train. Again they sell the open world as a massive playground where you can do whatever you want but the reality is much more limited. Skyrim for example is a much better example of an open world game where you can do whatever and see the consequences.

That's always been a horseshit excuse. From day one Twitter, YouTube, Reddit and other forums had exactly the same complaints over and over again that you saw here. "Era" isn't some special place with unique opinions.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm talking about freedom and player agency which is lacking in Red Dead. The bounty system and NPC sensitivity to crimes is tuned say too high so it's not fun to go shoot up a town or rob a train. Again they sell the open world as a massive playground where you can do whatever you want but the reality is much more limited. Skyrim for example is a much better example of an open world game where you can do whatever and see the consequences.

That's always been a horseshit excuse. From day one Twitter, YouTube, Reddit and other forums had exactly the same complaints over and over again that you saw here. "Era" isn't some special place with unique opinions.
Complaints is predictable since rockstar games are massive so more people will dislike them, but it's not a 50/50 divisive split the vast majority view it as an epic game

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
"It's too gamey"
"It's too slow"

Take your pick.

Sure pacing is definitely on the slower side, but I think it's become common these days for people to jump into this bandwagon "It's popular so I'm gonna bitch to show how cool and non-comformist I am". "I like some other game best and I feel threatened", what is this even supposed to mean?

Jan 11, 2018
OP just made me want to play the game with that description of the world. I really enjoyed the first (second?) game but have been super burned out on open world games so I've been avoiding it. Maybe I should give it a try when it comes down in price a bit. Only problem is I've already had the ending spoiled for me :(

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
OP just made me want to play the game with that description of the world. I really enjoyed the first (second?) game but have been super burned out on open world games so I've been avoiding it. Maybe I should give it a try when it comes down in price a bit. Only problem is I've already had the ending spoiled for me :(
do it man, its an incredible experience

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

Critically yes. Friends I talked to were pretty much 50/50, they just don't care enough to complain about it online. Also the threads on release had a fair share of criticism and I doubt that was just "hating what's popular".

I can totally understand people who love this game, I just don't like being labelled as a troll or whatever because I don't….

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should, one of the games this gen will be defined by, you rarely get single players as comprehensive and consistent in quality like this. The main protagonist is perhaps the best written and acted I've experienced in gaming.

Oct 30, 2017
At the beginning of march i did the awesome Lenny drunk quest.
After that i decided to explore the map (excluding blackwater because i can't get there) and not visit camp in the meantime… create my own story in my head.
This is something i do in some games where there's a lot of freedom.

Had a drink at the saloon, shaved my head and beard and went on my way.

It's now april 3rd(long hair, big beard) and i still haven't visit the camp, explored every inch of the available map, sometimes even walking for hours. Saw some really weird stuff where people were tortured and killing and set-up as a display. Sadly there is no timer in the game but i guess i have been on the road for like ~30 hours with only doing side-quests and exploration.

Funny thing is, i don't want to return to camp. Afraid that if i return, nobody will say something that i have been away for weeks… breaking the immersion for me.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
There were a lot of people who felt compelled to come say "BotW was better", for some strange reason.

Never quite understand this sentimentality that some people hold. Sure you may prefer a particular game lot more than RDR2, but that doesn't make it better or worse than the other. It's all subjective isn't it?

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I got that special Shenmue feeling when I first played RDR2. Back then no other game felt alive like Shenmue. Today that game is RDR2.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved the game and some touches makes it feel really alive but we can't cover the short coming as a result of it .

For instance they went for slower pace and realsim and perfect animation as a result I stopped looting stuff as it takes so god damn long to loot and I value my time more than that .
First three chapters the world seems like just any other open world like new AC from Ubisoft but after chapter 3 and base camp parties they really take it a step further .so yes they r better than other open world games but not by a landslide that some people keep mentioning like "I can't play any other open world game after RDR2 "

They really need to copy some of the more popular 3rd person action game.their cover system is behind in time .jumping over boxes as u run from bullet is behind the trend and clunky .all in all the action parts need some refining as it is not smooth

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
i guess I really didn't have issues with the controls
Did you play with auto aim ? 50+ hours in and I'm still thinking I need to change something in the aiming settings just for it to feel like any other games standard gunplay. And I don't know whose idea it was to have the whole screen get sea sickness like you're on a moving boat the second one enemy starts shooting at you (it only goes away in first person for some reason too :/ ). But other than control issues and a few nitpicks (like not being able to return fire at someone who already shot at you a dozen times in town without getting a bounty) I mostly love it. I do wish the dead eye meter would slowly regen over time without needing to use consumables but that's just another small criticism.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Just came to say OP, you nailed it. I was tired of games that were a mile wide and an inch deep. rDR2 isn't perfect but man, I sure appreciate the hell out of the world they built and the layers of life.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I agree completely. Recently bought Far Cry Primal and I'm having a really hard time getting into it after sinking a hundred hours into RDR2.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At the first camp I remember starting the game, and looking out over the scenery. I just sort of stood there for a moment as Arthur, taking it in, making more of a rainbow that formed. I was like man, they covered everything. As if on cue one of the NPCs walked up and was like, "Oh, a rainbow, how beautiful!" Paraphrased, but then Arthur and her had a small conversation about it. It blew my mind, all totally organic.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I played Origins and Odyssey after RDR2 and I didn't really feel that way so I disagree, it's nice sure but it isn't gonna take my enjoyment out of other games as that's not what they are aiming for.
I thought assasins creed odyssey did a good enough job to create a nice world, but there is no denying the world of a difference between the two games' production values, the animation alone is clearly and unequivocally better in rdr2. Not to mention the skeletal structure in relation to terrain, the path finding ai, and graphical detail of the wild life itself. Rdr2 is an objective standard in quality, there is no question about it.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

Come on man, there is no question about it.

I just desperately need a pc version with 21:9 support.