• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Set your output to 1080p maybe? Don't have a 4K set so maybe someone can chime in who does.

Well, I played for a few hours on a 23 inch 1080p monitor and downsampled looked so much better than the basic image, maybe because of the inherent sharpness to PC monitors and better pixel density. Went back to my 42 inch TV, doesn't look as good.

'Weird stuff is going on' is probably the best summation for this game. Seems to be all over the place in terms of checkerboard, HDR and SS implementation.
It would be great if they at the very least have the courtesy to tell us they are looking in to this. Have anyone tried to contact Rockstar? Is there a forum?

Siever

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think there are a lot of people who say the Pro looks bad. Its just that it is very very poorly implemented and that it would be great if R* addressed this. There are times were the Pro version looks worse than PS4. Its normal for a pro user who has invested 400$ for the sole purpose of better gfx and performance to complain for the lack of it in the most important release of the year.
Exactly. People have to understand that complaints don't stem from XboxOneX technical superiority at all but from poor decisions R* made implementig current Pro upscaling solution which litteraly destroys any gains in resolution over base PS4. This is not right at all and should be stated loud and clearly.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Out of my curiosity: the sharpness slider improves the blurriness on the Pro? DF didn't mentioned it and kinda of curious what changes (I have the X version but I'm still very curious about the pro version).

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I am absolutely dumbfounding that some players think the Pro version looks bad.
I enjoy these comparisons but they've never stopped me playing because the version I own performs worst than the other.
I'm glad the X version is better because it should be, the hardware is more expensive and worth it but I own a Pro because I prefer the Sony exclusives, controller, PSVR and UI.
I used to own a X but until MS change the UI, I have zero interest in owning another one.
I'm with you. Hate with all myself Xbox UI but the performance advantage give me no choice to get the X version. If the Pro would've run better, I care relatively about the blurriness issue (though I admit, I hate how smeared is the vegetation).

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
I am absolutely dumbfounding that some players think the Pro version looks bad.
I enjoy these comparisons but they've never stopped me playing because the version I own performs worst than the other.
I'm glad the X version is better because it should be, the hardware is more expensive and worth it but I own a Pro because I prefer the Sony exclusives, controller, PSVR and UI.
I used to own a X but until MS change the UI, I have zero interest in owning another one.

I have been following this thread on and off, there have been some corkers - but I have to ask, what has any of this got to do the price of bread? Why not just say "more people bought it on PlayStation"... oh wait..

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if they at the very least have the courtesy to tell us they are looking in to this. Have anyone tried to contact Rockstar? Is there a forum?

Probably is a forum. Is anyone outside of this thread bothered though lol? Not looking forward to the patch/update lottery either though, can see things changing quickly ala Witcher 3.

Wait a second: sharpness slider is just at 1080p?

Correct. Disappears when output is above that.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Um...isnt the user interface in the game more or less the same?? Unless ppl are referring to the dashboard interface, if so, who would care when playing a game, u in the dashboard for like 5 seconds.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Um...isnt the user interface in the game more or less the same?? Unless ppl are referring to the dashboard interface, if so, who would care when playing a game, u in the dashboard for like 5 seconds.

UI is just code for "I prefer Sony".

I mean its absolutely ridiculous at this point to base a decision on any console UI. They are all different, you may have preference but c'mon.....it barely matters either way. They all let you buy games, and play game and none are tricky to make that happen...anyhow I digress....

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Probably is a forum. Is anyone outside of this thread bothered though lol? Not looking forward to the patch/update lottery either though, can see things changing quickly ala Witcher 3.

Correct. Disappears when output is above that.
That smell of bug to me. 4k mode is the only which needs of such option.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I mean its absolutely ridiculous at this point to base a decision on any console UI. They are all different, you may have preference but c'mon.....it barely matters either way. They all let you buy games, and play game and none are tricky to make that happen...anyhow I digress....
I my code I prefer sony but because I find their UI more intuitive.Both UI for me, are not absolutely identical, I'd like more if it was. I find extremely confusing the Xbox UI and I haven't understand yet how is handled the whole catalogue...now I'm not saying pro UI is the best ever but at least I see immediately how to go in my whole catalogue without turn around the different side bar menu...by the way we are in OT territory.

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second, there's a sharpness slider option? Is that also available for the base PS4? Need to turn off super sampling and try this out soon. Wonder how the game will look at 1080p on a 100" display. I didn't have game/immersion breaking issues with the supersampling mode enabled.

Siever

Oct 29, 2017
It would be great if DF made video analysing 1080p options on PS4 Pro and making a deeper dive on what exactly is going on with sharpness and HDR on 4K sets..
1080p and Pro is quite common setup and can almost lock framerate to 30. (and make console quiet which can be preferable if someone play at night with kids around).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x Was that taken while the camera was moving ? It could explain the blurriness of the Pro version. Checkerboard rendering can be quite blurry in motion, particularly on vegetation.
No. That's a static shot. I snapped it after waking up in the camp and leaving the camera in place.

Sure. But DF stated that the XBX version runs better than the Pro version, which is wrong.
In the modes tested, it's clearly noted that the X runs better than Pro using their 4K modes. This is correct.

I suppose if you're willing to take a huge hit to image quality the gap is closed and Pro might be better faster in a couple small instances.

This whole situation is crazy. The Pro version isn't what it should be. Period. It's not as sharp is it could be and performance is slightly less unless you drop the resolution. That's not exactly a great solution.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second, there's a sharpness slider option? Is that also available for the base PS4? Need to turn off super sampling and try this out soon. Wonder how the game will look at 1080p on a 100" display. I didn't have game/immersion breaking issues with the supersampling mode enabled.
It looks fine. I'm also playing on 100 inch screen with a 1080P projector. Both look great but i prefer the cleaner look with SS On. But i was surprised the base PS4 version still looked good on that size.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I'm playing on X1X and the graphics are insane. I canceled my PS4 pre-order day of to buy an X1X and play it on that instead.

However I'm reminded of how much I hate the Xbox controller. The bubbly plastic buttons feel so terrible to press, especially in a game where I have to mash a button to gallop a horse.

I would rather play on PS4 but I'm getting the definitive graphical experience on my X1X. It looks divine in HDR 4K.

This, I'm struggling adjusting...I'm fine with exclusives, really odd! lol

The UI is bad though...it's slow and a nightmare to find anything. I do agree though, it's like the last reason to 'chose a side'! lol

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fine. I'm also playing on 100 inch screen with a 1080P projector. Both look great but i prefer the cleaner look with SS On. But i was surprised the base PS4 version still looked good on that size.

So I am not alone then, I did find the game with SS on spectacular. There were two specific sections in the environment that did come across a bit blurry than it's supposed to be. Outside of that beautiful visuals nonetheless.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So I am not alone then, I did find the game with SS on spectacular. There were two specific sections in the environment that did come across a bit blurry than it's supposed to be. Outside of that beautiful visuals nonetheless.
Yep. Just softer than the X version. But clean, noiseless and looking good... Still hope Rockstar can take a look at things since stuff seems to be wrong for a lot of people. But i'm a graphics whore and on a 100 inch screen all graphical artifacts become visible real fast. But it looks good... Can't say anything else. Still, you can try out disabling SS yourself.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
No. That's a static shot. I snapped it after waking up in the camp and leaving the camera in place.

In the modes tested, it's clearly noted that the X runs better than Pro using their 4K modes. This is correct.

I suppose if you're willing to take a huge hit to image quality the gap is closed and Pro might be better faster in a couple small instances.

This whole situation is crazy. The Pro version isn't what it should be. Period. It's not as sharp is it could be and performance is slightly less unless you drop the resolution. That's not exactly a great solution.

Exactly. I am glad you are now telling it as it is. I thought you were very lenient on your video although I can absolutely understand why you were. But the hard truth is this. The Pro version is just sloppy. Not what it should be. Pretty crazy if you think that Sony had a marketing deal with them. We can only hope that R* does something about it.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Glad to hear from you. Now lets hope R will care about it and will fix it in the future for the only pro owners but probably will not happens in short times.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Not sure if it's a problem with your video device or you're being sarcastic. I've been playing on the PS4 Pro on a 100" display(gaming projector) on supersampled mode enabled and it doesn't look like a blurry mess as how you've mentioned it to be. Game looks jaw dropping for the most part.
I truly wish I was exaggerating but it is indeed pretty blurry. Its most certainly not my setup as I don't have this game with other titles. On a 55" uhd game, it's just blurry. The foliage especially lacks clarity due to the checkerboarding solution and taa. You only need to watch the NX gamer video to confirm this for yourself. I for the life of me cannot understand what Rockstar was thinking.

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for the clarifications sir. I'm still happy with the overall visual output on the Pro from the game. Could it be even better than what we are getting? I guess so, based on how good Spider-Man looked.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
People are spewing so much bullshit in here and the OT it's laughable. Yeah... game looks bad cause the competitor got it running at native 4K, we get it!

tenor.gif

No, you obviously don't get it. Read all of the posts again about people complaining it's blurry. Nobody with a Pro cares about the X version. They care that it's blurry and looks worse than the base PS4 at 1080p.

Nov 30, 2017
Thank you DF for confirming what lots of us suspected.

After playing several games at 2160CB or other resolutions I knew something wasnt right.

I quit posting about it because I decided to skip this or wait it out to see what, if any, problem existed. Still followed the thread.

A bit disappointed that the giant known as R* would get it wrong.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'm playing on X1X and the graphics are insane. I canceled my PS4 pre-order day of to buy an X1X and play it on that instead.

However I'm reminded of how much I hate the Xbox controller. The bubbly plastic buttons feel so terrible to press, especially in a game where I have to mash a button to gallop a horse.

I would rather play on PS4 but I'm getting the definitive graphical experience on my X1X. It looks divine in HDR 4K.

:)

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's that. It's just that we hadn't had a super close look at it. Now it's clear that the CBR + TAA approach doesn't really work well here.

Just a quick question.. all the footage from before the game was released, was from PS4 pro, you guys even analyzed it.. was the same thing not visible in the footage back then?

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
What is it wrong about it exactly? There are reported to many people is an annoying problem in their 4K TV, what's wrong exactly to pretend from R to check it? I don't get your outraging.
Where are you getting outrage from? Pro owners stated there was a problem 30 pages ago and was called liars basically and salty because of the XB1X version. Now that DF confirmed a possible issue, now it could be an issue???

In the DF video, this should've been stated as the 1080P version is sharper than a resolution that is doubled.

On a different note, I hope DF revisits this just as TF2 was on the X.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Where are you getting outrage from? Pro owners stated there was a problem 30 pages ago and was called liars basically and salty because of the XB1X version. Now that DF confirmed a possible issue, now it could be an issue???

In the DF video, this should've been stated as the 1080P version is sharper than a resolution that is doubled.

On a different note, I hope DF revisits this just as TF2 was on the X.
He already said to cant check the 1080p mode for his TV setup. You know, isn't it exactly the normality expect such anomaly.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just a quick question.. all the footage from before the game was released, was from PS4 pro, you guys even analyzed it.. was the same thing not visible in the footage back then?
I posted probably about 2x on occasion in DF threads mentioning how I did not like the chunky look their resolution had in preview videos. Yeah, we talked about it before release but it just became much more obvious when put next to a native resolution.

Nov 30, 2017
I dont think they missed anything really. Even in the 2nd video he says "we've seen better on PRO" . They had to get their analysis out the door though.

Others who have played Ratchet and Clank, HZD, or similar games felt something was "off" . There is literally pages of people saying the same.

Again, thanks DF for taking time to confirm it all.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I posted probably about 2x on occasion in DF threads mentioning how I did not like the chunky look their resolution had in preview videos. Yeah, we talked about it before release but it just became much more obvious when put next to a native resolution.

Thanks... I just bought myself a 55" LG Tv this weekend (not Oled, because those are still to expensive here) saw a great deal.. Have yet to try the game with 4K and HDR, need to adjust my TV so that I get the most out of the picture... and I am new to HDR, so this is all so strange to me..