• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Just like how The Witcher 3 was in 2015. It's been proven again and again that, to most people, gameplay matters less than everything else in games.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The idea that people think this doesn't happen is mind blowing to me.
Yeah, peer pressure, social bubbles and echo-chambers are actually pretty simple explanations for the issue at hand.

Also, as for the GiantBomb example listed above, isn't it funny that the one person which thought the game was a 5/5 was the one who reviewed the game? I mean, what a coincidence right? You gotta avoid asking someone who probably won't like the game to review it right?

That's what happens next. Inflated scores all around. And let's not mention the fear of displeasing your readers ... Right Jeff? :D

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think that reviewrs should at least mention the input lag. Whether the input lag affects the score/experience of the reviewer, that is up to them. But I want to know before buying.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up with the Bombcast.

Kudos to Dan for fighting almost the entire staff and getting this game where it belongs:

The Most Disappointing list.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The faster you accept the fact that people who didn't like RDR2 are a vocal minority the better it will be for everyone. If gameplay is shit it wouldn't have 97 Metascore, it wouldn't have two or three South Park episodes dedicated to it and it wouldn't have non gamer people talking about it. The last time a game made waves like this is probably World of Warcraft back in its prime and that's saying something.
So you read people's mind??
Because i have no idea if the gameplay of this game is appreciated by every people that don't post on era...

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Of course we're talking about reception on the internet and social media, where else would we talk or find out player response? Who else is going around asking random people in real life if they liked RDR2? Going by the logic in this thread no matter how much complaining about a game there is here and on Youtube/Twitter it doesn't matter. As long as the game has a high MC it means every other person who played the game who doesn't talk about it on the internet must have also agreed with the critical acclaim.

Basically you can hand wave any criticisms of a game if the critics loved it and use the "vocal minority" card every time because there's no way to prove what the silent majority actually think.
Lol this.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
200+ hours in and still in chapter 3. Love this game. I play video games for 32 years now and i had no problem with the controls. The missions are a bit too scripted, but I dont play missions very often.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I agree completely... It's a turd with a pretty bow wrapped around it.

It's not the only AAA offender imho though.
The Elder Scrolls V and pretty much all recent Fallout releases were horrible in terms of combat and controls.

Oct 27, 2017
So you read people's mind??
Because i have no idea if the gameplay of this game is appreciated by every people that don't post on era...

Tell me why do you think people still continue to buy it and it continues to be in top spots even months after release.

I mean, if the game was so bad, or so not fun to play, word of mouth would have hurted the game sales, right? But it didn't. Why? Name alone doesn't explain a game still selling so much. My idea is that complaints about the game are valid but here on Resetera are way overblown.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
This game does almost everything so much better than other games, for that experience people praise it. This world is very alive and there is a lot to do.

Its weird and sad that some people here call Rockstar lazy.

Oct 27, 2017
You realize that this is not people who already own it that buy it AGAIN, right?

How is the amount of people that buy the game indicative of how they like it?

Word of mouth exists.

Word of mouth hugely damaged Fallout76 post day one sales, Battlefield post day one sales and so on. If the game was so bad as people here describe it (a turd, trash, not better than The Order 1886) than why it keeps selling at record pace? That's what i'm asking.

My own idea is probably because the general consensus around the Web is that the game is great and the issues it has don't diminuish the fun people have playing the game.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
This is why i stopped reading mainstream gaming reviews and completely ignore metacritic now.

Horizon zero dawn and god of war convinced me to do this.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kudos to Dan for fighting almost the entire staff and getting this game where it belongs:

i really dunno about the bombcast. i love how they give attention to smaller titles and also weirder games but when it comes down to it they will always choose the AAA games no matter what kind of flaws they have

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I liked the game, but my really strong initial positive reactions really wore down over time. It's a similar problem to some of the design decisions in Star Citizen, the animations and verisimilitude of all the interactions are cute and novel at first, but when you're skinning an animal for what feels like the eleventy billionth time and watching the same 10 second interaction it's just dull.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My own idea is probably because the general consensus around the Web is that the game is great and the issues it has don't diminish the fun people have playing the game.

In my experience this is not true. The hardcore are more likely to like this game, but the casuals do not.

Anecdotal evidence: My casual friends (the type where the last game they played was Uncharted 4) were super hyped for Red Dead, but burned out on it super quick. They don´t articulate why, they don´t know what input lag is, they just say "it´s not fun to play" and that´s it.

To somewhat back this up: 83.4% of all players on PS4 finished chapter 1, only 54.5% of all players finished chapter 2. I find this significant.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Tell me why do you think people still continue to buy it and it continues to be in top spots even months after release.

I mean, if the game was so bad, or so not fun to play, word of mouth would have hurted the game sales, right? But it didn't. Why? Name alone doesn't explain a game still selling so much. My idea is that complaints about the game are valid but here on Resetera are way overblown.
Because it's a rockstar games?
Because we have basically no other western triple A game?
For rdr online?
For the graphics, sound, story etc?

You think that people at gamestop talks about bad gameplay with the clients? Or people that are waiting for rdr online talks with their friends about bad gameplay so they are not gonna buy the game?

The idea that nobody outside of era has problem with the gameplay of this game because he has 97 on metacritic is the most ridicolous thing i ever heard tbh.

For me is much easier to think that hardcore gamers like most of the people on era are more forgiving with bad gameplay because we are used to it. (Personal experience)
But for the millions of people that buy a console for fifa and some mainstream triple A game? i've really hard time to believe that ALL OF THEM are ok with sluggish control and slow paced gameplay.

(Sorry for my english)

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience this is not true. The hardcore are more likely to like this game, but the casuals do not.

Anecdotal evidence: My casual friends (the type where the last game they played was Uncharted 4) were super hyped for Red Dead, but burned out on is super quick. They don´t articulate why, they don´t know what input lag is, they just say "it´s not fun to play" and that´s it.

To somewhat back this up: 83.4% of all players on PS4 finished chapter 1, only 54.5% of all players finished chapter 2. I find this significant.

Are you kidding...?

Oct 27, 2017

The game is extremely long and dispersive and you know long games don't keep people attention. By your metric more than 60% of people completed FF XV, so it must have been really fun for them. Yet i still read people here saying how trash that game is.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a rockstar games?
Because we have basically no other western triple A game?
For rdr online?
For the graphics, sound, story etc?

You think that people at gamestop talks about bad gameplay with the clients? Or people that are waiting for rdr online talks with their friends about bad gameplay so they are not gonna buy the game?

The idea that nobody outside of era has problem with the gameplay of this game because he has 97 on metacritic is the most ridicolous thing i ever heard tbh.

For me is much easier to think that hardcore gamers like most of the people on era in theory more forgiving with bad gameplay because we are used to it. (Personal experience)
But for the millions of people that buy a console for fifa and some mainstream triple A game? i've really hard time to believe that ALL OF THEM are ok with sluggish control and slow paced gameplay.

(Sorry for my english)

I would say it is the opposite. The hardcore crowd is more discerning of performance and responsiveness. Folks on here and other forums bash Ark yet it is one of the most popular games out there. Same can be said of several other games. People like what they like.

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't say that though. I said that complaints here on Resetera are way overblown, and it's not even the first time it happens. I can understand being hardcore gamers but behaving like the Resetera consensus on a game is the general public consensus is ridicolous.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is extremely long and dispersive and you know long games don't keep people attention. By your metric more than 60% of people completed FF XV, so it must have been really fun for them. Yet i still read people here saying how trash that game is.

Not talking about finishing the game. I´m talking about a 40% drop off between the first 2 chapters. You say that this game is universally loved, I say 50% of all the people who got this game did not even make it past chapter 2.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

Anecdotal evidence: My casual friends (the type where the last game they played was Uncharted 4) were super hyped for Red Dead, but burned out on is super quick. They don´t articulate why, they don´t know what input lag is, they just say "it´s not fun to play" and that´s it.

Same experience, my friends come to my home and try the game...after 20 minutes they give up.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I didn't say that though. I said that complaints here on Resetera are way overblown, and it's not even the first time it happens. I can understand being hardcore gamers but behaving like the Resetera consensus on a game is the general public consensus is ridicolous.
I was not talking about you specifically, sorry for the misunderstanding.
The truth is probably in the middle.

Oct 27, 2017
Not talking about finishing the game. I´m talking about a 40% drop off between the first 2 chapters. You say that this game is universally loved, I say 50% of all the people who got this game did not even make it past chapter 2.

Again, where did i say the game is universally loved? I can explain that drop saying that even without reaching Chapter 3 you can easily play for more than 40 hours. Probably many don't care enough for the story to keep progressing after they already played so much of the game and they drop it.

The truth is probably in the middle.

I agree. I never like overreactions, but people here try to make me say things i don't say because they like to think by extremes. It's with me or against me on Resetera. It's frankly tiring.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You've played like 10% of the game and you're complaining about it.
Once you get used to it it actually feels incredibly satisfying imo.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
My experience has been similar, but I will go back to it.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
GTA 4s rating will always surprise me more than the current one for RDR2.
One of the highest rated games of all time that you'd be hard pressed to see anyone giving a damn about these days.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
One of the highest rated games of all time that you'd be hard pressed to see anyone giving a damn about these days.
People gave a damn about that game for many many years though. It was the most played game on 360 almost every single week for a long time.

I don't know what they saw in it, especially the online mod but dem's the numbers.

--

I also think doing chapter drop-off comparisons with trophy data is not really great, when you have such an open game. A better comparison is identifying unmissable trophies and doing the same for some other open world game and then compare where it places.
Just as an example I know a guy that has done 40% of the challenges in this game and is not done with Chapter 2. Not that he is representative, but I find this go and do the collectathon aspect before doing much story to be a very common theme. And there is a lot to do in RDR2 if you're that type of player.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I say 50% of all the people who got this game did not even make it past chapter 2.

If we are to assume that everybody has an internet connection, that's still around 8.5 million players in real terms.

Trophy stats don't tell us shit though. I think anyone finding them "significant" is either being deliberately disingenuous or hasn't looked at them before.

Only 55% of players completed the tutorial of GTA: Online, while only a 1/3 of players even reached the first heist/Trevor in SP.

Only 41% of players found Dandelion at the end of Act 1 in Witcher 3.

64% of players completed the first Skyrim dungeon and only 51% went on to open up Dragons. Around 1 in 5 didn't complete the introduction at all.

59% of players made it to Act 2 of Marvel's Spider-Man.

So, yeah... what does this tell us about the popularity of these games? Jack shit. That drop seems hardly "significant" in context.

I uh... it's my favourite GTA. :D

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Why is it hard for some to accept the flaws this game has? Liking something doesn't suddenly make it immune to criticism.

The control of the character is in fact doo doo and it's not expected to see it omitted from reviews.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I uh... it's my favourite GTA. :D

Terrible game. That´s one of the reasons I´m extra disappointed in RDR. I thought that between GTA IV and V they had learned their lesson.

Don´t put "realism" over gameplay.

Unfortunately they doubled down on it.

GTA V brought the fun back, RDR2 ripped it away from us.

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I find myself replaying section soft combat dozens of times just because I have such a blast doing it.

The gameplay in RDR2 is head and shoulders above most of the competition.

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

The bomcast is indeed paradigmatic

When a man is deadly wrong yet he's still trying to indoctrinate the huge majority using lame arguments, with his head deeply stuck in his big fat ass, refusing to acknowledge any opinion but his own

Where have I seen that before?

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find myself replaying section soft combat dozens of times just because I have such a blast doing it.

The gameplay in RDR2 is head and shoulders above most of the competition.

Yep. The competition is trying hard to implement input lag into their games, but they just can´t get it done.

R* are wizards.

When a man is deadly wrong yet he's still trying to indoctrinate the huge majority using lame arguments, with his head deeply stuck in his big fat ass, refusing to acknowledge any opinion but his own

Have you actually listened to it? He was absolutely not refusing to acknowledge any opinion but his own. He was very open.
Also: LOL at calling him "deadly wrong" and going on to say that he refuses to acknowledge any opinion but his own.

Last edited:

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I fell in love with the world Rockstar created in RDR2. The characters, atmosphere, story are all stellar stuff, but fuck me is the gameplay sub-par. It shouldn't take me a few goes to pick something up, shuffling around on the spot trying to get the correct angle. I shouldn't have to sit through laborious actions such as reading a fucking diary to check stock in my camp. Boring, tedious monotony.

I got to chapter 6 but couldn't complete it as I found it was getting too repetitive and stale. Ride for 10 minutes to here, kill some people and escape. Over and over and over again.

I keep going back to Rocket League. Why? Because they nailed the gameplay. No story, no character building, no cutscenes, just pure unadulterated fun gameplay, which is sadly missing from RDR2.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I finally watched that "Rockstar's Game Design is Outdated" video last night and damn, what an indictment of RDR2. I honestly feel like it makes most arguments about "it's more realistic this way!" completely fall apart.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Ugh

I swear to christ if this is a trump comparison im gonna lose it

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I'm far in chapter 6 and the controls only annoyed me a bit in the first few hours of the game tbh. Got used to them and never looked back, game deserves it's high praise if you ask me.