• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the better Rockstar game of this generation?

• Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 410 41.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 584 58.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I assume this will be a controversial statement, given the odd hate for Red Dead Redemption 2 on this website, but I stand by it.

I legitimately cannot bring myself to enjoy GTA5. It has all of the same flaws that RDR2 has been mauled for – such as shitty controls and restrictive mission design – but none of RDR2's considerable strengths.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a very clear and defined vision for what it wants to be, and it achieves that really well. It's focused on great storytelling and strong characterization, and there is an argument to be made that it's the best at those two things of any game ever made. It has a far more interesting world, far more variety to the kinds of things it lets players do, and even its annoyances (such as the controls or the pacing) at least make contextual sense – unlike in GTA5, where the controls or mission design are absolutely antithetical to the kind of game GTA5 is trying to be.

The big thing that really cinches this for me, given that both games are rather terrible at the actual gameplay side of things, is the writing. GTA5 is gross, juvenile, and crass. I'm not the kind of person who takes umbrage at the smallest thing and looks to be outraged, and I think clever satire that invokes dark humor can be a great mirror to society, while being genuinely funny. GTA5 is not that. It goes for the low hanging fruit, a broadly written script with obvious "laughs" written explicitly to appeal to the base common denominator, and characters that would barely pass for caricatures. And all of this, without talking about the inane story and narrative arc. This is in sharp contrast to the surprisingly nuanced and measured characterization and writing in RDR2, something I had legitimately given up hope on ever happening with a new Rockstar game. RDR2 deals a measured hand to its characters, story, themes, and topics alike, and it does so while addressing some sensitive topics.

Basically: both games suck at the the playing part, but GTA5 also sucks in writing and storytelling, while RDR2 excels there. Overall, RDR2 is a far better and more cohesive product than GTA5 can hope to be, and I have lost any hope or excitement I may once have had for GTA6, or any future non-RDR Rockstar game at this point, since RDR seems to be the only time the writers are willing to actually temper their excesses and engage in meaningful writing.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I much preferred GTA V. Driving cars, exploring a huge city and shooting automatic weapons is simply more fun to me.

The writing, voice acting and cinematography are all astounding in RDR2 though as is how alive and beautiful the World is.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Driving a car is more fun than riding a horse. Other than that, Red Dead is better in every way.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I played almost 20 hours of rdr2 and was completely bored out of my mind at that point. I fell asleep in the middle of one of the missions, literally.

At least I managed to complete gta 5, even though I much preferred 4.

So for me, gta5>>>>rdr2. It was mainly the pacing for me.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They need the Max Payne 3 team doing their combat from now on and you have legit GOAT games.

But yeah, RDR2 is the more immersive, enjoyable game.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Couldn't agree more. The story and characters alone are far better than anything GTA 5 had to offer.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
During the main story and forn immersion, absolutely. For the sandbox, I much rather play GTA.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I've always thought Red Dead was superior to Grand Theft Auto. GTA 5 has nothing to do after the main story other than drive around the empty city. At least Red Dead had stuff to do.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I preferred (in terms of a sandbox) GTA. For the story and characters I would give it to Red Dead.

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is slow and boring...it is a slog to get through. the pace of GTAV flows so much better and the story is better. I mean the online story in gta v is better than RDR2 story.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I prefer the game play and controls in GTA V, Red Dead 2 probably has a better story but I just never found it fun to actually play.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
gta v is overrated as hell, i am trying to play trhough rdr2, i find it boring as well, but at least it has a good narrative which i enjoy. But its hard to play it as well, it feels slow, maybe cause am early in the game, hopfully itll get better.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously. I got bored of GTAV mid story but RDR2 got me hooked till the credits and then some.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Never felt compelled to finish the story in GTA V. It's a fun sandbox but that's about it.

With RDR2, I just got immersed in that world and story like no other. Didn't want to stop until I finished it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
gta v is overrated as hell, i am trying to play trhough rdr2, i find it boring as well, but at least it has a good narrative which i enjoy. But its hard to play it as well, it feels slow, maybe cause am early in the game, hopfully itll get better.
The actual gameplay never gets better, it's trash and it remains trash.
The story is incredible, and worth sticking with the game through to the end for.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No way, imo.

GTA V is so much fun it's insane.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
GTAV single player is better than RDR2. Red Dead Online is better than GTA Online.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
...I disliked both. Max Payne 3 was better than both of them.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i had played through GTA V twice in the first week. i played through it another 5 times. i think it's my #3 most played game.

I never managed more than a few hours in RDR2 and i loved the first one.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It really depends on what you're looking for.

Are you looking for balls to the wall insanity that's insanely fun to play? Then GTA V is better for you.

Do you want something more immersive and grounded? Then play RDR2.

Also. The settings play some factor. To some, the old west is a more tempting setting than modern day.

Comparing the two is kind of odd.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Theft Auto V felt like it had fun as an objective. As unresponsive as the core mechanics are they actually designed missions to be varied and interesting.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'd say Gun is a better and more straightforward game than rdr, same for Desperados, Outlaws and Call of Suarez

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
also gta5 is a last gen game.
its getting increasingly difficult with time to tolarate horrible clunckiness and rigid mission design of rockstar games generation after generation.

they need to be called out for it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is a far richer experience overall — much more contemplative. Grounded, emotional narrative. Unmatched attention to detail. Deeper and more complex ambient/environmental storytelling. Perhaps the most genuine sense of place I've ever experienced in a game. It's a world that truly feels lived in. Its systems and mechanics are in service to all this. It's not just about a good fun time and chaos.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GTAV online is great--or, used to be. But playing it single player is just a chore.

RDR2 is a godly game with amazing writing. I love just about everything about it aside from the random encounters just kind of drying up before too long. After awhile, the road trips were quiet and isolating in a way that made the world feel dead and artificial instead of alive, like it did during the first 20-30 hours.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Went with GTAV because of the more varied world and gameplay options. But both had terrible, boring campaigns, play badly and have awful GAAS multiplayer modes that I couldn't be less interested in.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I understand why people probably find the general mayhem of GTAV more exciting but RDR2s world, characters, interactions, random events, writing,and side quests are all better to me than GTAV. I love GTAV but RDR2 is takes this for me.

Deleted member 44122

i liked the story and atmosphere more in rdr2, but gta 5 allows for more screwing around :P

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
It isn't. Unless they added a horse that flies and shoots rockets out of its ass.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
This is a hard one for me. I think they really nailed the foundation of building a dynamic, immersive world with GTA V that far surpassed their earlier outings (especially with the next gen update) but the story feels very loose to me. RDRII is the peak of creating the illusion of an immersive world in my opinion with writing and a story that really almost rides the line between feeling like you're playing a movie at the expense of some of the freedoms you might expect from modern mission design even for GTA V. I think this contributes to the gameplay in GTA V being more fun and varied which definitely holds a lot of weight.

I think the longevity of each game and how they treat the single player and multiplayer portions of the game will be what defines the better game in the long run. If RDR2 were to return to the expansion format or continue leaning into the sandbox nature of the MP, it could be the better game. I don't think it is at this point tho.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is absolutely the better game. It feels new and ambitious. GTAV is great but it's just the same GTA we've been playing for years with a boring story and prettier world.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
RDR2 is a far richer experience overall — much more contemplative. Grounded, emotional narrative. Unmatched attention to detail. Deeper and more complex ambient/environmental storytelling. Perhaps the most genuine sense of place I've ever experienced in a game. It's a world that truly feels lived in. Its systems and mechanics are in service to all this. It's not just about a good fun time and chaos.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've never felt so immersed in a world or story since Witcher 3. Its probably why I love open world games because of the immersion.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Red Dead's setting alone obliterates any GTA for me. Love the Wild West.

Then there's the sheer detail and number of things to do, including general survival mechanics. Just seems so much more advanced then GTA V.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
they are very close to eachother, both incredible but gta 5 definitely feels like its lacking a good 10-15 missions to properly close all the story arcs. It felt a little rushed and too simplified in the end.

RDR2 just feels like one of, if not the most complete game i have ever played.