• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
To those sitting with the base ps4 version, I know that the framerate can apparently drop to the mid 20's, is that the worst case scenario in heavy populated/busy areas? And otherwise it's smooth 30fps sailing?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just a quick question.. all the footage from before the game was released, was from PS4 pro, you guys even analyzed it.. was the same thing not visible in the footage back then?
It is and I pointed it out. It just blew up even more than expected. I actually think it looks pretty OK on my TV from a normal viewing distance. Soft but ok. I think it looks worse comparing still shots.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It is and I pointed it out. It just blew up even more than expected. I actually think it looks pretty OK on my TV from a normal viewing distance. Soft but ok. I think it looks worse comparing still shots.

thanks for the answer.. you guys do great work over at DF. A shame most of your work is only used for Console wars..

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
However I'm reminded of how much I hate the Xbox controller. The bubbly plastic buttons feel so terrible to press, especially in a game where I have to mash a button to gallop a horse.

If you're really hating it you could pick up a Brook Super Converter and use your Dualshock on Xbox. I use a Xbox One/360 to PS4 adaptor and basically use my Xbox Elite controller on every PS4 game (so the reverse!). Works flawlessly.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Right? Usually I'm far from conspiracy theories but something just feels off here considering technical R&D R* has to have.
Not totally unexpected. Not so much time ago R said to choice this TAA just because it's the most affordable solution for their finances, if I'm not wrong. Knowing the particularity of the Pro hardware, it sounds like a presage. Now let's hope it was not a preventive "end of the story" such statement.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to take screenshots later. If you want to know what I mean set your Pro's output to 1080p and then enable/disable supersampling in the PS4 settings. It's abysmal.
I did. Looks good in base 1080P. But also looks good with ss on. I play on a 100inch screen with a HD projector and it looks good with SS on.
Not as good as what i've seen from the XboxOneX but still good. Clean and without artifacts.

A word like "abysmal" really doesn't come to mind at all. So i'm not sure what is going on. Do you have HDR on or off?

Oct 27, 2017
To those sitting with the base ps4 version, I know that the framerate can apparently drop to the mid 20's, is that the worst case scenario in heavy populated/busy areas? And otherwise it's smooth 30fps sailing?

Base PS4 here, I still have yet to rebuild the database like I want to, but...wilderness is smooth, from the opening snow conditions to breaking camp, and riding all the way from that camp to Saint Denis. This includes riding to individual houses and ranches. You pass stagecoaches and such on the roads and everything still runs fine.

As for towns like Valentine, nighttime is smoother than daytime. Daytime appears to slow intermittently, but not terribly so. In Saint Denis there are a few areas where it really seems to drag, and that's just riding on the horse without any other action happening on screen. Dark1x has noted that the framerate doesn't measure as dipping down as much as it visually appears to, so we don't know the whole story here yet why it's so off-putting on base consoles.

Since I rode to Saint Denis just to see it, and not really playing the story, I can't say how much of an impact it will have when playing story missions and such. But the first few story missions in Valentine played fine.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I did. Looks good in base 1080P. But also looks good with ss on. I play on a 100inch screen with a HD projector and it looks good with SS on.
Not as good as what i've seen from the XboxOneX but still good. Clean and without artifacts.

A word like "abysmal" really doesn't come to mind at all. So i'm not sure what is going on. Do you have HDR on or off?

I have HDR off because my TV doesn't support it. I really can't see how we could have such different experiences? I swear I'm not exaggerating, it really is a huge and immediately noticable difference when I enable SS. Normally I don't really care for slight differences between versions, I mainly bought the Pro for better framerate in Battlefield 1.

I would describe the image with SS on as having lost all detail. Everything is super blurry, like I put one of those filters for bathroom windows over my TV.

I'll take screenshots later, but it might be a couple of hours.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
VGTech
Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160. PS4 Pro, when outputting at 2160p, seems to render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using checkerboard rendering. However, there appears to be an issue with the reconstruction which causes pixel counts to come in at 1920x2160 in most cases. PS4 Pro renders natively at 1920x1080 when the system is outputting at 1080p with supersampling disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiXyBebIXQ&t=8s

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen enough images that give the impression, but is there some consensus that the Pro version with the system set to 1080p gives a cleaner image than the actual 4K mode? I didn't want to assume so, just because I know people can be hyperbolic (especially during a launch window). Direct capture of the 4K mode hasn't looked great, in terms of IQ/artifacting, but I also know how varied the conditions in-game can be.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I have HDR off because my TV doesn't support it. I really can't see how we could have such different experiences? I swear I'm not exaggerating, it really is a huge and immediately noticable difference when I enable SS. Normally I don't really care for slight differences between versions, I mainly bought the Pro for better framerate in Battlefield 1.

I would describe the image with SS on as having lost all detail. Everything is super blurry, like I put one of those filters for bathroom windows over my TV.

I'll take screenshots later, but it might be a couple of hours.
Okay, curious to see them. It's indeed weird that the experiences are so different.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah in order to play this 1080p mode on a Pro we need a 1080p TV, since the game natively downsamples. I think the game looks fine on Pro, but I haven't played the 1080p mode. But having played it on X and Pro, I think it looks great on both, with X having the much better IQ. The 1080p mode does lock the frame rate to 30 so there is that if you have a 1080p TV.

Even if it really is just doing 1080p, the better texture filtering/quality and ambient occlusion would come through on the Pro (on top of the performance gains).

Siever

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen enough images that give the impression, but is there some consensus that the Pro version with the system set to 1080p gives a cleaner image than the actual 4K mode? I didn't want to assume so, just because I know people can be hyperbolic (especially during a launch window). Direct capture of the 4K mode hasn't looked great, in terms of IQ/artifacting, but I also know how varied the conditions in-game can be.
There is no consensus because it depends on preference. On 1080p you lose clarity at distance but gain overall sharpness up close and to my eyes it looks better.
And the sole fact that this is even a matter of debate is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think it's that. It's just that we hadn't had a super close look at it. Now it's clear that the CBR + TAA approach doesn't really work well here.

Do you think they will be able to change the CBR at this stage or do you think they might change just change the TAA.

NXGamer talked about the sharpening filter being disabled with HDR on and it can make the IQ look better in non HDR mode, so maybe they could enable that while HDR is on to sharpen up the IQ a little, providing it plays well with the CBR.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing that's the jpeg compression making it look that soft? still such a beautiful game but it is a shame to see the PS4 Pro get the such short end of the stick here. Every screenshot looks like a photo or a painting imo, simply stunning.
Nope, it is this soft more or less, but I would still take this soft image over a 1080p + sharpness filter. I wouldn't want to lose half the pixels just to make some foreground elements appear artificially sharpened.

Last edited:

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
I got my PS4 Pro hooked up on a 1080p TV. I´ve tried playing with Super Sampling enabled but eventually turned it off again. In my Imagination(?) the Screen looks blurrier than with SS off.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems that Pro with 1080p and supersambling disabled, look and run better than supersamling enabled, maybe little more jaggies but it's still little cleaner.

Last edited:

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im still shocked at how much worse it looks for ps4 pro 4k users than the x version. especially when in bushes etc. (I have both versions)

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the "glitch" on Pro? I know HDR isn't working correctly, but in regards to the reconstruction technique, its just not a good one, maybe they'll update it, or maybe not.

There are plenty of other games on Pro where the reconstruction technique looks just like this such as Monster Hunter World, Destiny 2 and more. Those were never changed, to ask for a new reconstruction technique to be implemented is going to leave you waiting.

It is no knock against the Pro, Spider-Man looks so much cleaner using Insomniac's temporal injection than what Rockstar used here, and that game hovers around 1440p even with the reconstruction technique. I have been playing it everyday since release using my 4K 60" set as a monitor and it looks fantastic.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that. It's just that we hadn't had a super close look at it. Now it's clear that the CBR + TAA approach doesn't really work well here.
I am playing it on native 4k xbox one x and it doesnt look all the sharp on it either. maybe its because i have hdr on, but the trees near the horseshoe camps have this very muddy look for a native 4k game.

horizon looked much sharper.

oddly enough the game looked much better in the snow areas.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing it on native 4k xbox one x and it doesnt look all the sharp on it either. maybe its because i have hdr on, but the trees near the horseshoe camps have this very muddy look for a native 4k game.

I think most of it comes down to their aggressive TAA solution. Based on the screens, even the XBX version isn't a super crisp looking game, compared to Pro it is but compared to other recent games, it's still a very soft looking game.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What is TF2? Am I supposed to know these acronyms on a whim? Seems to be a thing that some people do here and it's hard to decipher without an true contxt.
Titanfall 2. The case in question was when the dynamic resolution was not correct on the One X. Respawn quickly responded with a fix. People hope the influence of Digital Foundry will do the same for the Pro to increase quality there.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Base PS4 here, I still have yet to rebuild the database like I want to, but...wilderness is smooth, from the opening snow conditions to breaking camp, and riding all the way from that camp to Saint Denis. This includes riding to individual houses and ranches. You pass stagecoaches and such on the roads and everything still runs fine.

As for towns like Valentine, nighttime is smoother than daytime. Daytime appears to slow intermittently, but not terribly so. In Saint Denis there are a few areas where it really seems to drag, and that's just riding on the horse without any other action happening on screen. Dark1x has noted that the framerate doesn't measure as dipping down as much as it visually appears to, so we don't know the whole story here yet why it's so off-putting on base consoles.

Since I rode to Saint Denis just to see it, and not really playing the story, I can't say how much of an impact it will have when playing story missions and such. But the first few story missions in Valentine played fine.

Appreciate the feedback! And sounds good enough for me once Im jumping in.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
What is TF2? Am I supposed to know these acronyms on a whim? Seems to be a thing that some people do here and it's hard to decipher without an true contxt.
Yeah Americans love to talk in abbreviations and acronyms. They don't seem to realize these have different meanings depending on the topic and the country. But i guess it looks really cool if you type in acronyms or something like that.

Titanfall 2 in this case, guessing.

In the comments and you can also see the difference in framerate.
Oh yeah. Thanx.
Anyway, youtube compression sucks but it's clear that the Pro version is a lot softer than the XboxOneX version.
It's perfectly playable but Rockstar needs to react to this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Americans love to talk in abbreviations and acronyms. They don't seem to realize these have different meanings depending on the topic and the country. But i guess it looks really cool if you type in acronyms or something like that.

Titanfall 2 in this case, guessing.

Relax, please. On this forum people use acronyms and abbreviations all the time. And people (of any nationality) have to ask for clarification of whether GoW means Gears of War or God of War from time to time, for instance.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing to explain. George Romero is being hyperbolic beyond any normal standards. It's almost embarrassing to see users act like this.
!

Yeah, the hypoerbole regarding just how terrible the PS4 Pro version looks is through the roof.

OK, some more approximations of some XBX screens seen earlier in this thread on the Pro. Both XBX courtesy of Theorry

XBX
158633cd-734b-4932-96qkcp7.png

PS4 Pro

reddeadredemption2_2088ct6.png

XBX

904369ac-0d29-4032-81nacpi.png

PS4 Pro

reddeadredemption2_20ejfhg.png

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

It's soft due to TAA but Horizon is definitely not sharper. They also opted for a very soft image. It's impressive that Horizon's CBR mode is comparable to native 4K here, though.

I actually wasn't originally certain that Horizon was 4K CBR, to be honest, as it's quite soft. They intentionally didn't go for that single pixel precision - that's what we were told at their office. It was more about delivering a clean, filmic image.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

There's no way Horizon would look sharper unless something about your setup wasn't configured right, or your view distance is far enough back to just miss detail that's there. The picture quality is more film-like, but the detail is still obvious. I have a feeling the intention was about avoiding "gamey" things like micro-crawl and aliasing.

I...can't say I've heard of that as a thing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I...can't say I've heard of that as a thing.
Well i don't know, haha. It just seems that way on this forum and on GAF. It's used so much. And it always just confuses stuff.

Relax, please. On this forum people use acronyms and abbreviations all the time. And people (of any nationality) have to ask for clarification of whether GoW means Gears of War or God of War from time to time, for instance.
I am relaxed. But i think acronyms and abbreviations are not very clear in an international forum. That's all.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a way to run this game in 4K tv forcing 1080p and to look as sharp as it does on 1080p TVs? Because as I understand it the whole deal is to disable SS, an option that is not available if your TV is 4K. So I end up forcing 1080p, but the IQ is worse than 2160p due to the SS being left on. Please help.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to run this game in 4K tv forcing 1080p and to look as sharp as it does on 1080p TVs? Because as I understand it the whole deal is to disable SS, an option that is not available if your TV is 4K. So I end up forcing 1080p, but the IQ is worse than 2160p due to the SS being left on. Please help.

On the PS4 you can turn system wide super sampling off in your PS4 settings too.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
Whats with the "Sharpness" option. "Ajusting the sharpness filter can improve the quality of how the game looks and reduce any issues with blurring." It says.

Someone at R* knows this is blurry or they wouldn't have that setting.