• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The input lag in RDR2 adds to the weight. It makes it feel heavier and more realistic.

Lol, not this again please. Plenty of other games feel heavy and "realistic" (whatever that means when controlling a character in third person with a plastic instrument) and feel way better. I have a feeling we're going in circles.

I think we can all agree it the controls could have been better. I have accepted them and finished the game this weekend, but it wasn't easy.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I've seen nobody hate on RDR2 as much as Era, so saying "most divisive" is pretty much ignoring the real world and the actual majority of gamers.

Era likes to be contrarian, though, TW3 was the same. The actual criticism is pretty thin, saying "it's dog shite" or "it's trash" doesn't count obviously. People need to play The Witcher 1 if they want to see what "shit combat" is.
Ironically, God of War was the first game that made me check my TV's settings as I personally felt that it had noticable input lag.

It is not just ERA with RDR2. Look at RDR2's metacritic user score (7.3 Xbox, 7.9 PS4) and compare that to other recent GOTY contenders like The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, God of War, etc. They all have user scores of 9+. Red Dead 1 does as well.

That type of drop off between critics and users is large for a GOTY contender and typically reserved for games that had scandals

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think RDR2 is necessarily bad because of a couple specific core mechanical issues (like Arthur's massively unresponsive movement), but I also have, after a few hours, no desire to set aside games that I'm enjoying much more in order to get back to it. While the mechanics aren't broken and ultimately I can get through whatever fights the game gives me, I find these parts of the game to be utterly dull. I don't expect them to become more engaging, I don't think investing a bunch of hours into mechanics I don't enjoy in order to take in the narrative will wind up paying off, and I'm already satisfied enough with taking in the sights. I think I'm done with the game, and this is maybe the first huge release in years that I've started with the intention of playing through and then decided to not bother finishing.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
This is the exact reason why God of War was GOTY for me. The gameplay and combat is so freaking fun.

RDR2 combat was pretty boring and in the end it was just fine with lots of consumables and spamming dead eye to slow time and headshot everyone and trying to be little creative you can.

Going from God of Wars combat and responsiveness to RDR2 was like ehhh... Still amazing game and I am going to play it again soon

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not just ERA with RDR2. Look at RDR2's metacritic user score (7.3 Xbox, 7.9 PS4) and compare that to other recent GOTY contenders like The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, God of War, etc. They all have user scores of 9+. Red Dead 1 does as well.

That type of drop off between critics and users is large for a GOTY contender and typically reserved for games that had scandals
Guarantee you 90% of the negative reviews are salty PC gamers. MC user reviews should never be used as a arguing point. Far too much fanboy wars

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At fist I read "dog doo doo" as "ring dang doo".

Warning: NSFW Lyrics

The ring dang doo now what is that?
It's soft and round like a pussycat,
Got a hole in the middle and it's split in two,

That's what you call the ring dang doo.

She took me down, to her cellar,
Said that I was a mighty fine feller,
Fed me wine and whiskey too,
She let me ride on the ring dang doo.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Guarantee you 90% of the negative reviews are salty PC gamers. MC user reviews should never be used as a arguing point. Far too much fanboy wars

Actually if that user had went and read the comments he would have seen that theres a million comments from the first days of release with users complaining that this is a simulator and they wanted GTA 6 with horses. Only now positive critics are starting to appear.

A month ago the game was under 6 something in meta and its climbing.

This info doesn't disprove what the user is saying, just show that accepting data without looking at it most times brings to wrong conclusions.

But we all need that sweet confirmation bias, even if we know what we trying to prove is impossible to prove with the current available data.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It plays like shit and a large percentage of the gaming community agrees. I'm cool with people loving the game and even loving the gameplay. What is a problem the lack of diverse opinions in the critic community. Either critics at large were drunk on the hype or every single one fit into the group that doesn't care about these gameplay issues and there isn't anyone who represents the other half of the debate reviewing games. If this were a small niche of people who disliked the game that'd be one thing but it's not.

All of this. The bolded in particular. It's also why the GOTYs are always the same narrow kind of games. It's why you never see a strategy game or a puzzle game or a sports game winning awards left and right. Games media as a whole is extremely insular and mainstream focused. And there are some studios that can do no wrong whatsoever apparently. Rockstar is one of them and BGS was another until Fallout 76.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

User scores on Metacritic tell us nothing about a game's reception.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've got zero issues with the way this game controls.

I consider the mechanics and controls to be very easy to acclimate to and plenty responsive once you get a feel for the weight and heft of the gameplay and compensate accordingly.

Personally, I don't want or expect this game to play like a traditional shooter or action game.

There's an attention to detail coupled with weapon handling that gives this experience an authentic feel.

I love it. I understand plenty of you don't but Rockstar is going to continue making games their way and I'm pretty content with that.

There's plenty of other action games out there for those of you who loathe this particular studio or can't get behind their playstyle and mechanics. This is a big industry filled with brilliant games from a myriad of excellent teams so there's no reason RDR2 needs to conform to whatever norms or expectations some of you believe it lacks.

If you don't like RDR2, that's fine.

Personally, it might be my favorite game of all time. (Certainly Top Five when the smoke clears)

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe some are but I highly doubt that it's most. Not saying it's some end all, be all perfect system anyway but it's just more evidence against it being just ERA.

I've heard about how badly RDR2 plays on podcasts plenty. I have friends that aren't forum dwellers who dropped it because they don't find the game fun, etc. Saying it's just ERA is just disingenuous

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
I must be amazing at games because I had maybe two or three times over 60+ hours where Arthur or the horse wouldn't do what I wanted. I just finished up AC: Odyssey which some I've seen say is more fun to play than RDR2. Sure, the controls are less cumbersome but in my opinion that's literally the only positive AC:O has over RDR2. Give me amazing characters and a phenomenally developed world over better controls (unless the former's controls are literally broken) any day of the week. One of the best games of all time and my personal GOTY.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Maybe some are but I highly doubt that it's most. Not saying it's some end all, be all perfect system anyway but it's just more evidence against it being just ERA.

I've heard about how badly RDR2 plays on podcasts plenty. I have friends that aren't forum dwellers who dropped it because they don't find the game fun, etc. Saying it's just ERA is just disingenuous

Its not less than saying that your friends or podcast you listen to are a solid proff of the controversy of the game in a game that sold millions.

I mean read up about it, it's called ad populum.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The only control issue I have is the duels, never could quite get the 'slowly load' part down right.

But overall the controls have not diminished my enjoyment at all, I've been having a fantastic time with it and I think it's well deserving of any GOTY accolades it's received.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think the way the game controls is deliberate, not lazy or lack of understanding for Rockstar.

I think they took the idea of how you normally control horses in games and expanded it to how you control your character. With horses, you usually don't have direct control. The character you are controlling is actually controlling the horse which leads to longer animations and lag time. The idea is you are telling the horse where to go instead of controlling the horse yourself.

I think this is what Rockstar did for Arthur. You are not Arthur, you are telling him what to do. When you tell him to loot a cabinet he'll do it but you have to wait for him to get done. Clearly this style of controls is going to be divisive as shit and it takes awhile to get used to but I really think that's what they were going for.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TW3 criticism I felt was a a little exaggerated. It definitely didn't stack up well against Japanese contemporaries in terms of motion and combat, but next to western contemporaries - like Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Kingdom Come - it stacks very favourably.
Strong Agree. I'd never really go to bat for TW3's combat, but it started off interesting and kept my attention throughout the game without becoming unbearable.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could understand better the arguments people are making for the controls. Like, I get that it's a non-issue for these people -- that, for whatever reason, they are perfectly happy with how the game feels.

But there's just no way they aren't struggling with them at the same time. You can't tell me you haven't missed the easiest shot of your life because the responsiveness wasn't there (or use whatever term you prefer -- the "weightiness" kicked in at the wrong time). Or that you were trying to do something super fucking simple like walk from point A to point B, or pick something up, and that moment didn't come attached with some awkwardness where, if someone were watching you play, they'd swear you were fucking stoned because you're just going back and forth missing whatever hot spot you need to have.

If people can smile and say "Yeah, all that happens, but I don't give a shit and -- what's more -- I like that", THEN I can totally get and understand it all. But if you're saying the above doesn't happen because you've somehow acclimated to latency or, when manually aiming, you have God's gift to man in terms of aiming ability, then I simply don't believe you.

I believe you're crutching like crazy on the aim-assist / auto-aim because it's the easiest way to get headshots (not realistic at all), and I'll believe you're doing the dead-eye every chance you get (again, not realistic), and but I'm not going to believe that people are getting perfect shots off like a hardened cowboy in this game, or that the movement is exacting and you never look stupid trying to do something as fundamentally simple as getting on your horse, or switching a weapon.

I'm more than happy to entertain that these aren't considered problems to some, or that they don't care that these things happen, but if people are saying these things don't happen on a frequent basis with the game then I guess I'll never understand the argument, because I cannot possibly buy that based on my 25 hours or so with the game.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

Alright, "contrarian" may have not been the best way to articulate my point.
I believe that Era - as well as one can generalise - prefers games with a focus on gameplay, which is why games like Nier, DMC, Nintendo games, Soulsborne are among the most revered around here.

I personally (and probably lots of others, too) don't. As long as the gameplay is not utter shite, I'm fine, and so far I've never put down a game because of its gameplay. I know, preferences vary and all, but I've never experienced a game which was "literally unplayable" and RDR2 certainly isn't imo. I can understand if people find it boring, or slow, or whatever, but saying its gameplay is pure shit, seems like an exaggeration imo. Not that there's anything wrong with the first approach, hell, Dark Souls is one of my personal favourites.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
arthur's movement is bad & the missions can get repetitive & overly restrictive imo but the rest of the game is great

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I've seen nobody hate on RDR2 as much as Era, so saying "most divisive" is pretty much ignoring the real world and the actual majority of gamers.

Era likes to be contrarian, though, TW3 was the same. The actual criticism is pretty thin, saying "it's dog shite" or "it's trash" doesn't count obviously. People need to play The Witcher 1 if they want to see what "shit combat" is.
Ironically, God of War was the first game that made me check my TV's settings as I personally felt that it had noticable input lag.
Era (and other "enthusiast" communities like GameFAQs) are always extremely critical of praised games, while propping up cult games. Games like TLOU, TW3, BOTW, God of War, and RDR2 all got a disproportionate amount of criticism on here, for example, while something like Yakuza (and I love Yakuza, to be clear) gets propped up equally disproportionately.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I definitely think the way the game controls is deliberate, not lazy or lack of understanding for Rockstar.

I think they took the idea of how you normally control horses in games and expanded it to how you control your character. With horses, you usually don't have direct control. The character you are controlling is actually controlling the horse which leads to longer animations and lag time. The idea is you are telling the horse where to go instead of controlling the horse yourself.

I think this is what Rockstar did for Arthur. You are not Arthur, you are telling him what to do. When you tell him to loot a cabinet he'll do it but you have to wait for him to get done. Clearly this style of controls is going to be divisive as shit and it takes awhile to get used to but I really think that's what they were going for.

I agree entirely.

Rockstar went to great effort to make the game control the way it does - from chambering each round during a gunfight to the way Arthur moves on and off his horse.

I entirely understand why some people dislike it but honestly, I'd enjoy the game less if it didn't control as it currently does.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era (and other "enthusiast" communities like GameFAQs) are always extremely critical of praised games, while propping up cult games. Games like TLOU, TW3, BOTW, God of War, and RDR2 all got a disproportionate amount of criticism on here, for example, while something like Yakuza (and I love Yakuza, to be clear) gets propped up equally disproportionately.

No lies detected.

The amount of 'BOTW is overrated' threads we've had since that game released is nothing short of copious.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was on the fence to buy an xbox1x for that game. After playing it at a friend's for 5-6 hours, I decided to keep my money. That 97 Metacritic is highway robbery.
As many have posted, it compliments GTA4's batshit absurd reality bending 98 score.

Critics continue to be jokes. "Those that cant' do, critique."

Except for the first RDR, every game from R* gets a free pass

Look at LA Noire sitting at 89. That game is an absolute chore
Noire is an 89? Man Rockstar does get a free lunch pass, what a fucking joke.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I had no problems with the controls once I had learned them and it sounds like it didn't prevent the vast majority of professional reviewers from giving it outstanding reviews.

One of the greatest games I've ever played.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected.

The amount of 'BOTW is overrated' threads we've had since that game released is nothing short of copious.
Yup. And before that, back on GAF, if you read the amount of "TW3 plays like shit" threads, you'd have thought it's like a new age Superman 64 or something. (Ironically enough, GAF/Era both fall over backwards to lavish praise on both these games too).

THAT SAID, I do think that criticism and discontent with RDR2 extends to beyond just Era and GameFAQs.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This game is amazing when you are just wondering around on a horse, but as soon as you try and do anything outside of that the game becomes painful. Trying to hitch my horse, searching bodies, trying to interact with objects is just fucking awful because of the lag, or whatever the fuck causes it.

I'm about just over half way and I've thrown in the towel.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
So you agree?

I feel like it's the same shit every year and it gets really tiring to what extreme lengths people go to. I mean, I get it, you didn't enjoy RDR2, that's fine. I didn't enjoy God of War as much as most people around here, but that's more because of ME, not because the game is "absolute dog doo doo", Jesus.

Oct 25, 2017
Its not less than saying that your friends or podcast you listen to are a solid proff of the controversy of the game in a game that sold millions.

I mean read up about it, it's called ad populum.

I mean you can cover your eyes and ears all you want. No ones knocking you or anyone else for enjoying the game, but there's clearly a reason why there's been loads of RDR2 threads covering its combat, controls and mission design since release without any "honeymoon phase" whether you agree or disagree with those criticisms

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. And before that, back on GAF, if you read the amount of "TW3 plays like shit" threads, you'd have thought it's like a new age Superman 64 or something. (Ironically enough, GAF/Era both fall over backwards to lavish praise on both these games too).

THAT SAID, I do think that criticism and discontent with RDR2 extends to beyond just Era and GameFAQs.

It extends but not to this degree.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could understand better the arguments people are making for the controls. Like, I get that it's a non-issue for these people -- that, for whatever reason, they are perfectly happy with how the game feels.

But there's just no way they aren't struggling with them at the same time. You can't tell me you haven't missed the easiest shot of your life because the responsiveness wasn't there (or use whatever term you prefer -- the "weightiness" kicked in at the wrong time). Or that you were trying to do something super fucking simple like walk from point A to point B, or pick something up, and that moment didn't come attached with some awkwardness where, if someone were watching you play, they'd swear you were fucking stoned because you're just going back and forth missing whatever hot spot you need to have.

If people can smile and say "Yeah, all that happens, but I don't give a shit and -- what's more -- I like that", THEN I can totally get and understand it all. But if you're saying the above doesn't happen because you've somehow acclimated to latency or, when manually aiming, you have God's gift to man in terms of aiming ability, then I simply don't believe you.

I believe you're crutching like crazy on the aim-assist / auto-aim because it's the easiest way to get headshots (not realistic at all), and I'll believe you're doing the dead-eye every chance you get (again, not realistic), and but I'm not going to believe that people are getting perfect shots off like a hardened cowboy in this game, or that the movement is exacting and you never look stupid trying to do something as fundamentally simple as getting on your horse, or switching a weapon.

I'm more than happy to entertain that these aren't considered problems to some, or that they don't care that these things happen, but if people are saying these things don't happen on a frequent basis with the game then I guess I'll never understand the argument, because I cannot possibly buy that based on my 25 hours or so with the game.

I mean, sure. But using dead-eye isn't a crutch.. it's part of the game and is meant to be used. Sure there's times that getting the right spot to loot something is awkward. Some times.. not anywhere close to all the time.

I mean if you want Rockstar to make an action game with arcade movement.. then that's a game I'm glad they aren't making into GTA or RDR.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
arthur's movement is bad & the missions can get repetitive & overly restrictive imo but the rest of the game is great
This is the worst part imo. Just started my first playthrough this past weekend and was doing the first hunting tutorial and on my way back ran into the grizzly. I decided I wanted to fight the Grizzly and had almost killed it when the thing runs off and as I go chasing it, I get a mission failed for going too far from the AI companion. Like what other Open-world game does that nowadays? If I want to hunt the damn grizzly then let me hunt it.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You would think every critically acclaimed game is trash going by all the hyperbolic negative threads you see for them on here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh I have no doubt.

Everything gets trashed everywhere and when something like RDR2's control scheme comes into the equation, I fully expect that plenty of people are going to take issue with it.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
. There isn't a fire under Rockstar motivating them to improve their control schemes,

Bingo! That's what I was trying to said. Yes here in this forum some people are willing to make a proposal, some alternative and those are the things that I appreciate the most. Unfortunately isn't the majority. I'm not well versed in game development so I can't go there and tell "how it should be done" and I the controls for me felt awkward at the beginning but I adjusted to them. I'm no authority. And I knew I was playing a R* game. The problem is with the big outlets, praising the game despite the controls. No fire under R*. Game is a 10 is narrative but a 7 in controls. But no major outlet make a true emphasis on that.

Someone mentioned Skyrim in previous posts, is the same thing. The game feels so "different" that people are willing to make exceptions.

Regardless High five my fellow Latino Era.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I've bought 3 rockstar games and everytime I've been disappointed in how boring they all feel to play. I still don't understand why they are insisting on using button mash-to-run. It feels absolutely aweful.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure why the comparisons to GTA V and Witcher 3 are warranted. Seriously, play RDR2 and those two games back to back. RDR2's controls and input lag are *way* worse. GTA V feels practically fluid comparatively.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
. There isn't a fire under Rockstar motivating them to improve their control schemes,

Bingo! That's what I was trying to said. Yes here in this forum some people are willing to make a proposal, some alternative and those are the things that I appreciate the most. Unfortunately isn't the majority. I'm not well versed in game development so I can't go there and tell "how it should be done" and I the controls for me felt awkward at the beginning but I adjusted to them. I'm no authority. And I knew I was playing a R* game. The problem is with the big outlets, praising the game despite the controls. No fire under R*. Game is a 10 is narrative but a 7 in controls. But no major outlet make a true emphasis on that.

Someone mentioned Skyrim in previous posts, is the same thing. The game feels so "different" that people are willing to make exceptions.

Regardless High five my fellow Latino Era.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you agree?

I feel like it's the same shit every year and it gets really tiring to what extreme lengths people go to. I mean, I get it, you didn't enjoy RDR2, that's fine. I didn't enjoy God of War as much as most people around here, but that's more because of ME, not because the game is "absolute dog doo doo", Jesus.

Welcome to the internet, people are myopic as fuck.

Case in point, last year, when The Last Jedi came out, certain SW fans were so pissed they were claiming it was worse than Attack of the Clones.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the controls and weight felt great.

Right after I finished RDR2 I started with AC:Odyssey and boy was the first hour hard to get into. After all the time playing RDR it felt like the character in AC was floating and running around super unrealistically. It took me an hour or two to get used to it.

I'm about to wrap things up in AC:Odyssey and will do another play through of Red Dead, I have a feeling i'm going to have a hard time going from one extreme to the other lol

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you agree?

Yeah, I do. I'm also unhappy with the selective moderation of this kind of discourse (some games aren't allowed to get multiple threads in this vein, others are), and unhappy with the general lack of understanding of subjectivity displayed by a lot of people, but those are both factors beyond my control.
It extends but not to this degree.
I know, Era tends to be harsher in general.
You would think every critically acclaimed game is trash going by all the hyperbolic negative threads you see for them on here.
Breath of the Wild is a tech demo, fam
Oh I have no doubt.

Everything gets trashed everywhere and when something like RDR2's control scheme comes into the equation, I fully expect that plenty of people are going to take issue with it.
Yeah, because it really could have been better 😛 I like the game but goddamn do the controls suck

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought the controls and weight felt great.

Right after I finished RDR2 I started with AC:Odyssey and boy was the first hour hard to get into. After all the time playing RDR it felt like the character in AC was floating and running around super unrealistically. It took me an hour or two to get used to it.

I'm about to wrap things up in AC:Odyssey and will do another play through of Red Dead, I have a feeling i'm going to have a hard time going from one extreme to the other lol

I had the same experience. I got so used to how heavy and deliberate Arthur was in all of his actions, going to AC it was crazy weird. Felt like he was going to float away light as a feather. I really enjoyed the way RDR2 controlled. I think some things could be tweaked (hitching horse wtf give me a button prompt aaaggh) but overall once you got used to it I enjoyed the meaty weight it had.

AlphaDump

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to see a Digital Foundry analysis of the input lag in RDR2. I think there is a valid discussion to be had there.