• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good read OP.

And I love how all the people that supposedly hated the game managed to either finish it or get a great deal through it.

Then there's those who only bitched about the slow controls once they read it on a website.

It's no longer cool to hate the popular things...

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
RDR2 is the biggest achievement in video games history when it comes to immersion and having a world feel truly alive, nothing comes even close. It's not a perfect game by any means, the controls could certainly be better, but when it comes to those 2 things there's nothing even comparable.

I see no reason why RDR2 wasn't just a movie. The actual game part of the video game is fucking atrocious
Because it is more immersive than any movie will ever be thanks to how interactive video games are compared to a movie where you can't decide anything.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yep....game of the gen. I'm really hoping gta6 hits the same highs, at least, as rdr2.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good read OP.

And I love how all the people that supposedly hated the game managed to either finish it or get a great deal through it.

Then there's those who only bitched about the slow controls once they read it on a website.

It's no longer cool to hate the popular things...
So according to you, you're not allowed to dislike the game, because you either disliked it even though you played the entire thing, or you disliked it because you didn't play enough of it?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Do people who hate rdr 2 hate the Witcher 3 gameplay?

They have deeply flawed controls/combat but are amazing worlds and cinematic experiences. I can look past it personally.

The quality that exists past these issues is top of the industry in both.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is something wrong with me? I played and beat the game and never really had a big issue with it. Had more problems moving around in Witcher 3 which never gets called atrocious or unplayable.
Lmao at thinking people don't criticize The Witcher 3's gameplay.

The difference is that CDPR went back and fixed things. Afaik, all Rockstar cares about post-release is their online mode.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It changed the way I view games but not in a way that speaks to the game's strengths

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I've started and stopped it a bunch of times now. I've deleted it and downloaded it multiple times.
Wish I had your strength OP. I THINK I'm done with it after my last attempt. I put a lot of hours into it but it wasn't enough for me to care about the characters and story so much that I could ignore what I found as boring gameplay.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
For me yes. I bought Witcher 3 day one and, despite loving the story, it took me nearly two years to beat it because playing the game simply wasn't fun. As far as RDR2 goes, I also bought it day one and haven't made it past Chapter 2 just simply because of how slow and confining is. It doesn't help that the story hasn't picked up at all.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think rdr2 is better if you play it like a roleplaying game. i didnt play it like that back then and it hurt the game for me. i play the online though and i really enjoy it

edit: i guess i should add that many of the things that made playing the single player a slog for me are fixed in the online, like looting and character control

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
For me RDR2 is similar to Shenmue in that way. You have to accept the world and mechanics with its slower pace. But once you get hooked it's an experience like no other.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It had the opposite effect on me. I used to be able to enjoy slow-burn, immersion-driven games like this a lot more, but RDR2 showed me that I just don't have the patience or tolerance for them anymore. It just felt so bad to control, and the pacing was absolutely glacial.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
RDR 2 teached me i should wait on pc versions more. There is a good game in RDR 2, it is just buried behind a lot of stuff I found really bad and not fun to play. I suspect the pc version will have mods to remove a lot of that stuff and make the game actually enjoyable for me, but i am not going to replay it.

They have deeply flawed controls/combat but are amazing worlds and cinematic experiences. I can look past it personally.

I really disliked RDR 2 gameplay, but witcher 3 is my GOTG. I think it is because while the gameplay of witcher 3 is not top notch, a lot of the game is A LOT more snappy than RDR 2. Witcher 3 doesn't have camps you are forced to slowly walk in, looting is a lot faster, getting to your objective in a mission is a lot faster, quick travel is a lot faster etc. They are not that comparable imo.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I like them both . I consider W3 best game this gen and thought nothing will come close to that as far as open world goes, and RDR 2 came very close .
I also think W3 has snappier more responsive controls and animation and just far more engaging combat but at the same time geralts animations are janky as fuck and roach is just roach.
On the other hand RDR 2 has very deliberate controls and pacing and animation priority over everything , but i dont mind it , i actually find it refreshing and it helps for me to get into the mood of the game . But the gunplay is mediocre or at least the combat itself is just really really bad , always feel like shooting gallery . And horse controls are probably the best this entire gen, it just feels so good riding a horse , unlike god damn roach.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't play games to be bored. I play to escape boredom. And boy rdr2 is the epitome of boredom imho 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason why RDR2 wasn't just a movie. The actual game part of the video game is fucking atrocious

this. It feels terrible, the gun play is mediocre like all Rockstar games, tons of unnecessary padding. I slogged through RDR because it was unique but I couldnt bother with RDR2 anymore. There's so much to play that it's not worth it. Bummed I got it digitally though.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Forever changed my view of games as well. I will never buy another Rockstar game without extensive testing first. I will never pre-order another game. I will never trust games reviewers again unless there are fundamental changes made in the whole industry.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Yeah I don't like both, but I dropped the Witcher after 10 hours. It just didn't feel right and the animations are ridiculously bad. I finished RDR2.

@OP: It changed my view in a way that I didn't knew you could create such a boring linear and dreadful game with such a beautiful story and amazing open world.

Mar 29, 2018

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
These comments are ridiculous, for one games do not need to be just one way. The game is hardly Atrocious at all, I never had any issues with the controls/gameplay. They aren;t the best ever but it sure isn't atrocious, I know I am wasting my breath as people on this form live in their own bubbles.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Lmao at thinking people don't criticize The Witcher 3's gameplay.

The difference is that CDPR went back and fixed things. Afaik, all Rockstar cares about post-release is their online mode.
No they never, The Witcher still has mediocre in the gameplay department...

Forever changed my view of games as well. I will never buy another Rockstar game without extensive testing first. I will never pre-order another game. I will never trust games reviewers again unless there are fundamental changes made in the whole industry.
lol. Some of you really need to get some perspective.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019

What fundamental changes need to happen, huh? You got that secret ingredient for what REALLY makes a good reviewer?

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna set myself rules for what to enjoy or how to approach or critique games. They have so much potential to express themselves differently and I'll take them by their own merits. Maybe it's the simple fun that keeps me going, maybe I'm intrigued by the story or world, maybe it's the underlying game design and mechanics. RDR2 is a role playing game to me, if you can accept its rhythm and realism and play it accordingly it has a lot to offer. Just the underlying amount of simulation going on is so fascinating to me, follow around the drunk guy in the first little town you encounter and you'll find a little story completely outside of its head to this waypoint design, it's so deep and lovingly crafted I really think you're missing out if you appraoch this like "serve me the fun, game or I'm outta here". Then again everyone has every right to spend their time however they feel like. Personally I'm happy this game exists in the triple A space, it takes risks alienating the short attention span crowd, it wants the player to exist in it, settle in and experience how far videogame world simulation has come and it does that expertly.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game had some amazing marketing, that's for sure. People not having fun with the game but still trying to convince themselves how amazing it is

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I'm not gonna set myself rules for what to enjoy or how to approach or critique games. They have so much potential to express themselves differently and I'll take them by their own merits. Maybe it's the simple fun that keeps me going, maybe I'm intrigued by the story or world, maybe it's the underlying game design and mechanics. RDR2 is a role playing game to me, if you can accept its rhythm and realism and play it accordingly it has a lot to offer. Just the underlying amount of simulation going on is so fascinating to me, follow around the drunk guy in the first little town you encounter and you'll find a little story completely outside of its head to this waypoint design, it's so deep and lovingly crafted I really think you're missing out if you appraoch this like "serve me the fun, game or I'm outta here". Then again everyone has every right to spend their time however they feel like. Personally I'm happy this game exists in the triple A space, it takes risks alienating the short attention span crowd, it wants the player to exist in it, settle in and experience how far videogame world simulation has come and it does that expertly.
This is too much logic for here . good post.

This game had some amazing marketing, that's for sure. People not having fun with the game but still trying to convince themselves how amazing it is
?? So everyone who liked the game is delusional or lying? lol.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Whatever I'm bored of taking about it. It's a broken industry. 97% its embarrassing.
Nothing embarrassing except these posts. How childish is it to say the entire industry is broken because a game got high reviews you don't agree with...No game is or should be for everyone, gatekeeping gaming is annoying.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its not a badgame, I think I'm just done with Rockstar's open world formula. It's just drive/ride horse 10 miles to objective point, kill some guys/steal something/etc, then watch a cutscene, then.....MISSION COMPLETE! Here's $1,000, now enjoy the long ride back to camp where you have to park your horse 500 feet from camp and slowly walk back your mission giver to waste as much of your time as possible. In fact, that's how I feel about every aspect in the game. Every little thing you do has a long winded animation that gets really aggravating after a while.

I'm sure the story is great, but I'll never know because I'm sick and tired of Rockstar's gameplay. It has not evolved one iota in years, aside from tedious animations. Honestly, that's just how I feel about AAA games these days in general. I'd rather just play something with straight to the point game play.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I WAS ready to jump in for my 2nd playthrough, but with DS ready to land i've put on hold. It's one of the most, if not THE most atmospheric and technically amazing game i've ever played in my 44 years on this good earth.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
So.. You're telling me that RDR2 is a Rockstar game? I just can't enjoy their games at all, while I really love open world games. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I just get bored sooo much and sooo soon.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agreed OP, I had the same journey. It actually took some time before I could go back to other games, everything felt so incredibly scripted and linear after RDR2. I plan to jump in again pretty soon on Stadia and/or PC! :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian had me thinking that way, would make an awesome Studio Ghibli anime. But RDR2 has so much freedom between the linear story segments and the world is so dynamic and full of life that it would be a real shame to just make a linear movie about it. I assume that the gameplay issues will be less problematic on PC as well so I would advise everyone who put down the game because of that to give the PC version a try instead.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
I think RDR2 speaks to a trend or change in game design we might be seeing more of going forward. This idea of things not necessarily having to be 'fun'.

I'm kind of paraphrasing here as it's been a while since I heard it, but I remember Niel Druckmann speaking about TLOU2. He wouldn't like using the word 'fun' around the office and instead would use 'engaging'. Games that stop being concerned with having to be fun all the time are honestly what excite me the most at the moment. It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out for TLOU2 as I enjoyed this aspect of RDR2 as flawed as it was.